Nature Of The Beast (MacNachton Vampires, #5)

Nature Of The Beast (MacNachton Vampires #5)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  433 ratings  ·  31 reviews
In this captivating new collection from Hannah Howell, Adrienne Basso, and Eve Silver, three women meet the irresistible vampires who are their destiny--and discover a passion satisfied only by complete surrender. . . "Dark Hero" by Hannah Howell

Unlike most of his clan, Berawald MacNachton chooses to live in comfortable seclusion, far from the enemies who hunt his kind--un...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Kensington

Ronyell
Overall Rating: 3.7 stars

Dark Hero by Hannah Howell – 4 stars

Berawald MacNachton is apart of the mysterious and powerful MacNachton clan and seems to possess mysterious powers. But, when a beautiful woman named Evanna Massey comes to his cave along with her younger brother David, Berawald starts to realize that Evanna is no normal Outsider and he starts developing feelings for her!

I really enjoyed this story as the characters were great and the romance between Evanna and Berawald was hot and si...more
Julie (jjmachshev)
I so love anthologies. "Nature of the Beast" by Hannah Howell, Adrienne Basso, and Eve Silver is an anthology that historical vampire lovers will definitely want to acquire!

"Dark Hero" by Hannah Howell. Howell continues her stories of the MacNachton clan with Berawald's tale. He's quiet and tormented by the ghosts who constantly whisper to him until he saves a young woman and her brother and discovers what true happiness is. I love the way Hannah Howell writes and her continuing stories of the...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
"Dark Hero" by Hannah Howell- 3.5 stars Another one of her MacNaughton Vampire/Highlander series.

"Bride of the Beast" by Adrienne Basso- 3 stars

"Kiss of the Vampire" by Eve Silver- I haven't read this one, and I probably will later on, but right now I'm not interested
Carolyn F.
Anthology. 3.3 stars (math). This was an okay anthology. I liked Hannah Howell's story the most.

1. Dark Hero by Hannah Howell. I loved that this hero is a little insecure and with not much experience. Berawald sees ghosts and thinks that a little boy is a ghost at first. He finds out that the boy and his sister are actually running from killers. He also find they have a lot in common. I really like Hannah Howell's books - haven't really found one I didn't like. ****

2. Bride of the Beast by Adri...more
Ladiibbug
Jun 07, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: PNR Fans
Paranormal Anthol.

Dark Hero - Hannah Howell - 4 stars

Scotland, Summer 1512: Berawald MacNachton rescues a young boy and his beautiful sister. All are not quite human, and must stand against those who hunt them. I've read a few HH stories in anthols, and have enjoyed all of them.

Bride of the Beast - Adrienne Basso - 4 stars

Wales, Spring 1220: Haydn of Gwynedd first meets Bethan when she fearlessly frees him from her evil stepfather's prison. Years pass ... they must marry in order to defeat her v...more
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
I love the Hannah Howell MacNauton vampires. I am still sad that they only come out in anthology books, but I'm not sure I could read a whole novel with the "weel"s & "e'er"s etc. BUT this one was cute!

I am surprised that I enjoyed the other 2 stories. The Adrienne Basso was good & I'm glad I discovered her. That's the best part of the anthology books! You find new authors.

Eve Silvers was pretty good. Much better thsn her other books. I still enjoyed it.

I've not read very many vampire b...more
Ashley Gibson
Nov 09, 2013 Ashley Gibson rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: people who love paranormal romances
This is an anthology featuring three stories. They are as follows:

Dark Hero by Hannah Howell (5 stars)
I absolutely loved this story. It is about Berawald MacNachton (a vampire) who chooses to live in a cave instead of the castle with the rest of his highland clan. They are being hunted by people who want to kill them because they are different. He has seen and heard ghosts since he became a man a long time ago. He is inside his cave when he sees a little boy, at first he thinks he is a ghost who...more
Cherie Jensen
The fifth MacNachton story involves Berawald who is a Pureblood living in a cave. A young boy comes upon him and asks for help with his sister Evanna. The two are being hunted because of their differences. This is a change from the previous MacNachton stories because the premise behind them has been to breed with Outsiders in order to dilute their differences and hopefully bear children. This story is also a little more violent than the previous ones in that the hunters make it to Cambrun. Evann...more
Barbara ★
I really liked the first two stories but the third was terrible hence three stars and not four.

Dark Hero by Hannah Howell ★★★★★
I've basically read every Highland book she's written so it's been a while since I've enjoyed Ms. Howell's Highland heroes and I really miss them. She writes the best romances with the sexiest heroes and the perfect heroine for them. This was a wonderfully romantic tale that managed to convey such love in only 100 pages. Amazing.

