Something Of Value

Something Of Value

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  328 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Something of Value is a novel based on events that took place in Kenya Colony during the violent Mau Mau insurrection of the 1950s, an uprising that was confined almost exclusively to members of the Kikuyu tribe. It is a powerful, gripping, and sometimes shocking novel that presents an enlightening glimpse into the lives of all sections of the population in Colonial Kenya...more
Hardcover, 1st edition, 565 pages
Published 1955 by Doubleday & Co

To ask other readers questions about Something Of Value, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Of Value

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerExodus by Leon UrisMy Cousin Rachel by Daphne du MaurierKatherine by Anya SetonEast of Eden by John Steinbeck
Fifties Fiction Favorites
44th out of 85 books — 67 voters
Out of Africa by Karen BlixenWest with the Night by Beryl MarkhamThe Flame Trees of Thika by Elspeth HuxleyThe Constant Gardener by John le CarréWhite Mischief by James Fox
Books Set in Kenya
19th out of 122 books — 51 voters

More lists with this book...

Cwn_annwn_13
I was recomended this book by somebody and thought it was going to be a politically incorrect (honest) account of the communist funded Mau Mau revolution in Kenya. What it actually is, is a historical fiction account of it. I was truly blown away by this book. Even though it doesn't always portray the whites in a very good light idiots would say this book is racist because it shows the utter brutality and ignorant superstions of the blacks. These days you are only allowed to show the bad side of...more
Checkman
A surprising account of the Mau Mau Rebellion in British Kenya in the early 1950's. Why is it surprising? Mainly because it's brutal in it's accounting of atrocities committed by both the Blacks and Whites.I didn't expect that from a mainstream novel published in the mid-1950's. The book doesn't pull any punches and it doesn't let either side off. The book makes it clear both sides are to blame.

However, as another reviewer has pointed out, Ruark does write mostly from the white farmer's point of...more
DoctorM
Ruark's "Something of Value" appeared in 1955, just at the end of the Mau Mau rebellion in Kenya. I read it as a young boy and found it both exhilarating in its depiction of late-colonial Kenya and horrifying in its account of the Mau Mau and their atrocities. These days, of course, the Mau Mau are regarded as nationalist freedom fighters (though of course the vast majority of their victims were non-Kikuyu black Africans) and it's the British and their internment camps rather than the Mau Mau wi...more
John Rouse
Robert Ruark, a journalist and writer of some success came to Kenya in 1949 to go on hunting safari. While there he became a close friend of the famed white hunter Harry Selby who owned a 40,000 acre cattle ranch in the White Highlands near Mt Kenya. During the next six years he went back several times and was a firsthand witness to the beginning of the Mau Mau rebellion and State of Emergency which began in 1952 up until the eventual suppression of the rebellion in 1956. The violence of the reb...more
Wenzl Schollum
Racist and sexist - a book that could never be published in this day and age. The women are there to look pretty , have babies and pour their handsome men another drink. The "wogs" as they are called so often are there to do as they are told or take their punishment - be it a kick in the pants or tortured to death. The animals are there to be slaughtered for trophies or to clear the land for the white farmers.
The settler regime in Kenya was probably the most openly racist one in the British empi...more
carl  theaker

When I was a kid my Dad watched this movie about
19 times so by default, did we. My Mom eventually made
fun of seeing it yet again.

Years later I saw the book on a friend's shelf so
I read it. It is a good read; many insights into
Kenyan customs. A lot of Swahili is used so if you
follow along with the supplied dictionary in the
back, you'll have a basic knowledge, comes in handy
later for crossword puzzles.

Linsy
This book was phenomenal. Although a work of fiction, it has been said that this book is very true to the time of the Mau Mau uprising in Africa in the middle of the 20th century. Impeccably researched and beautifully written. Not a book for the faint of heart and not something that will make you feel happy; but, it will make you feel and stay with you for a very long time.
David Rheem Jarrett
Mar 31, 2014 David Rheem Jarrett rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults only
Recommended to David by: Self
One of the books that made a lasting impression on me, first read fifty years ago, written by a man who actually experienced life in Africa, and more particularly, Kenya, firsthand. His narrative of the lives of two childhood friends, one a white Englishman and one a native black Kikuyu, tells the story of the violent Mau Mau uprising against provincial English rule in the mid-1950s. It is not a book for the faint of heart or the squeamish, but from other accounts I have read of Africa from the...more
Mike
A slice of raw South African history, definatly not for the thinskined PC reader,or faint of heart.A real look at the thoughts of two oposing cultures,the start of all wars,the predictions of the fate of south Africa aluded to in the book are all too real, and this is woven into a great story.
Sharon Lyons
This book was one of the most influential books in my life with regard to understanding colonialism. It was years after I read it, when I came to understand what it had been about - as a young teenager without much teaching in real history, you don't get a lot of the subtleties of the world order and fading empires. This book, and The Real World of Democracy by CB McPherson should be read together.

