Start by marking “Lives of the Artists: Portraits of Ten Artists Whose Work and Lifestyles Embody the Future of Contemporary Art” as Want to Read:

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  260 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Whether writing about Jasper Johns or Jeff Koons, Cindy Sherman or Richard Serra, Calvin Tomkins shows why it is both easier and more difficult to make art today. If art can be anything, where do you begin?

For more than three decades Calvin Tomkins’s incisive profiles in The New Yorker have given readers the most satisfying reports on contemporary art and artists available
Published October 28th 2008 by Henry Holt and Co.

To ask other readers questions about Lives of the Artists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lives of the Artists

Into Thin Air by Jon KrakauerSteve Jobs by Walter IsaacsonIn Cold Blood by Truman CapoteA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonThe Hot Zone by Richard Preston
Nonfiction pageturners
122nd out of 156 books — 38 voters
Buddha's Brain by Rick HansonCoffins on Our Shoulders by Dan RabinowitzThrive Fitness by Brendan BrazierCracking the Code by Thom HartmannA Mindful Nation by Tim Ryan
2013 D
10th out of 52 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Duc
This book confirmed that Richard Serra is a total Dick head. And I mean that as a compliment to the author for making it obvious in each paragraph. If you are a great artist you too can get away with this The title borrows from the classic Giorgio Vasari's 'Lives of the Artist'. Tomkins work allows him intimate access to the house and studios of these fine artists. The writing seems less serious then Vasari's. I attempt to read it long ago but it proved to be a snooze-fest. Perhaps I'll try to r ...more
Alex
A revealing compilation of essays on several prominent contemporary artists. I liked Tomkins' personal, conversational approach and general lack of judgment, but I would have liked a wider variety of subject matter. 10 different artists and only one woman, no people of color, and no one from outside of the American/European tradition- that seems narrow-minded to me.
Mary
Valuable to me for the sections about Richard Serra,
James Turrell and Jasper Johns, the three (of the ten
artists featured) who particularly intrigue me. I
skimmed the other sections with less interest, but
do consider this a useful compilation of Tomkins's
articles from the New Yorker. (I'd have called it
"Lives of Some Artists," though.)
Kathleen
I know art is a state of mind, but I've had a hard time understanding conceptual art. This book shows how conceptual artists take an idea and run with it, haphazardly, skillfully, lucratively -- confidently calling their escapades art. They are artists. They make art.
Painting -- been done, done, done...sculpture from stone -- so yesterday! But hey, I've got an idea! Float a dead shark in formaldehyde ... stick a circle of dead butterflies onto the wall ... consider ways to channel the elusive e
Susan
After reading this book I have a new found appreciation for Damien Hirst, more respect for Cindy Sherman, a reaffirmation of supreme apathy for Matthew Barney, a fascination of Maurizio Cattelan, and would someone please tell Jeff Koons to go away already.
Lindagriggsart
An amazing book. I don't entirely understand how Calvin Tomkins got such access to the inner lives and family lives of these contemporary artists. I guess that they sense he is not going to be judgmental. In his writing he leaves it the viewer to decide about the artists motives, etc. But even when some belligerent, insecure artist is yelling at Tomkin's wife Tomkins remains objective and sensitive to the artists quirks while honestly relating the circumstances.
It's a very special book that ch
Amar Pai
I've always liked Tomkins's artist profiles for the New Yorker, so I enjoyed reading this collection of some of the more high profile ones. Damien Hirst and James Turrell seem really cool, like they'd be fun to hang out with. Richard Serra and Jasper Johns on the other hand come across as real toolboxes. Serra in particular seems like a major dick.

Oh I guess I should list who's in here

James Turrell
Jasper Johns
Matthew Barney
Cindy Sherman
some italiano whose name escapes me
Damien Hirst
Julian Schnab
Monica
This book took me a long time to finish, since some parts of this book were more compelling than others. Many of the artists were hard to identify with on a personal level - I almost felt like Tomkins predisposed me to like or dislike the person, based on the way that he described each individual. I felt less inclined to pick up this book if I had to slog through a chapter about an artist whose personality or history was off-putting to me.

In some cases, I feel like I resonate better with the ar
Jose
Interessante coleção de minibios de artistas plásticos contemporâneos.... Nada em comum entre eles, nehum destino impresso numa grande bússola, a não ser gostos por arte precoces cuja intensidade indica que são bençãos do espaço sideral.

