Start by marking “Stand by Your Hitman (Bombay Assassins, #3)” as Want to Read:
Stand by Your Hitman (Bombay Assassins, #3)

Stand by Your Hitman (Bombay Assassins #3)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  623 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Missi Bombay invents things - fatal flowers, Jell-O bullets, and other ways to kill a target without leaving any kind of evidence. Unfortunately she can't invent a lovelife. Soon her Mum has packed her off to Costa Rica for a wild reality show where she's paired with Lex. Too bad she also has to scope out a potential victim.
Published September 1st 2008 by Leisure Books (first published August 26th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Stand by Your Hitman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stand by Your Hitman

Julie (jjmachshev)
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Sep08

How can you pass up a book with the title of “Stand By Your Hitman”? This is the first novel I’ve read by Leslie Langtry and it is very funny! The story is definitely a romance…and the heroine is an assassin. Is there a feminine form of assassin? Assassinette? Assassiness? I couldn’t find one in the OED (Oxford English Dictionary), but maybe we can all just vote? Anyway, Langtry manages to play off just about every stereotype there is regarding a
Jenn
Sep 21, 2009 Jenn rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Maybe my least favorite in the series. The plot was a little weak and sketchy at best. But again still laugh out loud funny.
Wendy Hines
Jun 19, 2013 Wendy Hines rated it really liked it
This series by Leslie Langtry is a real hoot! STAND BY YOUR HITMAN is the third in the series, and it doesn't disappoint!

Mississippi Bombay, Missi, is the family's inventor; fatal flowers, Jell-O bullets, stroke-inducing panty hose and other ways to kill a target without leaving any kind of evidence. She lives on a secluded island with the rest of the family "council" and raises her two twin boys alone. Her late husband met his maker via a jaywalking accident years ago.

Missi's mother has a new a
Kelli
Nov 05, 2012 Kelli rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying this series! The Bombay Assassin books are fun, light-hearted, witty and just all-around good reads. They remind me of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books, without the disappointment of a slow-moving or recycled plot which I've experienced with the latest installments in the Stephanie Plum series.

Langtry's writing style reads like a conversation between two friends. The books are written in a first-person point-of-view, with a lot of internal dialogue from the main charac
Nancy Goldberg
Jun 29, 2013 Nancy Goldberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Leslie Langtry book was "Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy," and I absolutely loved it. "Stand By Your Hitman" is a winner, too, but I didn't like it quite as well as the first book I read. I never watched "Survivor." I'm a fan of "The Bachelor/Bachelorette." I didn't exactly get the jokes about the show. I also found a few typos, where words were missing and the sentence didn't make any sense.

My likes outweigh my dislikes, though. I loved the chemistry between Missi and Lex--and he has su
Elaine
Jan 14, 2013 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Poor Missi. Her twin boys are about to leave home in about a year to go off to college and she is basically a hermit in her on little lab that she makes all these inventions that will never be noticed on the outside because they are only used for good, I mean to kill bad people, by her family. Her family Council tells her she is going to go on a HIT on a copy show of Survivor from Canada called Survival and that she will get more details as needed. She gets little hints and she finds out where t ...more
Tamera
Mar 03, 2016 Tamera rated it it was ok
Eh, this was ok. I think the author tried too hard, and I just couldn't buy it this time unlike her other stories in this series. So much potential - a great spoof of Survivor, how could it go wrong? Like in all the books, the stream of consciousness process can be entertaining and irrelevant. Butl.. I just couldn't buy into this one. Still some funny lines that made me laugh out loud, but i am not sure if i will read the last book in the series. To be fair, work has been super stressful, which ...more
Becky
May 28, 2016 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought the first 4 books in this series in a kindle bundle. To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of the first two- I only kept reading them because I already owned them. And let me say, I am so glad that I did. Hands down, this was the best one. Hilarious!!! I was laughing out loud the whole book!
Robyn
Feb 01, 2016 Robyn rated it really liked it
Didn't think I would like it as much as I did. Not my favorite out of the three 'Greatest Hits' books, but I laughed almost through the entire book. These books are just so funny. The thought process of these characters are just so great and irreverent.
Sue
Nov 03, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it
This book made me laugh so much! The setting was one that I could easily identify with, having seen something like it on television many times.
The main character finds herself as a contestant of a "Survivor" type contest that is truly low budget - with a set placed on the sands beside a Costa Rica resort and using the tennis court for the tribal counsel. She thinks that she is there to assissinate one of the other characters only to find out that ner mother has signed her up to find a mate.
Th
Shannon Binegar-Foster
May 18, 2016 Shannon Binegar-Foster rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh this one really had my laughing out loud several times. I just love Missy. The bazaar tv show cracked me up. Looking forward to book 4.
Alicia
Mar 31, 2016 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great beach read. I enjoy this series even though it's been ages since I read the first two.
Bibliobabe
Jan 26, 2016 Bibliobabe rated it really liked it
books 3 of the bombays - this is Missi's story - the inventor, who has been placed in a messed up reality show in order to kill one of the contestants. great fun!
Mary Jo Burke
Nov 21, 2014 Mary Jo Burke rated it it was amazing
Love the family business and the ever present mom intervention.
Drew Doll
Oct 26, 2014 Drew Doll rated it really liked it
Cute and funny.

The first few chapters were not as strong as the rest of the book. In fact, I almost put it down because it was trying to hard to be funny. (If I had not been reading it for a challenge I might have.) However, once we got into the actual "Survival" show the book hit its stride and was quite enjoyable.

