Start by marking “Buried Alive: Kidnapped and Entombed in the Deserts of Iraq” as Want to Read:
Buried Alive: Kidnapped and Entombed in the Deserts of Iraq

Buried Alive: Kidnapped and Entombed in the Deserts of Iraq

A true-life adventure sure to shock as well as inspire.

AK47s, masked thugs, and brutal urgency erupt from Roy Hallums' account of his abduction in Iraq, shredding through those frequently sterile cable news reports revealing that another "American contractor is being held hostage . . ."

Hallums was the everyman behind that report a 56-year-old retired Naval commander workin
Published January 1st 2010 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Buried Alive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buried Alive

Sandra
Jun 06, 2010 Sandra rated it liked it
The book Buried Alive is the extraordinary, true story of Roy Hallums. He was a retired U.S. Navy commander working as a civilian in Iraq. The Saudi Arabian Trading and Construction Company provided security for Roy Hallums and his co-workers as they worked to supply food for the American Army in Baghdad. Yet, one of the security team was actually a traitor who arranged for the security gate to be unlocked and led a gang of men into his office.
Mr. Hallums is kidnapped and moved from place to pla
Ellen Christian
Jan 24, 2010 Ellen Christian rated it it was amazing
Buried Alive is a true story written by Roy Hallum about his 311 days as a captive of the Iraquis. Roy is working as a contractor in Iraq when he is snatched and transported from place to place in secret until he reaches his final destination. This is not only his story but it's a harrowing journey through the hell of being held hostage and captive in a concrete hole beneath the floor of a house in Iraq. The author also recounts what his family went through knowing he was being held hostage in ...more
Mitch McCracken
Apr 15, 2010 Mitch McCracken rated it it was amazing
Buried Alive is the true story of Roy Hallums kidnapping, captivity and a dramatic rescue by US Special Forces.

I went to Frayser High School in Memphis with Roy Hallums but never had the pleasure to really get to know him. I knew of his ordeal from the newspaper and TV news, I prayed for his safe return along with the rest of the country.

I don’t like reading stories about hopeless situations and had no intention of reading Buried Alive even though I was glad my former schoolmate was home safe w
DKAY
Mar 16, 2010 DKAY rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
1st of all I was drawn to this book for several different reasons I chose this book because it was written by Roy Hallums, a retired U.S. Navy Commander and also because he was held captive in Iraq and it is his true story of what happened to him. I was born on a base and raised on one and I definitely respect the fact that he served our country and had to endure all of the beatings and torture that he did and survived.

Roy Hallums, a retired U.S. Navy Commander, worked as a civilian contractor
Chrissy
Feb 11, 2010 Chrissy rated it it was amazing

My Thoughts On This Book:

Roy was working as a contractor in Iraq but he had told his family he was working in Saudi Arabia so that they wouldn't worry about him. He was kidnapped from his work place along with another co-worker Robert which would remain with Roy threw out his captivity up until the time that Robert's ransom was paid and Robert was released. Roy would then remain until rescued by Special Forces.

Roy spent 311 days in captivity going threw horrible beatings and unthinkable and unsa
S. Harrell
Nov 20, 2012 S. Harrell rated it liked it
I was very interested in reading this book, though I found it disappointing. Despite being conversationally written, the narrative is very emotionally detached, as one would expect the voice of a survivor mostly out of the grip of PTSD to be. Still, the story read flat, to me. I was compelled by Hallums' circumstances and the opportunity to read a firsthand account of the Middle Eastern war culture (ours and theirs). I don't feel like I got that glimpse, and I wondered if it was because someone ...more
Sara Strand
Jul 14, 2012 Sara Strand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So this weekend I settled in to start this and I could NOT put it down. It's a true story of an American who, while working in Iraq as a contractor, was kidnapped and tortured by Iraqi insurgents and held for over 300 days. 300 days, people. Imagine being blindfolded, rationing out small portions of mostly rotted food for a every three day span (if you were lucky), being beaten, having to make videos to plea for your life, and little to no communication with other hostages for over 300 days. If ...more
Haelie
Dec 22, 2011 Haelie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What would you do if you were kidnapped in a foreign country knowing practically none of their language nor their intentions behind your kidnapping?

Would you - could you survive? Considering torture, unsanitary living conditions, and uncertainty of rescue or release...How long? A few days? Possibly even a few weeks?

