Start by marking “Evil Ways (Quincey Morris, #2)” as Want to Read:
Evil Ways (Quincey Morris, #2)

Evil Ways (Quincey Morris #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  516 ratings  ·  48 reviews
A Quincey Morris supernatural investigation.

Supernatural investigator Quincey Morris and his partner Libby Chastain, investigate a series of murders where white witches are being hunted and killed - and Libby may be next on the list. From Iraq to America, a trail of clues is pointing to eccentric billionaire, Walter Grobius, a man fascinated with a devastating evil that ca
Published December 30th 2008 by Solaris (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Evil Ways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evil Ways

The Alloy of Law by Brandon SandersonThe Greyfriar by Clay GriffithThe Final Empire by Brandon SandersonThe Kingmakers by Clay GriffithChanges by Jim Butcher
Chris McGrath Book Covers
63rd out of 121 books — 36 voters
The Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim EdwardsWicked by Gregory MaguireThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Wall Bangers!
365th out of 549 books — 447 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly
Oct 05, 2009 Kelly marked it as dnf
I enjoyed Justin Gustainis's debut novel, Black Magic Woman, quite a bit. Highlights included the partnership between protagonists Quincey Morris and Libby Chastain, the originality of using a wide variety of world magical/religious traditions in the story rather than focusing on just one, and the tangled ethics of witch-hunting when the "witch" is real and malevolent. Gustainis worked all of these elements into an action-packed plot that held my attention from beginning to end. I was looking f ...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Rating* 4.0
*Genre* Dark Fantasy/Demons/Witches/Other

*Review*

Evil Ways is the second story in the Quincey Morris Supernatural Investigation and follows a really nasty warlock named Pardee and his ultra-rich boss Walter Globius, as they ready themselves for the coming of Walpurgis Night and the event that will change the course of history. Globius was first introduced in Black Magic Woman as the man behind the scenes guiding his murderous followers in their attempt to gather body parts for his ce
Schnaucl
I didn't think this book was as strong as the first book but I still enjoyed it. The last book had a stronger emphasis on the maturity of the main characters and that was on of the things that made it really stand out from other urban fantasy series.

There was a brief crossover with Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series which didn't really have a purpose but I thought was still enjoyable. Understandably, Harry couldn't make an appearance, but one of the characters does know him and they had a drink
Invested Ivana
1. Class: Popcorn (pulp).
2. Genre(s): Urban Fantasy, Suspense.
3. Perspective: Third-Person Omniscient.
4. Morality: White hat.
5. Action: Not quite wimpy, but not quite wowza, though not in a negative way. Except at the end, it does get pretty intense then.
6. Characters: Flesh. You don't get as intimate with characters in the third person perspective, but the author did a good job of making them real and making me care about them. The Pardee character did seem to have a huge personality change at
Amanda
I think that Justin wrote a great book. I like the secondary characters and wonder if we will see them anymore in the future books. It was very sad to read his dedication to his wife...
Arabis
I was less keen on this than 'Black Magic Woman'. Not sure I'd bother with the next in the series when it comes out.
Shomeret
Amy Lane, who is one of my favorite authors, recently wrote a blog essay complaining about the number of times reviewers in the blogosphere admonish authors to "Show don't tell" when that isn't what they mean at all. They often mean that the book is written in omniscient perspective when they prefer first person. She then illustrated how it's possible to show instead of telling through omniscient narrative. It's absolutely true that a good writer can manage this very well, but many of those who ...more
Nuranar
After the first book, Evil Ways was somewhat a disappointment. Once again, although these are billed as "Morris and Chastain" adventures, only half of the book is actually about Morris and Chastain. The rest follows agent Fenton once again (with a new partner), and again, more bad guy POV.

The plot itself was stronger than the first book's, partially because the first book's function was to set up this one.

I was left disappointed, though, and I think it's because the author isn't really deliverin
Lori S.
Evil running amok, killing little kids for their organs, a Black Magician who comes across as a spoiled little boy who did not get his way and several people intent on stopping the coming of, well, the END. Though Gustainis writes a fairly good story, his dialogue can be quite clunky and awkward at times and I think he tries too hard to explain stuff that should be obvious to the reader. Still, I enjoyed this book.

