Start by marking “Nature Of The Beast (MacNachton Vampires, #5)” as Want to Read:
Nature Of The Beast (MacNachton Vampires, #5)

Nature Of The Beast (MacNachton Vampires #5)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  619 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
In this captivating new collection from Hannah Howell, Adrienne Basso, and Eve Silver, three women meet the irresistible vampires who are their destiny--and discover a passion satisfied only by complete surrender. . . "Dark Hero" by Hannah Howell

Unlike most of his clan, Berawald MacNachton chooses to live in comfortable seclusion, far from the enemies who hunt his kind--un
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published September 1st 2008 by Kensington Publishing Corp

To ask other readers questions about Nature Of The Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nature Of The Beast

Ronyell
Overall Rating: 3.7 stars

Dark Hero by Hannah Howell – 4 stars

Berawald MacNachton is apart of the mysterious and powerful MacNachton clan and seems to possess mysterious powers. But, when a beautiful woman named Evanna Massey comes to his cave along with her younger brother David, Berawald starts to realize that Evanna is no normal Outsider and he starts developing feelings for her!

I really enjoyed this story as the characters were great and the romance between Evanna and Berawald was hot and s
Julie (jjmachshev)
Aug 21, 2008 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-reads
I so love anthologies. "Nature of the Beast" by Hannah Howell, Adrienne Basso, and Eve Silver is an anthology that historical vampire lovers will definitely want to acquire!

"Dark Hero" by Hannah Howell. Howell continues her stories of the MacNachton clan with Berawald's tale. He's quiet and tormented by the ghosts who constantly whisper to him until he saves a young woman and her brother and discovers what true happiness is. I love the way Hannah Howell writes and her continuing stories of the
Tracy T
Apr 13, 2015 Tracy T rated it did not like it
These three anthologies were pretty boring! So glad I am done and surprised myself by even finishing this book.

The 1st book-Dark Hero by Hannah Howell- it was the best of the three.
The 2nd book- Bride of the Beast by Adrienne Basso, it was second best of the three
The 3rd book- Kiss of the Vampire by Eve Silver, it was the worst of the three, and very difficult to finish.
All of them were about 110 pages each give or take.

They all had sex, and quite a bit of dialogue, but the stories were just b
Laura the Highland Hussy
"Dark Hero" by Hannah Howell- 3.5 stars Another one of her MacNaughton Vampire/Highlander series.

"Bride of the Beast" by Adrienne Basso- 3 stars

"Kiss of the Vampire" by Eve Silver- I haven't read this one, and I probably will later on, but right now I'm not interested
Carolyn F.
Anthology. 3.3 stars (math). This was an okay anthology. I liked Hannah Howell's story the most.

1. Dark Hero by Hannah Howell. I loved that this hero is a little insecure and with not much experience. Berawald sees ghosts and thinks that a little boy is a ghost at first. He finds out that the boy and his sister are actually running from killers. He also find they have a lot in common. I really like Hannah Howell's books - haven't really found one I didn't like. ****

2. Bride of the Beast by Adri
Ladiibbug
Jun 07, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: PNR Fans
Paranormal Anthol.

Dark Hero - Hannah Howell - 4 stars

Scotland, Summer 1512: Berawald MacNachton rescues a young boy and his beautiful sister. All are not quite human, and must stand against those who hunt them. I've read a few HH stories in anthols, and have enjoyed all of them.

Bride of the Beast - Adrienne Basso - 4 stars

Wales, Spring 1220: Haydn of Gwynedd first meets Bethan when she fearlessly frees him from her evil stepfather's prison. Years pass ... they must marry in order to defeat her v
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
I love the Hannah Howell MacNauton vampires. I am still sad that they only come out in anthology books, but I'm not sure I could read a whole novel with the "weel"s & "e'er"s etc. BUT this one was cute!

I am surprised that I enjoyed the other 2 stories. The Adrienne Basso was good & I'm glad I discovered her. That's the best part of the anthology books! You find new authors.

Eve Silvers was pretty good. Much better thsn her other books. I still enjoyed it.

I've not read very many vampire b
Michelle Johnson
May 02, 2016 Michelle Johnson rated it really liked it
I've never read an anthology before so this was definitely a delightful experience to get three vamp stories in one book.

