Rattlesnake Crossing (Joanna Brady, #6)

Rattlesnake Crossing (Joanna Brady #6)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  2,280 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Rattlesnake Crossing is J.A. Jance's sixth novel in the acclaimed Joanna Brady series (readers may also be familiar with her Seattle-based J.P. Beaumont series). Brady is no tough-talking V.I. Warshawski or Kat Colorado; her appeal lies in her willingness to admit that her Cochise County sheriff's uniform is often an uneasy fit. As the single mother of a young daughter, Br...more
Mass Market Paperback, 385 pages
Published May 1st 1999 by Avon (first published August 1st 1998)

The Bean Trees by Barbara KingsolverWalks Away Woman by Ki LongfellowAnimal Dreams by Barbara KingsolverThe Host by Stephenie MeyerPigs In Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver
Novels Set in Arizona
39th out of 95 books — 51 voters
Turtle Wish by Murielle CyrThe Reptile Room by Lemony SnicketHoles by Louis SacharThe Tortoise and the Hare by Janet StevensCrocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters
Calling All Reptiles!
91st out of 109 books — 39 voters

More lists with this book...

Renee
I don't read a lot of mysteries - I write fantasy romance and normally I read one of those two genres, but I found this on the "trade" shelf at work and thought I'd check it out. I am SO glad I did! This is not just a mystery book - this is a PEOPLE book, with complex true-to-life issues. Sheriff Brady runs the gambit from single-mom-working mom-woman boss ordering armed men around-dating after husband's death-what do in laws think of THAT? She has ISSUES - we all can relate to any of those!

Put...more
Sandra Strange
Good series set in the country area where my daughter, Jana, lives. I like the characterization and the ideals. The mysteries are good puzzles, realistic, with a hint of jeopardy and adventure. They are for mature readers, with some language and frankness about feelings and sexuality (very tasteful and not usually explicit). in this novel, Sheriff Brady must solve the mystery of a gun dealer's death, involving shady characters and a weird quasi-religious community, at the same time she balances...more
Bookmom
Two cattle and a well pump shot by a sniper, shortly followed up with a report of a missing woman soon spirals into the discovery of gruesome murders; more than the department has ever handled at one time. And based on some insight from an FBI profiler, it sounds like Sheriff Joanna Brady and her department needs to work fast to prevent the death count from going even higher in a hurry.

I’ve been reading the books in this series back-to-back and one thing I’ve found necessary is to keep a box of...more
Mark
As always, I look forward to the next book in the series...Joanna and her department have a serial-killer in Cochise County...her romance with Butch Dixon is heating up...as always, a wonderfully paced story with great characters and sparkling descriptions of the Arizona high-desert areas...I want more!!!
Ed
#6 in the Joanna Brady series. Joanna is the sheriff of Cochise County, AZ. This is a series featuring a law enforcement officer in a contemporary, rural Southwest sheriff's department. The characters age and their attachments grow. J.A. Jance's Cochise County, AZ compares nicely with Steven F. Havill's Posadas County, NM and Bill Crider's Blacklin County, TX.

Sheriff Joanna Brady is under pressure to stop the carnage. Her adventure begins with the discovery of a gun dealer's body. His stock of s...more
Scott Whitney
I like the way this author puts her mysteries together. She weaves the story together and remains true to the setting. Living in Cochise county, I can picture the setting while reading the story.
Jane
I must stop reading random books from a series as it always feels that the author is assuming that you have a previous history with the hero/heroine of the series.

