Start by marking “Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table” as Want to Read:
Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table

Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  747 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Few chefs in America have won more acclaim than Suzanne Goin, owner of Lucques restaurant. A chef of impeccable pedigree, she got her start cooking at some of the best restaurants in the world–L’Arpège. Olives, and Chez Panisse, to name a few–places where she acquired top-notch skills to match her already flawless culinary instincts. “A great many cooks have come through t ...more
Published November 8th 2005 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Sunday Suppers at Lucques, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunday Suppers at Lucques

Riona
Nov 08, 2012 Riona rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, cookbooks
I had never even heard of Lucques before this cookbook made a big splash in the blogosphere a few years ago. I've had my copy for ages now but it's not one I reach for often. Something about this book is a little intimidating, though not all the recipes are complicated. I guess it's the perpetual problem of having too many cookbooks and not enough time to cook. And this is a real entertaining cookbook, not your everyday get-a-meal-on-the-table cookbook.

The book is divided into seasonal menus, ea
Andrea
Jan 17, 2008 Andrea rated it really liked it
The only reason I cannot put a 5th star here is that I do not use this book nearly enough to say that it's amazing.

I love the organization of the book first by season, and then within each season are a number of multi-course meals that you can mix and match. Many recipes are a bit too involved for a casual weeknight meal, and most are for more special-occasion dinners, but the few that I have tried so far were wonderful.

Kimberly Ann
Feb 10, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it liked it

There is a lot of text here, so much so, I skipped over most of it: the Forward, Acknowledgements, & Introduction alone were 12 pages of not very large print. The recipes are in menu form and broken down in to sections by season and each season has 1 1/2 pages of print. Each season also has a list of vegetables & fruits that you can get from the local Farmers' market, what they are, taste, texture, how to sue & prepare them.

Spring, Summer, Autumn, & Winter all contain 8 different
Tien
Jun 26, 2008 Tien rated it it was amazing
Update: Count that five things cooked. The best thing so far: lemon tart with a layer of chocolate. She says to use meyer lemons, but they are 50 cents EACH and seeing as how you need a good number to get the half cup you're supposed to get, pedestrian lemons from our lemon tree did the trick nicely. Also, I think the cult of the meyer lemon was started by rich Bay Area foodies who, fearing that the search for fancy food had percolated too far downward on the class scale, decided they needed yet ...more
Yasmine Alfouzan
Nov 12, 2012 Yasmine Alfouzan rated it really liked it
Suzanne Goin is one of my favorite female chefs. She's truly a role model: she knows good food, she's successful, she's fit and healthy, and her recipes are incredibly good. Basically everything I hope to be.
I wouldn't recommend this book for beginners, of course. Also, most of the ingredients aren't available in this part of town, but I don't think you need to stick to the script when it comes to cooking some things. Think of her menus/recipes as mere suggestions and you will get the most amaz
Christine
Apr 25, 2016 Christine rated it it was amazing
My all-time favourite dinner party cookbook. Haven't made a single recipe from here that wasn't absolutely incredible. Can not recommend highly enough.
Andrea

