Start by marking “Lost Woods: The Discovered Writing of Rachel Carson” as Want to Read:
Lost Woods: The Discovered Writing of Rachel Carson

Lost Woods: The Discovered Writing of Rachel Carson

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  11 reviews
When Rachel Carson died of cancer in 1964, her four books, including the environmental classic Silent Spring, had made her one of the most famous people in America. This trove of previously uncollected writings is a priceless addition to our knowledge of Rachel Carson, her affinity with the natural world, and her life.
Published September 15th 1999 by Beacon Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Woods

Grady McCallie
A well-chosen collection of writings of Rachel Carson, spanning her career and offering insight into her development as an ecologist, writer, and advocate. The selections include articles, personal letters, book prefaces, public speeches, and excerpts from Carson's field notebooks. Many of the pieces themselves are slightly formal in style - the descriptions of natural habitats are lyric; virtually all offer incisive observations about the natural world. Editor Linda Lear, who has published a bi ...more
Jennifer Chin
Fascinating look at the forces that shaped Carson's life before she wrote Silent Spring, and a great portrait into some of her deeper passions and ambitions.
Sara Takacs
Get acquainted or re-acquainted with Rachel Carson. Her prose is beautiful and her plea to take care of our planet, well, more relevant than ever!
Wonderfully informative about a deep thinker and compassionate leader.
Sometimes under a halogen with luck you'll meet the greatest writing in the world for yourself. More sensitive than Tolstoy, more informative wiki. At every time feeling disconnected I open it with my thumb and reguardless of the place I sink in and it is possible to read Rachel Carson's dedication for Claude DeBussy's newest work titled "La Mer", she had been called above all others because she thinks and responds to The Ocean as if it had the personality of a walking talking human being, a mos ...more
Louis Profeta
I remember reading Rachel Carson in school, The Silent Spring, this book is full of her speeches, essays, and responses to environmental questions that seem very current, with it's content and her excellent style of speaking and writing as a poet would.There are very beautiful thoughts when she speaks of the ocean and tells of the living ocean being similar to human life and the caring it gives us.
Sherrida Woodley
Jan 29, 2011 Sherrida Woodley is currently reading it
Another book on Rachel Carson that looks closely at her ethic and her vision. With the upcoming 50th anniversary of her book "Silent Spring" beginning to bring her name back to a new generation (or 2) of readers, I want to address her influence in my life. This book, I've heard, will help me hone in on some other facets of her life, lesser known but just as fascinating.
Rift Vegan
What a wonderful book! My favorite parts were... Her field notes: haha funny story about a little dog! "The Real World Around Us": just wow. "Clouds": something totally different. And I was happily surprised by "Preface to Animal Machines": factory farming was just beginning in Europe, and Rachel Carson was concerned about animal welfare.
Only got halfway through before it was due back at the library -- need to check it back out and finish it.
C.A. Chicoine
This is a great book to introduce readers to Rachael Carson and her work.
I really love this book.
Maria A.
Maria A. marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Rae marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Nita marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Genesisjacket marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Joanne added it
Sep 21, 2015
Steph marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Subbu marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Churba marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Carol marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Pablo marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Sonia Zamarripa
Sonia Zamarripa is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2015
Rosella marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Jacklynn marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
  • Shell Games: Rogues, Smugglers, and the Hunt for Nature's Bounty
  • Rachel Carson: Witness for Nature
  • Sweetness and Light: The Mysterious History of the Honeybee
  • Once & Future Giants: What Ice Age Extinctions Tell Us about the Fate of Earth's Largest Animals
  • Summer World: A Season of Bounty
  • Darwin Slept Here: Discovery, Adventure, and Swimming Iguanas in Charles Darwin's South America
  • Wake Up and Smell the Planet: The Non-Pompous, Non-Preachy Grist Guide to Greening Your Day
  • Ecological Intelligence: Rediscovering Ourselves in Nature
  • Honeybee Democracy
  • Global Catastrophes: A Very Short Introduction
  • Natural Acts: A Sidelong View of Science and Nature
  • Global Warming: A Very Short Introduction
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Darwin's Island: The Galapagos in the Garden of England
  • Water: The Epic Struggle for Wealth, Power, and Civilization
  • The Animal Manifesto: Six Reasons for Expanding Our Compassion Footprint
  • Now or Never: Why We Must Act Now to End Climate Change and Create a Sustainable Future
  • The Battery: How Portable Power Sparked a Technological Revolution
Rachel Louise Carson (May 27, 1907 – April 14, 1964) was an American marine biologist and conservationist whose book Silent Spring and other writings are credited with advancing the global environmental movement.

Carson began her career as an aquatic biologist in the U.S. Bureau of Fisheries, and became a full-time nature writer in the 1950s. Her widely praised 1951 bestseller The Sea Around Us won
More about Rachel Carson...
Silent Spring The Sea Around Us The Sense of Wonder The Edge of the Sea Under the Sea Wind