Start by marking “The Stopping Place” as Want to Read:
The Stopping Place

The Stopping Place

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  14 reviews
"Martha has responsibility for the book club and the author visits, and dresses like a gypsy. That's not a criticism, by the way. She puts tones and shades together that make you feel you've been seeing the world in black and white all your life. In winter she's velvet and raw silk and wool. Have you ever seen raw silk? Just the sight of her coming through the door each da ...more
Paperback
Published 2008 by Pocket

To ask other readers questions about The Stopping Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stopping Place

Alistair
Ruby is the quiet mouse who works in the local library, usually stacking the shelves. She's unobtrusive and thinks that if she stays under the radar no-one will notice she's there at all. Living alone, she has no outside interests apart from her intermediate Japanese class where she sits at the back hoping the tutor won't question her (she hasn't taken the beginner's class). However there are hints that Ruby is not what she appears to be, and in the second half of the novel the real Ruby is reve ...more
Sharon
I didn't like this book in the beginning but persevered and it redeemed itself slightly. Getting dropped into Ruby's strange,mediocre life that hints at the sinister,then halfway through the book reverting to her earlier,ugly life,then back to the present seemed to leave a thread or two untied at the end.
Ruth
Yvonne Boag
The Stopping Place by Helen Slavin was a surprise from what I expected. Well written and compelling it tells the story of Ruby who works in a library. All we know about Ruby is that she takes foreign language lessons and tries to be invisible. She eavesdrops on her fellow workers and follows them around. We know something happened in the past to Ruby but we are only given the occasional hint. Then Ruby starts working in the archives and discovers a hidden story, this coincides with her actually ...more
Mike Taverner
The plot was interesting but in many places it was long and protracted. There were moments where I said out loud 'please move on!'
Sameer Raza Mohammad
Starting with a tender opinion about the protagonist, it takes you all the way to a different perception.
Judy
I really enjoyed this book. It started out to be a pleasant book about the lives of the people working in a small library, and our heroine in particular. But, there was a much darker story hidden within, one which at times terrified me and made me think, well, some people are living this life. This is a book which stays with you long after you've read it.
Teena
This was an unusual book superficially about a woman who works in a library and behaves in a strange manner. It was a bit like the Librarians TV show in its extreme quirkiness.
But midway it changed entirely and became a thriller. I enjoyed it and certainly was keen to keep reading through to the end.
Miffy
This was a bit of a 'meh' book. Not particularly memorable, not particularly interesting, just good at plugging the gap between two pageturners. The front cover asks 'how far would you go to cover your past?' yet, in my opinion, Ruby didn't go particularly far... it wasn't great...
Prestoni
Helen Slavin might be one of my favourite authors ever I think. This book t like the others of hers I have read was dark but so engrossing that it kept my attention right to the end. I can't recommend her highly enough. Great storyteller.
Claire Baggott
Reading this for my reading group, enjoyed it and it was a very easy read . However first half was very slow, second much better. Didn't expect the story to be what it was, thought it was going to be a murder story .
Linda
There were glimmers of brillance in the story within-the-story, but overall it didn't flow as well as it could have.
Ruby and the library staff spent too much time crying and weird.
Jane Slavin
This is my sister's book - one of her best, I think. I also loved Cross My Heart, but this one, particularly, moved me.
Saturday's Child
I had high expectations for this novel following a review I read of it but it really fell short of them.
Heidi
Heidi added it
Jun 13, 2015
Rachie
Rachie added it
Aug 09, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Extra Large Medium Cross My Heart Little Lies To the Lake After the Andertons