Start by marking “Ancient Athens on 5 Drachmas a Day” as Want to Read:
Ancient Athens on 5 Drachmas a Day

Ancient Athens on 5 Drachmas a Day

Welcome to Athens in 431 BC! This entertaining guide provides all the information a tourist needs for a journey back in time to ancient Athens at its pinnacle of greatness more than 2000 years ago. Travel via Thermopylae, the Oracle at Delphi, and the site of the epic Battle of Marathon to the city of Athena, goddess of wisdom. Meet Socrates, Thucydides, Phidias, and other ...more
Published October 17th 2008 by Thames & Hudson (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Ancient Athens on 5 Drachmas a Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancient Athens on 5 Drachmas a Day

Sharon
Jun 25, 2009 Sharon rated it liked it
This is an informative, entertaining book about ancient Athens, presented in the form of a modern travel guide. I thought Matyszak's first book, "Ancient Rome on 5 Denarii a Day" was better, but since ancient Rome is his field of expertise, that's not such a surprise. Where that book was truly engaging, with an immediacy that put me right in the Rome of AD 200, this book is merely interesting. I didn't feel a connection with ancient Athens, possibly in part because I am a woman, and women in tha ...more
John
Dec 21, 2008 John rated it really liked it
Sequel to "Ancient Rome on 5 Denarii a Day" -- that one could be described as "Falco gets a gig writing for Lonely Planet", while this one struck me as an episode of Mr. Peabody (author) and Sherman (reader) visiting Athens via the Way Back Machine.
Kara
Jun 24, 2014 Kara rated it liked it

I’m not sure if it’s the writing or the subject matter, but the book left me with no desire to visit ancient Athens or to learn more.

There were a few interesting facts, but the book never really came together as a whole. There was no sense of the city itself, more just a list of some bits and pieces about various wars, philosophers, and military leaders.
Menno
Nov 30, 2009 Menno marked it as to-read
This travel guide is a peoples' history in disguise. It is concerned with the details of daily life such as what to eat, where to stay, and what sights to see for a visitor to ancient Athens. These sorts of details are often overlooked in the more traditional histories. And it will come in really handy if I decide to do some time traveling.
S. J.
Aug 31, 2012 S. J. rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone to try
Recommended to S. by: Previous books in the series

* Ease of Reading - 7
* Photos/Illustrations - 7
Final Score: 51/80 = 64%

*The Gush*

What I like about these travel books is how much you learn even though you feel you’re not learning at all. It doesn’t feel like a lesson or a boring history book yet I learned far more from this small book then any class I ever took on the subject. Setting it up as a trav
sabisteb
Mar 10, 2011 sabisteb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sachbuch
"Athen für 5 Drachmen am Tag" ist der zweite Band der historischen Reiseführerreihe des Sanssouci Verlages, der den Leser in verschiedene Städte zu ihrer Blütezeit führt, jedoch aufgemacht ist wie ein moderner Reiseführer.
Anders als in "Rom für 5 Denar am Tag" oder "Shakespeares London für 5 Schilling am Tag" ist dieser Band wesendlich deutlicher, was die Adressierung des Reisenden angeht. Es wird ein Reisender der heutigen Zeit angesprochen, der sich auf eine Zeitreise in die Antike begeben möc
Stuart Hill
I picked this one up having enjoyed the author's previous volume on Ancient Rome. This book takes the same approach to its subject, but wasn't quite as successful for me. Perhaps it is Athens' lack of renowned buildings that made the difference, whilst Rome has left a tangible physical inheritance in the shape of the Colosseum, Pantheon, Forum etc. Athens doesn't have so much to offer in comparison, yes there's the Parthenon but other significant construction which was contemporary has been lost ...more
Simon Binning
If you have read little or nothing about Ancient Greece, then this could be a good place to start. It is written as a light-hearted guidebook to visiting Athens in about 431bce, and gives you a high level introduction to the city, its environs, and it's people. It covers all the basics, looking at how the Athenians live, eat, fight, marry, die and govern themselves.
For me, it was a little disappointing. It is quite short, and if you have any knowledge of the period, will probably not contain an
Reuel
Sep 04, 2015 Reuel rated it liked it
An imaginary tour of Athens in 431 BCE, covering nearby areas (e.g. Delphi, Marathon, & Attica generally), the Piraeus (harbor); social customs; pastimes; religion; politics; then--current philosophers, historians, & playwrights; rituals; and local sights. Intended for young adults, it's written in a light, humorous fashion--A quick read. Includes lots of interesting illustrations of art and architecture.
Andreas Michaelides
I often wondered how it would be to live in Ancient Greece, how easy or how hard life would be. This book realised that wish and dream tot he fullest, while reading it I actually felt that I was living in Ancient Athens, walking down the streets of the city that gave birth to Democracy and admiring the pantheon of buildings, people and gods.
Anna
Jul 18, 2016 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really interesting way of reading history!
Alice
Apr 25, 2011 Alice rated it it was ok
The idea of this book was cute, but I found it to be just OK. May be a good read if you're interested in the history of ancient Greece, but I care more about modern Greece.
Midori
Aug 04, 2011 Midori rated it it was ok
The author is not expert in the Greek world and lacks of knowledge in Ancient Greek language; substantial mistakes on this field. Overall, it is amusing but it has considerable errors.
Jimmy
Apr 29, 2016 Jimmy rated it liked it
Shelves: classical-lit
Since I probably will never realize my lifelong dream of visiting Greece, I thought I might try to do it vicariously. Alas, nothing is ever quite that simple.
Coeursavage
Dec 24, 2014 Coeursavage rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-time
Cute
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2014
Benjamin Lew
Benjamin Lew rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2013
Wasawat
Wasawat rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2017
Amy Greenblatt
Amy Greenblatt rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2011
Jonathan13
Jonathan13 rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2013
Teri
Teri rated it liked it
May 03, 2009
Meaghan
Meaghan rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2009
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2008
Pascal
Pascal rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2016
Imogen Herrad
Imogen Herrad rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2015
Melina
Melina rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2010
J. Bruce
J. Bruce rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2014
Noémi
Noémi rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Wdp
Wdp rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Augustus (Emperors, #1)
  • Working IX to V: Orgy Planners, Funeral Clowns, and Other Prized Professions of the Ancient World
  • The Tribes of Britain
  • A Day in the Life of Ancient Rome
  • The Secret Ministry of Ag. and Fish
  • Paris Under Water: How the City of Light Survived the Great Flood of 1910
  • Courtesans and Fishcakes: The Consuming Passions of Classical Athens
  • Watching War Films with My Dad
  • Arthur's Britain
  • The Secret State: Whitehall and the Cold War
  • Rifleman: A Front-Line Life from Alamein and Dresden to the Fall of the Berlin Wall
  • The Lighthouse Stevensons: The extraordinary story of the building of the Scottish lighthouses by the ancestors of Robert Louis Stevenson
  • The Day of the Barbarians: The Battle That Led to the Fall of the Roman Empire
  • The Courtiers: Splendor and Intrigue in the Georgian Court at Kensington Palace
  • Napoleon's Privates: 2,500 Years of History Unzipped
  • Flushed: How the Plumber Saved Civilization
  • From Democrats to Kings: The Brutal Dawn of a New World from the Downfall of Athens to the Rise of Alexander the Great
  • The Matter Of Wales: Epic Views Of A Small Country