On this occasion I have read a previous Joannna Brady book so knew the characters and some of their history so at least wasn't coming to this one completely cold. I really enjoyed the story, random shooter and seemingly unconnected victims, and didn't see the ending coming which is always a bonus but felt the back story was just tagge...more
Marti
This was very nicely done. There was a little romance between Joanna Brady and Butch Dixon, her mother and new husband the coroner are on their honeymoon, and her daughter Jenny is visiting relatives in Oklahoma during summer vacation, so that the story can concentrate on the murders which are happening around Bisbee, Arizona. Butch seema to be the ideal person to have a relationship with Johanna--he is thoughtful and doesn't resent when her duties call, and she can't spend time with him, and si...more
Lynn Parker
I love this series! Easy to read and though each "detective" story is a bit predictable they have a great protagonist heroine and real homey characters!
Donna Mcnab
Sheriff Joanna Brady's personal life is changing. Her mother is away on an Alaskan cruise for her honeymoon, having married without letting Joanna know. Jenny is away with her paternal grandparents for a holiday, and Joanna finally feels herself healing from the murder of her husband, Andy, to start to relax and let herself feel for Butch Dixon. While all this is happening, there is a serial killer on the loose and Joanna is trying to figure out who the killer is and stop him from any further ki...more
Cynde mitchell
I read this on the 4th but just now reviewing it.
I gave up trying to read these in order as I can't get them all from the libraries.
JA Jance is a new author to me as I've only just started reading her books.This one deals with a serial killer and a new relationship for her.Jenny,her 11 year old daughter is in Oklahoma with her paternal grandparents at a family reunion.Her mother is on her honeymoon with the coroner and her best friend's adopted daughter is in the hospital.Now stir all this up an...more
Betty410
Sheriff Joanna Brady is really getting broken in as a new sheriff in this yarn. Someone is madly killing off the citizens of her County and she has to get used to the Medical Examiner from the next area. Her Mother is on a honeymoon with the Doc she's familiar with. To add further interest, Joanna is finding that she has a new Male interest so maybe she is getting over the grief of losing her husband, who would have been the sheriff.
Included at the end is an excerpt from the next story, "Outlaw...more
Kay
good book. love the ongoing character development. looking forward to rest of series.
Anwnh5
Still like this series and am really glad I am reading it in order.
Kat
Really enjoying this series.
Marca
Joanna Brady. A local firearms dealer is robbed and murdered. This is followed by sniper attacks resulting in death and there is no shortage of suspects. Joanna suspects a serial, but who? The county is full of likely psychopaths. In this tale, Butch starts to get serious and Paster Marianne and her husband experience a tragedy. I generally do not like personal baggage in mysteries, but Jance does it pretty well. I am getting a bit annoyed by the character of Joanna's mother, however.
Will
I'd have given this one 4 stars, except that the crimes are gratuitously gruesome, in my view. That's pretty much true of the entire Joanna Brady series, compared to the good old boy J.P. Beaumont series. Nevertheless, I've gotten hooked, due to the characteristic Jance character development. You really come to know and appreciate the main characters, and you want to find out what happens to them next, and to live with them through their joys and their sorrows.
Gee-Gee
Joanna Brady seems to be someone I know, real fears and concerns, real struggles to balance work and time with her daughter, real struggles with being a widow and trying to determine if she is ready to date. I live in AZ part-time, so I enjoy the setting and learning more about the state I am growing to love.
If you admire a strong woman who doesn't always realize how strong she is, a smart woman, a caring woman, this series and this book is for you!
Vicky
Another series that I really enjoy. Sheriff Joanna Brady in Arizona gives you mysteries that aren't connected to a specific profession or animal. this series is fun because you see the same characters book after book, and sometimes makes the reader look at issues in a different way. The endings are fun and not always predictable.
Stacey
Good, solid mystery. I have only read the 6 Joanna Brady books by J.A. Jance but have enjoyed them very much. Joanna is a likeable character who I have found is believe able in her role as a fairly 'green' sheriff. I've read all of the J.P. Beaumont books and find Jance's writing very different between the two series. I don't imagine that is an easy thing to do.

I figure these books will only get better!
Richard Brand
And so it goes. We continue the stories and they do evolve. A new level in the romance with Dixon. The death of one of the twins. Angie and her boy friend do not get much play but they are still together. These for me just continue to be good stories. This one's ending was a little tamer and Joanna did not have to be the hero. In fact I kind of liked the way the mother got revenge.
Jenn
Another good Sheriff Brady book. This one had lots of suspects as well as side stories. A gun dealer dies and the murderer is taking pot shots at animals and then shoots a person which is so much better. The side stories are sad and uplifting. Her bf's daughter is sick and ends up in the hospital and Butch says he's moved nearby. I am excited for the next installment.
Susi
I am enjoyed this book. It is set in AZ and I enjoy reading about the places that I know. It is a mystery and the sheriff of the county is a woman, which I also like. I think it is an above average mystery and cop series. I liked it. You could really visualize the woman sheriff doing everything that Jance writes. So, I recommend it for people who like this genre.
Debbie
Good enough mystery and definitely kept my interest. I really enjoy a book when I get to know the characters well. This book seems to just skim over character development. Maybe because they are on going characters and if I had read previous books I would know them better?
I enjoyed reading about the areas where scenes were taken place since recently visiting AZ.
Mary
This is my favorite book in the Joanna Brady series to date! This book is very character driven but also has a good mystery. I guessed at the murderer early on but it did not detract from my enjoyment of the book. I love Butch and Joanna together. There are some sad parts but this book is very down to earth and realistic. Highly recommended. A fast read!
Julia B
Found a new author I like. If you like criminal mysteries, this author is pretty good. The author has two main characters and there are books focusing on each character. One is JoAnna Brady, the sheriff of a small town in Arizona. The other is JP Beaumont, a Seattle homicide detective. Good easy reads.
Raygan
I thought it started off slow but then when it picked up it turned to once again a great page turner.
Joy
Miriam
This was the best one yet! Highly recommended to read in order though.
Sonia
I have been reading the Joanna Brady series and have enjoyed them, it's a decent representation on the genre. I have to say I enjoyed it more because it was more about Joanna and less about the relationship with her mother and her daughter, Jenny, which I find annoying to say the least.
  • Hunting Badger (Navajo Mysteries, #14)
  • Hunting Season (Anna Pigeon, #10)
  • A Wild and Lonely Place (Sharon McCone, #16)
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
  • Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, #6)
  • The Angel Maker (Boldt/Matthews, #2)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann...more
More about J.A. Jance...
Desert Heat (Joanna Brady, #1) Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont #1) Betrayal of Trust (J.P. Beaumont, #20) Fire and Ice (J.P. Beaumont, #19 / Joanna Brady, #14) Partner in Crime (J.P. Beaumont, #16 / Joanna Brady, #10)