The Religion of Technology: The Divinity of Man and the Spirit of Invention

The Religion of Technology: The Divinity of Man and the Spirit of Invention

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Are religion and science really at war with one another? Not according to David F. Noble, who argues that the flourishing of both religion and technology today is nothing new but rather the continuation of a 1,000-year-old Western tradition. The Religion of Technology demonstrates that modern man's enchantment with things technological was inspired by and grounded in relig...more
Published April 1st 1999 by Penguin Books (first published September 16th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Religion of Technology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Religion of Technology

John Carter McKnight
An important thesis marred by (1) history-as-list and (2) heavy reliance on a handful of other secondary sources, the ones I'm familiar with being much more interesting and readable. Excessive use of analogizing and definition-switching, along with cherry-picking: in numerous instances historical figures acknowledged as secondary or trivial are quoted at length because they support the author's thesis. Marxism is covered in a single sentence.

Read Nye's _American Technological Sublime_ or Werthie...more
David
In Part I of The Religion of Technology, David F. Noble traces the development of modern science and technology (S&T) in terms of its religious roots, especially Christian millenarianism: the belief that history will culminate in a glorious thousand-year period of earthly peace and prosperity. This vision has been a powerful motivation to a wide variety of scientists, religious and secular.

Noble’s millenarian story provides a good introduction to the evolution of Christian thought regarding...more
Ethan
Makes you think about how humans ruin everything when we try to control ourselves without God. Touches on some hidden areas that are not covered very often. I wonder if some of the stuff he says is true, because he definitely had an agenda.
Katrinka
The focus wasn't exactly what I expected-- but the book was well worth the read, provided some surprising information about the religious leanings of many a scientist and organization, and sparked some research interests.
Lolotehe
Another book recommended to me that got me started on a David Noble kick. It helps explain why so many engineers are young-earth creationists, among other things.
Ryan
This book will change the way you look at all history, all religion, and all technology.
Fred
Fascinating subject, handled unevenly and rather superficially

I read this right on the heels of reading Ray Kurzweil's "The Singularity is Near", which makes for a fascinating juxtaposition. This book will be a good starting point for my own further research into the ideas presented. Basically, David Noble traces a history of the "religion of technology" in the West, from about 900 to the present day. He identifies a shift in Western Christian thinking around the 9th-10th centuries as the beginn...more
Ayla
Ayla marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Lily
Lily added it
Sep 09, 2014
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Nsl
Nsl marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Jabe
Jabe marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
rebecca
rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Aaron Fk
Aaron Fk marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Kloe Wu
Kloe Wu marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Thomas Kulig
Thomas Kulig marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
America by Design: Science, Technology, and the Rise of Corporate Capitalism Forces of Production: A Social History of Industrial Automation A World Without Women: The Christian Clerical Culture of Western Science Gallery of Best Resumes: A Collection of Quality Resumes by Professional Resume Writers Beyond the Promised Land: The Movement and the Myth