Start by marking “Goodbye, Jimmy Choo” as Want to Read:
Goodbye, Jimmy Choo

Goodbye, Jimmy Choo

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,801 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
Under normal circumstances, bohemian, skint Izzie Stock would never have met Maddy Hoare, a Gucci-clad, Beemer-driving urbanite. Their backgrounds and values appear to be a million miles apart. Then, due to their respective husbands' careers, both women are dumped into the English countryside, fish out of water with five young children between them. They are thrown togethe ...more
Published 2004 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about Goodbye, Jimmy Choo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodbye, Jimmy Choo

Laurel Osterkamp
Izzy and Maddy are both feeling stuck. Izzy’s husband Marcus is out of work and their marriage is in trouble. Maddy doesn’t know what is going on with her husband, but he has been working late quite a bit and seems distant. To make matters worse, both Izzy and Matty have been forced to live in the English countryside, in a community where they both feel out of place.

When they meet each other at a child’s birthday party the two women feel an instant connection and decide to become friends. Then t
Leah
Sep 16, 2009 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2009
Goodbye, Jimmy Choo was Annie Sanders’ first novel but the third I’ve read (after Warnings of Gales and Busy Woman Seeks Wife – both of which I loved). It tells the story of Izzie and Maddy, two women who end up in the countryside but yearn for London life. After a tragedy and a surprise discovery, the girls end up in a whole new direction…

While I enjoyed Goodbye, Jimmy Choo, I don’t think it was as good as Warnings of Gales and Busy Woman Seeks Wife. It took me quite a while to get into the nov
Lyz
Mar 23, 2013 Lyz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Remember the Carnival cruise ship, Triumph, that was stranded in the Gulf of Mexico for 4 days? I was on that ship. Four days with no potties, no electricity. I did have Goodbye, Jimmy Choo. I will say that considering the circumstances, this was a somewhat enjoyable distraction. However....if I had been on a cruise that was not stranded, this book would not have kept my attention. There's nothing "wrong" with this book, except that it is VERY predictable. There's a little twist towards the ...more
Sunny
May 20, 2013 Sunny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Building a multimillion dollar company with no prior business experience in less than a year? Improbable. Posing for photos in your garden, destined for the British consumer marketplace, and no one notices the cabbages in the plot are from the supermarket, instead of actually growing from the ground? Impossible. Plus, I really despised the ending. Izzy's choice of man to end up with was just plain revolting to me. Please, if I'm going to have to suspend disbelief this much to get through a book, ...more
Hannah Karpinski
Jan 18, 2015 Hannah Karpinski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like fashion but are torn between that and the country!
Shelves: favorites
Fantastic - put your heart to something and it'll work out.
Sep 06, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘Goodbye Jimmy Choo’ was the first book written by Annie Sanders [Annie Sanders is actually two people, Annie Ashworth and Meg Sanders] and I am now a big fan. It’s the story of an unlikely friendship which develops being two women, Maddy and Izzie, both of whom find themselves virtually friendless and living in the country having left their former city lives behind them.

