Start by marking “The Corridors of Time” as Want to Read:
The Corridors of Time

The Corridors of Time

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  29 reviews
(from the back of the book)
A power struggle for time itself.
The corridors of time connect the ages to each other. Through them, one can travel backwards and forwards over the history of man. But rival factions have waged war for centuries.... Malcolm is an ordinary man of today, caught up in a time war beyond his comprehension....

Cover Illustration by Anthony Roberts
Published 1965 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Corridors of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Corridors of Time

Lyn
The Corridors of Time was first published by Poul Anderson in 1965. It concerns an imaginative approach to time travel and has as its central conflict an ageless battle between two forces: the Wardens, representing an Earth Mother set of values and mythos and the Rangers, a group who worship a mechanical ideal and through whom have influenced much of Western Civilization.

Time travel novels always leave me asking more questions about the details and what-ifs and sometimes just leave me guessing
Stephen Gallup
I went on a sci-fi binge in my early teens, and this is one of the few titles acquired then that have stuck with me through the years. I keep it on a shelf beside Chad Oliver's Winds of Time, not that the two stories have much in common beyond the similarity of their titles. It's about an ordinary guy being pulled out of recognizable circumstances and thrust into something very extraordinary, and in that regard is closer to the Edgar Rice Burroughs format. However, my recollection is that charac ...more
Cheryl
So far so political. I mean, it's for people who like to read Nietzche and Ayn Rand and are willing to look back on what we knew of neuroscience and genetics in the mid 1960s. I am already 20% done so I'll go ahead and finish, but right now I predict 2 stars.

Ok done. The time travel element was done well and there was adventure and even a bit of humor. Pretty typical of thoughtful science fiction of its era - read it if you just can't get enough of that stuff, but don't bother if you don't like
Manny

One of the better SF love triangles: 20th century guy has to choose between a far-future goddess and Ms. Average Nice Bronze-Age Chick. Both women are sympathetically portrayed. I'd better not tell you what happens - it's fun, and there's a terrific ending!
Boris
Hodnici vremena je sasvim pristojan akcijski SF roman s putovanjem kroz vrijeme kao temom.

Glavni lik je tipičan akcijski SF junak, s borbenim vještinama koje je stekao u mornarici, pametan,obrazovan i moralan.
Iz zatvora u kojem se na neki način našao izvlači ga superiorna predivna i sexy ljepotica iz budućnosti imenom Storm, s ciljem da joj bude pomoćnik u sukobu dviju frakcija iz daleke budućnosti, koji ove dvije frakcije vode istovremeno u gotovo svim povijesnim razdobljima Zemlje, počevši od
Chris Branch
Recently realized that I have this library book that's now about 25 years overdue and figured I'd read it before making an effort to return it.

So, I wasn't impressed. The time war storyline is one that's been done many times in the years since this was written in '65, and it came across as a bit stale. The characters could have redeemed it despite that, but alas, they were fairly boring too. And the attempt to give Lockridge a southern accent was inconsistent and irritating. Maybe I'm judging it
Travis
Two groups, the Wardens and the Rangers, are fighting a war across time, recruiting soldiers from the various historical periods. This story features a young man from roughly now-ish that is recruited by the Warden 'goddess', Storm Dalloway to help her on a mission to ancient Denmark and then things get complicated.

Not bad, reminds me a lot of Philip Jose Farmer. The time travel was interesting, but the 'reveal' in the story you will see coming pretty early on, and a lot of the cast never gain m
Bebabi34
Le gallerie del tempo (Romanzo, The Corridors of Time, 1965) di Poul Anderson
Traduzione di M[aurizio] Nati e S[andro] Pergameno
Izabela Kolar Furjan

----

Pol Anderson ANDERSON, POUL (USA) HODNICI VREMENA The Corridors of Time Andromeda 1, str. 3-156 1976
Pol Anderson ANDERSON, POUL (USA) HODNICI VREMENA Od A do Š 25/74 ÷ 29/74, str. ?s5n - 1.9.74 1974,0718

----
> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
Simon
Has been a long time since I read it but the I always remember it fondly and have held onto the book despite many culls of the library.
Edwin
For a book from that era it is a great read. Doesn't hold up that good (in Dutch translation) because the way things are written now. What I liked a lot, was that it just jumps from scene to scene without to much detail to get to the plot. Feels a bit like a Hollywood movie. Example: a group sails from England to Denmark and that takes about 3 sentences. After that they can get back into the fight.

The time travel is also awesome. I liked the idea of the forever ongoing war between the "earth" an
Michelle Hanson
It was ok.. rather dated, but the storyline ha some unexpected quirks..
Simon
An all american everyman is dragged into a war waged across time between two ideologically opposed forces that are behind most of the great wars and confrontations in earth's history.

Anderson uses many different wrting styles and I wasn't too keen on the one employed here that seemed to work against me engaging with the story.

It did end quite satisfactorally though but I think it could have been better.
David Robins
I liked it - a grand survey of a variety of cultures with a milennia-spanning war between two groups that want to claim "good" for themselves and "evil" for the other; but it's just not that simple, and when it comes down to it, the people of earth, of any time, would rather be left alone.
Edgar
This is objectively better than I judge it. For some reason the style kept me detached, but it's good writing, suitable for long historical descriptions and action sequences without a visible switch. I'll come to this book often later, while I'm writing, to see how he did it.
Janette
May not be the best-ever time travel novel, but a sentimental favourite since - aside from early exposure to Dr Who - this was my first encounter with time travel. Pause for collective "Awwww". Would need to reread in order to review properly!
Charles
Anderson's time war stories allowed him to explore all down through the ages and I thought he did a very good job. These weren't my favorite stories by him but Anderson really didn't do bad books.
Ralph McEwen
This book just didn't grab me at all, by the end all I wanted was the end. The story seems told well enough but the characters never clicked with me and I was kind of bored with the plot.
Erin
This was one of my very first science fiction books and it was my first time travel fiction. I was absolutely hooked after reading it. It sucked my young mind off to great adventures.
Peter
An interesting slant on time travel. Not as good as his other time travel yarns, but a good read nevertheless.
Darko
Simpatičan roman iz 1965 godine. Nije remek djelo ali obiluje sf akcijom na svim razinama.
Kenneth Flusche
old style SF because it was written way back when. You can see Poul's influence on modern SF
Steve
I'm rating this higher than it should be maybe, because it was a favorite when I was very young.
Clyde
Pretty good time travel yarn by one of the old masters.
Peter
Well written and exciting but kind of fails overall
Terry
An obvious precursor to his Time Patrol series.
Pierre
  • A Bridge of Years
  • Shakespeare's Planet
  • Up the Line
  • The Best Time Travel Stories of All Time
  • The Khyber Connection (Time Wars, #6)
  • The Flight of the Horse
  • The Proteus Operation
  • Time Scout (Time Scout, #1)
  • Venus Plus X
  • Millennium
  • The Wizard Of Linn
  • Castaways in Time (Castaways in Time, #1)
  • Race Against Time
  • Times Without Number
  • Time Storm
  • Homegoing
Pseudonym A. A. Craig, Michael Karageorge, Winston P. Sanders, P. A. Kingsley.

Poul William Anderson was an American science fiction author who began his career during one of the Golden Ages of the genre and continued to write and remain popular into the 21st century. Anderson also authored several works of fantasy, historical novels, and a prodigious number of short stories. He received numerous a
More about Poul Anderson...
Tau Zero The Broken Sword The Boat of a Million Years Three Hearts and Three Lions The High Crusade