Start by marking “The Beautiful Soul of John Woolman, Apostle of Abolition” as Want to Read:
The Beautiful Soul of John Woolman, Apostle of Abolition

The Beautiful Soul of John Woolman, Apostle of Abolition

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  31 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
A biography of the famous eighteenth-century Quaker whose abolitionist fervor and spiritual practice made him a model for generations of Americans

John Woolman (1720–72) was perhaps the most significant American of his age, though he was not a famous politician, general, or man of letters, and never held public office. A humble Quaker tailor in New Jersey, he became a proph
Published September 16th 2008 by Hill and Wang

Be the first to ask a question about The Beautiful Soul of John Woolman, Apostle of Abolition

Dan Gorman
Dec 05, 2015 Dan Gorman rated it really liked it
John Woolman was an interesting man — an itinerant man of all trades who hated the institution of slavery. He made coded overtures that slaves were right to resist unjust masters, but mostly Woolman preached about slavery as a moral evil. So you get sort of a portrait of abolitionism without actual abolition. Still, Woolman put his beliefs into practice on a personal level, rejecting any substance produced by slave labor. This is a very thorough analysis of Woolman's writings and life story, alt ...more
Rick
Dec 31, 2013 Rick rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
This is a penetrating study to say the least. This humble Quaker from New Jersey had a domino-like influence on Quakers and then on society as well. Great movements for social justice had to begin somewhere and Woolman was a starting point for many of them. Slaughter does a good job of analyzing his inspirations, which can be linked to Jesus Christ and the early Christians.
Tim and Popie Stafford
Jul 29, 2008 Tim and Popie Stafford rated it really liked it
John Woolman was a Quaker lived in New Jersey before the Revolutionary War. Best known for his effective advocacy of anti-slavery among Quakers (who banned it among their members not long after his death). He was also a mystic and a remarkable St Francis type. This bio is gentle, slow moving, thoughtful.
Michael Greening
Oct 04, 2013 Michael Greening rated it it was amazing
Yes gentle slow and thought provoking, just as a fine bio should be. A book to be savored.
Katie
Nov 08, 2014 Katie rated it did not like it
Shelves: history
Boring. Tons of historical context and analysis, very skimpy on actual life story. Needed an introduction. Failed to convince me of Woolman's significance. I gave up halfway through.
Jed
I was interrupted for a long time while reading this book. I need to read it again to write a thoughtful review.

Two things I enjoyed learning about: Woolman's ministry and Quakers generally in early 18th century America. Boring genealogical: my mother's forebears lived in Burlington at the same time Woolman did. As I read, I wondered what contact they had with him.
Philip
Nov 16, 2008 Philip rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, gift
This book spends far too much time recounting Woolman's theological arguments. If I'd wanted that, I'd have read the Journal.

The book is at its best when its giving us the theological and historical context for Woolman. More of the latter would have been an improvement.
aCertainMan
May 16, 2009 aCertainMan rated it really liked it
This book does a thorough job exploring likely cultural and spiritual influences on a devout and influential 18th Century Quaker American.
Joel Grey
Joel Grey rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Carissa
Carissa rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
Jonathan Pyle
Jonathan Pyle rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
ron Dagg
ron Dagg rated it did not like it
Jan 24, 2016
Camille Hall
Camille Hall marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Janna
Janna marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Tyson
Tyson marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Anna Verneuille
Anna Verneuille rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Olivia
Olivia rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2015
Lynne
Lynne added it
Jan 09, 2015
Jabberwock
Jabberwock marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Michael Mccormick
Michael Mccormick rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2015
Geoge Schaefer
Geoge Schaefer rated it it was ok
May 04, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Krodkey
Krodkey marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2013
Pat Falkner
Pat Falkner rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2013
Kevin Gannon
Kevin Gannon marked it as to-read
May 23, 2013
William Carrigan
William Carrigan rated it really liked it
May 19, 2013
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2013