Start by marking “Polish-American Folklore” as Want to Read:
Polish-American Folklore

Polish-American Folklore (Folklore and Society)

5.0 of 5 stars 5.00  ·  rating details  ·  2 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Integrating vivid photographs, firsthand observations, and interviews against a rich backdrop of ethnic practices and traditions, Deborah Anders Silverman explores how Polish Americans are creatively adapting the rural peasant folklore of the old country to life in multicultural, urban America.

Silverman surveys rituals of courtship, marriage, coming of age, and funerals. S

Published May 9th 2000 by University of Illinois Press

To ask other readers questions about Polish-American Folklore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Polish-American Folklore

J
Not what I expected; before cracking it open, I thought it would be a book of folktales. Instead, Silverman presented a thorough, academic overview of how various folkways--dance, food, storytelling, marriage, etc.--evolved in Polonia, that is, the Polish diaspora in the United States. It was a far cry from folktales, but because Silverman's writing style was conversational and engaging, and because it's always interesting to learn about different cultures and the reasons people do and believe t ...more
Stephanie
Growing up in a Polish Slovak family, I always wonder where some of the traditions came from. Well, after reading this I know what I didn't to begin with. I love Koledy. I have since I was a child. Also the polka. You can never be blue when doing a polka.
I would have to say that I am proud of my heritage, and grateful for all the celebrations over the years.
Yoss
Yoss added it
Oct 27, 2011
anolta
anolta marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2013
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2011
Andrew Walsh
Andrew Walsh is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2011
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2009
andrea
andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2009