Start by marking “The Greens Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine from the Celebrated Restaurant” as Want to Read:

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  755 ratings  ·  30 reviews
"The Greens Cookbook" is that rarity, a book that truly represents a revolution in cooking. Here are the recipes that helped to create the boldly original and highly successful Greens Restaurant on San Francisco Bay. Not only for vegetarians, this book caters to everyone who seeks delight in cooking and eating. Using an extraordinary range of fresh ingredients in imaginati ...more
Published April 17th 2001 by Broadway Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Greens Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Greens Cookbook

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
172nd out of 845 books — 853 voters
Gluten Free Slow Cooker by F.L. CloverVegetarian Times Complete Cookbook by Vegetarian TimesLorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen by Lorna J. SassMy Sweet Vegan by Hannah KaminskyAmazing Lemonade Recipes To Thirst For! by Amber Richards
Great Veg Cookbooks
29th out of 31 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Elizabeth
Jul 29, 2007 Elizabeth rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: vegetarians and their friends
Shelves: cookingandbaking

This was my first vegetarian cookbook, and it served me well. Like many cookbooks, my main problem with it is ingredient fussiness: we can't all find caper berries, try though we might. I first bought this book in England and was using it there while cooking in a dorm on four unreliable electric hobs, and it got me through many dinner parties. For regular meals, though, the recipes need too much planning. That said, many are not very time-intensive at all. Pasta with tomato and tarragon cream wa
Kjsrlee
Borrowed from library, used recipes from it for a week, and then renewed it for another 3 weeks. May now have to actually buy it... Liked better than Moosewood books.
Nancy Noyes-ward
Great book. One of my favorite vegetarian cookbooks, and I have a bunch.
Kristen
I agree with Carey's assessment of the limitations of this cookbook, however I do think that it provides some fundamental ideas on how to think outside the "vegetarian" box, aka, putting everything in your refrigerator into a skillet and frying it up. Unfortunately Madison goes the other direction by requiring obscure ingredients such as chervil (isn't parsley good enough?), thereby alienating a would-be receptive audience. Either way the pictures are nice, I do not understand why anyone would e ...more
Jana
I've only eaten at the Greens restaurant once. The food was good, but I think because I already had the cookbook, I was expecting more. Not sure why exactly because this is one of those books that, while it's quite good, feels a bit old-fashioned... maybe because of the more traditional French feel. I guess that's why the food wasn't brilliantly memorable.

I do still use the cookbook though. There's a lovely fresh and bright tasting Potato-Sorrel Soup that continues to be one of my favorites.
I should preface this review by stating that my husband and I love the Greens restaurant and go there every time we are in San Francisco.

This is a great cookbook that should be a part of any vegetarian or vegan library. The recipes are generally not fast or easy (some ingredients are difficult to get, depending on where you live) so I wouldn't suggest it for beginning or busy cooks. However, these recipes make the most out of wholesome ingredients and are delightful to serve (and eat!).
Tanya Lolonis
one of 3 cookbooks i am always referring to, working from. the others are alice waters' "the art of simple food" and marcella hazan's "the essentials of italian cooking", which is falling apart. "greens" requires the most ingredients, most chopping, most work, but the results are always spot-on and deliriously good.
MissInformation
Exceptional flavors and flavor combinations: not watered down for cookbookland. The recipes are a bit complex, but you can substitute a little here and there and still have amazing results.
Red wine and red onion soup is a staple for me. The book opens to it now when I set it down.
Jill
Oct 03, 2008 Jill rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Jill by: Gloria Yoshida
This is my absolute favorite cookbook. The recipes are not too labor intensive, but they are more work than my typical weeknight dinner fare.

I like cooking from this book so much that we eat vegetarian many times a week as a result.

Good stuff.
Chelsea Feldman
If you have ever eaten at Greens, you know why this is a must-have cookbook. The Greens Cookbook has unbelievably yummy gourmet veggie recipes on every page. We use lots of these recipes for entertaining and special occasions.
I've had this since the early nineties and use it a LOT. Although not a vegetarian, I do eat a lot of meatless meals, and whether I follow a recipe religiously or not, she provides a lot of great jumping off points!
Ashleigh
I love this book! Although it has no photographs, the recipes are wonderful. Some great ideas and fresh takes on veggie meals. Some of the recipes have a lot of ingredients but I think its worth doing by the book!
Catherine Woodman
I love this Fort Mason restaurant, and this cookbook allows you to make a meal that reproduces the food they serve--the recipes are pretty detailed but they do come out (just take time)
Nyna
This vegetarian cookbook can stand right alongside "Sundays at Moosewood" and "Moosewood Cooks at Home." It is a different style of vegetarian cooking, but equally good.
I am going to buy a copy of this one; Madison has a lot of recipes for different seasons that could be made over a slow period of time, and her food is always delicious.
Kathleen Cooper
Nov 23, 2009 Kathleen Cooper rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to cook
Recommended to Kathleen by: Margaret Fox
I'm not a vegetarian, but I like to try and cook vegetables in imaginative ways. I've been cooking with this cookbook for over 20 years. It is a standby in my kitchen.
Catherine Woodman
This is the classic cookbook from my favorite vegetarian restaurant of my youth--but it is not simple food to make--deicious, but not simple
Kristen
Recipes that I like from this book: Pizza with escarole, Fontina and walnuts; spinach noodle pudding; semolina pudding with blood orange syrup.
Misae Sakamura onaka
It is a treasure house of wonderful recipes!!! A friend gave this book to me over 20 years ago. I have enjoyed the recipes over the years.
Whitney
I wanted to like this cookbook but it is just too far out of my cooking style to be of much use.
Dioscita
Though sometimes fussier than I like to cook, these are all delicious, memorable recipes.
Beka
No pictures and somewhat complicated recipes. Not the greatest to me.
Candice Chrestman
My most used cookbook. I can not live without it. I just add meat if I need!
Deborah madison--I am a huge fan, going back to the '70's, until now
Citoyenne
May 01, 2007 Citoyenne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: vegetarians, rich folk
Shelves: cookbooks
Nothing in this book can be made for under $30. Still, yum.
Mark Desrosiers
Some amazing pizza recipes in here, believe it or not.
reed
I thought this was a cookbook about greens. It's not :)
Cherie
B Some good interesting recipes; I want to eat here!
Trisha Keiman
great vegetarian meals and very creative
CD
Jul 30, 2011 CD added it
Excellent cookbook for vegetarians.
  • Chez Panisse Vegetables
  • The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking
  • Still Life with Menu Cookbook
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • The New Laurel's Kitchen
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World
  • Passionate Vegetarian
  • The Tassajara Bread Book
  • Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia
  • The Slow Mediterranean Kitchen: Recipes for the Passionate Cook
  • The Breakfast Book
  • Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • Vegetarian Planet: 350 Big-Flavor Recipes for Out-Of-This-World Food Every Day
Deborah Madison is an American chef, writer and cooking teacher. She has been called an expert on vegetarian cooking and her gourmet repertoire showcases fresh garden produce. Her work also highlights Slow Food, local foods and farmers' markets.
More about Deborah Madison...
Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone Local Flavors: Cooking and Eating from America's Farmers' Markets Vegetable Literacy: Cooking and Gardening with Twelve Families from the Edible Plant Kingdom Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation What We Eat When We Eat Alone: Stories and 100 Recipes