Start by marking “The Complete Illustrated Short Stories: Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
The Complete Illustrated Short Stories: Sherlock Holmes

The Complete Illustrated Short Stories: Sherlock Holmes

4.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,017 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
They're among the most influential, enduring, and popular short stories in the English language; marvelous mysteries that feature the "most perfect reasoning and observing machine that the world has ever seen." Here are all 56 Sherlock Holmes tales in one very handsome collection, accompanied by the original artwork in facsimile reproduction. Every short story is here--gro ...more
Published 2009 (first published April 1927)

Nina
I finally did it. All the Sherlock Holmes short stories are now read, and what a treat they are.

I would have finished them sooner had I not been sidetracked by other books, but oh well. I got there.

There are a lot of great mysteries here, and a few not so great (*cough*the Veiled Lodger *cough*), but great as they are, it's Sherlock Holmes's personality and the dynamic between him and good friend Watson that lift the stories to the next level - the level of eternal devotion of a huge fan base.
Em
Dec 21, 2011 Em rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection contains all of the short stories in the Holmes canon (well, all of the short stories Arthur Conan Doyle wrote, in any case). This means that while we miss classics like A Study In Scarlet (the first Holmes story) and The Hound of the Baskervilles, both of which are novel-length, we get a real treat. This collection has some of my all-time favourite stories: The Speckled Band, The Dancing Men, The Red-Headed League etc. I actually just realised that I could list them all and stil ...more
L.K. Jay
Sep 25, 2011 L.K. Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
What can you say? Sherlock is still the number one detective and this is the edition my mother has on her shelves and what I kept dipping into when I was a kid. There's everything, the mysteries, Sherlock and Watson and the villains. They are intriguing, gripping and you never, never get tired of them. Essential.
Jada Gonzales
Jun 21, 2012 Jada Gonzales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes ( /ˈʃɜrlɒk ˈhoʊmz/) is a fictional detective created by Scottish author and physician Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. A London-based "consulting detective" whose abilities border on the fantastic, Holmes is famous for his astute logical reasoning, his ability to adopt almost any disguise, and his use of forensic science skills to solve difficult cases.

I borrowed this book from our school library when I was still in High-school. I thought I lost this book forever. I paid the library and
PurplyCookie
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

From the beginning introduction of Holmes and Watson to Holmes' gentle retirement to beekeepping on the southern coast of England, this book contains all the essential stories (none of the apocryphal, anecdotal, or tribute-written pieces are contained here).

Perhaps the two elements that made Holmes and Watson the world-renowned figures that they became are, first, the dominance of the British Emp
Amalie
For those of who don’t know (highly unlikely) , Sherlock Holmes is a private investigator who operates out of his rooms at 221B Baker Street in London, England.

He is a well-to-do bachelor, takes only the cases that interest him. He is high-strung and restless, and, although he finds a creative emotional outlet in playing the violin, it is often not enough to amuse his troubled mind when he is not on a case. He then injects himself with cocaine. It takes a great amount of time and efforts for hi
Raya
Apr 17, 2016 Raya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alane Elevado
Feb 10, 2012 Alane Elevado is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I cannot help but marvel at Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's genius at creating his Sherlock Holmes adventures. Every story is so indulging and so packed with rounds of horror and brilliance that once you start, you can't possibly want to stop. A character as complex and as brilliant as Sherlock Holmes and his science of deduction is truly one-of-a-kind, and something which probably no one could match in centuries to come.

I've only just started. There are 2 more novels and 40 or so short stories (from
Brett Hess
The Sherelock Holmes I read was a bunch of short stories of Holmes at his best. In one of them a man pulls up to the Holmes manner and comes in looking for help. He needs to get some papers from his wife so he can divorce her. the wife has locked these up. Sherlock goes undercover and is able to cause a diversion. while she is distracted he slips out the papers and takes off.

I would reccomend this book to my friends who like detective books. Sherlock is so clever and attentive to detail it's sca
Andrei
Sep 16, 2012 Andrei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes by Conan Doyle.
986 pg. mystery

London, 1881. A murder is commited. The police is baffled. Sherlock Holmes is on the case. In each one of these short stories, Sherlock Holmes solves an impossible mystery while his trusty assistant Watson records them dutifully. Holmes is a very careful observer, and few are better than him. He uses logical reasoning to derive complex observations out of minute ordinary details.

