Start by marking “Rattlesnake Crossing (Joanna Brady, #6)” as Want to Read:
Rattlesnake Crossing (Joanna Brady, #6)

Rattlesnake Crossing (Joanna Brady #6)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  3,421 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
Sheriff Joanna Brady is the law in Cochise County, and she will never allow her personal trials to interfere with the job she was elected to do—especially now that death has invaded Bisbee, Arizona, and has shattered the small desert town's fragile peace.

A gun dealer has died violently, and his stock of high-powered weapons has been cleaned out. Suspicion falls upon ranche
Published May 1st 1999 by Avon (first published August 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Rattlesnake Crossing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rattlesnake Crossing

The Bean Trees by Barbara KingsolverAnimal Dreams by Barbara KingsolverWalks Away Woman by Ki LongfellowA Series of Small Maneuvers by Eliot TreichelDesert Heat by J.A. Jance
Novels Set in Arizona
7th out of 225 books — 86 voters
Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis CarrollEverything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'ConnorRipples Through Time by Lincoln ColeTo Sail Beyond the Sunset by Robert A. HeinleinThrough a Glass Darkly by Ingmar Bergman
Crossing Barrier(s) in Fiction Titles
21st out of 150 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Mar 01, 2016 Donna rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
I've read a few books in this series. This author seems to hover between 3 and 4 stars for me. Here novels are clean, content wise, and she seems to weave in a fair amount of adventure with the action to back it up, but this book was a little on the tame side for my liking (even though there was scalping in this one.) But that isn't really what I'm referring to. I liked this book, but it wasn't really a page turner for me.

I like the ease the author puts into her characters. They are well drawn
Sandra Strange
Jun 07, 2010 Sandra Strange rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Good series set in the country area where my daughter, Jana, lives. I like the characterization and the ideals. The mysteries are good puzzles, realistic, with a hint of jeopardy and adventure. They are for mature readers, with some language and frankness about feelings and sexuality (very tasteful and not usually explicit). in this novel, Sheriff Brady must solve the mystery of a gun dealer's death, involving shady characters and a weird quasi-religious community, at the same time she balances ...more
Jan 15, 2012 Renee rated it it was amazing
I don't read a lot of mysteries - I write fantasy romance and normally I read one of those two genres, but I found this on the "trade" shelf at work and thought I'd check it out. I am SO glad I did! This is not just a mystery book - this is a PEOPLE book, with complex true-to-life issues. Sheriff Brady runs the gambit from single-mom-working mom-woman boss ordering armed men around-dating after husband's death-what do in laws think of THAT? She has ISSUES - we all can relate to any of those!

Sheila Myers
Apr 28, 2016 Sheila Myers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Another exciting and suspenseful novel by JA Jance. I've read very few of of the books in this series in order and this is one of the early ones I just now got the chance to read. Besides following along with the crimes and how the sheriff's department solves the case, I enjoyed learning more about the family and friends of Sheriff Brady.
Jun 13, 2015 Megargee rated it liked it
About halfway through this sixth Joanna Brady mystery, an elderly woman complains to the Sheriff that Bisbee did not have so much violence under the previous (male) sheriffs.* And it is true that the body count grows to impressive levels by the time Joanna identifies the killer (not difficult) and cuts to the chase.
Fortunately for Joanna, her sharp tongued mother in law, new stepfather, teenaged daughter, and deceased husband's parents all happen to be out of town so she has time to focus on
Apr 24, 2014 Bookmom rated it it was amazing
Two cattle and a well pump shot by a sniper, shortly followed up with a report of a missing woman soon spirals into the discovery of gruesome murders; more than the department has ever handled at one time. And based on some insight from an FBI profiler, it sounds like Sheriff Joanna Brady and her department needs to work fast to prevent the death count from going even higher in a hurry.

I’ve been reading the books in this series back-to-back and one thing I’ve found necessary is to keep a box of
Leslie Nagel
Jun 21, 2016 Leslie Nagel rated it it was amazing
This crime scene stuck with me long after I finished the book. And in fact, when I went for that run along the old train tracks and first had the inspiration to write The Book Club Murders, I immediately thought of Rattlesnake Crossing, a book I'd read several years before. There I stood, a few blocks from my own home but utterly isolated down on that overgrown trail, nervously imagining how easily someone could commit murder in that spot and get away without a trace. And J.A. Jance's book just ...more
Sep 06, 2016 Alger rated it it was ok
A strange book laced with even stranger levels of over reaction. Nothing in this story is convincing.