The scene at the first tribal council was laugh-out-loud funny. There was a mystery, but it was buried in the humor and general craziness of the characters.

Overall an enjoyable, if n
Lori Whitwam
Sep 26, 2010 Lori Whitwam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, romance
A little disappointing. Missi was one of my favorite supporting characters in the earlier books, and I wanted to see her "happily ever after." The entire book essentially being on the set of a Survivor-like reality show kept the other favorite supporting characters out of it. A couple of the other contestants, like Sami, were fun, but the romance with Lex was so under-developed. Very little build-up, very little reward and a rather haphazard happily-ever-after. Hoping Coney's story (book 4) gets ...more
Bookangels12
Nov 08, 2013 Bookangels12 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was another amazing book by Leslie.
This one was about Missi Bomnbay and she was on a tv show and thought she had to kill someone on the show only to find out it wasn't who she thought.
Will Missi kill the wrong man?
Will Missi find love?

Missi's twins help her in ways you wouldn't even think of.

Can she save her twins?

Read this amazing book and find out for yourself.

5 stars all the way.

Book angels12 bought their own copy to read and review.

Mary Newcomb
Missi Bombay becomes a contestant in a reality show, a surprise to her as her mom and sons entered her without her knowledge. The other catch is that her latest victim is a contestant as well, although there is some confusion about the the accuracy of that. Adventure, romance and some mayhem follow in unique fashion.
Misericordia ❣
Sep 18, 2012 Misericordia ❣ rated it it was amazing
The series just keeps getting better and better! This one is Hilarious! Don't read it anywhere where you won't be comfortable laughing out loud!

Quote:
There’s no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you’ll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Airplane!
Kitty Felone
Sep 18, 2013 Kitty Felone rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-romance
So I've had this book for years before I finally sat down and read it. It's 1st person, so it wasn't easy to get into. When I did, I found it was pretty good and funny. Kind of like a Miss Congeniality story. I really enjoyed the humor, the romance, the story itself. It's definitely worth a keep.
Ashley FL
Jan 13, 2011 Ashley FL rated it it was ok
Part of my reading list for upcoming trip to Costa Rica. Not enough Costa Rica. Not enough plausible plot (and I have low standards). Fast, somewhat cute read, but I wouldn't rush out to get it. Probably 2.75 stars, but I wanted to distinguish it from the many GOOD 3 star reads out there.
Kellie
Jan 10, 2013 Kellie rated it really liked it
DEFINITELY my favorite of the series. Missi is probably one of the best characters, and the Survivor-ish game show setting was fun. I laughed out loud a lot reading this one.

It also starts to set the tone for what happens in the next book.
Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated"
I love these books! They're such fun and so funny! I really don't know if I should laugh at people handling killing so casually, but they're wonderful. This one additionally has a great send-up Survivor done very, very, very wrong.
Jan 05, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: library
I really liked Missi as a supporting character in the first two books, but this book was just ok. The twins were my favorite part of the book; their love for their mom was sweet and their interactions with each other were charming.
Colleen N
Sep 20, 2013 Colleen N rated it really liked it
This was a great book in the series! It took a little longer to get into it but once I did I loved it as much as the other two. I didn't think it had as much humor as the first one but still a great read. On to number 4!
Lance
Sep 23, 2012 Lance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Another.good book in the Bombay family series. This time it is Missi who gets a crazy assignment from the Council and ends up in love. I especially like the roles her sons Jack and Monty play in the story.
Caitlin
May 15, 2013 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable, easy read. Stand By Your Hitman is the third Bombay novel I have read. They are all very funny and fairly fast moving. Aside from the few typos and extra words I absolutely love these stories.
Kathleen
Feb 24, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it
More humor in the Bombay Assassins series. This one is funny because Missi is the smartest one in the family yet she struggles (humorously) to deal with people.
Wendy
Sep 06, 2012 Wendy rated it liked it
not bad but I hate when song lyrics are messed up. it would have taken three seconds to find out Quarterflash, not Pat benatar sings Harden My Heart.
Stacy
Mar 12, 2013 Stacy rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, romance
Completely lame concept but a fun read. Had it been anyone but Missi, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much but she is my favorite Bombay.
  • Love, Life and Linguine
  • Mother, Please!: What a Girl Wants / The Road Home / Upstairs, Downstairs
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Deadly Little Secrets
  • Love at First Sight
  • The Power of the Legendary Greek
  • Whitehorse
  • The Bride's Awakening
  • The Secret Spanish Love Child (Modern Romance)
  • Afternoon Delight
  • A Fare to Remember: Just Whistle / Driven to Distraction / Taken for a Ride
  • Good Girls Don't
  • To Catch a Thief (The Calamity Janes, #3)
  • Laugh or Death (Lexi Graves Mystery, #6)
  • Bedding the Enemy (McJames, #3)
  • Lake Magic
  • The Cheating Curve
  • Here Comes Trouble
Leslie Langtry is a USA Today Bestselling Author of the Merry Wrath Mysteries and the Bombay Family of Assassins Greatest Hits series. She lives in the Midwest with her family and is an active Girl Scout volunteer. Her dream is to someday invent calorie free cake.
More about Leslie Langtry...

Bombay Assassins (7 books)
  • 'Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy (Bombay Assassins, #1)
  • Guns Will Keep Us Together (Bombay Assassins, #2)
  • I Shot You Babe (Bombay Assassins, #4)
  • Paradise by the Rifle Sights (Bombay Assassins, #5)
  • Snuff the Magic Dragon (Greatest Hits, #6)
  • My Heroes Have Always Been Hitmen (Greatest Hits, #7)