I really enjoyed this novel since Holmes explains his logic and I apply

Raj
Apr 15, 2013 Raj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, whodunnit, crime
This is a lovely volume of Sherlock Holmes stories, all with the original illustrations. I'm not sure that there's a huge amount to say about the stories themselves, beyond the obvious. Watson is a likeable everyman narrator who puts up with Holmes smugness better than most people would, and some of the deductions seem a little tenuous to me, but that detracts nothing from them. To me, Conan Doyle's detective is as readable as he ever was and the companion volume containing the four Holmes novel ...more
Gary
Dec 22, 2014 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just brilliant. Loved them.
Modesty_b
Feb 14, 2013 Modesty_b rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
I bought this book when i was 13 and left it sitting on my TBR shelf for some years. my excuse was that the print was too small and the book very bulky. I picked it up after I gained some appreciation for adventure stories and small print or not I read through it. reading these stories gave me an appetite for thriller stories which haven't abated yet. these stories are a wonder to both adults and children alike and I highly recommend(as if they need recommendation)them.
Kristen
Only got as far as The Hounds of Baskerville, which is 50% according to the Kindle, before I got bored. Interesting to read since I've watched a lot of the adaptations (liking the BBC version best). But very wordy and showy. Fascinating Watson's feelings for Holes, though. There has to be some crazy slash fiction out there...
Paige
Jun 04, 2013 Paige rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly amazing. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a literary genius. I have to say, my favourites of this would have to be either 'A Scandal in Bohemia' or 'The Adventure of the Dying Detective'. One of the best books I have ever read
Adityaghatage
Jul 22, 2007 Adityaghatage rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a universe in itself......really won't get bored of this.....keep on examining all the finer details....one of the most masterly descriptions of the late victorian era...the inconsistencies in chronology are easily forgiven..
Ujjwal Munshi
Apr 25, 2012 Ujjwal Munshi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
holmes & watson! was hooked to the series from a very early stage in my life!i would rate the stories as the best ever written in the detective genre...the stories can be read a hundred times without getting bored!
Ninjaertle
I read a book of Sherlock Holmes when I was little. It's cover was similar to this. I have one of the volume sets on my Amazon Kindle account. Which I read when I have down time in my travels.
Liz V
Jun 11, 2012 Liz V rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GREAT read, as always--I love revisiting the ol' mysteries. Especially love "The Return of Sherlock Holmes," which I read in anticipation of the Masterpiece Theatre new season (I hope?)
David Sandbach
May 09, 2011 David Sandbach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a classic collection of detective stories. Conan Doyle has a very lucid and engaging writing style. As each story is short you can read one in a sitting (or more!)
Rebecca altman
Aug 27, 2008 Rebecca altman is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge Holmes fan. (Our dog was named Sherlock). this was a birthday gift from my husband and I am so into reading the whole thing at once. what a brilliant author!
Eleana
im unclogging my currently reading. my jntention was to read like a short story a week but truly the last time i opened this was in 2014. not a short story person
Aakash Kumar
Nov 10, 2012 Aakash Kumar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is something very entertaining with a good sense of literature. Sherlock holmes is a legendary character.
Jane
Jun 05, 2016 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading these stories, other detectives just don't cut it anymore. This is the true origin of Hercule Poirot.
Carolyn
Aug 11, 2012 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining - must read them all for references to the accounts in the novels.
Joanne
Jul 23, 2012 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love these. Had these books 30 years and I still like to dip in for a read.
Antonia Sian Gibson
May 22, 2014 Antonia Sian Gibson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sherlockians,
Perfect for any Sherlock fan (I know there are many of us out there)
umberto
Oct 14, 2009 umberto marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I forgot to note when I bought this novel, it should be in 1994.
Rhod
Oct 10, 2013 Rhod rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listed most of the books separately. Liked the series very much.
blushenka
Sep 29, 2012 blushenka rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of detective fiction; basically everyone
Never gets old.

Kinda wanna makes you wanna...break into song?

• Sherlock Holmes Short Stories
  • Crime Stories and Other Writings
  • Poirot: The Complete Battles of Hastings, Vol. 1 (Hercule Poirot & Arthur Hastings Omnibus, #1)
  • 100 Malicious Little Mysteries
  • John Macnab (Sir Edward Leithen, #2)
  • Komisario Palmun erehdys
  • The Scandal of Father Brown (Father Brown, #5)
  • The Riddle of the Third Mile (Inspector Morse, #6)
  • V for Vendetta, Vol. III of X (V for Vendetta, #3)
  • Daisy Miller and Other Stories
  • Alexandra
  • The Night Calls
  • Cranford: and other stories
  • 56 Sherlock Holmes Stories in 56 Days
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...