Start by marking “The Revolution of Sabine” as Want to Read:
The Revolution of Sabine

The Revolution of Sabine

In 1776 Paris, a feisty teenager defies her mother, her closest friend, and the aristocracy that rules her life in a compelling romantic novel of social intrigue.

Sixteen-year-old Sabine Durand, daughter of aristocrats, thinks of nothing but donning exquisite ball gowns and being seen at all the right parties in Paris. When she secretly rekindles a forbidden friendship with
Published September 9th 2008 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Revolution of Sabine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Revolution of Sabine

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Tasha for TeensReadToo.com

It's 1776 in Paris, France, and while it isn't America, there is still discussion of the American Revolution. There is especially a lot of talk about Benjamin Franklin, the revolutionary American who is coming to visit Paris. All of the socially elite are planning parties in honor of his visit, and it is crucial that they are all perfect.

Sabine Durand's mother is no exception. She wants perfection for her latest party where Franklin is the guest of honor. Sh
Clickety
Jul 05, 2009 Clickety rated it did not like it
The only reason this got on the 'read' shelf instead of 'put-back' was that it was so short. The characters are tissue-paper thin, not to mention ridiculously modern. Eugh.

And the plot is stale and completely predictable, right down to the 'twist' at the end. Dear Author: don't just tell "any teenage girl's coming-of-age story." Tell THIS one. Make it unique. PLEASE.

And you know what? If you can't DO that, go back to editing. You've clearly noticed which pieces work well together; that doesn't
Abby
May 12, 2011 Abby rated it it was ok
The Revolution of Sabine by Beth Ain Levine
Candlewick, 2008, 224 pages
YA Historical Fiction

In Beth Ain Levine's The Revolution of Sabine, Sabine's revolution is not the only revolution going on. Sabine is experiencing the American Revolution but through a lens which is atypical for American readers. Sabine is a young French girl, struggling with the idea of traditional womanhood in Eighteenth Century France. Her coming of age becomes more difficult as, not only her headstrong attitude leads her
Lady Knight
I love historical ficiton, but I really love it when an author looks at a subject from a new perspective. The Revolution of Sabine takes a look at the American Revolution (and the rumblings of the French Revolutoin) through the eyes of a sixteen year old aristocratic girl. At first that may seem to be an odd fit, but it works well.

Sabine has never truly been comfortable with her life of "ease", seeing it as one big façade. When she was a child her best friend was the son of her governess, Micha
Keri
Oct 29, 2011 Keri rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book my second time around much more than I did reading it the first time. I think this is because I've learned enough about the relationships between the American and French Revolutions to finally understand the book's key themes and concepts. I love the allusions to Lafayette throughout the novel as well as the references to great essays by Thomas Paine and works of literature by Voltaire. However, this books leaves me conflicted because the language, dialogue, and chara ...more
Elyodnagaet
Dec 13, 2008 Elyodnagaet rated it liked it
This book shows that you have to take charge of your life. In "The revolution of Sabine," one young girl has to choose between her family's happiness or her's. Sabine is a teenage aristocrat living in france, the story is set right before the french revolution. She is forced to an aranged marriage, but at the same time, she lothes the life of a peasant boy named Michel. One night at a party, she meets the one and only Benjaman Franklin, an insperation to all the french people. She finally realiz ...more
Anastasia
Dec 18, 2012 Anastasia rated it it was ok
Sabine is a 16 year old French aristocrat during the 1700's. She wants more then ballgowns and arranged marriages and a chance meeting with Benjamin Franklin and a first reading of Voltaire opens her eyes to a new way. Her friendship with a servant Michel also begins to blossom into something more.

This was a fun glimpse into history from a young girl's perspective. I wouldn't call it a page turner, but it kept me interested during most of it. You find yourself rooting for Michel and Sabine, aga
Brenda
Jun 16, 2009 Brenda rated it liked it
Sabine Durand was born into a world of French aristocrats, a world in which she feels like she belongs. That is until her overbearing mother decides it is time for Sabine to get married and has chosen a lecherous aristocrat to become her husband. As her world starts to spiral out of control, she secretly rekindles her relationship with a servant boy named Michel who escorts her to her first salon and a meeting with the famous Ben Franklin.

This books is a very good read for junior high students w
Shannyn
Aug 07, 2012 Shannyn rated it really liked it
This book was great. As you all know, I am a sucker for a good cover (it makes reading more enjoyable!) and this one really drew me in. So first of all. This book was not just about an aristocratic girl who wanted to escape.
Okay so it was.
But it was written better than most. Instead of the usual "I want to shake things up and find a better life" There was actually some content and thought behind her beliefs. The plot made it so that she was viewing the world around her differently. It's hard t
Lindi
Nov 20, 2008 Lindi rated it liked it
QNPoohBear
I thought I would enjoy this novel of a young lady who wishes to break free of the constricting rules of her wealthy French family just prior to the French Revolution. The story wasn't nearly long enough to fully cover the subject. I did like Sabine and her personal growth was interesting but the ending felt kind of rushed and unsatisfying. Sabine's mother is a wonderful villain and well-written so that the reader alternately sympathizes with her and hates her. The writing style seemed very juv ...more
Kristen
Feb 17, 2009 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Sabine has it all - dresses, food to kill for, and no problems whatsoever... oh besides having a mother who cares little for her and just wants to marry her off. Sabine seems happy for the most part, until she realizes that when it comes to marriage, she now has no choice in the matter. Her husband to be scares her with his rough attitude and lack of charm when alone with her and she turns to books and an old childhood friend (Michel) for help. It's set during a time in France where they admire ...more
Noa Bash
Dec 26, 2013 Noa Bash rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The author did a very good job bringing each and every character to life, while immersing you in 18th century France. I did feel like the ending was a bit convenient, and that was the reason the book lost a star. Overall, this book was well-paced, and it never felt like the author put in "fluff" to make the book look better and longer. I think this book was a very fun, and uplifting read, and I am glad I found it.
Lisa
Sep 04, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
Though the cover makes it look like a romance novel for teens, I actually liked this book. It was interesting to see Sabine torn between the aristocracy and rebeling against her mother's way of life. I thought the end proved her to be a strong-willed teen that today's readers will find sympathy with.
Tia
Jun 19, 2013 Tia rated it really liked it
A cold and distant mother, an arranged marriage, conniving best friend and a forbidden love.

