Start by marking “Kimono as Art” as Want to Read:
Kimono as Art

Kimono as Art

4.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  20 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This lavishly illustrated book showcases fifty-five masterworks by Japanese kimono artist Itchiku Kubota (1917-2003). Initially determined to unlock the secrets of dyed and painted Japanese textiles of the fourteenth to early seventeenth centuries, Kubota ultimately invented a unique method of decoration. His work combines stitch-resist and ink drawing with a complex layer ...more
Published November 27th 2008 by Thames & Hudson

To ask other readers questions about Kimono as Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kimono as Art

Jennifer (JC-S)
Jan 02, 2013 Jennifer (JC-S) rated it it was amazing
‘Landscapes in silk’

Itchiku Kubota (1917-2003) learned the art of dyeing as an apprentice. During a visit to the Tokyo National Museum at the age of 20, he was inspired by seeing a 350 year old silk remnant of the lost art of tsujigahana (a fabric dyeing and decorating technique). During World War II, Kubota was taken prisoner and was a prisoner of war in a Siberian camp until 1951. After his release, he devoted himself to trying to find the secret behind the tsujigahana technique. Unfortunately
Phoenix
May 16, 2011 Phoenix rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, art
I stumbled upon Itchiku Kubota's work when I saw this book come up repeatedly in my Amazon searches for kimono fashion. I decided to google his name and my breath was taken away by his masterpieces in textile art.

Itchiku Kubota was a kimono-designer who apprenticed from an early age. He was a siberian POW and got inspired to do his ichigahana series 'Symphonies of Light' when he returned to post-war Japan. He reinvented and updated the old resist dyeing technique of 14th century Japan in his mo
Kate Coombs
Dec 22, 2008 Kate Coombs rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Itchiku Kubota's work years ago and have been trying to get my hands on the book that went with his exhibit of landscape kimonos ever since--well, there's a new book out (based on a new exhibit)! Itchiku Kubota spent 20 years refining a 17th-century silk dying technique and then set out to portray the seasons and moments of nature's beauty in a grand series of kimonos. Here's his story, along with photos of the pieces he completed. Wow!
Lesley
Jul 07, 2009 Lesley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009, art
Wow, what a fascinating and beautiful book! I loved looking at the artwork of the kimonos, with their incredible depictions of the seasons. The color is amazing! I appreciated the close-up shots that showcased the embroidery. I'd never heard of Itchiku Kubota until this book came through my department at work. What a treat!
Feb 14, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Kubota's kimono are technically amazing. Some of his designs are gorgeous--I loved the subtle colors of his snow scenes--but many of his designs are too bright for me and border on looking like tie dye or a 1990s neo-hippie quilt.
Lorie
Feb 21, 2011 Lorie added it
This looks so amazing, can't wait to get into it..Amazing dedication to art and technique. I would so like to see one of his creations in person. Well worth reading if you enjoy traditional Japanese craft and technique.
Peter
Mar 05, 2012 Peter rated it it was amazing
Incredibly lavish. This isn't a book you read so much a treasure and return every so often, for peace and inspiration.
AlexS
AlexS marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Elle Ramirez
Elle Ramirez marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Ana Monteiro
Ana Monteiro marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Rhonda Pickens
Rhonda Pickens rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Kelley McDonald
Kelley McDonald rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2015
Ben Kotyuk
Ben Kotyuk rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Jonas Adelsten
Jonas Adelsten rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Satine Dali
Satine Dali marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
teaforbreskfast
teaforbreskfast rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2014
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2014
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2014
₵oincidental   Ðandy
₵oincidental Ðandy marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2014
Ingrid
Ingrid marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Heleng
Heleng added it
Sep 17, 2013
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Trish
Trish marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2013
peg
peg marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2013