Start by marking “The Kingdom of Auschwitz” as Want to Read:
The Kingdom of Auschwitz

The Kingdom of Auschwitz

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  159 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
A short and thoroughly accurate history of the Auschwitz concentration camp, this compelling book is authoritative in its factual details, devastating in its emotional impact.
Published August 19th 1994 by Harper Perennial

To ask other readers questions about The Kingdom of Auschwitz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kingdom of Auschwitz

Meaghan
This is an excellent mini-history of Auschwitz, covering all the salient points in a mere 100-odd pages. I, who have read over 250 books on the Holocaust, learned something from this book in spite of its short length. I would especially recommend this to people who need to know about Auschwitz but aren't up for intensive study on the subject. I had to read this for a World War II history class.
Paige
Aug 23, 2008 Paige rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody
At barely 100 pages, this book--actually a chapter from a larger work so more accurately an essay--is a very easily accomplished read. As you may guess from the title, its focus is Auschwitz, and it goes over the orders to start building this death camp to the evacuation when the Red Army approached. It's very concise, and never lingers on one thing for too long--although having read it and learned more information about these goings on, I am interested in learning more. The book was so engrossi ...more
Christie
Dec 06, 2012 Christie rated it really liked it
Of all the literature I have read on Auschwitz, this may have been the shortest, but it was the broadest in terms of disclosing the roots, history and back story of how Auschwitz came into existence. Additionally, the author paints a painfully detailed recount of life and death for those who found themselves behind the barbed wire death camp. The images the author conjures are haunting and horribly vivid, but it's an important part of history that will soon have no living survivors to testify as ...more
Linda Scherr
Aug 22, 2014 Linda Scherr rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Ah, this is hard to read, as it should be... we are traveling to Auschwitz this fall and this was on the recommended book list. It is short (100 pages) and gave me enough of the flavor of what happened there and the organization of the camp, that I feel my experience of going there will be enhanced. It is not a current book, but the history unfortunately doesn't change so it is entirely relevant today.
Teri Smith
Jun 20, 2015 Teri Smith rated it it was amazing
I visited Auschwitz earlier this month, and this is an excellent companion to the visit. I recommend reading this before you visit. Even if you're not planning a visit, it's an excellent (though difficult) historical read.
Rachel
Aug 03, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it
I took a break from all the fiction I've been reading to read this book. I had some spare time at work and thought it could be useful the next time I teach about the holocaust. The book is not very long, I was able to read in a few hours. It is well written, informative, easy to follow and interesting, although obviously heartbreaking and depressing at the same time. It is very readable for a nonfiction account, I learned a lot, and I think I could actually use portions of it with my students to ...more
Bethany
Jun 17, 2014 Bethany rated it it was amazing
For a book with less than 200 hundred pages, it is packed with facts about Auschwitz. It's remarkable how vast this camp one. If you are interested in WWII or you are looking to expand your knowledge, this is a great place to start.
Sharon
Mar 21, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holocaust
Profound. Very good.
Edwina Hall Callan
One of several books that I donated to the C.A.N.D.L.E.S. Holocaust Museum for their on site Library of Holocaust books.
The cover photo never fails to put tears in my eyes.
Ben
Feb 16, 2015 Ben rated it liked it
Friedrich notes his sources in the last few pages of the book, but a lack of citations throughout the book make it difficult to know where he got his information. It is still a brief and interesting read on Auschwitz II.
Lindsay
Dec 12, 2007 Lindsay rated it really liked it
This book is about Auschwitz, a concentration camp during the Holocaust. These type of books are always heart breaking to read, but also very educational. I'm glad I read it, but once was enough for me.
Jonfaith
Mar 18, 2012 Jonfaith rated it really liked it
This acid whisper will always be personally linked with a short story by Cortazar. Destiny assumes a more moribund posture in this context.
Jimmy
Oct 03, 2008 Jimmy rated it it was amazing
Almost impossible that a book this small contains all of the horror of the most evil place in history, but it does....
Natasha
Jun 04, 2012 Natasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Great book about Auschwitz; quotes from many other books/memoirs in this book.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Mrs Barbara Mace
Mrs Barbara Mace rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
M Sinclair
M Sinclair rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Sue Gabianelli-danneker
Sue Gabianelli-danneker marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl is currently reading it
Feb 06, 2016
Hitha
Hitha marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Manda
Manda is currently reading it
Jan 31, 2016
Autumn Green
Autumn Green rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Steve Beck
Steve Beck rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Gene Lecouteur
Gene Lecouteur rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Neal fleming
Neal fleming marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
David Maayan
David Maayan rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Patty
Patty marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
  • Fragments of Isabella: A Memoir of Auschwitz
  • Conscience and Courage: Rescuers of Jews During the Holocaust
  • Forgotten Holocaust: The Poles Under German Occupation, 1939-1944
  • Auschwitz
  • In our Hearts we were Giants: The Remarkable Story of the Lilliput Troupe, a Dwarf Family's Survival of the Holocaust
  • Dry Tears: The Story of a Lost Childhood
  • Into the Tunnel: The Brief Life of Marion Samuel, 1931-1943
  • Death Dealer: The Memoirs of the SS Kommandant at Auschwitz
  • From the Ashes of Sobibor: A Story of Survival
  • The Dentist of Auschwitz: A Memoir

Otto Friedrich was born in Boston and graduated from Harvard, where his father was a political science professor. He took a while to find his literary stride. His career took him from the copy desk at Stars and Stripes to a top writing job at Time, with stops in between with the United Press in London and Paris and with The Daily News and Newsweek in New York.

But it was the seven years he spent wi
More about Otto Friedrich...