I enjoyed this story. I believe I first heard about it from Misty on You Tube. I saw it being offered at discount on Bookcloseouts and nabbed it.

Character Development...4
Story...... 4
Pacing.....5
Scenery....There really wasn't any
Believability...4
Jenny
Feb 17, 2010 Jenny rated it it was ok
I loved the idea, and I liked the descriptions of Ben Franklin, but the story was so short. The characterizations were brief, and the plot seemed choppy and stilted. The ending seemed a little incredulous, but was toned down at the last minute by a father that had until that point remained basically anonymous. I was very disappointed that there wasn't so much more to this book.
Dariya
"I would have enjoyed this book much more if there was more to it. There is no depth to this book. Its like I just started reading it and POOF! I'm already done. The plot was rather horizontal; hardly any major peak that got you wanting more, more, more!!!! The ending was excruciating. Don't get me started on that. This book need more oomph. It just wasn't there."
Rachel Burt
Set during the time of the French Revolution. It seemed the author just threw in random historical figures, there was no character development besides Sabine and I hated the ending, it didn't make any sense.
Nicole
Apr 09, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it
It was a cute little story, mostly fluff with some grand ideas behind it. I did however, like the ending quite a lot, because it really backed up the notion of self determination of one's fate, and we don't know what Sabine will choose, only that she will choose.
Rachel
May 04, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it
I was excited and incited by this novel of social intrigue. For the most part, I liked it. I wish the plot had gone farther, it ended a tad abruptly for me, and I didn't love how it ended and when it did. But I couldn't put it down for the most part!
Jul 07, 2008 Laura rated it liked it
I'm always skeptical when historical fiction trots out the Big Important Figure, but in this case Franklin was kept almost in the background... Sabine's growth seemed real, and I can imagine teen girls finding this of interest.
Trish
Mar 29, 2010 Trish rated it it was ok
I probably would have enjoyed this book if I were ten. It was a little too predictable and tidy for me. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood. I will say that the ending was a nice surprise... women's lib and all.
Tracie
Feb 20, 2009 Tracie rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-school
Sabine lives in a world where everything is taken care of for her from how to dress, to what to eat, to who to marry. When she reconnects with her childhood friend Michel, the son of her governess, she starts to understand and comes to believe that one can shape his/her destiny.
Vicki
Jun 14, 2012 Vicki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen
Sabine is trapped in her life as an aristocrat in France. Her childhood friend, Michel shows her the way to freedom and free thinking. Benjamin Franklin is visiting France and makes it known to a few that he is fighting for freedom too in America. Great Read!
Elizabeth Larson
Aug 23, 2010 Elizabeth Larson rated it really liked it
good historical fiction. Pretty good.
Charmaine Battle
Aug 30, 2015 Charmaine Battle rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. I didn't want it to end.
Danielle Stewart
Nov 11, 2012 Danielle Stewart rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book.Great plot.
A Bear and a Bee Books (Samantha)
This was a fast paced coming of age story with a touch of romance and a bit of history. I especially enjoyed the appearances of Benjamin Franklin. Well done!
Oksana  *Bookaholic*
Aug 09, 2012 Oksana *Bookaholic* rated it liked it
Shelves: olden-days
I didn't really get the point of this book. It wasn't that interesting, and it didn't always have my attention.
Julie
Aug 02, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Maybe a 3.5. A short, easy read about freedoms, choice, class structure and happiness.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 17, 2016 10:42AM
  • Darkness Under the Water
  • The Ghosts of Kerfol
  • Down Sand Mountain
  • Falling Hard: 100 Love Poems by Teenagers
  • Deadville
  • The Ever-After Bird
  • The Sky Village (Kaimira, #1)
  • The Possibilities of Sainthood
  • Genesis Alpha
  • A Golden Web
  • Blue Flame (Perfect Fire Trilogy, #1)
  • The Santa Letters
  • I Am Apache
  • A Sweet Disorder
  • The Mystery of the Spider's Clue (The Boxcar Children, #87)
  • The Anubis Murders
  • Ashes (The Gray Area, #1)
  • Triskellion (Triskellion, #1)
I was born in Hershey, Pennsylvania. (Yes, that Hershey—the one with all the chocolate!) But then my family moved to Allentown, Pennsylvania where I got to grow up across the street from my best friend, ride bikes after school, and get wet to my ankles in the creek in my neighborhood, trying to save frogs from being swept away.
Then some things like junior high and high school happened and I was a
More about Beth Ain...