This is the name dropping book and I found myself wondering just how close to copy
Milo (Bane of Kings)
After relatively enjoying Black Magic Woman, the first novel in the Morris and Chastain Investigations, I delved into Evil Ways and got, more or less a similar quality of writing from Gustainis.

Almost a year after the events in the previous book, we rejoin the Private Investigator Quincey Morris along with characters first introduced in Black Magic Woman, with Agent Fenton of the FBI returning to steal some of the attention away from Morris and Chastain, and keep the same problem that I had wit
⊱ Irena ⊰
While reading this, I had a feeling that I am supposed to watch this, not read it.
Each scene has different set of characters: Libby and Quincey are trying to figure out who or what is trying to kill Libby and later figuring out how to stop the bad guys, Colleen O'Donnell and Fenton are investigating murders similar to the ones from the first book, Pardee and Grobius are preparing for a special ceremony and so on. It would look great if it were a film. It was certainly written as if it is suppos
Deborah Replogle
While this novel had promise, it really wasn't as strong as his first book Black Magic Woman. The idea was good, and the plot followed through in a believable manner up to a point. But his descriptive narrative really needs some work. There were several pieces brought in that really weren't necessary to the plot - for example the need for the white witches to take three buses instead of two. The part of the story that really made me wonder what was going through his mind was when the White Witch ...more
Kathy Martin
This second case for Morris and Chastain ramps up the intensity of the first case. Someone, in fact a group of someones, are killing children and harvesting their organs. Morris is blackmailed by FBI Agent Dale Fenton and his new white witch partner Colleen O'Donnell to investigate the case. Meanwhile, someone is targeting and killing white witches and have made a few unsuccessful attempts to kill Libby Chastain.

Quincey has Libby join him to help with his investigation and to protect her too. T
Eileen
Evil Ways is the second book in a supernatural detective series. Quincey and Libby are once again investigating some wicked magic. As before, it takes a combination of magical and non-magical know how to get them through. I like this series because it’s a little different in the world of Urban Fantasy. Male POVs are hard to come by in this genre, especially an all human one. Quincey Morris is a likable normal guy, holding his own amidst unnatural circumstances. Qunicey’s magic tricks are complim ...more
Vickie
EVIL WAYS is a fab mixture of grim and humor, just the way I like my UF. A little snark, a lotta magical mayhem. And the good guys to step in and stomp on Evil after proving to the nonbelievers that Evil, magical Evil, exists and it needs eradicating.

I had a difficult time with an aspect of the story, the child mutilations and murders. It was handled as well as could be expected and I kind of skimmed those.

This is one of the best UF series out there. Justin Gustainis adds these neat little tou
Deirdre
This one started off a bit slow but gained momentum as it continued, I loved the shadow of a cameo by Harry Dresden (he doesn't appear because he has other things he has to do but Morris and Chastain visit his stomping grounds). Someone is killing white witches and children and Morris and Chastain have to try to stop them before they do something earth-shattering.

I liked it, it wasn't remarkable but it was diverting.
Joseph Farand
EVIL WAYS is the second book in Gustainis's Morris and Chastain Investigation series. Quincy Morris in "persuaded" to help the FBI when the ritalistic killing of childrens expands nationwide, implying some sort of conspiracy. A more open-minded Agent Fenton is put in charge of the case and his new partner is an agent with "special abilities". Meanwhile white witches are being killed and Libby seems to be a special target. We also see the return of the mysterious billionaire Grobius from BLACK MA ...more
Greg Trosclair
Evil Ways is the Second book in the Morris & Chastain series. I would like to give it 3.5 stars but cannot with the Goodreads system so it goes to 3 stars as it was not as good as Black Magic Woman. I am looking forward to the third book Sympathy with the Devil.

I enjoy Gustainis' characters. While not complete I care what happens to them. I enjoyed the big bad guy, Paardee. I like that his foes often react like real people when their plans are exposed.

