Dioses, Tumbas y Sabios

Dioses, Tumbas y Sabios

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  815 ratings  ·  56 reviews
C.W. Ceram visualized archeology as a wonderful combination of high adventure, romance, history & scholarship, & this book, a chronicle of the human search for our past, reads like a dramatic narrative. We travel with Heinrich Schliemann as, defying the ridicule of the learned world, he actually unearths the remains of the ancient city of Troy. We share the excitem...more
Mass Market Paperback, 454 pages
Published July 28th 1975 by Destino (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Dioses, Tumbas y Sabios, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dioses, Tumbas y Sabios

Lucy
Lots of great anecdotes (especially anything about Petrie and Schliemann). My favorite adage, and one that comforted me during the worst thunderstorm I've ever flown through coming into Missoula one summer, is "An easy death in early youth is the sweetest boon available to mankind." Quite.
Izumen
Рядко срещани са основополагащите книги, написани на разбираем за непросветения, език. Точно те ни избавят от мистерията на незнанието и ни помагат да виждаме и разбираме едни чудни светове. Книга, която ще препрочитам отново и отново.
Alexis Neal
An excellent and informative book. Ceram's unquenchable passion and unflagging enthusiasm for his field are quite contagious. Presumably all archaeologists chose their field because they care deeply about it; however, this excitement does not always translate in their dry and often lifeless writing.

Furthermore, Ceram is no snobby academic--he is most delighted by significant contributions from non-traditional and amateur archaeologists. Not that these amateurs are poorly educated--he reiterates...more
Coyle
An absolutely fantastic book! This book would get people as excited about archaeology as the Indiana Jones movies! Too bad "real" (i.e. modern) archaeology is more like sifting through a sandbox with a toothbrush than like Ceram's excited amateurs discovering lost empires and fantastic Lovecraftian worlds...
Margaret Sharp
For those interested in Archaeology, this volume is a treasure.
It abounds in truly fascinating and factual accounts of discoveries and expeditions, spanning the centuries. We meet remarkable characters, and share their sense of purpose and excitement of discovery.
It's a lengthy volume, but highly readable from cover to cover. Its contents have made a lasting impression on me.
Highly recommended.
Sandy
May 27, 2012 Sandy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: class assignment in HS
Different cover, same terrific book! I just loved this fascinating history of archaeology from Schliemen's finds in Egypt to those of others in Mexico, Peru and more. I was always awed and dumbfounded by the Aztec practice of throwing virgins into the watery depths and cutting out hearts and such other ghastly stuff!! Really cool and horrible and neat all in one!! Great book!! I read it several times just BECAUSE!

what a fabulous fabulous book!! I read this for my archeology class at Northfield M...more
Larry
A terrific introductory look at archeology for those wanting to explore other epochs and achievements in various societies that once existed pre-dating even Greece and Egypt’s storied antiquity. The accounts of laymen, adventurers, scholars and sometimes a combination of some or or all of these men's qualities mentioned is intriguing. The fact that Central and South America , with its variety of very advanced cultures, was left to fallow undiscovered, in the wake of the Egyptian and latter middl...more
ulli_z
The great stories of archaeology - this made me an archaeology enthusiast when I was a teen.
GONZA
I personaggi principali dell'arecheologia e le loro scoperte raccontate come un romanzo che comincia dalla scoperta delle vecchie mura di Troia da parte di Schliemann, passa per la tomba di Tutankamon di Carter e finisce(?) in Guatemala. Appassionante e scorrevole, uno di quei libri che ricordavo di aver letto alle medie e mi ha lasciato la stessa bella sensazione di allora.
Walter
Who would have thought that archeology could be this cool? Written by CW Ceram, who actually was a propaganda writer for Adolf Hitler in the 1930s and 1940s, "God Graves and Scholars" is an adventure through the archeological sites of the 19th and 20th centuries. Ceram describes the great discoveries of Troy and Knossos, the discovery of the tomb of King Tut in the 1920s and various archeological discoveries in the jungles of Mexico and Peru. Through it all, Ceram captures the spirit of adventur...more
Rosemary
I read this book when I ws 10 - 12 yo. I loved it and still love it for the inspiration to explore the world it gave me. I lived in a tiny town of 1200 or so that did not even have a library. I borrowed books from my parents's friends, with the result that I read a lot of Gene Stratton Porter and other authors popular with my mother's generation. It makes the romance of archaeology seem possible for anyone. It brings the past to life in glowing color.
M
My favorite thing in this book has always been the account of Edward Herbert Thompson's discovery of Chichen-Itza. It's worth reading just for the atmosphere! Thompson dredged the sacred well and, in a diving suit, went down into the dark waters. C. W. Ceram is a pen name for Kurt Marek. The actual title correctly has a comma before and.
Dean Mermell
From the pharoes to the Mayans, from the Rosetta stone to the Hittites, this book is probably the best introduction to "modern" archeology there is. Written in 1954, there are probably a lot of inaccuracies in it, but the passion for uncovering the past and making connections that reflect on who we are today comes through loud and clear.
Adrienne
In Berlin this winter, I visited the Pergamon Museum.

That's what inspired reading this book.I Really enjoyed it. Archeology, all the beauty, mystery, politics,and strum and drang you could ever want.

