Start by marking “Prisoner (Kria, #1)” as Want to Read:
Prisoner (Kria, #1)

Prisoner (Kria #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,535 ratings  ·  134 reviews
A man whom all men fear...

General Dieter von Adolwulf has led the Scarlet Army of Kria to victory for the past decade, holding the infamous field known as the Regenbogen against Kria's hated enemies—the deceptive Illussor and the ruthless Salharans. War has waged between the three nations for longer than anyone can remember, but no one has held the Regenbogen as well as th
Published May 30th 2008 by Create Space Independent Publishing Platform (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Prisoner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prisoner

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I picked this up expecting an easy going fantasy/romance with the main focus on romance, but that is not the case. The balance between the romance and the fantasy aspects of the story was pretty good. Three separate romances played out in the background of war between three very different countries. The story had plenty of political intrigue, action, romance, and humor, all of which combined to hold my full attention.

The world building was fairly good. The three countries of Kria, Illussor, and
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Awesome! I really lost myself - in the best possible way - in this book. The world building was fascinating and interesting. There are three nations at war. Krians are warriors and rely on their swordsmanship to keep their enemies at bay. Salharans use drug-induced magic to attack and defend themselves and the drug they use (arcen) is addictive. Illussors are a people who owns a sort of natural magic, but their magic is causing problem to their population.

In this rich world, Dieter von Adolwulf
3,5 stars

Kria, Salhara and Illussor are caught in an endless war where swords fight against drug induced magic while spies and politics are scheming in the background.
One winter, Dieter, Beraht, Iah and Sol are brought together by fate in an unlikely but efficient and often amusing alliance which sides with Prince Matthias, Esta and Kalan “triumvirate”.

After an awkward beginning (8% is not much but still, enough to leave a strong impression), this book ended up being a very pleasant surprise w
T.A. Webb
Three countries at war. No one can really remember what started it, but generation after generation, Krian, Illussor and Salharan men and women are sent to the battlefield to die for a disputed piece of land held by Kria.

When General Dieter von Adolwulf, leader of the Scarlett Army of Kria, prepares his troops to leave the battlefield after a long summer campaign, escaping before winter, he never expects to have scores of his men killed in a cowardly ambush. He has the assassin brought to him, a
LD  Durham
Oh, dear. This book was a mess.

I've read other works by Derr before, and enjoyed them. So I'm not sure what to make of this one. First, the beginning twenty-five percent of the book is just scenes mashed together. The characters are introduced haphazardly with no real interest in getting my emotions or sympathies involved with them. Nothing is really explained, and the setting is completely left out. In one scene two characters are riding a horse, in the next they are suddenly in an inn, but I
This was my reread of the new edition. And it's still such an amazing story that sucked me in like I haven't already read it a bunch of times. Kick ass world building and characters that just draw you in and keep you turning the pages.

I definitely enjoyed the added scene between Dieter and Beraht at the end. *grins*

I think if the author put together a book of just short stories of them two I might actually die of a fangasm. ;)

Really though, I can't recommend this highly enough.

(ETA - Currently
Where do I start?

There are three parallel stories in this book, with a different love story in each one, and a prisoner of some sort. There are three nations at war:

Krians who trust on weapons.

Salharans who trust on pollution potions.

Illusors who trust on natural magic.

Dieter is a Krian general who captures a Salharan "responsible" for the death of his entire troop, and makes him a prisoner. The prisoner is at the edge of dying and at that moment Dieter names him Beraht. Beraht is determined to
The world building is mind blowing, the characters layered and complex, and yet there aren’t many words wasted on characterization: we gather information mostly from what happens or from past stories.
The synopsis says the main characters are Dieter von Adolwulf (the Wolf) and Beraht, but this book is about them just as much as it is about Sol and Iah, about Esta and about the Brothers (so creepy).
It is really not descriptive in smut, but I didn't find it a flaw, although I usually like my romanc
Dec 04, 2013 Nova rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nova by: Icedave
What a book!
I’m going to miss Sol, Iah, Beraht and Dieter. Especially Dieter! Most of the time he’s a bastard but he’s also impressive, proud, intelligent and strong. Dieter and Beraht “bickering” were some of the best scenes in the book. ;) And the rest? Intriguing and gripping. Loved it!
Nika (Off to Neverland)
My rating: 4.5 stars

Absolutely brilliant book! The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I wished that there was more romance between the MC's. Otherwise, it was amazing!
Aug 17, 2011 Bookwatcher rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy readers
"“Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind”
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Three different societies, fighting in an endless war

Krians force are their swords

Salharans are feared by their drug induced magic powers
[image error]

Illusors are recluse, avoiding both Krians and Salharans and the legend says they are powerful. They can use magic, and no one know how.

