Start by marking “The Stopping Place” as Want to Read:
The Stopping Place

The Stopping Place

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  10 reviews
"Martha has responsibility for the book club and the author visits, and dresses like a gypsy. That's not a criticism, by the way. She puts tones and shades together that make you feel you've been seeing the world in black and white all your life. In winter she's velvet and raw silk and wool. Have you ever seen raw silk? Just the sight of her coming through the door each da...more
Paperback
Published 2008 by Pocket

To ask other readers questions about The Stopping Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stopping Place

Ruth
Yvonne Boag
The Stopping Place by Helen Slavin was a surprise from what I expected. Well written and compelling it tells the story of Ruby who works in a library. All we know about Ruby is that she takes foreign language lessons and tries to be invisible. She eavesdrops on her fellow workers and follows them around. We know something happened in the past to Ruby but we are only given the occasional hint. Then Ruby starts working in the archives and discovers a hidden story, this coincides with her actually...more
Judy
I really enjoyed this book. It started out to be a pleasant book about the lives of the people working in a small library, and our heroine in particular. But, there was a much darker story hidden within, one which at times terrified me and made me think, well, some people are living this life. This is a book which stays with you long after you've read it.
Teena
This was an unusual book superficially about a woman who works in a library and behaves in a strange manner. It was a bit like the Librarians TV show in its extreme quirkiness.
But midway it changed entirely and became a thriller. I enjoyed it and certainly was keen to keep reading through to the end.
Miffy
This was a bit of a 'meh' book. Not particularly memorable, not particularly interesting, just good at plugging the gap between two pageturners. The front cover asks 'how far would you go to cover your past?' yet, in my opinion, Ruby didn't go particularly far... it wasn't great...
Kate Rakena
Helen Slavin might be one of my favourite authors ever I think. This book t like the others of hers I have read was dark but so engrossing that it kept my attention right to the end. I can't recommend her highly enough. Great storyteller.
Claire Baggott
Reading this for my reading group, enjoyed it and it was a very easy read . However first half was very slow, second much better. Didn't expect the story to be what it was, thought it was going to be a murder story .
Linda
There were glimmers of brillance in the story within-the-story, but overall it didn't flow as well as it could have.
Ruby and the library staff spent too much time crying and weird.
Jane Slavin
This is my sister's book - one of her best, I think. I also loved Cross My Heart, but this one, particularly, moved me.
Saturday's Child
I had high expectations for this novel following a review I read of it but it really fell short of them.
April Holden
April Holden marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Rachie
Rachie added it
Aug 09, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Lynda Muller
Lynda Muller marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Sharon Jellis
Sharon Jellis marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Rebecca Bock
Rebecca Bock marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Mikayla
Mikayla marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2013
Carmen
Carmen added it
Sep 13, 2013
Hazel williams
Hazel williams marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Extra Large Medium Cross My Heart Little Lies To the Lake After the Andertons