Start by marking “The Drama of Scripture: Finding Our Place in the Biblical Story” as Want to Read:
The Drama of Scripture: Finding Our Place in the Biblical Story

The Drama of Scripture: Finding Our Place in the Biblical Story

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  41 reviews
The story of the Bible and its account of God's action in the world give meaning to our lives and provide us with the foundation for our actions.
"The Drama of Scripture" is an introduction to the basic story line and theology of the Bible. In considering the biblical story, the authors emphasize the unity of the whole, viewing the Bible as a drama in six acts--creation, s
Published November 1st 2004 by Baker Academic

To ask other readers questions about The Drama of Scripture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Drama of Scripture

Josh Hopping
Drawing from N.T. Wright’s model of the five-act structure, these two Redeemer University College professors lay out an easy-to-read view of the Kingdom of God throughout the Bible.

* Act 1: God Establishes His Kingdom: Creation
* Act 2: Rebellion in the Kingdom: Fall
* Act 3: The King Choose Israel: Redemption Initiated
* Interlude: A Kingdom Story Waiting for an Ending: The Intertestamental Period
* Act 4: The Coming of the King: Redemption Accomplished
* Act 5: Spreading the News of the King:
Todd Miles
This is a solid book that covers the story of Scripture. The authors do an admirable job, structuring their telling around a Kingdom motif. On the whole, this is a good book that digs below the surface of the biblical story - a good place to go to understand the flow of Scripture with some depth. My only concern is their lack of of emphasis on the anticipation of the Messiah in their Old Testament material. Jesus saw himself as central to the message of the Law, Prophets, and Writings (Luke 24). ...more
Dale
This is an expansion of N.T. Wright's 5-point model of the Biblical drama. Bartholomew adds to it a Sixth Act: The Return of the King.

This is a popularizing of Wright's 5-point model to be used in a classroom setting or Bible study. Bartholomew has also provided many helpful resources for getting the most out of the book.

If you are unfamiliar with N.T. Wright, or are looking for an introduction to Biblical Theology with some excellent resources, this boo
Ivan
I read this book in college and recently picked up its revised second edition. It's an excellent book that, as the subtitle states, is about helping Christians find their place in the biblical story.

Every person lives by a worldview. Michael Goheen and Craig Bartholomew explain how one’s worldview impacts life: “A worldview not only describes the world for us, but also directs our life in the world. It not only gives us a perspective on how the world is…, but also acts as a guide for how the wor
Juan Reyes
Bartholomew and Goheen set out in this book to summarise the biblical narrative from Genesis to Revelation. After finishing this book one has a better grasp of the main story that runs through the Bible (which is ultimately the story we find ourselves in). This book is part of a series of books by the same authors:

1) Living at the Crossroads: An Introduction to Christian Worldview
2) Christian Philosophy: A Systematic and Narrative Introduction

I believe their goal is to draw out the implications
Lindsay Kennedy
I am reviewing the UK adaptation.

Read my full review here: http://mydigitalseminary.com/the-dram...

Bartholomew and Goheen should be commended for seeking to put the Bible together as a unified whole. Too many in the church today only read the Bible piecemeal for a ‘daily word’, or neglect whole sections of the Bible or the Biblical storyline itself. For such a difficult task, the authors do a very good job.

By trying to trace the Biblical storyline in a small introductory book, things must be lef
Charlie Creech
The Drama of Scripture is based on the idea that the Bible is a narrative (a story) of how God has worked, and continues to work, throughout history. Usually we will hear or read parts of that story without understanding or knowing how it connects to the whole narrative. This book attempts to take all those stories and put it in the proper order to the main narrative. So it starts at creation and follows the narrative of the bible along to the final book, Revelation. On the way you read all the ...more
Ryan Robinson
A very good book for its purpose, that is, a broad overview of the story of Scripture. The authors succeed in painting a picture of how the Bible has a continuous story from start to finish of how God has interacted with his people in bringing about his Kingdom on Earth. This is vitally important for any Christian to understand, I think, in order to resist the temptation of reducing the Bible to little bits with no overarching story.

