Start by marking “Who Was Ferdinand Magellan?” as Want to Read:
Who Was Ferdinand Magellan?

Who Was Ferdinand Magellan? (Who Was/Is...?)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  11 reviews
When Portuguese sailor Ferdinand Magellan set sail from Spain in 1519, he believed he could get to the Spice Islands by sailing west through or around the New World. He was right, but what he didn't know was that the treacherous voyage would take him three years and cost him his life. Black-and-white line drawings illustrate Magellan's life and voyage, with sidebars and a ...more
Published August 3rd 2004 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published August 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Who Was Ferdinand Magellan?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Was Ferdinand Magellan?

I love buying biographies from a series. So far I have a passel of books from the Childhood of Famous Americans biography series, and I also have a few from The Story of Biography Series. But I really like the format of the Who Was? series. More about that after the mini bio. :)

His Life.

Nobody is quite sure when Ferdinand Magellan was born. It seems likely that it was somewhere around 1480. The country of his birth – Portugal – and his position in life – that of impoverished nobility – are more
Verkiezen
Who was Ferdinand Magellan by Sydelle Kramer is an excellent middle grade biography. It follows Ferdinand Magellan's life from birth to death, although it primarily focuses on his desire to travel the world and his eventual voyage.

I've been having lots of kids asking about this series recently which is why I picked this one up. I can definitely see the appeal! It's got a lot of facts (although I'll admit to being a little leary about trusting the facts too much) and gorgeous art work. I'd say o
Daiki Yamaguchi
Grosset&Dunlap Penguin Group

Date&time: 10/5(Sat.)=81min.

7-word summary
1.Europe 2.India 3.Voyage 4.Stormy 5.Brazil 6.Island 7.Battle

Discussion Question
Q: He made a long voyage and found some continents while he was disliked by many people and was wounded. If you had been him, could you have done like him?

A: To do such a hard voyage, I have to be very tough. I could not have done like him.

When I learned about Magellan in World history class, I thought he was so stupid that he did not liste
Nathaniel Mckenzie
It was good. He sailed around the world. It took a lot of persuading to get the ships and people.
Ryo Suzuki
Publish: Grosset&Dunlap
Time: 12/08=60 12/09=30
7-word summary: Portugal-poor-hero-sail-courage-circumnavigate-globe
Discussion Questions:
1. Are you full of adventure?
Well, I guess I am full of adventure,because I like trying new things.
2. Do you wanna make a voyage around the world?
Positively! However, if I had a chance to do that, I should save up for a voyage...
Mrs. Trimble
This was actually a pretty interesting book. I read it aloud to my kids and they seemed to really be interested in it as well. These biographies are packed full of information but in a way that's easy to understand. It was a great mini-history lesson.
Maricarmen Estrada M
I enjoyed greatly this book. It's not only the story of Magellan's life but a picture of that time. I learned many things and actually am encouraged to investigate more about the places he visited and his amazing journey around the world.
Nevada Libert
this is such a good book about maggellan. great history, easy 10 chapter book.
Eoin
This man had quite an interesting life.I love these short,little biographies.
Charlotte
I've never known so much about Ferdinand Magellan!
beth j. morell
beth j. morell marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Cydnee Davis
Cydnee Davis marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Will Silas
Will Silas marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Tera Williams
Tera Williams marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Jun.buenconsejo
Jun.buenconsejo marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sydelle Kramer is the author of many nonfiction graded readers. He lives in Brooklyn, New York.
More about Sydelle Kramer...
Who Was Daniel Boone? To the Top!: Climbing the World's Highest Mountain Wagon Train Baseball's Greatest Hitters Basketball's Greatest Players