Start by marking “The New Bear At School” as Want to Read:
The New Bear At School

The New Bear At School

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Boris the bear is new at school--and all the other animals are afraid of him! Pitch-perfect writing and delightfully charming illustrations will make this a treasured starting school story.

It's hard enough being the new kid at school, but when you're a big bear like Boris, it's even worse! Poor Boris tries his best to be gentle, but his sharp-toothed smile scares away his
Published July 1st 2008 by Scholastic Press (first published October 4th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The New Bear At School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Bear At School

Jade
A story about a 'hairy, scary, grizzly' bear named Boris who is looking for friendship and acceptance on his first day of school. However Boris is very clumsy and frightens the other children who do not want to be his friends. Even the teacher suggests that Boris tries to be more gentle. When Boris unwittingly scares a gang of bullies, his classmates embrace his 'bear-ish' ways and are glad to be his friend.
The bit when Boris cries alone in the book corner was quite upsetting. Children shouldn't
Shemona
‘The New Bear At School’ by Carrie Weston and Tim Warnes is the perfect story book to read to children on the first day of term. It a tail of Boris a ‘scary’ grizzly bear who starts school but all the other animal students are too scared to befriend him. This upsets Boris and makes him feel very lonely and upset. However, his big size becomes an advantage as he helps to frighten off the big bad bullies in doing so makes friends with his fellow students. This positive story explores friendship, b ...more
Margaret Welwood
I think this is one of those books where it’s hard to believe the author and illustrator are two different people. Tim Warnes has so beautifully captured the innocence and sweetness of the animals, both in their facial expressions and their actions. (Except for the rat pack, of course—these meanies are neither sweet nor innocent.)

Scary, hairy, and just plain big, Boris is excluded all day by his frightened classmates. But on the way home . . . (Oops, no spoilers!)

This is a beautifully told story
Keri
Category: Grades K-3, Book #13

This book is about a new "kid" (actually a bear named Boris) at school who doesn't quite fit in at first. He's bigger than all the other animals and no matter how gentle he was, he still scared the other animals. This made him very sad, because he wanted to fit in just like all the other animals. On their way home from school one day, some bullies approached the smaller animals and Boris rescued his friends and scared them away. From that day on, Boris was loved by
Melissa Moraja
This poor bear just didn't fit in and sadly the only one who tried to help him fit in was the teacher. I felt as if the author overly stressed how scared all the other animals were of bear and then all of a sudden bear does something wonderful and they all like him. They didn't even get to know him. Just a strange way to finally welcome someone at school.
Heather Bowden
This is a book that I would read if I received a new student during the year. Or at the beginning of the year for students who are attending the school for the first time. It shows that you can't judge a book by it's cover, because you don't know what's inside. The other animals in the class were expecting a cute teddy bear but they got Boris instead and they immediately thought he was scary. The teacher didn't make it any better because she didn't see all the accidents as just accidents, she wa ...more
Ellie Matthews
This is a lovely book about a misunderstood new bear in school. Boris is large and ungainly and causes confusion and a little terror wherever he does. However when the other children are attached by the 'Rat Gang' he inadvertently saves the day.

I thought this book was great and really wished I had had it in my first teaching placement, where new arrivals were very common and often seemed very disorientated. I also really liked it from a teachers point of view, the illustrations give a very funn
Ina
When the animals in Miss Cluck's class hear that they are getting a new bear in their class, they are excited and dream about pink fluffy bears and soft bears with velvet paws. What they get is a "big, hairy, scary grizzly bear" who breaks things and scares the other students with his big teeth when he smiles, trying to make friends. The illustrations are wonderful and brim with warmth and emotion as the reader watches Boris struggle to fit in and make friends on his first day of school. There a ...more
Susan
Franklin the Turtle had a big moose move into the school - this is along those lines but as the mother of very tall boys who were teased, I found it irksome. While a book I recently read, How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin by McNamara, made good points about being small - especially with the terrific line "small things can have a lot going on inside them", this story has the teacher continually asking the large bear to try not to be so scary, and the (rather doofy) looking bear inadvertantly saves the ...more
Rachel Barnard
Weston, Carrie. The New Bear At School. Scholastic, Inc, 2008.

