Start by marking “Poems of Christina Rossetti” as Want to Read:
Poems of Christina Rossetti

Poems of Christina Rossetti

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  814 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
A beautifully illustrated gift book edition of Rossetti's musical nineteenth-century poetry includes such familiar works as ""Repining,"" ""A Birthday,"" ""Amor Mundi,"" and ""Goblin Market.""
Published September 14th 1994 by Gramercy (first published November 6th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Poems of Christina Rossetti, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems of Christina Rossetti

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeDracula by Bram StokerThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeThe Time Machine by H.G. WellsThe Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
Best Books of the Decade: 1890s
47th out of 230 books — 227 voters
The Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeThe Poetry of Robert Frost by Robert FrostThe Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonThe Selected Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke by Rainer Maria RilkeThe Complete Poems by John Keats
Best Poets
120th out of 273 books — 329 voters

More lists with this book...

John
May 14, 2008 John rated it really liked it
This poem is simply beautiful.......

Remember

Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go yet turning stay.
Remember me when no more day by day
You tell me of our future that you plann'd:
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had
Lavinia
Jun 07, 2009 Lavinia rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, poetry, in-en
Passing away the bliss,
The anguish passing away:
Thus it is
Today.

Clean past away the sorrow,
The pleasure brought back to stay:
Thus and this
Tomorrow.

(Passing)
Nasra
May 09, 2015 Nasra rated it it was amazing
"What are frail? spring blossoms and youth."

The simplicity of her words and the rhythmic artfulness of her short lines makes her work very haunting and intimate, but nonetheless beautiful. How one can write of pain in such a beautiful manner really does strike me, her words really do express her melancholic nature with wonderful poignancy.

There were moments were I felt as though I had to put the book down because of how vivid the feelings became!
Last Night's Readings
I can always fall into the words of Rossetti's poetry quietly. Her words are quick to catch the attention in any topic she chooses, whether she is writing about unrequited love, love lost, or a sister's love, and always leave a sweet aftertaste.

The tea I recommended for this book is Hard Candy by David's Tea. With it's smoothness upon your lips to the sweet taste, it reminds me wholly of Rossetti's word, especially her Goblin Market poem.
Keira
Mar 17, 2010 Keira rated it it was amazing
Christina Rosetti's poems are masterpieces, a voice of her age and (not just women) but the people of her time- Rosetti takes you on a sea of emotions and lets you down gentle feeling rejuvenated and smiling. I love her poems and "Remember" is my ABSOLUTE favourite poem (That and 2If" by Rudyard Kipling). I never think about death the same way, only Rosetti's poetry has that power. Must read her poems to truly be a balanced poet and poem-reader.
Danelle
Jun 02, 2015 Danelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 19th-century, mine
Who has seen the wind?
Neither I nor you:
But when the leaves hang trembling
The wind is passing through.

Who has seen the wind?
Neither you nor I:
But when the trees bow down their heads
The wind is passing by.

Twist me a crown of wind-flowers;
That I may fly away
To hear the singers at their song,
And players at their play.

Put on your crown of wind-flowers:
But whither would you go?
Beyond the surging of the sea
And the storms that blow.

Alas! your crown of wind-flowers
Can never make you fly:
I twist them i
Sharayu Gangurde
I am definitely going to buy a print copy of this wonderful book of poetry. I first became intrigued with Christina Rossetti last year, in 2015, when I chanced upon a penguin publication of her poem, The Goblin Market as part of its 80th anniversary celebrations. I could only imagine the Victorian circumstances and way of living that forced such brilliant women like Rossetti to seek their creative outlet through poetry. As a new Kindle reader, among the very first books that I searched for were ...more
Cate
Apr 30, 2015 Cate rated it really liked it
Christina Rossetti was first published at the age of 17 and from there went on to publish hundreds of poems; the majority religious and this may dissuade those who don’t hold with religion from reading her work, all I can say is please don’t let it.

One of my favourite pieces of her writing is 'Goblin Market’, the tale of two sisters Lizzie and Laura, and their almost fatal encounter with the goblin men. On first read I found it to be quite confusing, but the more I read this poem the more I came
Rob
Jun 19, 2012 Rob rated it liked it
(7/10) I came to this collection, as most people do, because of "Goblin Market", and while I'd loved to say it's eclipsed by more obscure gems, it remains probably Christina Rosetti's best poem, blending together her ferverent moralism with an element of the fantastic that remains unsettling even after the poem's conclusion. A lot of her work is pious, fairly simple Christian poems that rankle with earnestness and obvious rhymes. Her longer-form narrative poems are a lot better, even if they nev ...more
Tyrannosaurus regina
I never really thought of myself as having a particular taste in poetry, but I guess I did, and I do, and it has changed somewhat since the last time I read a lot of Christina Rossetti because I don't love this as much as I remembered. The language isn't as beautiful as it is in my memory and it doesn't often have an evocative force for me (though there are certainly moments).