Let it be known that I'm a sucker - hahaha no pun intended - for vampires. Always have been since I was a snotty nose kid, so off the bat my interest and excitement is already in full bloom. Add on the fact that all stories are historical vamps and automatically my mind brings me to blissful thoughts of Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire - which makes me even more excited
Ashley Gibson
Jan 07, 2015 Ashley Gibson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rated-reviewed, owned
This is an anthology featuring three stories. They are as follows:

Dark Hero by Hannah Howell (5 stars)
I absolutely loved this story. It is about Berawald MacNachton (a vampire) who chooses to live in a cave instead of the castle with the rest of his highland clan. They are being hunted by people who want to kill them because they are different. He has seen and heard ghosts since he became a man a long time ago. He is inside his cave when he sees a little boy, at first he thinks he is a ghost who
Cherie
Apr 12, 2013 Cherie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
The fifth MacNachton story involves Berawald who is a Pureblood living in a cave. A young boy comes upon him and asks for help with his sister Evanna. The two are being hunted because of their differences. This is a change from the previous MacNachton stories because the premise behind them has been to breed with Outsiders in order to dilute their differences and hopefully bear children. This story is also a little more violent than the previous ones in that the hunters make it to Cambrun. Evann ...more
Barbara ★
I really liked the first two stories but the third was terrible hence three stars and not four.

Dark Hero by Hannah Howell
I've basically read every Highland book she's written so it's been a while since I've enjoyed Ms. Howell's Highland heroes and I really miss them. She writes the best romances with the sexiest heroes and the perfect heroine for them. This was a wonderfully romantic tale that managed to convey such love in only 100 pages. Amazing.

Bride of the Beast by Adrienne Basso
I liked Be
Karry
Jun 02, 2016 Karry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read and loved the first story

I only read Hannah Howells story in this book. It was a great continuation of the previous in the series.
Bozana
Mar 23, 2013 Bozana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is all in the WRONG order.. it really should be this:

MacNachton Vampire - RECOMMENDED reading order:
1. The Eternal Highlander (2004) (with Lynsay Sands)
2. Highland Vampire (2005) (with Adrienne Basso and Deborah Raleigh)
3. My Immortal Highlander (2006) (with Lynsay Sands)
4. Highland Thirst (2007) (with Lynsay Sands)
5. Nature of the Beast (2008) (with Adrienne Basso and Eve Silver)
6. Highland Beast (2009) (with Victoria Dahl, Heather Grothaus)
7. Yours For Eternity (2010)(with Alexandra Ivy a
Lana
Apr 25, 2016 Lana rated it it was ok
Nature of the Beast** (Dark Hero*** by Hannah Howell, Bride of the Beast** by Adrienne Basso, Kiss of the Vampire* by Eve Silver)
Serita
Feb 08, 2015 Serita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dark Hero and Bride of the Beast were pretty good. I didn't care much for the Kiss of the Vampire
Anna
Aug 03, 2014 Anna rated it liked it
Three paranormal tales. Good but not great.
Julie
Apr 26, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
I've had this TSPB on my shelf for awhile. Nature of the Beast has three short stories featuring vampires and highlanders. The featured author is Hannah Howell, but I enjoyed the story by Adrienne Basso the best. Also featured was Eve Silver. Eve's story had a bit of suspense/mystery, which I really enjoyed. The stories were each about 100 pages long. These were not the lighthearted type of highlander stories. The romance is steamy, one more graphic than the other two. Not the best I've ever rea ...more
melissa garner
Good book

If you have the time this is a great book and the fast paced story line makes it easy to get lost in the story.
Cindy
Jan 23, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it
Historical vampires [one medieval Scot, one medieval Welsh, one 19th century Englishman:] - liked the Scot, the Welshman was good, but the English was set in the scummy slums of London and where's the fun in that? Hmmm, can you say 'historical vampires'? Let's try vampire stories in historical settings :-) . The historical settings were quite well done - I didn't spot any obvious errors which is unusual.
Lavada Dee
Sep 18, 2009 Lavada Dee rated it really liked it
There are 3 stories in this book. I like the first two the best. The first one the author uses a scottish brogue in the dialog that is a little distracting but the story is good enough to over come it. The second is perfect. The third book is slow to start and doesn't really move until the last 3rd of the book.

It's a genre I don't read a lot of but I'm thinking that may change
JazzRizz
Sep 08, 2008 JazzRizz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, 2008
This was a really great anthology. I enjoyed the longer stories with only 3 authors vs. the 4 shorter stories you usually get in anthologies.

