Start by marking “Catweazle” as Want to Read:
Catweazle

Catweazle

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Catweazle was a magician who lived in the eleventh century, but however hard he tried, his spells hardly ever worked. Then one day was different....the only trouble was that the magic had caused him to fly through Time instead of Space. Catweazle ended up at a place called Hexwood Farm, nine centuries later, where everything he saw appeared to happen by magic.
Published September 30th 1975 by Puffin Books (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Catweazle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catweazle

Kathleen Dixon
Very funny book about an unsuccessful eleventh-century magician who manages to transport himself to the modern day.
Joshua
Catweazle, a Saxon magician from medieval times, is accidentally transported to modern England. Here he is taken in by young "Carrot," a farm boy. Catweazle continually mistakes modern technology for magic and comedy ensues.
Sarahjoy Maddeaux
Jan 21, 2014 Sarahjoy Maddeaux rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sarahjoy by: Peter Lewis
An amusing diversion. I'm still not sure how I feel about Catweazle, and the ending seemed somehow sudden and unsatisfying, but perhaps that is to pave the way for later adventures. Time to look up some old episodes of the tv programme and see how they compare.
Mikael Kuoppala
Read this multiple times as a child and have revisited it a couple of times as an adult. The concept here is very simple: bring a character from the distant past to experience modern life. An old comedic premise but it has been used in a nice way here.

For a young adult book, “Catweazle” is reasonably smart and clever, enough to make me forgive the goofiness of the actual plot. And the novel offers some nice depiction of regular life through its nicely built characters.
Jascha
My dad read it to me and my brother. I liked it, its kind of funny. Noone belive catweazle, that he is a true magican, while he thinks, that all this mostly technical things we know from today are magic. ...more
Simon
This novel is based on the classic children's TV series of the same name. Essentially it is a novelisation of the first season. The TV series is more entertaining, but this was well worth the read.
gwscrsc
I read and re-read this about ten times, one time after another.
bluetyson
isbn,original
Nessa Beresford
Nessa Beresford marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Sebastian
Sebastian marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Julia H.
Julia H. marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Khonie
Khonie marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Jackie
Jackie added it
Jan 14, 2015
Juanita
Juanita marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Nancy
Nancy added it
May 27, 2014
Helen
Helen added it
Sep 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Robin of Sherwood The Complete Adventures of Robin of Sherwood Catweazle and the magic zodiac Robin of Sherwood: The Time of the Wolf Catweazle, Der Große Zauberer