iBrain: Surviving the Technological Alteration of the Modern Mind

iBrain: Surviving the Technological Alteration of the Modern Mind

3.02 of 5 stars 3.02  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Their insights are extraordinary, their behaviors unusual. Their brains—shaped by the era of microprocessors, access to limitless information, and 24-hour news and communication—are remapping, retooling, and evolving. They're not superhuman. They're your twenty-something coworkers, your children, and your competition. Are you keeping up?

In iBrain, Dr. Gary Small, one of Am...more
Published October 14th 2008 by William Morrow (first published October 1st 2008)

Christine Cavalier
Don't bother with this book unless:
1. you are a Baby Boomer who is feeling overwhelmed with the web, and would like to commiserate with one of your own.
2. If you are internet addicted and in turn socially inept (there are a few pages of self-help advice).

Interspersed in all of this split personality pages are a few references to fMRI studies of which areas of the brain light up when we are completing internet tasks. You won't be able to pinpoint the studies, though, because the author doesn't...more
Weavre
It does have some interesting insights in the first few chapters. The author, Gary Small, was clearly introduced to computers as an adult, and speaks about their usage with the accent of an immigrant to the digital world (to borrow one of his own descriptions). Often, his description of some aspect of online culture seems just a bit "off"--he's writing about something he's observed and studied, not something in which he's a full and comfortable participant. That occasional bit of jarring drawbac...more
Trish
Sep 23, 2009 Trish rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents
Gary Small writes for the Wall Street Journal and Scientific American...among others...powerful teaching illustration for us all on pg. 94
Celeste
I thought this was a unique look at how the human brain processes things differently - even using different areas of the brain - as a result of technology in our lives. Most of it is really interesting in a discovery-channel kind of way, but the last two chapters are so elementary that they come across as a bit condescending. (Then again the last two chapters are designed to help digital addicts and digital retards, so if you are neither of those things you can skip them.) And unfortunately the...more
Biogeek
Another recent Kinokuniya find! Should be great to stimulate debate. The book has has two extremes ...the extremely interesting parts like the introduction of the newly-coined phrase continuous partial attention and how the middle-aged brain approaches problem solving compared to the teenager. Some good fMRI studies cited as well. But then there are the extremely bad parts ...long passages of generalizations about digital natives (does anyone else hate that term as much as I do?) and digital imm...more
Marissa Morrison
This would be a useful book for seniors who are just learning how to use the internet--people the author refers to as "digital immigrants." This book contains lots of basic practical info about how to format email, use search engines effectively, etc.

The author seems to approach his topic from an "us versus them" standpoint, contrasting digital immigrants like himself with the younger crowd ("digital natives"). He suggests that people who make use of the internet are more likely to be socially...more
Dolly
Apr 03, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: technology fans
Shelves: nonfiction, science, 2009
This is an interesting book that discusses technology's impact on our brain. I liked the discussions of the pros and cons of technology's impact on our brain and behavior, and I really liked the areas where he discusses the rapid evolutionary changes that are taking place because of the exponentially faster and better technological improvements.

I didn't like the psychobabble that seemed to dominate the second half of the book. I understand that part of the book's purpose was to propose a set of...more
Eric
The concept of this book is good, I was looking forward to reading a book discussing the development of the human brain when exposed to modern devices and stimuli. It started strong, but soon became repetitive and toward the end became pretty much a manual for the "digital immigrants" to gain a general understanding of what the "digital natives" do daily. Beyond the early parts of the book, the brain development aspects were all but thrown aside. I would recommend the first few chapters to many...more
Courtney
If this book were a brief article, with proper citations, I could have found it more useful. It was not at all what I was expecting, which was less whining about how "digital natives" (I am really coming to hate that term) think differently than older generations, and more on the science.

