Start by marking “The Revolution of Sabine” as Want to Read:
The Revolution of Sabine

The Revolution of Sabine

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  47 reviews
In 1776 Paris, a feisty teenager defies her mother, her closest friend, and the aristocracy that rules her life in a compelling romantic novel of social intrigue.

Sixteen-year-old Sabine Durand, daughter of aristocrats, thinks of nothing but donning exquisite ball gowns and being seen at all the right parties in Paris. When she secretly rekindles a forbidden friendship with
Published September 9th 2008 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Revolution of Sabine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Revolution of Sabine

1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyLord of the Flies by William GoldingFlowers for Algernon by Daniel KeyesThe Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
Books That Make You Think
73rd out of 82 books — 51 voters
The Reluctant Bride by Beverley EikliMarksman by David        CookFirebolt by Adrienne  WoodsThe Last Gift by Carla AchesonThe Medea Complex by Rachel Florence Roberts
best historical fiction in my opinion 3
102nd out of 147 books — 71 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Tasha for TeensReadToo.com

It's 1776 in Paris, France, and while it isn't America, there is still discussion of the American Revolution. There is especially a lot of talk about Benjamin Franklin, the revolutionary American who is coming to visit Paris. All of the socially elite are planning parties in honor of his visit, and it is crucial that they are all perfect.

Sabine Durand's mother is no exception. She wants perfection for her latest party where Franklin is the guest of honor. Sh
Lady Knight
I love historical ficiton, but I really love it when an author looks at a subject from a new perspective. The Revolution of Sabine takes a look at the American Revolution (and the rumblings of the French Revolutoin) through the eyes of a sixteen year old aristocratic girl. At first that may seem to be an odd fit, but it works well.

Sabine has never truly been comfortable with her life of "ease", seeing it as one big façade. When she was a child her best friend was the son of her governess, Micha
Elyodnagaet
This book shows that you have to take charge of your life. In "The revolution of Sabine," one young girl has to choose between her family's happiness or her's. Sabine is a teenage aristocrat living in france, the story is set right before the french revolution. She is forced to an aranged marriage, but at the same time, she lothes the life of a peasant boy named Michel. One night at a party, she meets the one and only Benjaman Franklin, an insperation to all the french people. She finally realiz ...more
Anastasia
Sabine is a 16 year old French aristocrat during the 1700's. She wants more then ballgowns and arranged marriages and a chance meeting with Benjamin Franklin and a first reading of Voltaire opens her eyes to a new way. Her friendship with a servant Michel also begins to blossom into something more.

This was a fun glimpse into history from a young girl's perspective. I wouldn't call it a page turner, but it kept me interested during most of it. You find yourself rooting for Michel and Sabine, aga
Brenda
Sabine Durand was born into a world of French aristocrats, a world in which she feels like she belongs. That is until her overbearing mother decides it is time for Sabine to get married and has chosen a lecherous aristocrat to become her husband. As her world starts to spiral out of control, she secretly rekindles her relationship with a servant boy named Michel who escorts her to her first salon and a meeting with the famous Ben Franklin.

This books is a very good read for junior high students w
Shannyn
This book was great. As you all know, I am a sucker for a good cover (it makes reading more enjoyable!) and this one really drew me in. So first of all. This book was not just about an aristocratic girl who wanted to escape.
Okay so it was.
But it was written better than most. Instead of the usual "I want to shake things up and find a better life" There was actually some content and thought behind her beliefs. The plot made it so that she was viewing the world around her differently. It's hard t
Qnpoohbear
I thought I would enjoy this novel of a young lady who wishes to break free of the constricting rules of her wealthy French family just prior to the French Revolution. The story wasn't nearly long enough to fully cover the subject. I did like Sabine and her personal growth was interesting but the ending felt kind of rushed and unsatisfying. Sabine's mother is a wonderful villain and well-written so that the reader alternately sympathizes with her and hates her. The writing style seemed very juv ...more
Clickety
The only reason this got on the 'read' shelf instead of 'put-back' was that it was so short. The characters are tissue-paper thin, not to mention ridiculously modern. Eugh.

And the plot is stale and completely predictable, right down to the 'twist' at the end. Dear Author: don't just tell "any teenage girl's coming-of-age story." Tell THIS one. Make it unique. PLEASE.