It unashamedly borrows heavily from N.T. Wright's 5 Act Model,
Leigh Gilliland
I really liked this book. The authors take you through the Bible in its redemptive story line in a clear and concise way. I would say this is a combination of highlights from 'Far as the Curse is Found' by Michael Williams, Newbigin's 'Household of God' and Clowney's 'The Unfolding Mystery' written with broad strokes in order for one to see the overall picture of the Bible as one grand narrative. The details are missing so that the reader will return to the Bible for answers, I think. They expla ...more
Nathan Moore
In the preface of "The Drama of Scripture: Finding our Place in the Biblical Story," authors Bartholomew and Goheen, suggest that this book was birthed out of necessity. Frustrated for want of a good introductory text for a Biblical Theology course, this book was their attempt to fill a void. However, this should not deter either more advanced readers or lay readers from picking up this book.

Leaning heavily upon N.T. Wright's five-act structure of the Scriptures, the authors suggest that the Scr
Robbie Pruitt
We are living in the greatest story ever told, God's story of love and His plan for redemption.

This grand narrative is larger than us, but it includes us nonetheless. The story is not about us, however, it is about the love of God in His son Jesus. According to "The Drama of Scripture," this story is broken into six main parts: God's establishment of the kingdom in creation, rebellion of the kingdom in the fall of humanity, The King chooses Israel and redemption begins, the coming of The King, J
Nicole
This is a WONDERFUL read! It does a great job of explaining the Bible as a "whole" story. It is easy to read the Bible in part and forget not take the whole of it into consideration. I would recommend this book to anyone who desires a better understanding of Scriptures. I found that I was pushing to read more and to answer the question that was posed in the beginning regarding our place in the history of what God has done, is doing and is yet to do.

There is an analogy that the authors used at th
Elliott Montgomery
The Drama of Scripture is a book thats main idea is to tie together the diverse stories, teachings, themes, and people of the Bible to present it as a complete picture of God's working with His creation. The book separates the Bible into 6 acts. They are as follows: 1) God Establishes His kingdom, 2) Rebellion in the Kingdom, 3) The King Chooses Israel: Redemption Initiated, (Interlude: A kingdom Story Waiting for an Ending: The Intertestamental Period), 4) The Coming of the King: Redemption Acc ...more
Jonathan
A good overview of the story of the Bible as a whole and its focus on the restoration of God's kingdom for all of creation. But it stays at a fairly basic level - for more depth I suggest NT Wright
Peter
This is a good introductory to the story of the Bible. It provides a coherent overview of the arch of the Biblical story. The book was written as a textbook for an Intro to Bible course by two college professors and is geared towards those who have either grew up in the church and need a refresher (like me) and those actively pursuing Christianity.

Personally, I enjoyed it as a an overview and a reminder of the theme of the Bible. When I picked up the book, I was hoping for a more weighty convers
Adam
Discussing the importance of metanarrative, the authors draw on N.T. Wright's 'five act play' analogy for the bible as a comprehensive story and walk the reader through each of those acts with the addition of an intertestamental interlude and a final act six. For those who need a good, thorough introduction to biblical theology utilizing the motif of the kingdom of God Bartholomew and Goheen's book is priceless. There are also corresponding web resources for those who wish to use the book as an ...more
Josiah
This is a fantastic overview of the Bible, and really deserves to be read by everyone. There are a few times that the book raises questions without addressing them adequately, but overall - great book. Accessible to most people I think, although there are some parts which are fairly technical.
Kelly
Wonderfully accessible overview of the Biblical narrative. Goes through the Bible in 6 acts, stressing unity of the whole and what it looks like for us to participate in the ongoing narrative. My reading plans in years past have left me with fragmented understanding of each of the books of the Bible, so this book has really helped fit the pieces together for me. I'm reading "As Far as the Curse is Found" next (for a class) and hope these 2 pair well together.