Bride of the Beast by Adrienne Basso ★★★★
I...more
Bozana
This is all in the WRONG order.. it really should be this:

MacNachton Vampire - RECOMMENDED reading order:
1. The Eternal Highlander (2004) (with Lynsay Sands)
2. Highland Vampire (2005) (with Adrienne Basso and Deborah Raleigh)
3. My Immortal Highlander (2006) (with Lynsay Sands)
4. Highland Thirst (2007) (with Lynsay Sands)
5. Nature of the Beast (2008) (with Adrienne Basso and Eve Silver)
6. Highland Beast (2009) (with Victoria Dahl, Heather Grothaus)
7. Yours For Eternity (2010)(with Alexandra Ivy a...more
Julie
I've had this TSPB on my shelf for awhile. Nature of the Beast has three short stories featuring vampires and highlanders. The featured author is Hannah Howell, but I enjoyed the story by Adrienne Basso the best. Also featured was Eve Silver. Eve's story had a bit of suspense/mystery, which I really enjoyed. The stories were each about 100 pages long. These were not the lighthearted type of highlander stories. The romance is steamy, one more graphic than the other two. Not the best I've ever rea...more
Cindy
Historical vampires [one medieval Scot, one medieval Welsh, one 19th century Englishman:] - liked the Scot, the Welshman was good, but the English was set in the scummy slums of London and where's the fun in that? Hmmm, can you say 'historical vampires'? Let's try vampire stories in historical settings :-) . The historical settings were quite well done - I didn't spot any obvious errors which is unusual.
Lavada Dee
There are 3 stories in this book. I like the first two the best. The first one the author uses a scottish brogue in the dialog that is a little distracting but the story is good enough to over come it. The second is perfect. The third book is slow to start and doesn't really move until the last 3rd of the book.

It's a genre I don't read a lot of but I'm thinking that may change
JazzRizz
This was a really great anthology. I enjoyed the longer stories with only 3 authors vs. the 4 shorter stories you usually get in anthologies.

Howell is the reason I checked this book out, but the other two authors more than held their own.

Each story was just as good as the one before it. I would definitely check out more from Adrienne Basso & Eve Silver .
Flitterkit
Eh, not my favorite.

Dark Hero by Hannah Howell was ok, not great, but not bad.

Bride of the Beast by Adrienne Basso one was more than a bit annoying. Not much to redeem it.

Kiss of a Vampire by Eve Silver, I actively had to force myself to finish. It got a bit better, but wasn't worth the time spent. Pity, I often enjoy her books.
Mary Devine
Similar to preview short story compilations by Hannah Howell with other authors, I have only read Dark Hero by Hannah Howell. I thought I would have time to read the other stories before the book was due back at my local library but alas time has run out. I have it on my list to go back and read the additional stories at a later date.
T.
I was in the mood for a couple of short stories to fill the time, and the book was good for that. None of them were novel-worthy, but for a nice simple story to fill the time, this book was perfect. Good writing, no real surprises, but I enjoyed the read. 4- star rating for fulfilling expectations for short stories.
TallMocha
1. Dark Hero by Hannah Howell - Finally Berawald, I don't know what I expected and I do feel a little bit disappointed but at the same time liked it. 3.5 stars
2. Bride of the Beast by Adrienne Basso - Okay story 3 stars

3. Kiss of the Vampire by Eve Silver - it was just ok 2 stars
Melindeeloo
I just love Howell's MacNaughtons, come on medieval fanged blood-drinking Scottish warriors, what's not to like. I do however miss her collaborations with Lynsay Sands, why? Well, with Sands it was double the MacNaughtons!

-- more to come
Darcy
I picked this book up on a lark, haven't really read much of these authors, but this book just isn't for me. I am not a big fan of historicals and all 3 of these stories are with a paranormal twist.
Mary
Feb 17, 2011 Mary added it
loved the short stories ,books like this give me a glimsp of what the authors have to offer so i can go out and get there books
Tonya Warner
Absolutely wonderful. All three stories I thoroughly enjoyed racing to the end of each one to start the next.
ARe Cafe
A reading list selection in contemporary romance from TRS for AReCafe.
Sharon
I didn't dislike the three stories, but they were kind of forgettable.
Andrea
All three stories were fantastic! They were sweet and wonderful.
Erica
it was pretty good. but then again im a vampire kind of girl.
Kathryn T
Rating based solely on the Hannah Howell story.
Cool
DOE - enjoyed - fun, sexy reading :)
Crystal
missed the Sands contribution
  • The True Love Wedding Dress (Includes Keegan-Paxton #2)
  • Four Dukes and a Devil
  • Faery Magic
  • Nocturnal
  • Bewitched
  • The Mammoth Book of Irish Romance
  • Lords of Desire
  • Christmas Keepsakes
  • The Chase (Deed, #3)
  • Unleashed (Texas Vampires, #1.5)
  • Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, Anthology 2)
  • What Happens in Vegas... After Dark
  • Moon Shadows
  • A Christmas Ball (Includes: Nvengaria, #4)
  • Sunlight Moonlight
  • Hot Nights, Dark Desires (Includes: ACRO, #2.5)
  • The Beast Within (Guardians of the Dark, #4)
  • Sexy Beast (Sexy Beast #1)
Hannah Dustin Howell is a best-selling American author of over 40 historical romance novels. Many of her novels are set in medieval Scotland. She also writes under the names Sarah Dustin, Sandra Dustin, and Anna Jennet (see below).

She has also used the following pseudonyms:
Anna Jennet, Sarah Dustin and Sandra Dustin
More about Hannah Howell...
Highland Destiny (Murray Family, #1) The Eternal Highlander (MacNachton Vampires #1) My Immortal Highlander (MacNachton Vampires, #3) Highland Bride (Murray Family, #6) (MacEnroys, #1) Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)