Forth General Sol de Vry (from Salhara), Captain Iah Cehaka (from Illusor), General Von Adolwulf aka The Scarlet Wolf
Valentina Heart
I loved the world. It was a bit annoying at first that the story transfered from one part of the country to the other, but once I got to know the characters it was actually interesting to see what the guys on the other side were doing.
Since it's written the way it is, I'm glad that there aren't any cliffhangers after every chapter. The story flows nicely and the characters are lovable enough to carry it.
Dieter is my favorite, his dangerous aura and appearance, as well as his rough treatment of
When I started this, I was expecting an mm romance loosely disguised as fantasy. This was so not what I got and in a good way. I loved the complex fantasy world Derr created. It took me a bit of time to figure out who the goodies and the baddies in the world were and I'm happy to say these qualities could be attributed to specific characters rather than any of the three nations featured in the story.

I found the characters quite intriguing. There were plenty of likable characters and a couple of
Wart Hill
I'm not really sure where to start for this review. I finished the book this morning and I've been mulling over what all I want to talk about, what I want to say. There's so much to say, though, and I don't know if I'm the best person to say it.

I doubt that made any sense, but here goes.

I loved this book.

The world is rich and beautifully crafted. Three very different societies come to life on the page, each of them developed and thought out and intriguing.

The characters. Oh the characters. I lov
I know I've said it before but I love Megan Derrs worlds.

This story was exciting and intriguing. A little hard to follow in the beginning due to the names but I'm sure that's just me.

The love angles were more secondary to the story but still a satisfying fix for my romantic side, although I had my doubts about how a certain one would play out. Of course by the end it all played out perfectly.

The real story was all in the 3 separate kingdoms and how they were ruled. Plenty of bloody fights and s
Deja Dei
I was so looking forward to this, and I was so disappointed. The characterization is nonexistent. The story is wonky with awkward transitions that left me utterly confused. The editing is abysmal. I can forgive a few typos in a longish book, but damn.

As another reviewer said, the world building is okay for romance, but not great for readers of fantasy. People who read fantasy are accustomed to much better. This is just my opinion, and I know alot of people like this book. I just expected so much
Oct 03, 2014 KatieMc rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: enemies to lovers lovers
3.5 stars. No, it's not as good as Captive Prince. But yes, it was a smart story with great world building, interesting characters, and a bit of UST. Overall it was a slow start, riveting middle, pretty good ending. It took a bit to get into the groove of the world which consists of 3 warring nations, each with their own approach to battle:
Kria - weapons
Illusor - magic
Salhara - drugs

Prisoner is a story where enemies find themselves glued together on a quest for the greater good. There is a fa
DNF - Snoozefest Central

2 1/2 stars. I'm feeling generous today, so I'm rounding up to 3.

This book is very popular amongst fans of gay romance/fantasy. For those of you who don't fit that description, don't worry -- there is absolutely NO sex in this book, of any description apart from a few sanitary kisses, and little romance over all. I think this book is popular, however, mostly because romance fans don't really have a firm grasp on what good fantasy is like.

This isn't really a baaaaad book. It's got three interest
This book is very useful for reminding writers why tact, careful consideration and a bucket-load of thorough editing are necessary. The mistakes here are numerous and inexcusable.

The setting is based in three countries; Kria, Illusor and Salhara. Mostly what we see is the first two, through traced out journeys across the lands. That said, they are much the same, being snowy and harsh, with the exception that Illusor has a lot less presence.
The customs of these countries were half-pleasant. Salha
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
Urgh. I have got to stop reading Ms Derr's books or my average rating will shoot up into impossibly high numbers because of all the 5-stars I give away. . . I probably need not say that I am officially obsessed with Megan Derr and Gaymance (as I call it, as opposed to the more "legitimate" M M Romance tag) and that if I find anyone to loves books (especially paranormal romance) as I do, I will try to introduce them to the Gaymance genre. In particular, Megan Derr.