Destacaria a minibio de John Curry como uma das mais interessantes por desenrolar as inspirações e técnicas de um artista simplesmente figurativo - tão pouco escultórico, ou criador de instalações, vídeos, filmes.... com outros...

Pode-se sentir a presença de Duch
Will
new t-shirt?

Hirst&
Sherman&
Turrell&
Cattelan&
Koons.

Connie
Deeply insightful look at great modern artists
Shurooq Amin
The insight into the lives of the artists chosen for this book is valid, exciting, relevant. Though I knew about the work of - for example - James Turrell, Richard Serra, Mathew Barney - I was not prepared for the personal accounts of their everyday lives, or of how their thought process began and ended, if ever. I'm inspired by the lives of these artists and would read it again.
Andrea Paul Amboyer
So I've decided to write reviews now... If you like visual art, this book is great. Especially if you are kind of curious about artists' lives and you find stories about personal journeys and coming of age extremely motivating. This book has those things. It also talks a great deal about process and media.

If you don't like visual art, I'd suggest another book.
Jeff
Nov 29, 2014 Jeff rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Very well-written portraits of living visual artists. It was nice to revisit some of these fascinating profiles that I originally read in the The New Yorker. Tomkins has introduced me to some artists I wasn't familiar with (or so I thought) and has caused me to seek out their work, if only out of curiosity.
Derick Van
Excellent book outlining the lives of some of today's biggest artists and the way they became who they are. Very insightful and well written. As an artist living in NYC, this book opened my eyes up to a lot a new and exciting ideas. For a non artist, it might not be as compelling.
Carol
Jan 23, 2010 Carol rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Calvin Tomkins writes reviews on Art for the New Yorker. This book was a collection of previously printed articles he had done on Contemporary Modern artists. Each artist reviewed was different in their choice of medium, lifestyle, intellectual approach to art. I enjoyed this!
Brandon
A quick overview of the lives of a number of well known (read: rich) artists. Tomkins does a good job of talking about their lives and how they live while not getting bogged down in talking about the theory of the work that they make.
Mary
Reading this book was like finding an old friend for me. If you have any interest in the art world, this book is full of descriptive stories that gives you incite into who the artist moving the art world today, and what moves them.
David Macpherson
Tomkis just writes so well. I love how he shows the artists. He is always kind to his subjects, that is something you have to accept going in, but the vivd details are so amazing. Just love this writer
Pamela
This book was entertaining and well written, but it was already too out of date by the time it was published. The author needed to provide more current information from the time when the book was published.
Natalie
In the style of Vasari, this book is a biography of the world's greatest contemporary artists. I must read for art lovers. A great book to pick up and put down. You'll learn something each time.
Ryan Chapman
Simultaneously intelligent an an ease to read, this book is essential for any art fan. Even those casually interested will find many points of entry in Tomkins' essays.
Alaina

Highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in contemporary art. I can't wait to read more by Clavin Tomkins.
Michael
"A lot of people think art's weird and stupid. I want to get those people, get them to come in and go "AAARGH!"
-Damien Hirst
Sazuru
It was enlightening to see the trend or pattern in each artist's life long before fame obscured the roots.
Mimi
really good essays on contemporary artists, originally appeared as New Yorker articles.
Anca
I'd love to see an Elles version of this.
Ellen
Great essays on contemporary artists. I think most were published in the New Yorker.
by far the best thing i read in 2010. actual review coming... later.
  • Human Anatomy: A Visual History from the Renaissance to the Digital Age
  • Utopia Parkway: The Life and Work of Joseph Cornell
  • Conceptual Art (Phaidon Art and Ideas)
  • Wassily Kandinsky: 1866-1944 a Revolution in Painting
  • Mark Rothko: A Biography
  • David Bowie Is
  • Susan Sontag: Essays of the 1960s & 70s
  • Twenty-eight Artists and Two Saints: Essays
Calvin Tomkins is an author and art critic for The New Yorker magazine.

After receiving an undergraduate degree from Princeton University in 1948 he became a journalist. He worked for Radio Free Europe from 1953 to 1957 and for Newsweek from 1957 to 1961, before writing his first piece for The New Yorker in 1958. He joined the magazine as a staff writer in 1960.

(adapted from Wikipedia)
More about Calvin Tomkins...
Duchamp Living Well Is the Best Revenge (Modern Library) Off the Wall: A Portrait of Robert Rauschenberg The Bride and the Bachelors: Five Masters of the Avant-Garde The World Of Marcel Duchamp: 1887   1968