Start by marking “Matt & Ben” as Want to Read:
Matt & Ben

Matt & Ben

It's the story Hollywood has glamorized, publicized, and bombarded us with--how it all began for the two young men, now famous for their on-again-off-again romances and their big-budget smashes and flops.It Started with a script for Good Will Hunting , slaved over by the bright young dreamers (portrayed in this play's premiere by the female playwrights) in their run-down a ...more
Published October 5th 2004 by The Overlook Press

To ask other readers questions about Matt & Ben, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matt & Ben

emma
"Matt: This is an excellent script. This is the best script I've ever read. If Ben put this here as a joke, if Ben wrote this, then I have severely underestimated his talents.
Ben: Hey, hey check this out! (Ben chugs an entire bottle of Veryfine apple juice.) One motherf*cking sip!
Matt: Okay, Ben did not write this."

It's kind of bonkers that Good Will Hunting, an incredibly touching and brilliantly done film, was written by the original f*ckboys: Matt Damon and Ben Affleck.

Mindy Kaling (!) and Br
Eating Between
May 15, 2015 Eating Between rated it it was amazing
I sometimes think about the Me and Mindy finally meet and i know we will be fast friends. She is witty and funny and an amazing writer/actress/producer. She has yet again succeeded in making my laugh and sigh saying "oh Mindy" This is so cleverly written and i loved it so!
Dane Holloway
Oct 22, 2015 Dane Holloway rated it it was amazing
Read this out loud with my girlfriend and it was a lot of fun. She loves Mindy Kaling and was excited when I picked this up for her birthday. I would definitely suggest this for a quick read and a good laugh.
Kat High
Apr 30, 2016 Kat High rated it really liked it
Shelves: play
Funny and thoroughly enjoyable. I'd love to see it on stage sometime.
Alexander Davidson
I read this because Mindy Kaling is a co-author, and I thought it would be funnier than it was. Maybe it's better to be seen with Kaling and Withers playing Affleck and Damon, but the play read as more serious than funny to me. There is a lot here about friendship and sticking together and choices/consequences as seen through the eyes of soon to be Hollywood stars. I think it'd be funnier to watch a girl fight between Matt & Ben instead of read about it.
Mary
Feb 04, 2017 Mary rated it really liked it
This is a kooky, funny little play co-written by Mindy Kaling about how Matt Damon and Ben Affleck stumbled upon their hit screenplay Good Will Hunting. It's a quick funny read that's worth checking out. I wish I had been able to see this play with Mindy Kaling playing Ben...or even if Matt and Ben played themselves.
Jack Cheng
This was an amusing play. Although extremely clever and insightful into character and the way we read into celebrity character, it's also clearly the work of young writers, still playing with form. There is a postmodern introduction where we meet the characters and they start narrating the story as if it's a film script. Once the characters start interacting, though, there's plenty of fun and funny dialogue.
Ziying
Apr 18, 2014 Ziying rated it really liked it
Adelaide
Jun 15, 2011 Adelaide rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-summer
This play might have seemed more clever if I knew a bit more about Matt Damon and Ben Affleck or just about Hollywood culture in general. I liked the concept of a script really falling from the ceiling, though. It led to some interesting dilemmas.
Carolina
Aug 15, 2014 Carolina rated it really liked it
This was a fun play to read because I kept switching back and forth between imagining it being acted out by the real Matt & Ben and Kaling and Withers. I read it because I love Mindy Kaling and the play did not disappoint.
Shayna Ross
Jul 01, 2016 Shayna Ross rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It's clear to see how and why Mindy Kaling got noticed from this play. It's very quirky and humorous, in which you get a sense of from her memoirs as well. I was entertained by the thought that Matt Damon and Ben Affleck have a silly friendship like this.
Amy
Mar 10, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: play, comedy, acting
I've been wanting to read this for a while, even before I knew Mindy Kaling had written it. And it lived up to my expectations! I would love to be in a production of this play.