The book shows how friends' lives can change dramatically because of the politics of their parents...more
Andrea
Feb 13, 2009 Andrea added it
Shelves: africa, kenya
This book was published in 1955, so the MauMau period in Kenya that it covers was contemporary at the time. That's the only excuse I can make for this hysterical, fear mongering and racist book. While Ruark depicts plenty of explicit, bloody violence on both sides, the white settlers only become violence in response to the primitive treachery of the "natives." If you want to know something true about this period, two recent non-fiction books are helpful: "Histories of the Hanged" by David Anders...more
Anne
Historical fictions are my favorite form of reading and they don't get better than "Something of Value". It is an extremely well written and historically accurate story; something all historical fictions should seek to be.
It takes place in Africa (Kenya), just after WWII, when the whole face of Africa was changing, after the British colonial period was losing its grip on the region. The relationship between the white colonials and the native Africans, which had developed an uncomfortable peace...more
Ross Morgan
On my second visit to Kenya in 2005 my cab driver told me how his grandfather fought for the British against German Askers as a soldier in the Kings African Rifles during WWI. His father and uncle then went off to fight for England in Burma during WWII. Being trained seasoned soldiers they were interned by the British sometime after the war after they had returned to Kenya. A visit to Mount Kenya – the land the Mau Mau was fought over intrigued me and reading this book, plus its sequel Uhuru pla...more
Philip
This is one of those books that I'd always had an interest in reading but never gotten very far with. This time around was the magic number, I guess, because after a slow start the pace picked up and I was engrossed. The descriptions of safaris and animal life in Africa are suberb and no doubt accurate, the descriptions of native ceremonies (they were very big on circumcision for both males and females) and, ultimately, the atrocities committed by both sides during the Mau Mau uprising, are vivi...more
Bill Gladstone
I appreciate Ruark's writing style and found this book interesting as it touches on history of Africa I have also read about. It is NOT for everyone as it is quite graphic in violence, descriptions of hunting experiences and mutilation. If you can get past these issues, the story line is very interesting.
Frances
This gives a very different view of the uprising. The main theme is the wish to retain tribal customs. Foremost is the universal circumsicm of 14 year old children. After the "ceremony" they were sent aside from the village for a period, to feed and otherwise fend for themselves while healing took place. Those who returned after the requisite period of time were welcomed as adults.

This custom is among the causes that is being brought to the world's attention now. Perhaps if the British had been...more
Krista
My husband suggested this book about the Mau Mau rebellion and I was initially reluctant. However, Ruark is a brilliant writer and immerses you in colonial Africa and the struggle between the natives and colonials. One of my all time favorites. It has some intense parts, but well worth the read.
Brian Trinder
A great read about how lives were completely changed by "the winds of change" in colonial Africa. I felt it could have been edited down to a 300 page book as in places it was a bit long winded. Well worth a read if you are interested in the change from European rule to Indigenous rule.
Pamela Thomas
Interesting and educational in the way of the early safari activities and the colonization of Kenya. Thought-provoking as to the impact of colonization on a savage and tribal nation. It led me to other books on the same topic, namely, Chinua Achebe's "Things Fall Apart".
Sven
In nl: Iets van waarde
Sterk epos dat een scherp beeld schetst van Afrika ten tijde van het Mau Mau conflict ahv het leven van twee vrienden. Een blanke en een zwarte wiens leven op een schrijnende manier beinvloed wordt door de geschiedenis.
Spannend en leerrijk.
Margaretann
My most favorite book ever....

No one is listening to the African proverb Ruark quotes in the preface - the crux of which is that if you take something away from a people (or a person) it must be replaced with something of value.
Gene

This is a reread for me... great book and author.. Robert Ruark.. second time, always better

About..Kenya.. the Mau Mau uprising in with a real good story about two blood brothers ( kids )
then into adulthood..
Paige
Interesting book, but a bit violent, all the same, good portrayal of what was going on in Kenya post World War II, also watched the movie with a young Sydnee Poirtee (sp?) and Rock Hudson.
Zack Hinckley
One of the four or five best books I've ever read. The ending was dynamite! Had a couple of the most appealing characters I've ever run across. Story of Mau-Mau in Central Africa. Wow!
Rob
Great book revolving around the Mau Mau uprising in Kenya that led to a post-colonial government. It's a work of fiction but captures the spirit of life in Kenya at that time.
Brian Dominic
Always was, and still is, one of my favorite books about a fascinating people and period in a land that I still know so little about. Unique and wonderfully described.
Richard
I just remembered I read this as a teenager. I was enthralled with all things revolutionary, and thought the Mau Mau were the cat's pajamas.
A Jardim
Read this book as a boy , and really enjoyed it ! One of my first "transitionary" reads from Famous Five and Hardy Boys to" grown up" novels !
Ed
A true classic capturing the tumult and tension of the Mau Mau revolt. Ruark is one the most under-appreciated authors of his era.
  • Where We Have Hope: A Memoir of Zimbabwe
  • Imperial Reckoning: The Untold Story of Britain's Gulag in Kenya
  • Tropical Gangsters: One Man's Experience with Development and Decadence in Deepest Africa
  • The Sand Pebbles
  • The Devil That Danced on the Water: A Daughter's Quest
  • Notes from the Hyena's Belly: An Ethiopian Boyhood
  • The Wanderer
  • The Book of Secrets
Robert Ruark was an author and syndicated columnist.

Born Robert Chester Ruark, Jr., to Charlotte A. Ruark and Robert C. Ruark, a bookkeeper for a wholesale grocery, young Ruark attended local schools and graduated from New Hanover High School in Wilmington, North Carolina. He graduated from high school at age 12 and entered the University of North Carolina at age 15. The Ruark family was deeply af...more
More about Robert Ruark...
The Old Man and the Boy Uhuru The Honey Badger The Old Man's Boy Grows Older Horn of the Hunter: The Story of an African Safari

“When we take away from a man his traditional way of life, his customs, hi religion, we had better make certain to replace it with
SOMETHING OF VALUE”