Start by marking “Train Wreck Girl: a novel” as Want to Read:
Train Wreck Girl: a novel

Train Wreck Girl: a novel

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  8 reviews
“Sean Carswell is a wonderful storyteller. . . . Reading his stuff makes you laugh and makes you think.”—Howard Zinn

“[Carswell’s writing is] the antidote to what is so boring or safe or wrong with modern book publishing.”—Joe Meno, author of Hairstyles of the Damned

Train Wreck Girl is the funny and tragic story of one man’s quest to figure out what to do with his life now
Published May 1st 2008 by Manic D Press, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Train Wreck Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Train Wreck Girl

Karen Germain
The tag line for Sean Carswell’s “Train Wreck Girl” is very misleading. It describes the book as “One Man’s quest to figure out what to do with his life now that it’s too late for him to die young.” Sounds intriguing, but that’s really not the core of the story.

The book begins with the main character discovering the grisly remains of his ex-girlfriend. The character flees to another state and attempts to start over his life and reconnect with people from his past. He soon realizes that there is
Jason Jordan
Carswell's Train Wreck Girl rocks. The narrator is a likeable fuck-up, and while I won't delve into the storyline here (read about it above, if you like), the plots are captivating. Additionally, the novel has several unpredictable, credible twists that work well, especially since they deftly sidestep implausibility. There may be too many recurring characters on the whole, but I liked nearly all of them, so I wasn't too bothered. Also of note is Carswell's delivery. Train Wreck Girl is narrated ...more
Erik
With a twist at the begining, this book does a pretty good point of staying on point. Some plot points were telegraphed and then when we get to them, we don't get to see enough. But then, this isn't the story about delivery because life is always a journey of constantly trying to get there. Carswell is a gifted writer, developing his craft here. Recomended.
Gordon
The narrator's got a pretty simple style that's a breeze to read, punctuated with an exceptional phrase here and there. He manages to create a fairly apathetic character who is somehow not passive, which is often my criticism of similar stories. I liked this one a lot, mainly on the strength of its voice and black-comic moments.
Matt Peters
Great story about a working-class hero who can't make a good descion to save his life. Engaging plot without being predicatable or absurd. The little character details, punk rock and otherwise, made this very enjoyable.
Leenda dela Luna
Really enjoyed the writing style and story. I was surprised when it ended. Not how it ended. I was just so engrossed in the story that I turned the page and was surprised I was done.
Corey
Sean is able to tie in his characters from his short stories into this book. Dude is awesome!
Girl on a shelf
Genuinely a great read. Enjoyed this one alot!
Kenneth Cairney
Kenneth Cairney marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Nicholas Gomez
Nicholas Gomez marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Tarin Towers
Tarin Towers marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Traci
Traci marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Samantha S.
Samantha S. is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Carole Ault
Carole Ault marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Nora
Nora marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Drinks for the Little Guy Barney's Crew Madhouse Fog: A Novel Madhouse Fog Train Wreck Girl