Start by marking “Catweazle” as Want to Read:
Catweazle

Catweazle

Catweazle was a magician who lived in the eleventh century, but however hard he tried, his spells hardly ever worked. Then one day was different....the only trouble was that the magic had caused him to fly through Time instead of Space. Catweazle ended up at a place called Hexwood Farm, nine centuries later, where everything he saw appeared to happen by magic.
Published September 30th 1975 by Puffin Books (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Catweazle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catweazle

Robin
Oct 23, 2016 Robin rated it it was amazing
Having loved the TV show, I was thoroughly enchanted by this book which follows the plot of the first series. It is written in a gentle style, suitable for the children for whom it was intended, but is not patronising and involves enough plays on words and double meanings to appeal to older readers too. There are also a whole raft of highly entertaining insults that deserve to be more widely used. There are some nice illustrations in my edition, which really capture Geoffrey Bayldon - the lovely ...more
Neville Ridley-smith
Apr 29, 2011 Neville Ridley-smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Read this one to my son and we had great fun.

I remember watching the TV series in the 80's. We watched the first couple of episodes on youtube. This is one of those instances where the book adds quite a bit in terms of colour and information that you don't get in the TV show.

Some of the chapters/episodes are fairly average but that's more than offset by the better ones - especially the classic one with the Telling Bone. Much hilarity.
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 25, 2011 Mikael Kuoppala rated it liked it
Read this multiple times as a child and have revisited it a couple of times as an adult. The concept here is very simple: bring a character from the distant past to experience modern life. An old comedic premise but it has been used in a good way here.

For a young adult book, “Catweazle” is reasonably smart and clever, enough to make me forgive the goofiness of the actual plot. And the novel offers some nice depiction of everyday life through its nicely built characters.
Jascha
My dad read it to me and my brother. I liked it, its kind of funny. Noone belive catweazle, that he is a true magican, while he thinks, that all this mostly technical things we know from today are magic. ...more
Sarahjoy Maddeaux
Jan 10, 2014 Sarahjoy Maddeaux rated it liked it
Recommended to Sarahjoy by: Peter Lewis
An amusing diversion. I'm still not sure how I feel about Catweazle, and the ending seemed somehow sudden and unsatisfying, but perhaps that is to pave the way for later adventures. Time to look up some old episodes of the tv programme and see how they compare.
Joshua
Feb 08, 2014 Joshua rated it it was amazing
Catweazle, a Saxon magician from medieval times, is accidentally transported to modern England. Here he is taken in by young "Carrot," a farm boy. Catweazle continually mistakes modern technology for magic and comedy ensues.
bluetyson
isbn,original
Simon
Jul 13, 2013 Simon rated it really liked it
This novel is based on the classic children's TV series of the same name. Essentially it is a novelisation of the first season. The TV series is more entertaining, but this was well worth the read.
Bettie☯
Sep 30, 2010 Bettie☯ rated it really liked it
Kathleen Dixon
Jul 18, 2014 Kathleen Dixon rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Very funny book about an unsuccessful eleventh-century magician who manages to transport himself to the modern day.
Ron
Jun 23, 2013 Ron rated it it was amazing
I read and re-read this about ten times, one time after another.
Nick
Jan 04, 2017 Nick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I just loved this book, and the TV series, as an 11 year old. Richard Carpenter has written a few books, and writes well. Electrickery, the telling bone and other clever stuff!
Duncan Smith
May 06, 2016 Duncan Smith rated it liked it
The book is OK but the real magic is in the TV version. All time classic.
Tina
Tina rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2011
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2013
Kong
Kong rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2014
Adam Stevenson
Adam Stevenson rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Kim Cragg
Kim Cragg rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Ylva
Ylva rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Pete Aldin
Pete Aldin rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2011
Suzanne Window
Suzanne Window rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2012
Linda Rollins
Linda Rollins rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2011
Megan O'Leary
Megan O'Leary rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2012
Sue
Sue rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2010
aleph3
aleph3 rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Alison
Alison rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2015
Carl
Carl rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2008
Mark Pearson
Mark Pearson rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2012