The museum gets 5 stars. we went back the next day.
Rebecca
I used to want to be an Egyptologist when I was younger, until I hit my teens and was all about poetry and Jane Austen. This book was great; he took just enough time to explain the human interest stories behind the discoveries so that you got all the facts without the book being dry and monotonous.
Lindsey
utilized this edition for a class i took at asu. absolutely loved it. it helps though that i am interested in egyptian art and history, but it was a delightfully light read. i would recommend it to anyone that wanted to learn about egyptians history and art and not fall asleep in the process.
Erik Graff
Dec 10, 2009 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginners in archaeology/cultural anthropology
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: history
I read this and his Hittite book ignorant of Ceram's Nazi past, even of his actual name (Kurt Wilhelm Marek) thoroughly enjoying both. This particular work was an accessible overview of the history of the archaeological "discoveries" of a number of ancient societies.
Karen
I have the hardback copy published in 1968. It was the book that caused me to think that I wanted to be an archeologist. However, chemistry in college was my demise. I just couldn't memorize that table of elements. However the book is still facinating.
Aaron
This book details some of the more interesting stories of archeology (usually involving a single explorer). The edition I read was pretty dated (1952) and it would be more interesting with more maps and more current information.
Amara Thornton
Aug 18, 2007 Amara Thornton is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
very interesting descriptions and thoughts on the importance of the story of archaeology. includes mini biographies of some famous archaeologists involved in thrilling adventures of derring-do in the field...and the library.
Jose Vera
Tal vez una de la ciencias menos excitantes para el profano es la arqueología. El hecho de estar excavando cuadrante por cuadrante durante años en un desierto para poder descubrir uno o dos fragmentos de vasijas no ofrezca muchos atractivos para el hombre común pero C.W. Ceram supo hacer que estas expediciones tengan la grandeza de una historia épica (en algunos casos lo son) y nos presenta los descubrimientos que hacen los arqueólogos como hechos que cambian al mundo (que en algunos casos, lo c...more
Tom Schulte
Ceram does a wonder ful job bringing to life the early adventurers (not scientists) that kicked off archaeology as a science in the Old and New Worlds, and bringing to life the ancient societies of meso-america.
Scott Fuchs
Apr 27, 2011 Scott Fuchs rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Scott by: My Mom
Shelves: favorites
This is the book that started me on the road to a lifelong interest in archeology & Egyptology. One of the most prized books in my library.
[I read the Knopf [Hardcover] - 15th printing edition [1954]
May
Inspired me to want to be an archaeologist. Too bad my career in the field was short-lived after taking my first year archaeology course. Oh well, at least I have fond memories of the book.
Linda
A magnificent introduction to archaeology and worlds of the past: Egypt, Samaria, Greece, and Yucatan. This opened my mind to the excitement of archaeolgy, a subject I still enjoy reading about.
Theo Karner
Exceptional story that was both entertaining and insightful. Put history, and archaeology, into a context I had never appreciated before. One of the few non-fiction books I am going to read again.
Jaana Alliku
Interesting, fascinating and surprisingly easy read about great scholars and important discoveries & excavations. This book is a mind blowing journey back in time.
Robert
This book is pretty much a whole college course on the history of Archaeology. Greatly informative, filled with action and adventure, and all true!
James
Dec 21, 2010 James rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students of history young and old.
Introduces the reader to the exciting science of archaeology and to the study of ancient civilizations through archaeological artifacts.
Oh the system ate my review. Well, it covers all the hits in the archaeology hit parade-- Troy, Egypt (Tut and others), Champollion and other translators of ancient texts, Sumeria, the Tower of Babel, Ninevah, etc.
Lots of fun to read.
  • Archaeology: Theories, Methods and Practice
  • Cahokia: Ancient America's Great City on the Mississippi
  • The Bog People: Iron-Age Man Preserved
  • Red Land, Black Land: Daily Life in Ancient Egypt
  • The Man in the Ice: The Discovery of a 5,000-Year-Old Body Reveals the Secrets of the Stone Age
  • Frauds, Myths, and Mysteries: Science and Pseudoscience in Archaeology
  • The Oxford History of the Roman World
  • In Search of the Indo-Europeans
  • Cannibals and Kings: Origins of Cultures
  • People of the Earth: An Introduction to World Prehistory
  • The Horse, the Wheel and Language: How Bronze-Age Riders from the Eurasian Steppes Shaped the Modern World
  • No Bone Unturned: The Adventures of a Top Smithsonian Forensic Scientist and the Legal Battle for America's Oldest Skeletons
  • After the Ice: A Global Human History 20,000-5000 BC
  • Lucy: The Beginnings of Humankind
  • Origins
  • The Vanished Library: A Wonder of the Ancient World
  • Courtesans and Fishcakes: The Consuming Passions of Classical Athens
  • The Ancient Engineers
C. W. Ceram was the pseudonym of German journalist and author Kurt Wilhelm Marek, known for his popular works about archaeology. He chose to write under a pseudonym to distance himself from his earlier work as a propagandist for the Third Reich.

Ceram was born in Berlin. During World War II, he was a member of the Propagandatruppe. His works from that period include Wir hielten Narvik, 1941, and Ro...more
More about C.W. Ceram...
The Secret of the Hittites: The Discovery of an Ancient Empire The First American: The Story of North American Archaeology Civiltà al sole The March of Archaeology I detectives dell'archeologia. Le grandi scoperte archeologiche nel racconto dei protagonisti

“Archaeology, I found, comprehended all manner of excitement and achievement. Adventure is coupled with bookish toil. Romantic excursions go hand in hand with scholarly self-discipline and moderation. Explorations among the ruins of the remote past have carried curious men all over the face of the earth… Yet in truth, no science is more adventurous than archaeology, if adventure is thought of as a mixture of spirit and deed.” 7 likes