Instead of making fun of this very thinly plotted book, which is weak in all the ways that I now think of as Jancian, I will comment on something else that is bothering me about this series.

Jance chose to locate this novel in an actual location. Cochise County AZ is in the southeast corner of the state, and has a population of more or less 100,000. This is convenient since violent crime statistic
Paris        (kerbytejas)
Dec 31, 2015 Paris (kerbytejas) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
I enjoyed the budding romance between Butch and Joanna, it added a bit of humanity to the grizzly side of the story
William Maya
Nov 29, 2015 William Maya rated it liked it
This is a good solid mystery with believable characters, well developed plot line, and plenty of suspense. However, for me there is one aspect of the author’s writing style that is the deal breaker and will keep me from reading any more of her books. Her effort to provide the rich detail of the characters and scenes of her book is over done. Instead of making me feel as though I am a fly on the wall vicariously part of the characters and story I feel as though I’m struggling through deep snow dr ...more
Aug 03, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
I probably would have given it a 3.5, or I'll give the author a 3.5 for her writing of it, but a 2.5 to the narrator. Listened to this on my iPod, and could hear pages turning, and all kinds of background noises. Why do some narrators do this? Don't they realize that all the heavy breathing, etc. interferes mightily with the listener's enjoyment of an audio book? I hope ALL of J. A. Jance's books are not read by the same women, as I would like to read more, but can't put up with the background n ...more
May 17, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, I look forward to the next book in the series...Joanna and her department have a serial-killer in Cochise County...her romance with Butch Dixon is heating always, a wonderfully paced story with great characters and sparkling descriptions of the Arizona high-desert areas...I want more!!!
Sep 11, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
Another excellent book in the Joanna Brady series! I hope we see a little bit more of the female County coroner, I believe her name is Fran. She really made me giggle. And of course the big steps in Joanna and Butch's relationship. That was really nice to see. Of course there were some sad things too, not least of which were the multiple murders within this book. It was a unique position to see JoAnn and Brady in because I don't believe she has dealt with this sort of a killer previously in the ...more
May 28, 2015 Joan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another wonderful mystery by Jance. Joanna's police are finding dead, scalped women in the desert. The women have been shot from more than a mile away. Joanna is also investigating the death of an arm's dealer who has been found dead with a bag over his head. All his guns are gone. Joanna discovers he was gay with AIDS. Joanna's personal life is changing, Butch is moving near her to be an author. Her best friend, Marion, has adopted twins, but one of the girls is ill. I like the Joanna Brady boo ...more
Mar 15, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it
#6 in the Joanna Brady series. Joanna is the sheriff of Cochise County, AZ. This is a series featuring a law enforcement officer in a contemporary, rural Southwest sheriff's department. The characters age and their attachments grow. J.A. Jance's Cochise County, AZ compares nicely with Steven F. Havill's Posadas County, NM and Bill Crider's Blacklin County, TX.

Sheriff Joanna Brady is under pressure to stop the carnage. Her adventure begins with the discovery of a gun dealer's body. His stock of s
Scott Whitney
Jun 29, 2010 Scott Whitney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the way this author puts her mysteries together. She weaves the story together and remains true to the setting. Living in Cochise county, I can picture the setting while reading the story.
Sep 20, 2014 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-a-jance-read

