Leo the Lop (Serendipity Books)

Leo the Lop (Serendipity)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,167 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Child's story about a bunny who is different because he has floppy ears
Published February 27th 1978 by Price Stern Sloan (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Leo the Lop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leo the Lop

Natalie Gareau
Leo, the bunny with drooping ears, decides that his ears should point up instead of down. Through his efforts, and the hijinx of the group, he discovers that normal is whatever you are.

The illustrator of Leo the Lop is Robin James. The cover art for the book shows a soft brown bunny closing his eyes to enjoy the smell of a flower. This shows Leo as a kind and thoughtful creature.

The illustrations are in the cartoon style. When each image is looked at, the reader will pay more attention to the ch...more
Angela Oliver
The last of my Serendiptiy hardbacks, Leo the Lop is as old as me. Robin James' charming art lends itself especially well to the smooth and soft shapes of bunny rabbits, and the story is a simple delight. In more earthy colours, the tale is told of Leo, one of a very large bunny litter whose ears go down, instead of up. He feels perfectly happy and normal - until the other bunnies begin to notice and start to laugh at him. This leads him into a period of insecurity, and feeling that he not norma...more
Angie

Synopsis: "Leo the rabbit whose ears are different from all the other rabbits learns that "normal is whatever you are."

My Review: While Leo the Lop wasn't always my favorite I still enjoyed it when I was a kid and still do! Such a cute little bunny! The illustrations are amazing in this and all the serendipity books, Robin James is fantastic! Leo didn't know any thing was wrong with his ears until the other bunnies finally told him that his floppy ears was what they were laughing at, if only we...more
Julia Brumfield
A wonderful start to a collection of stories with Leo the Lop as the main character. Children will fall in love with this cute bunny who seems to have so many problems with wanting to fit the crowd or to be someone else while in this first adventure of his he and his fellow bunnies finds the pretty wise lesson of "what is normal?".

The collection of cute bunnies along with slightly poetic and simple writing will fascinate kids to the magic of the bunny known as Leo.
Dee
Sep 09, 2014 Dee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any child.
Recommended to Dee by: School librarian.
A great story about being different, and how differences make us special, even if others don't understand. These books have such great messages for kids.
Toyah
This was mentioned to me by my partner and I loved it. A cute story about being different, being "normal" and celebrating uniqueness. Great illustrations too!
Erika Gregory
Leo the Lop is a very heartwarming story. Leo wants nothing more than to be just like all the other rabbits and have his ears point up. However, they dont they fall down and wont stay up by themselves. Leo is sad that the doesnt look the same as all his other friends. This story would show children that while you may look different than others you are still beautiful and desserve to be treated the same. Leo's friends still love him and that is all that is importnat, not the way he looks. This st...more
Nisah Haron
A wonderful book!
Moral of the story, it's okay to be different.
"KayFey"
I learned what a Lop rabbit was before the rest of my class. Wonderful, inspiring illustrations and well-written stories. I tried to collect them. They used to be available in a store in the Skylake Mall during the mid-1980s. My 5th-grade classroom also had them in our class library. Wonderful memories.
Lynnea
I found this book in my classroom and read it to my class today, since it's about a bunny and Easter is coming up. It was a very good lesson in how people (okay, I guess rabbits) are different and "normal is whatever you are." I just really liked this book! :)
Seth Lebaron
This story allows readers to see how it feels to be made fun of for peoples differences. I would use this book to open up a dicussion on bullying or just to talk to students about how it is ok to be different because none of us are the same.
laura
The Leo the Lop series and the other Serendipity books are so beautifully illustrated and have such cute little "lessons" that they may well have inspired my life-long love of reading. Those, and the little golden books, of course. ;)
LeeAnn G
This is one of the first books my mom ever got me. I stil have it and the book satchel it came with. Then when I came into adulthood I started collecting them. I truly love this series of Serendipity.
Alita
Did you love the Serendipity books when you were a kid? If not, you missed some truly lovely little books. Go now -- git! -- to the bookstore and show that special kid in your life some Stephen Cosgrove magic.
Ashley
Check out my blog, Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing for my thoughts and memories of the Serendipity series!
Nicole
I Think That It Was An Awesome Book!!!
I Hope You Guys Also Like It!!

Sincerely!!!
Shelby Eubanks
This book is great for children. I have never read anything by Stephen Cosgrove that wasn't entertaining for children while also presenting them with valuable lessons.
Shunta
Its a really cute story that can help students understand that everyone is different and there reallly is not a such thing as "normal" so be who you are.
Esmoi
Corny story about loving yourself instead of conforming. The saucer-eyed, eighties-style rabbits are so darned cute, all corniness is forgiven.
Nicole
Children's story, discusses differences and that "being normal" is just being yourself and not trying to be like everyone else.
Jill
i can't even describe how much i love this book or how many times, as a child, i poured over the illustrations.
Beth
The kids chose 5 stars because they learned that no matter what you look like they're all still normal!
Willow
Jul 18, 2008 Willow rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little kids
I read this book a lot when I was really little. It was one of my favorite books when I was little.
Jt
I've been collecting Cosgrove's "Serendipity" books forever. I have a full shelf at this point.
Taphi
Not this version - NOT the reissue, but the original wasn't available.
Richard
The best book from my childhood. Captain Diversity strikes again.
Theresa
early reading source for children, to learn about love
Shahna
Right in the childhood.
I loved this little bunny.
Shani
i love all the serendipity books, they're awesome!!
  • Grover and the Everything in the Whole Wide World Museum
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree
  • Mr. Funny
  • The Whingdingdilly
  • The Flea's Sneeze
  • Mister Dog:  The Dog Who Belonged to Himself (Little Golden Book)
  • Good Work, Amelia Bedelia
  • Spring Story
  • The Market Square Dog
  • With You All the Way
Serendipity Flutterby Morgan and Me (Serendipity) Bangalee Misty Morgan

“The rabbits though and thought. "If we're normal and Leo is normal, then normal is whatever you are!” 11 likes