I only read to the end of the fourth chapter. After so many references to the quiz to see if you are, in fact, addicted to the internet, and seeing a plethora of non-captioned drawings that vaguely illustrate th...more
Kelly
Unfortunately, this book was not what I thought it was going to be about--I think it's geared towards the older generation, which is fine, just not for me. I am not sure they had a very good editing team (page 119 drops off in the middle of a sentence) and the most recent research the authors use is from 2008. It was fun doing the inventory questions with Jacob and seeing how we stacked against each other and some of the scientific brain information was cool, but other than that, a waste of 10 b...more
Elaine
The first part of this one, which described the neurological ramifications of early and prolonged exposure to technology and the lifestyle it encourages, was interesting and excellent. I was disappointed, then, to feel the book fragmenting as it moved forward until, by the end, it was slapdash and unpolished. Chapters on handling your email and coding your text messages seemed to me grossly out of place in a book that started out with serious scientific and cultural pretentions.
Kirstie
I wasn't very impressed, and I fully disagree with many of the author's claims. One of the main points that the author makes over and over again is that technology is hampering people's social skills, especially those of younger generations. I think this is a bias of perception. Younger people may have different social conventions or skills that older people don't recognize or prefer, but that doesn't mean they are less socially mature.
Geroge Cohta
Dr. Gary Small and Gigi Vorgan's iBrain is a fascinating book that details how technology is changing our brains. Their main thesis is that our brains and the brains of our children are much more plastic and changeable than we have been led to believe. They differentiate between digital immigrants: people who had to learn technology such as computers and cell phones as adults, and digital natives: people who have known technology since birth.
Carlos
A readable book on how technology being so entrenched in our current way of life is actively affecting our brains and therefore our generations in terms of social skills and human interaction. At first, I thought this book's prose was cheesy and not well written but I later realized this made it much more accessible to people. The bibliography is filled with great studies that support the seemingly general statements made in the book.
Stefanie
This book just didn't know what it wanted to be. It couldn't make up its mind whether it was a review of literature and case studies about how technology affects our brains or a self-help book for tech challenged Baby Boomers. In the end it got rather repetitive and then just plain boring.
Kelly Hayes
It sounded interesting and relevant, but I was prevented from reading beyond the first chapter by the horrendous way in which it was written. Every sentence seemed to be a factoid only vaguely connected to the others around it. It was the most poorly written non-fiction book I have ever read.
Joe Haynes
This was an okay book. I was hoping for a bit more about techniques to use to help my brain deal with the huge level of static generate by today's electronic devices. What I found instead was quite a bit of material covering the symptoms of brain overload and little practical material.
Josh Chalmers
Although it has bright moments (e.g., the study the author facilitated where they used FMRI's to test whether or not people's brains are affected by 5 hours on Google), I certainly would not recommend this book to anyone who already knows a thing or two about technology.
Rae
Similar to The Shallows, this book discusses the potential problems that arise because of our fast-paced, information-filled, and technological environment. Unlike The Shallows, however, this author actually proposes some solutions and helpful practices.
Nicole
I couldn't even finish this book. It seemed both redundant and scatterbrained at the same time. Although I found the idea for the book interesting, I though the execution, organization, and writing in this book horrible.
Klaas
OK for all the information that the author managed to get into the book, however bad job on the referencing to academic articles, and too much brain surgery terminology in the book.
Preston
Takes a look at the impact of technology on our neural pathways and what this means in terms of interpersonal relations. Thought-provoking, at a minimum. Also very scary!
Michael Nady
very interesting book
it describes 2 generations, one as being "Digital Natives" and the other being "Digitial Immigrants".
I'm sure you can guess which is which ;)
A
Insight on effects of technology on modern brain and social living...final section more appropriate for those new to modern technology.
Jesse Hattabaugh
Feb 16, 2012 Jesse Hattabaugh marked it as to-read
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Kind of repetitive and shallow, but there are a few insights in here about how an over-teched brain like my own behaves.
2mpgal
I read portions of this book when writing my Master's thesis.
Thought provoking and controversial at the same time!

Rose Symotiuk
Definitely worth a read. The outcome is that we still don't know the longterm effects of technology on the brain.
Kirstin Steele
well-written but I was hoping for more info/predictions on how brain evolution will play itself out.
Elroy Jetson
Good overview book on cognition and brain structure. But a rather thin superficial discussion overall.
David
Uno de los peores libros sobre tecnología que haya leído. Casi todo es basura para vender miedo.
  • 21st Century Skills: Learning for Life in Our Times
  • Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization
  • The New Global Student: Skip the SAT, Save Thousands on Tuition, and Get a Truly International Education
  • The Wikipedia Revolution: How a Bunch of Nobodies Created the World's Greatest Encyclopedia
  • Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar: How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success
  • Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms
  • Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation Is Changing Your World
  • Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love
  • The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future (Or, Don't Trust Anyone Under 30)
  • Born Digital: Understanding the First Generation of Digital Natives
  • Wrong: Why Experts Keep Failing Us and How to Know When Not to Trust Them
  • iDisorder: Understanding Our Obsession with Technology and Overcoming Its Hold on Us
  • The Overflowing Brain: Information Overload and the Limits of Working Memory
  • The Tyranny of Dead Ideas: Letting Go of the Old Ways of Thinking to Unleash a New Prosperity
  • The Disciplined Mind: Beyond Facts and Standardized Tests, the  K-12 Education That Every Child Deserves
  • Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns
  • Dumbing Down Our Kids: Why American Children Feel Good about Themselves But Can't Read, Write, or Add
  • The Global Achievement Gap: Why Our Kids Don't Have the Skills They Need for College, Careers, and Citizenship—and What We Can Do About It
The Naked Lady Who Stood on Her Head: A Psychiatrist's Stories of His Most Bizarre Cases The Other Side of the Couch: A Psychiatrist Solves His Most Unusual Cases The Memory Bible: An Innovative Strategy for Keeping Your Brain Young The Alzheimer's Prevention Program: Keep Your Brain Healthy for the Rest of Your Life Improve Your Memory Now: Maximize Your Brain Power