This is an easy to follow passionate journey into creating meals that will be sumptuous and comforting! Suzanne is at ease with all of her ingredients, cooking,and sharing her stories. I can't wait to make a reservation for Sunday Supper at Lucques next time I am in Los Angeles. I am also looking forward to making some of these recipes at home. Carmelized bread pudding with chocolate and cinnamon will certainly become one of my winter desserts, no doubt about it! I can hardly wait to make a fen
Beverly
Jan 22, 2012 Beverly rated it really liked it
We got together as a group and made 8 dishes from this book. All were quite yummy. The only issue was that the recipe for harissa made a tasty paste that wasn't the least bit spicy. Remade it with different peppers than were called for (chile de arobol instead of ancho) and it was great.
The other dishes we made were: Young onion, bacon & cheese tart. Pomegranite and persimmon salad. Kobacha soup. Date, parmesan & blood orange salad. Tunisian lamb & Eggplant stew accompanied by hariss
tmll
Jan 13, 2009 tmll rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I stagiaired at this place in the late summer/early fall this year and it totally blew my mind in about a million ways. Hm, okay maybe only one hundred ways, nonetheless it was an amazing experience. This book fills in the gaps of my notes and then some. The procedures, explanations of process are complete and informative and for the home cook, seem completely executable, and will most assuredly be delicious. This book will help you become a better cook and help you to enjoy food more. Good time ...more
Catharine
Nov 03, 2011 Catharine rated it really liked it
If you ate these recipes every day, you would struggle to maintain a healthy weight. If you share them with friends occasionally, you'll be fine. Many of the recipes can be lightened up without removing the flavor. She includes some excellent vegetable recipes. We also liked the chicken stew we made with all her suggested ingredients but using a simplified method. This book is an inspiration to adventurous and experienced cooks!
shianlotta
Sep 16, 2007 shianlotta rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like to entertain
Shelves: cookbooks
everything i've ever made from this book has been ultra tasty and a hit. they're great for dinner parties, when you want to make something special. the photographs are beautiful, and the recipes are easy to follow, although they sometimes call for hard-to-find ingredients. i like that the recipes are arranged by season and presented in short menus, although i usually mix different menu items together.
Heather
Jun 13, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
Everything sounded delicious, and I would not hesitate to order anything if I saw the dish on a menu. However, some of the recipes are extremely time-intensive; there's a marinated peppers and eggplant recipe with a quote from Judy Rogers that reads, "Stop, think, there must be a harder way." I love marinated vegetables, but a long page of instructions seems a bit much.
Acacia
Aug 24, 2007 Acacia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Eaters
What a beautiful book. Divided by season & including the produce you can expect to find at your local farmer's market in each season of the year. Recipes that make your mouth water and taste fabulous without fail. Totally worth the 37 hours you will spend in the kitchen to make that (insert holiday of choice) feast you've always dreamed about.
Charlotte
Jun 29, 2010 Charlotte rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Some of these recipes are so elaborate, I don't know if I would ever attempt them, and, like many Californian chefs, there is very little acknowledgment that not everyone can get California produce. It would be nice to see some suggestions for substitutions. But this is a gorgeous book and has many many delicious recipes. And photos!
Stacey
May 07, 2009 Stacey is currently reading it
I find most of these recipes too complicated to follow from start to finish; in fact, most chefs' cookbooks are like this. It is not easy to adapt restaurant recipes to the home kitchen, but I do like how it is divided into seasons, and I appreciate tweaking her recipes to fit into my less is more cooking style.
Karen
Mar 21, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
Though I haven't made anything from it, I will rate it 4 stars for the home cook. I have quite a few recipes flagged to copy. Her write-ups pre-recipe are interesting. Rob's famous coleslaw, Mary Jones from Cleveland's molasses cookies, curried English pea soup. The photography is pleasing.
Tracy
Jul 30, 2008 Tracy rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully photographed book with ideas for wonderful weekend meals using ingredients appropriate to each season. It's weekend food for sure--many things take several hours to cook. Nothing is overwhelmingly complicated, but it's all somewhat sophisticated takes on comfort food.
E
Oct 17, 2013 E rated it it was amazing
One of the best restaurant cook books ever. Amazing restaurant quality meals with easy instructions. I cooked one of the best meals of my life last night thanks to this one. So many to choose from. Highly recommend and can't wait for her A.O.C. cookbook to come out this month!
Mike
Aug 23, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it
Really wonderful - if a little ornate - recipes for weekend type dinners.

I'm using the juniper marinade a lot for different pork preparations. This book also helped me love romesco sauce.
Emily
Nov 24, 2007 Emily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cooks!
my favorite cookbook -- your meals will come out like a top restaurant dish! I love her combinations of ingredients and use of farm fresh seasonal items.
Catherine Woodman
Sep 03, 2013 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it
Beautiful cookbook, but much too elaborate food for me to really use--loved to look at it, didn't find a recipe that I wanted to make.
Suz
Sep 09, 2009 Suz rated it it was amazing
Great recipes, gorgeous photos. I borrowed it from the library but now I'm going to have to go buy it...
Keswickian
Jan 10, 2012 Keswickian rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite cookbooks, the dishes in here are complex, refined and lovely.
Heather
Oct 06, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
I am seriously in love with this cookbook! I need to get myself to this restaurant in LA.
Mollie Chen
Jul 26, 2007 Mollie Chen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cooks
makes me wish i lived in california - try the financier recipe and any of the gorgeous salads
Beka
Nov 10, 2014 Beka rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Everything looks and sounds tasty, but it's very chef-y.
Joy
Jun 27, 2012 Joy marked it as to-read
Recommended by Nora Ephron...
Les Américains
Les Américains rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Brandi
Brandi marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
  • The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
  • Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen
  • Mangoes & Curry Leaves: Culinary Travels Through the Great Subcontinent
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
  • The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook: Stories and Recipes for Southerners and Would-be Southerners
  • Bouchon