Start by marking “Early Medieval Europe, 300 1000” as Want to Read:
Early Medieval Europe, 300 1000

Early Medieval Europe, 300 1000 (Palgrave History of Europe)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This book offers a fascinating account of Europe from the fall of the Roman Empire through to the end of the tenth century. In its wide-ranging coverage of the period, it takes into account social, economic and political changes as well as the important cultural changes, including the rise of Islam and the recreation of a western empire under the Cardingians.

[From back cov
Paperback, 2nd ed., 560 pages
Published April 1st 2007 by MacMillan (first published April 23rd 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Early Medieval Europe, 300 1000, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Early Medieval Europe, 300 1000

Old-Barbarossa
A huge subject covered in a densely written book which still only manages to cover most things fairly shallowly.
But it’s a general Hx, so it does what it sets out to do I suppose, giving a broad picture over a 700 year span. At times written in a very academic style, occasionally paragraphs that in essence are just lists of who did what to who with little context. I think as a course text book this would work, but tricky at times for a general reader.
One thing that really lets it down is the lac
Pam
It took me about a year to read this, I think. It is quite dry and poorly written (with many sentences containing numerous embedded clauses. A nightmare to untangle). However, I am glad I read it because I knew next to nothing about medieval europe before reading this book, and now I feel better prepared to find a better, more interesting book about the subject (this book is on loan- thanks Ben Anderson!) At the ends of the chapters there was usually a pretty interesting conclusion where the aut ...more
Larry
I would call this a so-so book on the topic. It covers some of the basics and relates lots of facts but misses on themes. It spends much time telling what is wrong with the existing information but adds little beyond that. I do understand the author is trying to cover a vast amount of time and geography and he does a good job of that, but again he leaves out so much that would help explain events. For example, he mentions the Morrish rulers of Cordoba but never really gives an idea of what happe ...more
Rindis
This is meant as a serious classroom textbook overview on a very broad subject. Seven centuries of history are not easy to pack into a book of any size, but it is done very well here.

It is necessarily an overview, but Collins does a very good job presenting the main themes and giving a basic understanding of the sources and (conflicting) theories surrounding a very hard to study period in history. I heartily recommend this book to anyone who would like to get a basic grasp of the period between
Antonomasia
When I was younger I had a pretty high tolerance for textbooks and actively enjoyed reading many of them.
Not so Roger Collins' Early Medieval Europe: it stood out as being particularly dry and dull. Which it really, really shouldn't be considering the period it covers.
Trevor
Fantastic, if a little dry. Never have I been able to get such a wealth of information on the early Church much less the various barbarians in proto-Europe. A must read for one interested in this field of history.
Nick Wallace
Interesting developments here and there, but very tedious. Much like early medieval Europe.
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Mercedes Lucero
Mercedes Lucero marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Travis Wahlstedt
Travis Wahlstedt marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Ed Worden
Ed Worden marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Derek Peffer
Derek Peffer marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Josiah
Josiah marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Jessica Cordray
Jessica Cordray marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Cameron Houston
Cameron Houston marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Pramod Nair
Pramod Nair marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Jennifer Jensen
Jennifer Jensen marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Anthea
Anthea marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Marcie Wirth
Marcie Wirth marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Ettelëa
Ettelëa marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Framing the Early Middle Ages: Europe and the Mediterranean, 400-800
  • The History of the Franks
  • Anglo-Saxon England (Oxford History of England)
  • The Oxford Illustrated History of Prehistoric Europe
  • A History of the Crusades, Vol. III: The Kingdom of Acre and the Later Crusades
  • Before France and Germany: The Creation and Transformation of the Merovingian World
  • Medieval Civilization 400-1500
  • The Making of the Middle Ages
  • Feudal Society, Volume 2
  • England Under the Norman and Angevin Kings, 1075-1225
  • The Fall of Rome And the End of Civilization
  • The World of Late Antiquity 150-750 (Library of World Civilization)
  • Western Europe in the Middle Ages 300-1475
  • Yellow Fever, Black Goddess: The Coevolution Of People And Plagues
  • Cathedral, Forge, and Waterwheel: Technology and Invention in the Middle Ages
  • On the Medieval Origins of the Modern State
  • The Empire of the Steppes: A History of Central Asia
  • Science and Islam
Roger J. H. Collins (born 1949) is an English medievalist, currently an honorary fellow in history at the University of Edinburgh.
More about Roger Collins...

Palgrave History of Europe (5 books)
  • Eighteenth-Century Europe
  • Nineteenth-Century Europe (Palgrave History of Europe)
  • Seventeenth-Century Europe: State, Conflict and Social Order in Europe 1598-1700 (Palgrave History of Europe)
  • Sixteenth Century Europe: Expansion and Conflict (Palgrave History of Europe)
Keepers of the Keys of Heaven: A History of the Papacy The Arab Conquest of Spain: 710-797 Visigothic Spain 409-711 Early Medieval Spain The Basques