Start by marking “The Beekeeper's Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Beekeeper's Handbook
Diana Sammataro

The Beekeeper's Handbook

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  8 reviews

From the foreword "Beginners will find The Beekeeper's Handbook a joy, and more seasoned beekeepers will find rereading of benefit as they continue to master the art and science of bee colony care." Dewey M. Caron Praise for the third edition "The Beekeeper's Handbook has guided thousands of beginning and advanced beekeepers in the how-tos of this entertaining and profita

Published October 30th 1986 by Collier Books (first published August 28th 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Beekeeper's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beekeeper's Handbook

This was a great basic book on how-to. Covers almost all the important questions and problems that come up during the different seasons while beekeeping.

I think I will purchase this book to add to my library for quick reference.
Good details, Seems like it covers all the topics. I read the first 9 chapters, had to set it aside at the chapter on re-queening hives. Winter reading.
Kerry Clair
Definitely one of the better bee books I've read. I found it to be very thorough and definitive without delving into the bee debates. It was clear cut and provided answers that were well researched and documented.
Holy Propolis, Batman, this book is awesome!

If I were to choose one book for all my beekeeping, this would be #1. If I were to recommend one book for the beginner, a book that will last a lifetime of beekeeping, this book would be #1.

Well written, clear, concise. None better as far as I'm concerned.
Everything you ever wanted to know (and then some) about beekeeping.

The only downside is that the book is printed in landscape orientation, which makes it less practical as a "hand" book. Definitely takes two hands to hold this sucker. :)
This was a very interesting book! I learned more reading this one than I had the previous two books on beekeeping.
Fantastic how-to book, updated in 2011 with the latest beekeeping info. It is more than a "for dummies" type of book, but not a so-called "bible." Excellent book for beginners and experienced beekeepers.
good bee book, simple to understand for beginners.
Patrick Aland
Patrick Aland is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Lieblingsbuch marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Sandy Rosencrans
Sandy Rosencrans marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Marc is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2015
Jen Bee
Jen Bee marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Anne marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Samantha Yo
Samantha Yo marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Holly Staples
Holly Staples marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Alicia added it
Jun 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Backyard Beekeeper: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden
  • Beekeeping for Dummies
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
  • The Beekeeper's Bible: Bees, Honey, Recipes & Other Home Uses
  • Bees in America: How the Honey Bee Shaped a Nation
  • A Book of Bees: And How to Keep Them
  • The Hive: The Story of the Honeybee and Us
  • Sweetness and Light: The Mysterious History of the Honeybee
  • Keeping Bees with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Tend Hives, Harvest Honey & More
  • Robbing the Bees: A Biography of Honey--The Sweet Liquid Gold that Seduced the World
  • Aquaponic Gardening: A Step-By-Step Guide to Raising Vegetables and Fish Together
  • Letters from the Hive: An Intimate History of Bees, Honey, and Humankind
  • Backyard Homesteading: A Back-to-Basics Guide to Self-Sufficiency
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Water Storage: Tanks, Cisterns, Aquifers, and Ponds for Domestic Supply, Fire and Emergency Use--Includes How to Make Ferrocement Water Tanks
  • Plan Bee: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Hardest-Working Creatures on the Planet
  • The Self-Sufficient Gardener
  • The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers
Honey Bee Colony Health: Challenges and Sustainable Solutions Taylor Made: The Best Of Bee Talk