Her books are always a damn plea
Crys Harris
This was a solid book with an good characterization and an intriguing plot that was occasionally slow. The plot slowed down then the interesting characters were not interacting. My biggest complaint about this story is that many of the interactions and dialogue is repetitious. Particularly the internal musings of the main characters. I think the physical violence between the main characters would have been somewhat more palatable, or at least believable in a relationship, if the author had intro ...more
Trisha Harrington
The book was very good and it drew me in. I took a while reading it because there was a lot going on and it was a bit confusing for me trying to keep up. The plot was well developed and there was 2 romances in the book which made me continue reading. I cannot say I loved the book but I am fascinated by it and cannot get it out of my head which is why it gets 5 stars. :)
"Why did you bother saving me?"
"Because you are mine."

I was under the impression by the blub that this was going to be full on epic fantasy. Unfortunately it very loosely fits into that genre. I need more fighting and I don't know, it was just lacking in the epic part I guess.

There is a lot of characters introduced in this one. In the first part of the book there's 7 different POVs going on. Each chapter was someone different. In the second part the characters are all in one castle so the
I picked up this book mainly because of all the good reviews of this book. Did it match up to my expectations? No, not really. Was it a good read? Sure.

The world-building was decent. There are 3 opposing countries: Illusor, Kria, and Salhara. All three have different cultures, which I enjoyed noting the differences in fighting, magic usage, language, and food. I got the gist of all of the characters and how they interacted. I grew fond of some of the people, even. Two of the main characters, Die
The Good: Intricate, exciting, plausible world-building. The interweaving of 3 fascinating societies. Excellent stage-dressing.

The Bad: Flat, one-dimensional characters who stubbornly refuse to grow and learn. Blink-and-you-miss-it "romance" between two main characters who need to be permanently separated for their own good. An overabundance of gay characters in unlikely circumstances. Neads moar pruf-reeding.

That third (and possibly second) star is purely for the excellent world-building, as th
Ran ♠
Sep 11, 2015 Ran ♠ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of enemies to lovers stories
4.25 stars!

One of the best enemies to lovers stories I've read. I fell in love with both main characters. I enjoyed this book so much, I couldn't help wanting more. Such a fun read and very endearing main characters. Megan Derr really knows how to write.

The quality of the writing, dialogue, and character development was really only a 3. I gave this one an extra star because I thought the concept and world building was fantastic. I'm sure the idea of chemically produced artificial magic has been done before somewhere but I have never come across it and found the whole thing fascinating. The political tension was good too.

As far as characters, they all started out brilliant, though I do feel Derr dropped the ball on Iah and Beraht. They were jus
Q&A with Megan Derr: ⚔ ⚔ Kria series ⚔ ⚔ 4 15 Jul 30, 2013 10:25AM
  • Guardian (Aisling, #1)
  • Mariner's Luck (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #2)
  • The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle, #1)
  • Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • The Lodestar of Ys
  • Kei's Gift (Darshian Tales, #1)
  • Counterpoint (Song of the Fallen, #1)
  • Cethe
  • Dynasty of Ghosts
  • Dragon Slayer
  • Strange Fortune
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords, #2)
  • Scorpion (Memory of Scorpions, #1)
  • Snowflakes and Embers
  • That Famous Happy End
  • The Emperor's Wolf
  • Battle of Will
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.
More about Megan Derr...

Kria (6 books)
  • Bound (Kria, #2)
  • The Bastard Prince (Kria, #3)
  • Devotion
  • Of the Forest
  • The Krian
The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly, #1) The High King's Golden Tongue Dance with the Devil (Dance with the Devil, #1) Dance in the Dark (Dance with the Devil, #2) An Admirer (Jewel Bonds, #1)

“No one can be miserable forever. No one is meant to be.” 6 likes
“Women always know everything; they like to hoard the information until it can be used to maximum effect.” 5 likes