Picture book soak

I really did love this book. I caught myself laughing out loud while reading. This is such a sweet book about turning someones differences into a positive thing. Although Boris was big and scary, those qualities helped him to save his friends and prove that he was not so scary after all. This book is also ideal for the beginning of the school year in the classroom. The illustrations and writing style are perfect for
Kelly Thevenot
The New Bear at School would be a great book to read to a child who is new at school. The bear in this story does not really fit in anywhere because the other animals are scared of him and he is too big to play with them. All the students are nearly attacked by a rat pack until Bear scared them away. Now they do not think Bear is so bad after all. This would be a great story to read when teaching that everyone fits in and we should treat everyone equally.
Christina Townley
This is a book about a new student that comes to class, the student is a bear. All of the other students stay away from Boris the bear because they are scared of how big he is and his teeth. Boris is very sad and lonely until one day he saves his classmates from a group of mean rats. From then on all the students love Boris and realize how nice he really is. The moral of the story is not to judge a person by how they look.
Jackie
Boris is too hairy, too scary, and too grizzly to go to school, or is he? Maxwell, Fergus, and Leticia think he is! But, when Boris comes in handy scaring away the bullies of the rat pack, the three friends change their minds and decide that Boris is just the one they want around when trouble sneaks up...and having a cuddly, furry lap doesn't hurt either.

Used for "Bears" Storytime: October, 2011.
Linda Costello
This is great for if you have a new student come to your room. When the teacher says a bear is coming everyone thinks it will be a teady bear. The bear is a grizzly bear and everyone is scared of him. The bear crys at the end of the school day. When the students are walking home from school a rat pack attacks them. When the bear walks up he scares the rats away. Now everyone loves him.
Maggie
This was such a beautiful book it made me cry! I'm a Speech-Language Pathology student doing my senior placement with preschoolers and my college's library suggested this for Preschool-First graders. SUCH A GREAT SUGGESTION FOR ANYONE! I would read this to parents! Beautiful book! "If you're going to be a bear then it's probably best to be a hairy, scary grizzly bear."
Katie Brown
This story is about a bear that is a new student. He is the biggest one in the class and everyone thinks he is scary. He feels like he doesn't belong until he scares off some bullies. His classmates thank him and become his friend. It is good to teach about being different and acceptance. It is also good to read to new students.
Tierra Garr
This book talks about a bear who is new to a school and just doesn't quite fit in. Many are scared of him and just don't know what to think about him, until the end where he is accepted for who he is.
Erin
I have never been a big fan of books or ideas that someone becomes popular just because they become useful in some way. But other than that idea, I have no big issues with the book.
Lulu
This is the CUTEST book I've ever read!! I skimmed it real quick at the Montessori school I work at and fell in love w/ the story and illustrations. Too cute. Omg.<3
Huda
Apr 15, 2009 Huda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Huda by: بركات كتابنا
Shelves: en-pic-books
The giant scary class mate turned out to be cuter than the cuteness itself. A simple story that tells us never judge the book from its cover
Zonia
When a grizzly bear joins the class, the other animals are frightened but find that he can really come in handy as a friend.
Christina
A good book for discussing acceptance and making friends. The animals learned that the big grizzly bear has a purpose after all.
Kaethe
I don't know why the PandaBat is so keen on starting-school books these days, but Boris the bear is a cutie.
Sandybear76
This is cute. The kindergarteners loved it. it was in the new pile and I just had to read it.
Tee
The illustrations are the cutest I've ever seen. A must see!
Tammy
Cute story and the illustrations are great!
Emily
My first graders LOVED this.
Michele
Cute story of acceptance.
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
What Noise Does a Rabbit Make? If a Chicken Stayed for Supper Oh, Boris! Bravo, Boris! Crocodiles Need Kisses Too