Start by marking “The Greens Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine from the Celebrated Restaurant” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  1,057 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
"The Greens Cookbook" is that rarity, a book that truly represents a revolution in cooking. Here are the recipes that helped to create the boldly original and highly successful Greens Restaurant on San Francisco Bay. Not only for vegetarians, this book caters to everyone who seeks delight in cooking and eating. Using an extraordinary range of fresh ingredients in ...more
Published April 17th 2001 by Broadway Books (first published 1987)

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
211th out of 1,019 books — 988 voters
Gluten Free Slow Cooker by F.L. CloverThe Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie KatzenFields Of Greens by Annie SomervilleVegetarian Times Complete Cookbook by Vegetarian TimesThe Greens Cookbook by Deborah Madison
Great Veg Cookbooks
5th out of 38 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Rose Finchio cole
Jan 02, 2015 Rose Finchio cole rated it it was amazing
Love the Pumpkin Bean Soup!
Jana
Jan 29, 2008 Jana rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I've only eaten at the Greens restaurant once. The food was good, but I think because I already had the cookbook, I was expecting more. Not sure why exactly because this is one of those books that, while it's quite good, feels a bit old-fashioned... maybe because of the more traditional French feel. I guess that's why the food wasn't brilliantly memorable.

I do still use the cookbook though. There's a lovely fresh and bright tasting Potato-Sorrel Soup that continues to be one of my favorites.
Sheena
Feb 14, 2015 Sheena rated it really liked it
Some people have criticized this book because of the many recipes that seem to require special stocks, but in fact ordinary veg stock or water works just fine - I think this is a hiccup in the translation from restaurant to kitchen. I am not a vegetarian yet I love some of the recipes in this book - the yellow and red pepper tart is good, as is the black bean chili. I also want to stress that it's a vegetarian, not vegan, book. So butter and cream are in - can't imagine the dessert section ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 29, 2007 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Recommends it for: vegetarians and their friends
Shelves: cookingandbaking

This was my first vegetarian cookbook, and it served me well. Like many cookbooks, my main problem with it is ingredient fussiness: we can't all find caper berries, try though we might. I first bought this book in England and was using it there while cooking in a dorm on four unreliable electric hobs, and it got me through many dinner parties. For regular meals, though, the recipes need too much planning. That said, many are not very time-intensive at all. Pasta with tomato and tarragon cream wa
Kristen
Mar 03, 2008 Kristen rated it liked it
I agree with Carey's assessment of the limitations of this cookbook, however I do think that it provides some fundamental ideas on how to think outside the "vegetarian" box, aka, putting everything in your refrigerator into a skillet and frying it up. Unfortunately Madison goes the other direction by requiring obscure ingredients such as chervil (isn't parsley good enough?), thereby alienating a would-be receptive audience. Either way the pictures are nice, I do not understand why anyone would ...more
Jul 23, 2007 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I should preface this review by stating that my husband and I love the Greens restaurant and go there every time we are in San Francisco.

This is a great cookbook that should be a part of any vegetarian or vegan library. The recipes are generally not fast or easy (some ingredients are difficult to get, depending on where you live) so I wouldn't suggest it for beginning or busy cooks. However, these recipes make the most out of wholesome ingredients and are delightful to serve (and eat!).
Tanya Lolonis
Jun 08, 2012 Tanya Lolonis rated it it was amazing
one of 3 cookbooks i am always referring to, working from. the others are alice waters' "the art of simple food" and marcella hazan's "the essentials of italian cooking", which is falling apart. "greens" requires the most ingredients, most chopping, most work, but the results are always spot-on and deliriously good.
Ashleigh
Aug 31, 2010 Ashleigh rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Although it has no photographs, the recipes are wonderful. Some great ideas and fresh takes on veggie meals. Some of the recipes have a lot of ingredients but I think its worth doing by the book!
Jill
Oct 03, 2008 Jill rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Jill by: Gloria Yoshida
This is my absolute favorite cookbook. The recipes are not too labor intensive, but they are more work than my typical weeknight dinner fare.

I like cooking from this book so much that we eat vegetarian many times a week as a result.

Good stuff.
Aug 01, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this since the early nineties and use it a LOT. Although not a vegetarian, I do eat a lot of meatless meals, and whether I follow a recipe religiously or not, she provides a lot of great jumping off points!
MissInformation
Dec 07, 2007 MissInformation rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Exceptional flavors and flavor combinations: not watered down for cookbookland. The recipes are a bit complex, but you can substitute a little here and there and still have amazing results.
Red wine and red onion soup is a staple for me. The book opens to it now when I set it down.
Chelsea Feldman
Jan 10, 2008 Chelsea Feldman rated it it was amazing
If you have ever eaten at Greens, you know why this is a must-have cookbook. The Greens Cookbook has unbelievably yummy gourmet veggie recipes on every page. We use lots of these recipes for entertaining and special occasions.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it
I love this Fort Mason restaurant, and this cookbook allows you to make a meal that reproduces the food they serve--the recipes are pretty detailed but they do come out (just take time)
Jan 21, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking, 2012
I am going to buy a copy of this one; Madison has a lot of recipes for different seasons that could be made over a slow period of time, and her food is always delicious.
Kristen
Feb 27, 2009 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books
Recipes that I like from this book: Pizza with escarole, Fontina and walnuts; spinach noodle pudding; semolina pudding with blood orange syrup.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the classic cookbook from my favorite vegetarian restaurant of my youth--but it is not simple food to make--deicious, but not simple
Misae Sakamura onaka
It is a treasure house of wonderful recipes!!! A friend gave this book to me over 20 years ago. I have enjoyed the recipes over the years.
Nyna
Aug 19, 2013 Nyna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This vegetarian cookbook can stand right alongside "Sundays at Moosewood" and "Moosewood Cooks at Home." It is a different style of vegetarian cooking, but equally good.
Kjsrlee
Feb 06, 2014 Kjsrlee rated it really liked it
Borrowed from library, used recipes from it for a week, and then renewed it for another 3 weeks. May now have to actually buy it... Liked better than Moosewood books.
Kathleen Cooper
Nov 23, 2009 Kathleen Cooper rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to cook
Recommended to Kathleen by: Margaret Fox
I'm not a vegetarian, but I like to try and cook vegetables in imaginative ways. I've been cooking with this cookbook for over 20 years. It is a standby in my kitchen.
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
May 31, 2013
Violet
Violet rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2012
Johno
Johno rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Jennie
Jennie rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Rachel Phillips
Rachel Phillips rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2014
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2011
Beka
Jul 12, 2012 Beka rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
No pictures and somewhat complicated recipes. Not the greatest to me.
Courtney
Courtney rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2011
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • Tassajara Cooking
  • Fields Of Greens
  • Chez Panisse Vegetables
  • The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen
  • Still Life with Menu Cookbook
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • The Vegetarian Planet: 350 Big-Flavor Recipes for Out-Of-This-World Food Every Day
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • Rose Elliot's New Complete Vegetarian
  • Passionate Vegetarian
  • The New Laurel's Kitchen
  • Flatbreads & Flavors
  • The New Whole Foods Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Resource for Healthy Eating
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World
  • New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, rev
Deborah Madison is an American chef, writer and cooking teacher. She has been called an expert on vegetarian cooking and her gourmet repertoire showcases fresh garden produce. Her work also highlights Slow Food, local foods and farmers' markets.
More about Deborah Madison...