The Light Horseman's Daughter

The Light Horseman's Daughter

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  9 reviews
While resisting eviction from the Queensland family property at the start of the Great Depression, Emma McKenna's father is shot dead. Emma is left destitute, with her crippled mother and twelve-year-old twin brothers to care for. But she is not easily defeated and fights back.
In her struggle to survive she must overcome, heartless wealthy relatives, racial bigotry, child...more
Published (first published January 1st 2000)

Philip
For some reason this book reminded me strongly of Power in the Blood by Greg Matthews; though I recall the latter novel being much better than this one.

This novel takes place in Australia through the 1930s. This is the thing that made the book most interesting to me, as I realized I know very little of Australian history and was glad that the novel covered some of the things that were going on there and prompted me to go look up more information as well.

Beyond that, it just felt like I read this...more
Emily
Free for nook.

Where to begin... This book was first published in 2000, and was just released as an ebook. I hope that the numerous grammatical and punctuation errors that are present in the ebook were not present when people were actually paying for a physical copy of this book. At least every other page, there was a missed period, an additional word that rendered a sentence confusing or senseless, or a misused their/they're/there, your/you're, or its/it's. It was extremely distracting to me.

Tha...more
Melissa
The Light Horseman's Daughter is set in Depression- era Australia. The novel is expansive in scope, not simply focusing on the tumultuous life of Emma McKenna who watches her father shot dead when he tries to resist eviction from their land and home. At 19, she is left trying to support a crippled mother and twin younger brothers with no income and with her only extended family set on further ruining her family. From there the plot touches on the lives of the destitute victims of the depression...more
Tammy Jerig
A strong young woman overcomes great adversity in depression era Australia. Emma McKenna sees her father murdered and the family ranch taken away, then must provide for her younger brothers and invalid mother. Racism and elitism, fascist and communist beliefs all swirl around Emma as she works to bring her family back together and make an ordinary life for them all.
Lesli
Good story. Chock full of Australian history. As an American, I don't know how accurate the history is, but I have seen Rabbit Proof Fence and documentaries on Australia...the history feel accurate. The book ends a little abruptly and with a HEA that I wasn't expecting.
Denisa Howe
A wonderful story that starts out with a major happening. You get to fall in love with the characters second to a death that changes and begins it all...
Christina Drury
Outstanding read!! True to actual historical events and very captivating! Coundn't seem to putit down :)
Debbie
Debbie added it
Mar 17, 2014
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Kimmee
Kimmee added it
Dec 21, 2013
Katherine Roberts
Katherine Roberts marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Bufo Calvin
Bufo Calvin marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
DK
DK added it
Jul 24, 2013
Liza
Liza marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
Cindy Marie
Cindy Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2013
Blackbird REDCOAT Someday Soon Cloud Computing in Easy Steps Children of the Sun