How about almost a full year?

Roy Hallums did. As the title of his book alludes, he was even literally Buried Alive, yet his faith in God and his resolve to live and see his family aga
Haelie
Dec 22, 2011 Haelie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

How about almost a full year?

Mike
Feb 04, 2010 Mike rated it it was amazing
“Buried Alive”, by Roy Hallums is an extremely thought provoking true story of being kidnapped and held by extremists in Iraq. The story is told through and by the author, Roy Hallums as he takes the reader from the being to the end of a very painful and secluded imprisonment. Most of the time, he is held underground and literally buried alive by his captors.
As you pick up this book, you see the shadow of a man who appears to be in a seated position, with his hands behind his back, probably t
Dylan Strain
Dec 10, 2015 Dylan Strain rated it it was amazing

This that I read was a really great book. The books name was burried alive by roy hallums. Now the three reasons why I liked this book is because… one it is from the person who wrote the book. Two I thought it was cool he wrote a book about his own personal life and shared it with everyone. Finally three I thought it was a really good book. So what I am going to do is give all those reasons into a big huge paragraph and explain them and why I really like those reasons that I wrote.

Number one. Th
Trupti Dorge
Nov 18, 2010 Trupti Dorge rated it really liked it
Roy was a 56 year old retired Naval commander working for a food supply contractor in Baghdad’s high-end Mansour district. In 2004, Roy was kidnapped by gunmen who stormed his Office. 3 Iraqi’s and a Filipino Robert was kidnapped along with him. After shuffling Roy and Robert to a few places, they finally kept them in an underground cell in a house in the middle of nowhere.

For 311 days Roy along with Robert survived hellish conditions while being blindfolded and handcuffed most of the time. Buri
Theresa
Jan 25, 2010 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teens through Adult
Synopsis:

Roy Hallums was a 56 year old retired Navel Commander who was working for a food supply contractor in Iraq. On November 1, 2004, Roy was abducted and held hostage for 311 days. During his first few months, Roy was beaten and mentally tortured while he was moved from place to place. Then, he came to his last prison, a 4 foot high basement that he was kept in, blindfolded and bound, until he was finally rescued.

My comments:

I was eager to read Roy's story, as I remember when Roy was abduct
Tina
Jun 20, 2011 Tina rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
Erika Schoeps
3.5 stars for an awesome book. The only reason it didn't score higher is because the hostage who was captured was very obviously not a writer, and it showed. The book is written plainly and factually, even though the story itself is brilliant and dramatic. I especially enjoyed the historic background sprinkled throughout. That's where the author's abilities truly shined. It was a good book, and inspiring, dramatic, and interesting story, but the story was told very blandly. As much as it seems ...more
Alicia
Nov 01, 2010 Alicia rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2010
I really enjoyed this book. At first I was concerned that the bare-bones way the story was told would not be enough to keep my attention, but as I got into the story I realized that the real-life enough were plenty enough story on their own — no embellishments needed. Reading a good story about the hope and success of someone faced with incredible odds in such a “this is just life” manner really reminds me how people really can do what might seem impossible. It’s really a great story about ...more
Anna Todd
May 26, 2011 Anna Todd rated it it was amazing
I just finished this harrowing account of a kidnapping in Iraq and it is one of the best non-fiction stories I have read in a while. It not only grabbed my attention but tugged at my heart as well. While the material is difficult as one would imagine, the author does a beautiful job of interspersing humor through out the story. I am very glad I read this book!

Shareen Wornson
Oct 21, 2012 Shareen Wornson rated it really liked it

This is a pretty good book. Unbelievable that this man actually lived to tell his tale. So thankful that he did! We really have no idea how lucky we have it in the United States. We take so much for granted. I learned a lot about blessing. I also learned a lot about Iraq. I imagine they are still kidnapping people over there. Crazy and sad. Definitely a worthwhile read!
Jane Kluttz
Jane Kluttz rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Jack McIntosh
Jack McIntosh rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Jennifer Holley
Feb 01, 2013 Jennifer Holley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book! Hard to put down!
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2010
Annette
May 23, 2013 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
heart wrenching
Joe Cool
Joe Cool rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2014
Lola
Lola rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Dawn Williams
Dawn Williams rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2014
Bastab
Bastab rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2010
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2015
Nina Say
Nina Say rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2010