And you know what? If you can't DO that, go back to editing. You've clearly noticed which pieces work well together; that doesn't
Kristen
Sabine has it all - dresses, food to kill for, and no problems whatsoever... oh besides having a mother who cares little for her and just wants to marry her off. Sabine seems happy for the most part, until she realizes that when it comes to marriage, she now has no choice in the matter. Her husband to be scares her with his rough attitude and lack of charm when alone with her and she turns to books and an old childhood friend (Michel) for help. It's set during a time in France where they admire ...more
Noa Bash
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The author did a very good job bringing each and every character to life, while immersing you in 18th century France. I did feel like the ending was a bit convenient, and that was the reason the book lost a star. Overall, this book was well-paced, and it never felt like the author put in "fluff" to make the book look better and longer. I think this book was a very fun, and uplifting read, and I am glad I found it.
Lindi
social classes
light romance
rated G
Jenny
I loved the idea, and I liked the descriptions of Ben Franklin, but the story was so short. The characterizations were brief, and the plot seemed choppy and stilted. The ending seemed a little incredulous, but was toned down at the last minute by a father that had until that point remained basically anonymous. I was very disappointed that there wasn't so much more to this book.
Dariya
"I would have enjoyed this book much more if there was more to it. There is no depth to this book. Its like I just started reading it and POOF! I'm already done. The plot was rather horizontal; hardly any major peak that got you wanting more, more, more!!!! The ending was excruciating. Don't get me started on that. This book need more oomph. It just wasn't there."
Tia
A cold and distant mother, an arranged marriage, conniving best friend and a forbidden love.

I enjoyed this story. I believe I first heard about it from Misty on You Tube. I saw it being offered at discount on Bookcloseouts and nabbed it.

Character Development...4
Story...... 4
Pacing.....5
Scenery....There really wasn't any
Believability...4
Lisa
Though the cover makes it look like a romance novel for teens, I actually liked this book. It was interesting to see Sabine torn between the aristocracy and rebeling against her mother's way of life. I thought the end proved her to be a strong-willed teen that today's readers will find sympathy with.
Tracie
Sabine lives in a world where everything is taken care of for her from how to dress, to what to eat, to who to marry. When she reconnects with her childhood friend Michel, the son of her governess, she starts to understand and comes to believe that one can shape his/her destiny.
Nicole
It was a cute little story, mostly fluff with some grand ideas behind it. I did however, like the ending quite a lot, because it really backed up the notion of self determination of one's fate, and we don't know what Sabine will choose, only that she will choose.
Vicki
Jun 14, 2012 Vicki rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: teen
Sabine is trapped in her life as an aristocrat in France. Her childhood friend, Michel shows her the way to freedom and free thinking. Benjamin Franklin is visiting France and makes it known to a few that he is fighting for freedom too in America. Great Read!
Rachel
I was excited and incited by this novel of social intrigue. For the most part, I liked it. I wish the plot had gone farther, it ended a tad abruptly for me, and I didn't love how it ended and when it did. But I couldn't put it down for the most part!
I'm always skeptical when historical fiction trots out the Big Important Figure, but in this case Franklin was kept almost in the background... Sabine's growth seemed real, and I can imagine teen girls finding this of interest.
Rachel Burt
Set during the time of the French Revolution. It seemed the author just threw in random historical figures, there was no character development besides Sabine and I hated the ending, it didn't make any sense.
Trish
I probably would have enjoyed this book if I were ten. It was a little too predictable and tidy for me. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood. I will say that the ending was a nice surprise... women's lib and all.
Merissa Childress
It is very perdictable but i feel like i want it to be another part
Caitlinleah
not a big historical fiction fan, but i always like upity girls, runaways from unhappy households and the like. also was the fun of benjamin franklin being someplace as unamerican as paris.
Chrissie
A fun, fluffy book. Nothing too serious, as it doesn't actually touch on the French Revolution and its events, just the leading up to it, at all. A quick read, worth the time spent.
Chelsea
Nice quick read. Not the best book I have ever read, but it is in the genre I enjoy. It could have been brilliant had it been longer and the characters more fleshed out.
Shaney
Apr 03, 2012 Shaney added it
Shelves: history, light-reads
It was interesting... it gave a very brief overlook at the aristocrats position right before the french revolution. It was n easy read (2 hours at the most)
Audrey
this book was a fantastic short read....the only part i didn't like was the fact it was written in third person....it made it hard to get into.
  • The Ghosts of Kerfol
  • Darkness Under the Water
  • Down Sand Mountain
  • Falling Hard: 100 Love Poems by Teenagers
  • Genesis Alpha
  • The Sky Village (Kaimira, #1)
  • The Ever-After Bird
  • Deadville
  • Sweetsmoke
  • I Am Apache
  • Triskellion (Triskellion, #1)
  • A Sweet Disorder
  • A Golden Web
  • The Possibilities of Sainthood
  • Emiko Superstar
  • The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose
  • The Santa Letters
  • The Lady in the Tower
I was born in Hershey, Pennsylvania. (Yes, that Hershey—the one with all the chocolate!) But then my family moved to Allentown, Pennsylvania where I got to grow up across the street from my best friend, ride bikes after school, and get wet to my ankles in the creek in my neighborhood, trying to save frogs from being swept away.
Then some things like junior high and high school happened and I was a
More about Beth Ain...
Starring Jules: As Herself (Starring Jules, #1) Starring Jules: In Drama-Rama (Starring Jules, #2) Starring Jules: Super-Secret Spy Girl (Starring Jules, #3) Starring Jules: Third Grade Debut (Starring Jules, #4) From Gold to Dust (Portraits, #3)