Listen To The Warm

Listen To The Warm

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Rod McKuen is a bestselling American poet, composer, and singer, instrumental in the revitalization of popular poetry that took place in the 1960s and early 1970s. This book is a collection of autobiographical and lyrical poetry by this contemporary American chansonnier.
Hardcover
Published January 1970 by Random House (first published August 12th 1967)

Hannah
It surprises me that so many people dislike McKuen's works! I love this poet. His words are so sensually full of love and loss and feeling that I don't understand how his poetry can't speak to everyone. But maybe that isolation for the ones that it does speak to is part of the beauty of the poetry.
Lori
Rod Mckuen ... no matter which collection of his poems I read, they are all so beautiful, full of love, and loss, and so tired, and so awake.

Breathtaking.
Heartbreaking.
Patrick Gibson
I picked up this book of poetry at a flea market. I sort of remember seeing copies of McKuens books around during the college years, but never succumbed to his populist oeuvre. I also remember people telling me I would like his “stuff.” Well, ‘stuff’ it certainly is. I don’t know how I would have reacted to this when I was in my teens, but probably the same way I reacted now—I gave it to the dog for a chew toy and self-prescribed an insulin shot. If all his poetry is like this, no wonder the nat...more
Lisamarie
I run hot and cold on this book. It was a gift I received from a teacher when I was in the sixth grade. When I re-read it now, I'm amazed -- some of the poems are hardly appropriate for a sixth grader, even one who may seem extraordinarily bright.

Still, there are poems that I can still recite from memory, passages that are forever written into my unconsciousness, interwoven with my own (difficult) life experiences.

From my favorite: THIRTEEN
"Listen. I don't apologize for being hard to know but ap...more
Tallsharon
Putting these on my online bookshelf is like leafing through a scrapbook of my life. This one is from my 20s, moving away from home, losing my virginity, drinking a little more than was good for me, crying at the drop of a hat, lost in the romance novels I had grown up on.

To lay down in the darkness and listen to the warm.

Says it all doesn't it.
Patresa
This book is an old friend from the sixties recently revisited. Who could forget the loving tribute to A Cat Named Sloopy? Reading through the poems re-inspired my love of poetry.
Christie
Remember this book? It was my first BEAT generation title. I loved Rod McKuen's raspy voiced-poetry. It reminds me of rain streaming down windows.
Daniel Dunn
McKuen is daring in his simplicity and it works beautifully.
Sarah Sammis
Listen to the Warm is a slim volume of poetry written by composer and singer Rod McKuen. I'm not familiar with his music but I liked the cheery cover and snatched it up from the Dublin library discard shelf. I read it almost immediately and enjoyed it thoroughly.

The poems cover McKuen's life in New York, his love life over the years and his appreciation for his one true friend, his cat. The poems are often times not much more than mood pieces but they still paint vivid but brief glimpses into li...more
Janet Lynch
Oh my God, I couldn't find a single poem, barely a turn of phrase that speaks to me in this book, and yet it was third on the bestseller list of 1968, just below the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook and the Random House Dictionary. The poems read like a guy wrote them who fell in and out of love very easily--one night to one-month stands, and recorded his musings. I imagine him in bed saying, "Hey babe, hold it a minute: I think I feeling something profound here and gotta write a poem." Later t...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I am, well, past 50....(picture blank and innocent look) and I have come to realize that usually when the words "coming of age" appear it's best to simply run the other way...book, movie, or TV, coming of age and I tend to move on, but, for me this was a sort of "coming of age discovery" about myself.

Every body loved Rod McKuen, I was supposed to love Rod McKuen, so I got this volume and I made a discovery.

I think Rod McKuen's work is.....crap. Just me and I'm sure Rod would cry all the way to t...more
Em
Oct 09, 2010 Em rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Em by: My Daddy
Shelves: own, poetry, read-2010, mckuen
Hieronymus Murphy
Back in the day I always found myself returning to three words to describe McKuen's oeuvre: warm, fuzzy — and limp. Girls loved his "sensitivity," while not a single guy I knew got past the first few pages. Just look at the gender divide in the reviews below.
Dani
This book was written in 1967 and some might say it doesn't stand up well. I have fond memories of reading McKuen's poetry when I was a teenager in the 1980s. The simplicity of it still appeals to me as an adult. The rawness of the emotion in the poems is easily understood and not hidden beneath dense metaphors.
I liked this book for the most part. There were definitely some interesting moments, things that caught me by surprise, inventive uses of language. But some of the poems came across as being very self-conscious and borderline cliche.
Debbie
I read this in the early 1970s and "liked" it, but I cannot honestly remember why. I don't think it would have the same appeal today. Sorry, Rod.
Ronald Wilcox
Second anthology of McKuen's poetry. Excellent imagery in many of the poems. Sensuous and evocative. A short book of pleasure.
Ellen Falls
I never really connected to these verses. It stands on my shelves as a mute testament to my mother's love, a gift on my 16th birthday.
Kathy Dils Kime-Boyer
Rod McKuen's books have been a favorite since childhood when my Aunt bought me this book, and 3 others to add to my collection.
Tim Petersik
It moved me in 1968 and still does. It's not high brow poetry, but your everyday person can relate to it.
Katie Herring
Many of these poems took the words right out of my mouth.

They're different and I love it.
Taylor
An unusal collection of love poems, a nice book to pick up and read on a rainy day.
Susan
Given to me by my first love. Seems sappy now but I loved it as a teenager.
Crystal
This is my favorite poetry book. It's so real, so plain, but still moving.
Sandy
I need to find my old copy and read A Cat Named Sloopy.
Anne
I love this book!! I re-read it all the time.
Linda
Sometimes there's a good reason why hell exists.
Gary4278
Good McKuen poetry - sensuous.
Anne Bomkamp
I love his writing and descriptions.
  • Collected Lyrics
  • Love Poems of Elizabeth and Robert Browning
  • If God Is Love: Rediscovering Grace in an Ungracious World (Grace Series, #2)
  • Leonard Cohen: Poems and Songs
  • Uncollected Poems
  • Bartlett's Familiar Quotations : A Collection of Passages, Phrases, and Proverbs Traced to Their Sources in Ancient and Modern Literature
  • Hags, Sirens, and Other Bad Girls of Fantasy
  • Crazy Jack
  • Myths and Legends
  • The Body in the Bookcase (Faith Fairchild, #9)
  • Last Laughs: Animal Epitaphs
  • How to Survive the Loss of a Love
  • Selected Poems and Letters
  • Something Big Has Been Here
  • Rumi
  • The Complete Poems
  • Rainbow's End
  • Strong is Your Hold
Rod McKuen (born April 29, 1933) is a bestselling American poet, composer, and singer, instrumental in the revitalization of popular poetry that took place in the 1960s and early 1970s.

Born Rodney Marvin McKuen in Oakland, California, McKuen ran away from home at the age of eleven to escape an alcoholic stepfather and to send what money he could to his mother. After a series of jobs, from logger,...more
More about Rod McKuen...
Stanyan Street & Other Sorrows Lonesome Cities In Someone's Shadow Caught in the Quiet Come To Me In Silence

“I've been going a long time now
along the way I've learned some things.

You have to make the good times yourself
take the little times and make them into big times
and save the times that are all right
for the ones that aren't so good.”
13 likes
“It's nice sometimes
to open up the heart a little
and let some hurt come in.
It proves you're still alive.”
11 likes