Highly recommended (especially for u
Harriette
One of the authors of this book was my first religion teacher at the university level. Again he and the co-author bring to life the one united story line of the Bible. They tie it beginning, middle and end to the reader's life by showing that the goal and purpose of redemption goes beyond individual comfort and spiritual life. It is about God's sovereign plan to bring the entire creation from the ruins of sin into restoration and the fullness that had been intended from the very beginning.
Ryan Rindels
Looking at the scriptures holistically, seeing each account with the big picture of eventual, total redemption of all creation is important and needs to be taught to believers. The Old Testament is seen as the "Old" covenant with little relevance to God's people after pentecost. Goheen and Bartholomew show us the promises and purposes of God permeate all of scripture. No parts are irrelevant or fit to be disregarded.
Angie Giancola
Simplistic overview of the meta-narrative of the Bible. Definitely helpful for developing an elementary understanding of God's redemptive plan throughout the Old and New Testaments (and our involvement today). Thoroughly enjoyed the synopsis of the years between the close of the O.T. and beginning of the N.T. - definitely helpful for understanding historical context and perspectives before and during Jesus' ministry.
Edward
Excellent book that walks through the Bible from the beginning to the end. There is a chapter on the intertestamental period helps the reader to understand the setting into which the Son of God entered into human history. I would recommend this for anyone whether or not you have previously read the Bible in its entirety, the authors wrote in an engaging style that made it all seem like new.
Veronica
Another school book. This one was actually really good and helpful to understand the narrative arc of the Bible
Kevin Riggan
The Bible is not a fragmented compilation of witty proverbs and guidelines for life, but rather the story of God and His restorative work in Christ to bring all thing back to himself. This book illustrates this idea perfectly and has a wealth of information that the ordinary Bible skimmer should grab hold of...
James
Building on N.T. Wrights idea of the 5-Act play, Goheen and Bartholomew paint in broad brush the full scope of the biblical story (in six acts) in order to help us locate ourselves in the Biblical story. Helpful things here but relatively basic. Good for people who haven't read their bible yet.
Dan
Whilst this book doesn't necessarily say anything new, it does a great job at tying all of scripture together. The reader is left with the overwhelming truth that its all about Jesus and that in His grace, he has asked us to be apart of His story.
Mike
I read this for a class once upon a time. It is a retelling (with some variations) of N.T. Wright's view of the bible as a five act play. Good over view. Very readable. I would put this on the for all churches.
Joe
I love this book! This is a great way to summarize the faith from Genesis through Revelation and to have a better understanding of how the Scripture is given to us in a larger narrative form.
Travis
Great book to understand the overarching storyline of Scripture. The idea of the story of Scripture as a drama with acts is a great help to grasping the storyline of Scripture.
Travis Stockton
Great book! Gives a great overview of the Bible and provides a look at the bigger picture of Scripture rather than focusing on just the individual stories of each book.
  • The Mission of God: Unlocking the Bible's Grand Narrative
  • Creation Regained: Biblical Basics for a Reformational Worldview
  • Inspiration and Incarnation: Evangelicals and the Problem of the Old Testament
  • Far as the Curse Is Found: The Covenant Story of Redemption
  • Biblical Theology: Old and New Testaments
  • The Unfolding Mystery: Discovering Christ in the Old Testament
  • According to Plan
  • Dominion and Dynasty: A Biblical Theology of the Hebrew Bible
  • The Gospel of the Kingdom: Scriptural Studies in the Kingdom of God
  • The Christ of the Covenants
  • The Resurrection of the Son of God (Christian Origins and the Question of God, #3)
  • An Introduction to the New Testament
  • Engaging God's World: A Christian Vision of Faith, Learning, and Living
  • Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: The Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony
  • An Introduction to the Old Testament
  • Canon of Scripture
  • The Lost World of Genesis One: Ancient Cosmology and the Origins Debate
  • God's Glory in Salvation through Judgment
194639
Craig G. Bartholomew (PhD, University of Bristol) is professor of philosophy, religion, and theology at Redeemer University College in Ancaster, Ontario, where he holds the H. Evan Runner Chair. He is the author of Ecclesiastes in the Baker Commentary on the Old Testament Wisdom and Psalms series, an associate editor of Dictionary for Theological Interpretation of the Bible, and the coauthor, with ...more
More about Craig G. Bartholomew...
Christian Philosophy: A Systematic and Narrative Introduction Old Testament Wisdom Literature: A Theological Introduction Where Mortals Dwell: A Christian View of Place for Today Ecclesiastes Canon and Biblical Interpretation (Scripture and Hermeneutics #7)

“In the ancient Near East, circumcision was practiced by most of the nations. Here God radically changes, for his own people, the meaning of this common cultural practice.” 1 likes
“the biblical story does not encourage anyone to feel detached from, or somehow superior to, this world of space and time and matter.” 0 likes