However, "No, Thank You, John" just might be my new favourite thing.
Mark
Dec 15, 2014 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, poems-poetry
http://www.munseys.com/book/22140/Poems. Read: 18 Feb-7 March 2009. A bit much sometimes, especially when she’s on about religion, but I enjoyed quite a few.

Rachel
May 06, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Christina Rossetti is an amazing poet and I thoroughly enjoyed studying her works at A-level. Not to mention all the sexual connotations you can squeeze out of 'Goblin Market'!
CatLovesBooks
Nov 20, 2015 CatLovesBooks rated it it was amazing
Beautiful poems written by one of my favourite poets.
Lizzy
May 15, 2015 Lizzy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wem, classics, poetry
Enjoyable, and deep.
Lapsus Linguae
Jun 08, 2015 Lapsus Linguae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, poetry
Loved most of the poems, but some of them where the traditional woman's role as a "helpmeet for him" (i.e. a man, actually it's the title of one of the poems) was praised made me annoyed.
Christine
Mar 29, 2008 Christine rated it really liked it
I stole this book of poetry from my Mom. I remember reading "Goblin Market" while my husband was studying for his Eng Lit degree. I loved it because you don't have to have study group to enjoy. Like the fruit in "Goblin Market" it's juicy and delicious.
Blair
Jan 15, 2008 Blair rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry-and-plays
Some absolutely beautiful poetry, with 'The Heart Knoweth its Own Bitterness', 'L.E.L.', 'The Thread of Life' and 'Monna Innominata' being particular favourites. However, as an atheist I found some of the overtly religious tones a little hard to stomach.
Tortla
I'm not sure if I mis-read the first poem ("Goblin Market"), but I could have sworn that the sisters were goblins, too. Maybe not. (Upon re-reading the poem I have come to accept their non-goblin-hood. Goblins are bad, sisters are good.)
Mike Puma

According to my kindle, I'd read 17% before arriving, all too slowly, at the point of: Oh, Hell, no.

Left me feeling like a self-mutilator without the euphoria.

Likeahumanbeingonlysmaller
There were some beautiful poems in this collection, but there were a larger number of obscure sacred ones. I think I would stick with her selected works next time.
M
Sep 05, 2007 M rated it really liked it
very romantic poet...i love SONG and the ROSE.

'a lady of all beauty is a rose upon a thorn'
Anna Sutanto
Sep 18, 2007 Anna Sutanto rated it really liked it
How can she describe pain so beautifully? Beauty so painfully?
Andrew Wright
Apr 17, 2016 Andrew Wright rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned
Artless and frivolous.
Bri Zabriskie
May 24, 2013 Bri Zabriskie rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite poets.
 Barb Bailey
Jul 19, 2014 Barb Bailey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, 5-star-books, 2013
Beautiful book of poetry.
Madelaine
Madelaine marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Ryan Cutter
Ryan Cutter marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Melody Gerald
Melody Gerald marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
  • Sonnets from the Portuguese and Other Poems
  • Greek Lyrics
  • Selected Poetry
  • Selected Poems
  • W.B. Yeats (Everyman's Poetry)
  • Emily Dickinson Everyman's Poetry
  • Selected Poetry of William Wordsworth
  • Selected Poems
  • Hopkins: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Adrienne Rich's Poetry and Prose
  • Selected Poetry
  • The Complete Poems
  • Otherwise: New and Selected Poems
Christina Georgina Rossetti, one of the most important women poets writing in nineteenth-century England, was born in London December 5, 1830, to Gabriele and Frances (Polidori) Rossetti. Although her fundamentally religious temperament was closer to her mother's, this youngest member of a remarkable family of poets, artists, and critics inherited many of her artistic tendencies from her father.

J
More about Christina Rossetti...

“Ah me, but where are now the songs I sang
When life was sweet because you call’d them sweet?”
176 likes
“My heart is like a singing bird
Whose nest is in a water'd shoot;
My heart is like an apple-tree
Whose boughs are bent with thick-set fruit;
My heart is like a rainbow shell
That paddles in a halcyon sea;
My heart is gladder than all these,
Because my love is come to me.

Raise me a daïs of silk and down;
Hang it with vair and purple dyes;
Carve it in doves and pomegranates,
And peacocks with a hundred eyes;
Work it in gold and silver grapes,
In leaves and silver fleurs-de-lys;
Because the birthday of my life
Is come, my love is come to me.”
24 likes