Start by marking “The Light Horseman's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Light Horseman's Daughter

The Light Horseman's Daughter

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  9 reviews
While resisting eviction from the Queensland family property at the start of the Great Depression, Emma McKenna's father is shot dead. Emma is left destitute, with her crippled mother and twelve-year-old twin brothers to care for. But she is not easily defeated and fights back.
In her struggle to survive she must overcome, heartless wealthy relatives, racial bigotry, child
Published (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Light Horseman's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Light Horseman's Daughter

Philip
For some reason this book reminded me strongly of Power in the Blood by Greg Matthews; though I recall the latter novel being much better than this one.

This novel takes place in Australia through the 1930s. This is the thing that made the book most interesting to me, as I realized I know very little of Australian history and was glad that the novel covered some of the things that were going on there and prompted me to go look up more information as well.

Beyond that, it just felt like I read this
Emily
Free for nook.

Where to begin... This book was first published in 2000, and was just released as an ebook. I hope that the numerous grammatical and punctuation errors that are present in the ebook were not present when people were actually paying for a physical copy of this book. At least every other page, there was a missed period, an additional word that rendered a sentence confusing or senseless, or a misused their/they're/there, your/you're, or its/it's. It was extremely distracting to me.

Tha
Melissa
The Light Horseman's Daughter is set in Depression- era Australia. The novel is expansive in scope, not simply focusing on the tumultuous life of Emma McKenna who watches her father shot dead when he tries to resist eviction from their land and home. At 19, she is left trying to support a crippled mother and twin younger brothers with no income and with her only extended family set on further ruining her family. From there the plot touches on the lives of the destitute victims of the depression ...more
Teri Heyer
Jun 14, 2014 Teri Heyer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves historical fiction.
Recommended to Teri by: Amazon/Kindle
I finished reading 'The Light Horseman's Daughter' in the wee hours this morning. What an interesting, entertaining, informative and moving novel of historical fiction set in the turmoil of 1930s Australia. This is the first book I've read by David Crookes and I was pleasantly surprised. I have several more books by this author on my Kindles (my old Kindle Keyboard and my newer Kindle Fire) and I'm looking forward to reading them all.
Tammy Jerig
A strong young woman overcomes great adversity in depression era Australia. Emma McKenna sees her father murdered and the family ranch taken away, then must provide for her younger brothers and invalid mother. Racism and elitism, fascist and communist beliefs all swirl around Emma as she works to bring her family back together and make an ordinary life for them all.
Lesli
Good story. Chock full of Australian history. As an American, I don't know how accurate the history is, but I have seen Rabbit Proof Fence and documentaries on Australia...the history feel accurate. The book ends a little abruptly and with a HEA that I wasn't expecting.
Denisa Howe
A wonderful story that starts out with a major happening. You get to fall in love with the characters second to a death that changes and begins it all...
Christina Drury
Outstanding read!! True to actual historical events and very captivating! Coundn't seem to putit down :)
Ros
Ros added it
Jun 25, 2015
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Michelle Maher
Michelle Maher marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Lisad
Lisad marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Katherine Goodman
Katherine Goodman marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
J.E. Clymer
J.E. Clymer marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Abby Mitsche
Abby Mitsche marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Kristin Pickford
Kristin Pickford marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Alexandra Bogdanovic
Alexandra Bogdanovic marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Charla
Charla added it
Apr 17, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Kati
Kati marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Beyond All Price
  • Destiny (Spirit of Union #1)
  • Beyond the Bougainvillea
  • Face the Winter Naked
  • Reinventing Leona
  • Stealing Jake
  • Finding Grace
  • Delivery
  • Clear Blue Sky
  • Touched By Angels (Loveswept, No 538)
  • Legacy
  • The Triumph of Grace (Grace in Africa, #3)
  • Summer of Fire (Yellowstone, #1)
  • Chosen (Line of Descent #1)
  • Raising Motivated Kids: Inspiring Enthusiasm for a Great Start in Life
  • Admit One: My Life in Film
  • Homefires
  • From Ashes to Honor (First Responders #1)
Blackbird REDCOAT Someday Soon Cloud Computing in Easy Steps Children of the Sun