This series along with his Occult Crim
~Anita~
Quincey got to visit Mac's serious Dresden files homage. Even if Mac was more loquaios than usual.
Christine
I didn't enjoy this one as much as I did the first in the series.
Steve Isenhower
Excellent! Much better than the first book!
aaron
the second book in the morris and chastain investigations is another good, solid read. this one follows the two as they investigate two seemingly different investigations, one where children are being murdered, and one where white witches are being murdered. it all comes to point to an eccentric billionaire who seems to be attempting a ritual that will heal him of a disease. a good romp, but beware if you are of a weak stomach, because this is a somewhat graphic book. good read though!
Anjo Bacarisas II
This was my first read about a not-too-above-mundane cloak and dagger plot. And I find this interesting and not bad at all. I mean, different plots joining together near the end, isn't that interesting? Although I'm a bit disappointed about Morris in this book. At first, he showed a great participation in the story but later it became simple and not too significant. It's not what I expected out of him. I love Hannah!
Haralambi Markov
As a whole, “Evil Ways” is a good concept with an execution that didn’t manage to stir much of a reaction out of me. I am not sure I am in the capacity to recommend or warn off people as the experience as a whole was bittersweet and confusing. I still can’t make up my kind about “Evil Ways”, but there are enough reviews to show you a different perspective.
Aliyyah
All of you Jim Butcher fans, definitely check out this new author. This is the second book in the series and features a rather infamous bar in Chicago (Jim Butcher-approved of course). The action is fast, the characters are memorable and I can't wait to read more.
Dave
Oct 04, 2011 Dave rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Jim Butcher or Simon Greene
Shelves: fantasy
This paranormal book was fun, similar in tone to Jim Butcher's Dresden files but less humorous. I enjoyed the story and look forward to reading more by Justin Gustainis. Good characterizations and a fast-paced adventure made it a quick read.
Kathy
A good, solid read. I liked this one better than the first, Black Magic Woman, which was good as well. Evil Ways moves along at a quick rate and comes to a satisfying ending. I look forward to book 3 in the series.
David
There are other, decidedly less unpleasant, ways to get information out of a reluctant informant when one is the FBI and the informant is in Federal prison. The good guys could stand to take on a hint of grey.
Emily
really like this guy. his plotting is tight, is characters are fully fleshed, he is not afraid to drop the f-bomb. he refers to other writers' stories, its great, love to see more work by mr. gustainis.
Leah Kleinman
Another good read about Quincy Morris and Elizabeth Chastain battleing the people who choose the Left-hand path (black magic). I really enjoyed this one, a great way to spend the weekend.
  • Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2)
  • Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)
  • Animal Instinct
  • Unperfect Souls (Connor Grey, #4)
  • Eye Spy (Eye Spy, #1)
  • New Tricks (Dog Days, #2)
  • The Skinwalker Conspiracies (Dead Eye #2)
  • Hell Cop
  • Hellforged (Deadtown, #2)
  • Knight Moves (Black Knight Chronicles, #3)
  • Dead Mann Running (Hessius Mann, #2)
  • A Flash of Hex (OSI, #2)
  • Road Trip of the Living Dead (Amanda Feral, #2)
  • His Name Is John (Elliott Smith #1)
  • The Map of Moments (Hidden Cities, #2)
  • Howling Legion (Skinners, #2)
  • Poison Sleep (Marla Mason, #2)
Justin Gustainis was born in Northeast Pennsylvania in 1951. He attended college at the University of Scranton, a Jesuit university that figures prominently in several of his writings.

After earning both Bachelor's and Master's degrees, he was commissioned a Lieutenant in the U. S. Army.

Mr. Gustainis currently lives in Plattsburgh, New York. He is a Professor of Communication at Plattsburgh State U
More about Justin Gustainis...

Quincey Morris (5 books)
  • Black Magic Woman (Quincey Morris, #1)
  • Sympathy for the Devil  (Quincey Morris, #3)
  • Play with Fire (Quincey Morris #4)
  • Midnight at the Oasis (Quincey Morris, #5)
Hard Spell (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation #1) Black Magic Woman (Quincey Morris, #1) Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2) Sympathy for the Devil  (Quincey Morris, #3) Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives

“You know, I've never asked why it doesn't offend your feminist principles for me to carry this beast for you."

I look at it as exploiting the oppressor," she said, with a sweet smile.”
5 likes