Put on top of that
Linda Watkins
Jan 02, 2016 Linda Watkins rated it really liked it
Another Sheriff Joanna Brady book in the series, #6. Really enjoyed it. Joanna finally got a cell phone, thank God. I find in modern literature I need my characters to at least have cell phones. Another tangled mystery that I was unable to work out right up to the end. I pride myself on being able to work out the who-done-it before the author hands me the answer. This one just didn't play out the way I expected. If you like mysteries set in the modern west, I think you will like this one.
Oct 16, 2015 Joggingt rated it really liked it
J.A. Jance's writing is simple, sometimes to the point of being too simplistic. Her plots, however, keeps you engaged and speculating as to the culprit. In addition, her ability to include emotions, religion and suspense are remarkable in that the book does not become maudlin. In this book, Sheriff Brady deals with 6 deaths of incredibly different people and circumstances while still dealing with the death of husband in the not too distant past.
Mary Quattlebaum
Jan 09, 2016 Mary Quattlebaum rated it it was amazing
Mystery/romance/thriller. A strong story with murder and mayhem love and loss. Friendships help get the characters through the hard times. A psychotic killer is making the sheriff work overtime. Land disputes and gun running intersperse the story. The medical examiner has a fill-in and she isn't the easiest person in which to communicate.
Nancy Ellis
Feb 09, 2016 Nancy Ellis rated it really liked it
There's a pretty high body count in this fast-moving mystery and some pretty gruesome murders. But there's also some dark humor sprinkled throughout. Along with these complicated murders, Sheriff Joanna Brady's life is becoming complicated with romance that she's not sure she is ready for. As always, a fairly light, enjoyable read!
Stephanie Benoit
This one was a little gruesome and sad at times. I liked to hear one story line being developed and sorry that another one was ignored mostly which I won't reveal here in this setting. I'm sure there are plenty of other places you can read a synopsis. I'll move onto the next...
Jul 09, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing
I am working through the entire series in order. Joanna Brady, her family and friends, colleagues, and non-friends are an interesting group. The crimes, criminals, and victims combine into complicated, mostly un-guessable situations.
Jan 22, 2016 Arlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First book I've read by this author. Very good and kept me gripped all the way through. I liked the personal side - her daughter Jenny. I liked Shreiff Joanna Brady. Will definitely read other books by J A Jance.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Joanna Brady is a tough female sheriff in Arizona. She and her daughter have the support of her parents, but not always of the community. If you haven't discovered JA Jance and her many series, give them a try.
May 05, 2013 Jane rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-books
I must stop reading random books from a series as it always feels that the author is assuming that you have a previous history with the hero/heroine of the series.

On this occasion I have read a previous Joannna Brady book so knew the characters and some of their history so at least wasn't coming to this one completely cold. I really enjoyed the story, random shooter and seemingly unconnected victims, and didn't see the ending coming which is always a bonus but felt the back story was just tagge
Aug 03, 2016 Marianne rated it really liked it
Another great book in the Joanna Brady series #6 ... all characters are maturing and developing distinct identities for the rest of the series ... without another word, on to #7 ...
Lynn Sykes
Sep 14, 2016 Lynn Sykes rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure when I started this series that I would like it as well as the other two by Ms. Jance. I was wrong. I love it just as much. She writes such interesting stories.
Feb 09, 2011 Marti rated it really liked it
This was very nicely done. There was a little romance between Joanna Brady and Butch Dixon, her mother and new husband the coroner are on their honeymoon, and her daughter Jenny is visiting relatives in Oklahoma during summer vacation, so that the story can concentrate on the murders which are happening around Bisbee, Arizona. Butch seema to be the ideal person to have a relationship with Johanna--he is thoughtful and doesn't resent when her duties call, and she can't spend time with him, and si ...more
Lynn Parker
Feb 13, 2014 Lynn Parker rated it really liked it
I love this series! Easy to read and though each "detective" story is a bit predictable they have a great protagonist heroine and real homey characters!
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Hunting Badger (Leaphorn  & Chee, #14)
  • A Bloodhound To Die For
  • Ill Wind (Anna Pigeon, #3)
  • Dead Midnight
  • Killing Raven (Wind River Reservation, #9)
  • Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, #6)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...

Joanna Brady (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Desert Heat (Joanna Brady, #1)
  • Tombstone Courage (Joanna Brady, #2)
  • Shoot Don't Shoot (Joanna Brady, #3)
  • Dead to Rights (Joanna Brady, #4)
  • Skeleton Canyon (Joanna Brady, #5)
  • Outlaw Mountain (Joanna Brady, #7)
  • Devil's Claw (Joanna Brady, #8)
  • Paradise Lost (Joanna Brady, #9)
  • Partner in Crime (J.P. Beaumont, #16 / Joanna Brady, #10)
  • Exit Wounds (Joanna Brady, #11)