Start by marking “Lost Woods: The Discovered Writing of Rachel Carson” as Want to Read:
Lost Woods: The Discovered Writing of Rachel Carson

Lost Woods: The Discovered Writing of Rachel Carson

When Rachel Carson died of cancer in 1964, her four books, including the environmental classic Silent Spring, had made her one of the most famous people in America. This trove of previously uncollected writings is a priceless addition to our knowledge of Rachel Carson, her affinity with the natural world, and her life.
Published September 15th 1999 by Beacon Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Woods

Jennifer Chin
Dec 01, 2008 Jennifer Chin rated it really liked it
Fascinating look at the forces that shaped Carson's life before she wrote Silent Spring, and a great portrait into some of her deeper passions and ambitions.
Rift Vegan
Mar 02, 2013 Rift Vegan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, rachel-carson
What a wonderful book! My favorite parts were... Her field notes: haha funny story about a little dog! "The Real World Around Us": just wow. "Clouds": something totally different. And I was happily surprised by "Preface to Animal Machines": factory farming was just beginning in Europe, and Rachel Carson was concerned about animal welfare.
Sara Takacs
Aug 27, 2013 Sara Takacs rated it really liked it
Get acquainted or re-acquainted with Rachel Carson. Her prose is beautiful and her plea to take care of our planet, well, more relevant than ever!
Skylinebal
Wonderfully informative about a deep thinker and compassionate leader.
Grady McCallie
Feb 15, 2014 Grady McCallie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well-chosen collection of writings of Rachel Carson, spanning her career and offering insight into her development as an ecologist, writer, and advocate. The selections include articles, personal letters, book prefaces, public speeches, and excerpts from Carson's field notebooks. Many of the pieces themselves are slightly formal in style - the descriptions of natural habitats are lyric; virtually all offer incisive observations about the natural world. Editor Linda Lear, who has published a bi ...more
Louis
May 14, 2012 Louis rated it it was amazing
Sometimes under a halogen with luck you'll meet the greatest writing in the world for yourself. More sensitive than Tolstoy, more informative wiki. At every time feeling disconnected I open it with my thumb and reguardless of the place I sink in and it is possible to read Rachel Carson's dedication for Claude DeBussy's newest work titled "La Mer", she had been called above all others because she thinks and responds to The Ocean as if it had the personality of a walking talking human being, a mos ...more
Louis Profeta
I remember reading Rachel Carson in school, The Silent Spring, this book is full of her speeches, essays, and responses to environmental questions that seem very current, with it's content and her excellent style of speaking and writing as a poet would.There are very beautiful thoughts when she speaks of the ocean and tells of the living ocean being similar to human life and the caring it gives us.
Sherrida Woodley
Oct 15, 2010 Sherrida Woodley is currently reading it
Another book on Rachel Carson that looks closely at her ethic and her vision. With the upcoming 50th anniversary of her book "Silent Spring" beginning to bring her name back to a new generation (or 2) of readers, I want to address her influence in my life. This book, I've heard, will help me hone in on some other facets of her life, lesser known but just as fascinating.
Jen
Jan 28, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
I really love this book.
Sara
Aug 24, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
Only got halfway through before it was due back at the library -- need to check it back out and finish it.
Elspeth
Mar 15, 2016 Elspeth rated it liked it
Shelves: environmentalism
A good introduction to the the writings of Rachel Carson. Short readings covering the range of her thought as well as more her life. I now plan to read Silent Spring.
C.A. Chicoine
Feb 13, 2013 C.A. Chicoine rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to introduce readers to Rachael Carson and her work.
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2012
Romila Sil
Romila Sil rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2011
Pansy Kwong
Pansy Kwong rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2016
Bill
Bill rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2010
Lisa Abellera
Lisa Abellera rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2013
Laurel
Laurel rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2013
Cindel
Cindel rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2012
Shreeya Pande
Shreeya Pande rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2014
Brittney
Brittney rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Mycelium Forest
Mycelium Forest rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2013
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2014
Bob Simpson
Bob Simpson rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2009
aleph3
aleph3 rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2015
SEY
SEY rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2013
Alison Perry
Alison Perry rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2008
Apq
Apq rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2013
Laura Sorrells
Laura Sorrells rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Shell Games: Rogues, Smugglers, and the Hunt for Nature's Bounty
  • Rachel Carson: Witness for Nature
  • Sweetness and Light: The Mysterious History of the Honeybee
  • Summer World: A Season of Bounty
  • Once & Future Giants: What Ice Age Extinctions Tell Us about the Fate of Earth's Largest Animals
  • Now or Never: Why We Must Act Now to End Climate Change and Create a Sustainable Future
  • Wake Up and Smell the Planet: The Non-Pompous, Non-Preachy Grist Guide to Greening Your Day
  • Darwin Slept Here: Discovery, Adventure, and Swimming Iguanas in Charles Darwin's South America
  • الكوارث العالمية: مقدمة قصيرة جدًّا
  • Dirt: The Erosion of Civilizations
  • Water: The Epic Struggle for Wealth, Power, and Civilization
  • Honeybee Democracy
  • The Fallen Sky: An Intimate History of Shooting Stars
Rachel Louise Carson (May 27, 1907 – April 14, 1964) was an American marine biologist and conservationist whose book Silent Spring and other writings are credited with advancing the global environmental movement.

Carson began her career as an aquatic biologist in the U.S. Bureau of Fisheries, and became a full-time nature writer in the 1950s. Her widely praised 1951 bestseller The Sea Around Us won
More about Rachel Carson...