Howell is the reason I checked this book out, but the other two authors more than held their own.

Each story was just as good as the one before it. I would definitely check out more from Adrienne Basso & Eve Silver .
Flitterkit
Sep 27, 2012 Flitterkit rated it it was ok
Eh, not my favorite.

Dark Hero by Hannah Howell was ok, not great, but not bad.

Bride of the Beast by Adrienne Basso one was more than a bit annoying. Not much to redeem it.

Kiss of a Vampire by Eve Silver, I actively had to force myself to finish. It got a bit better, but wasn't worth the time spent. Pity, I often enjoy her books.
Mary
Dec 06, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
Similar to preview short story compilations by Hannah Howell with other authors, I have only read Dark Hero by Hannah Howell. I thought I would have time to read the other stories before the book was due back at my local library but alas time has run out. I have it on my list to go back and read the additional stories at a later date.
T.
Feb 13, 2013 T. rated it really liked it
I was in the mood for a couple of short stories to fill the time, and the book was good for that. None of them were novel-worthy, but for a nice simple story to fill the time, this book was perfect. Good writing, no real surprises, but I enjoyed the read. 4- star rating for fulfilling expectations for short stories.
JJBMocha
Jan 31, 2013 JJBMocha rated it liked it
1. Dark Hero by Hannah Howell - Finally Berawald, I don't know what I expected and I do feel a little bit disappointed but at the same time liked it. 3.5 stars
2. Bride of the Beast by Adrienne Basso - Okay story 3 stars

3. Kiss of the Vampire by Eve Silver - it was just ok 2 stars
Melindeeloo
Aug 15, 2015 Melindeeloo rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires
I just love Howell's MacNaughtons, come on medieval fanged blood-drinking Scottish warriors, what's not to like. I do however miss her collaborations with Lynsay Sands, why? Well, with Sands it was double the MacNaughtons!

-- more to come
Katie
Jul 18, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it
I really liked the first 2 stories but I can't get through the last story by Ms. Silver. It could be that I work in the medical field and get really grossed out by reading about amputations but I suppose that is my problem - not hers.
Darcy
I picked this book up on a lark, haven't really read much of these authors, but this book just isn't for me. I am not a big fan of historicals and all 3 of these stories are with a paranormal twist.
Samantha Westall
Apr 14, 2015 Samantha Westall rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Cute anthology of short romance stories with Vampires. I read it because I have a soft spot for Howell's MacNachton series.
Mary
Feb 17, 2011 Mary added it
loved the short stories ,books like this give me a glimsp of what the authors have to offer so i can go out and get there books
  • Highland Hearts
  • A Joyous Season
  • The Mammoth Book of Irish Romance
  • Lords of Desire
  • The True Love Wedding Dress (Includes Keegan-Paxton #2)
  • The Chase (Deed, #3)
  • Secrets: Volume 14
  • Snowflakes and Stetsons
  • Immortal Bad Boys
  • Faery Magic
  • First Blood (Includes: Laws Of The Blood, #5.5; Vegas Vampires, #5; Vampire Babylon, #2.5; The Guardians, #3.5)
  • Four Dukes and a Devil
  • These Boots Were Made for Strutting: And Stunning and Knocking 'em Dead
  • Bewitched
  • Awakening the Beast (The Calling, #6.6)
  • His Wicked Sins (Dark Gothic #4)
  • Sunlight Moonlight
  • Nocturnal
Hannah Dustin Howell is a best-selling American author of over 40 historical romance novels. Many of her novels are set in medieval Scotland. She also writes under the names Sarah Dustin, Sandra Dustin, and Anna Jennet (see below).

She has also used the following pseudonyms:
Anna Jennet, Sarah Dustin and Sandra Dustin
More about Hannah Howell...

MacNachton Vampires (9 books)
  • The Eternal Highlander (MacNachton Vampires #1)
  • Highland Vampire (MacNachton Vampires, #2)
  • My Immortal Highlander (MacNachton Vampires, #3)
  • Highland Thirst (MacNachton Vampires, #4)
  • Highland Beast (MacNachton Vampires, #6)
  • Yours For Eternity (MacNachton Vampires, #7; Guardians of Eternity, #6.5)
  • Highland Hunger (MacNachton Vampires, #8) (Knights, #0.6)
  • Born to Bite (MacNachton Vampires, #9)