Also, there's something really cool about reading about parodies of famous people....I'd recommend this play.
Cecilia Perez
Dec 01, 2014 Cecilia Perez rated it really liked it
Great script. Quick read. Love the pace and humor. Mindy and her partner are funny and thoughtful.
SA
Dec 01, 2013 SA rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, plays
Definitely a fringe piece! I think I would have like this more when Matt and Ben (the people) were more relevant, but I got a cackle or two and that's about it. I'm sure it's funnier in performance.
Anna-lena Schmitz
Apr 12, 2011 Anna-lena Schmitz rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Would love to see this performed by Matt and Ben. One can totally believe that this is how they talk and behave..really funny.
Jamie
Jan 05, 2015 Jamie rated it it was amazing
It's really hard to sit in a restaurant and read this without busting up laughing. I really wish I'd seen this now. Also kind of want to watch Good Will Hunting again too. Sort of.
Halley Sutton
Oct 10, 2014 Halley Sutton rated it it was amazing
Did this deserve 5 stars? Probably not, it's skating on sentimental value but I did enjoy it. Quick read.
William
Dec 16, 2011 William rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly funny adaptation of Matt and Ben's relationship. I think Matt's role was made for me to play...looking for a Ben!
Stormye Hendrix
Feb 11, 2014 Stormye Hendrix rated it liked it
It was fun satire but this is one of those plays that was harder to read and appreciate. Probably ten times funnier with Kaling and Withers and Matt and Ben. Still, I chuckled a bit.
Valerie (Reader of books. Enthralled by Words.)
I watched Good Will Hunting for the first time today and I finally understood this play! I loved this play! Great. Quick read but really funny.
Amanda
Sep 11, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Good Will Hunting is one of my favorite movies and I found the idea of this absolutely hilarious. And there are some really funny parts, especially the constant digs at Casey Affleck. It does get more serious than I would have expected at points. But I definitely recommend it.
David
Mar 31, 2008 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plays
Hilarious play. Actually made me laugh out loud.
allie
Dec 27, 2011 allie rated it really liked it
funny!
Glynnis
Mar 11, 2012 Glynnis rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
Wanted to get some inspiration for writing. Funny examination of friendship.
Kate
Sep 05, 2011 Kate rated it liked it
I think I'd like this better seeing it than I did reading it.
Lexi
Nov 12, 2012 Lexi rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Very clever.
Keri
Dec 17, 2012 Keri rated it liked it
Clever and funny...would have loved to see it performed by the authors.
Ida
Rocket.
Science.
Madeleine
Nov 09, 2014 Madeleine rated it really liked it
Interesting play! I can see why this gave Mindy Kaling her big break, very creative!
Goodreads Librari...: "Mat & Ben" needs to change 3 17 Jun 22, 2015 05:25PM
  • Only Opal
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
  • The Way You Wear Your Hat: Frank Sinatra and the Lost Art of Livin'
  • Watching Baseball, updated & revised: Discovering the Game within the Game
  • Sinatra: The Life
  • Diamond in the Rough: A Memoir
  • Sugarhouse: Turning the Neighborhood Crack House into Our Home Sweet Home
  • Eleanor Roosevelt: A Life of Discovery
  • Rat Pack Confidential: Frank, Dean, Sammy, Peter, Joey and the Last Great Show Biz Party
  • Have Glove, Will Travel: Adventures of a Baseball Vagabond
  • The Muses Are Heard
  • These Days
194416
Mindy Kaling is an actor, writer, producer, and director. She currently stars in the Hulu original comedy series “The Mindy Project," which she also writes and executive produces.

Before "The Mindy Project," Mindy was best known for her work on the critically acclaimed, Emmy Award-winning NBC show “The Office.” In addition to directing, producing, and portraying celebrity-obsessed Kelly Kapoor, M
More about Mindy Kaling...