Start by marking “Sox and the City: A Fan's Love Affair with the White Sox from the Heartbreak of '67 to the Wizards of Oz” as Want to Read:

An account of what it was like to grow up a White Sox fan in a Cubs nation, this title covers the history of the organisation, from the heartbreak of 1967 and the South-Side Hit Men to the disco demolition and the magical 2005 season when they became world champions.
Published April 1st 2007 by Chicago Review Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sox and the City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sox and the City

Chris Mcgowan
Jan 05, 2013 Chris Mcgowan rated it it was amazing
What a delightful surprise!

I stumbled across this title while looking for another book at the library that was no where near these sports books. For some reason this one caught my attention.

It has a unique style to it and recounts what it is like to a White Sox fan. So much of it rings very true. A must read for any Sox fan in my opinion. I got to learn about a portion of Sox history that I did not know - the 70's. I was born in the early '70's and my Dad is not a sports fan so I got to choose m
Gwen
Jan 09, 2008 Gwen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are real baseball fans (Cubs and Red Sox fans need not apply)
Shelves: memoir, sports
I love the Chicago White Sox. I pay to see them play, but unfortunately, I've grown up in a city where in many ways it seems that we only have once baseball team. At least that's the way many Sox fans feel. And that's the spirit that Richard Roper captures in his book. He talks about feeling really let down by the management of what could have been some really good teams (1997 anyone?) and some horrible years of suffering through watching games of really harsh baseball to get to 2005.
Be prepared
Michael Veselik
Feb 22, 2015 Michael Veselik rated it it was amazing
an excellent book for soxs fans both old and new. Captures the South Side in all its glory
Lonnie Engel
Jul 02, 2016 Lonnie Engel rated it really liked it
A must read for all Sox fans!!!
Lish
Mar 13, 2008 Lish added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Real baseball fans
Recommended to Lish by: Other real baseball fans
An interesting back and forth between the 2005 season and seasons past as remembered by Richard Roeper. He's older than I am so some of the book was more of a history lesson to me. Overall it was a quick and enjoyable read. Even if you like that more popular team on the North Side, you might enjoy this book. Remember, if it weren't for the Sox you Cub fans would've never had Harry Cary.
Erica
May 11, 2010 Erica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baseball
What more could a White Sox fan want in a book? Covers each of the big eras in Sox history - the 50's Go-Go Sox, the 80's heartbreakers, the 2005 championship, etc. It's pretty humorous and all of it is true. I think Roeper's a bit too Cubsessed, though. He needs to lay off that and just focus on the Sox.
Justin
Aug 09, 2012 Justin rated it really liked it
Fun account of Roeper's childhood memories of growing up with the Sox and the '05 championship team. It snapped off the '05 playoffs maybe a bit too quickly, but otherwise there's laughs, good sports memories, and generally everything else you're looking for in a book like this.
Carolyn
Feb 23, 2009 Carolyn rated it really liked it
As a native Chicagoan, I really got a kick out of this book. My mother used to take me to Comiskey Park when I was a very little girl, and I have great memories of a lot of the ballplayers Roeper talks about, like Nellie Fox and Minnie Minoso.
Jdwhiting86
My favorite sox book- great stories, fabulous writing! Love love love it! I really recommend it to any White Sox fan. Roeper is a great author!
Joseph
May 10, 2011 Joseph rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Enjoyable, but spends an odd amount of time ripping on Ken Harrelson and advocating that Harry Carey was ever a good broadcaster.
Stephen Rynkiewicz
Roeper does his research on seasons past, but his own ballpark memories make this a White Sox winner.
Eric
Dec 23, 2012 Eric rated it liked it
Shelves: chicago
To be home, again.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Melina Lesus
Melina Lesus rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Navid Rojiani
Navid Rojiani rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
jacob boguszewski
jacob boguszewski rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Red Heaven
Red Heaven rated it liked it
May 22, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
Paul Chancey
Paul Chancey is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2016
Leonardo Gomez
Leonardo Gomez rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Leonardo Gomez
Leonardo Gomez rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
James B Ramsdell
James B Ramsdell rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Lauretta
Lauretta rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Deb
Deb rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Bob C
Bob C rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
madeline phaby
madeline phaby rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
195061
Richard Roeper is a columnist/film critic for the Chicago Sun-Times and, since September of 2000, has co-hosted the television series At the Movies with Ebert & Roeper with fellow film critic Roger Ebert.
More about Richard Roeper...