Maddy is a very glamorous mother of three with a beautiful house in the country, loving husband and live-in Nanny. She’s used
jillian
Feb 04, 2009 jillian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
This book had nothing at ALL to do with Jimmy Choo shoes. The title indicates that it's about women who move from the city to the country, and, as country moms, have to give up their stilettos. In reality, it's about two women who start their own business, bond, see each other through crises, and eventually end on a happy, financially solid note. It's a better book than the title indicates, as chick lit goes.
Kari
Jan 03, 2008 Kari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. A tad more substantive than a "beach read" but yet not a book you had to THINK through. Tough topics made a little lighter with the glow of friendship. I will say there were a few pages where it dragged but I still needed to know how things would come a completion so it compelled me to finish. A good overall story --- who doesn't enjoy strong women getting stronger together?!
Andi
Feb 16, 2015 Andi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
2.5 stars. While I liked that this story was about friendship and perseverance, it was far too long. The middle section could have had 100-150 pages cut without missing anything.
Katie
Apr 08, 2016 Katie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I saw this book it was tough to resist 26 It had about half a dozen BEAUTIFUL shoes on the cover and it was written by a British author (and I love British humor), so looked like it'd be terrific chick lit. Wrong. It was pretty terrible. First, Anne Sanders is actually two women who collaborated to write this book. If those women aren't good enough authors to write books on their own, then why would I think they'd be good together? The story was just really dumb. It wasn't funny like I expe ...more
Briana
Aug 13, 2007 Briana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book... a bit Pollyanna-ish, but isn't that what we want from chick lit? Actually, this book does deal with some tough subjects, but they are dealt with in a way that is still fun to read.
Diana
Mar 01, 2008 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel terrible admitting how much I enjoyed this. A mindless and fun read. I love cosmetics and beauty and this basically dealt with two women creating their own brand and rise and fall of that.
Paula
Mar 09, 2008 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very easy read but a very interesting one...not your typical "no brainer"....but close!! Very, very enjoyable!
Cheryl
Jul 26, 2007 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
This was a perfect beach read - well paced story of two friends. Think chick lit that is slightly more mature.
Elizabeth
Chick-lit isn't typically realistic but this book made me roll my eyes in several spots. First, Maddy seems to get over her grief in record time, only remembering a couple times throughout the book the she lost her spouse.

Second, one day out of the blue they make some creme and all of a sudden it is a best seller? Within a week of them being in the news they have several employees working for them? Within a few months they have enough for new cars and a nanny?! Sure...

The author had to take Madd
Rebecca
Feb 22, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun...a good vacation read.
Shelly
Good chick lit!
Alissa
Apr 07, 2008 Alissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alissa by: My dear Diana
The first fluffy read that was also extremely interminable. Seriously--I thought this book was never. going. to. end. It just seemed to go on and on, like Harry Potter when they're finding the corcruxes.

That said, I read it while I was blowdrying my hair and moisturizing in the morning and around 3:00, when I was getting sleepy. It's a fun book, but this makes me think of the previously named chick lit genre that now is full of authors who write fluff but *with substance.* The books end up bein
Rebecca
Jun 25, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
This title is more crappy then the book ended up being. Two women who live outside of London (but that is what they have in common ends) end up becoming friends. They have kids about the same age and both dislike the rest of the neighbourhood mothers. One of the women is "glamorous" from London who moves to the country so her husband (who ends up dying, whoops, spoiler!) can start his own business. But because he dies, she is now stuck somewhere she doesn't want to be. And her husband kind of fu ...more
Lin
May 25, 2012 Lin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There's potential here, but it bogs down in lots of telling instead of showing. There's also a lesson here that two authors don't necessarily make the book twice as good; instead, it seems to have led to uneven writing. The bones are good. The name-dropping, however, probably won't hold up over time -- and it certainly didn't translate across the pond. Much of my reading was flipping pages filled with references that meant nothing to me to get on with the plot. I liked seeing Izzy stand up to th ...more
Mar 26, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is currently wearing a pair of Jimmy Choo's
Shelves: read-2009
Somewhere in this rather rambling, brand-name-dropping novel (though most of the brands were British ones I didn't know) lies the bones of a good solid story. Maddie and Izzie, two very different women, both forced to move to the country by their spouses, find friendship initially through their longing for London. However, a tragedy brings them closer together and an old recipe book in French belonging to one of Maddie's long dead relatives gives them the idea of starting a small cosmetics busin ...more
Hannah Ward
Jan 12, 2015 Hannah Ward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by Annie Sanders, it is written by two friends called Annie Ashworth and Meg Sanders. I found this book a great read especially as it had family problems that everyone can relate to, but it was also funny and emotional. I loved the two main characters Izzie and Maddy and liked how there friendship evolved. I will be looking out for more of these books.
Christine
Aug 29, 2011 Christine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
Maddie and Izzie are both housewives new to the country lifestyle when they move to small town Ringford. Being a self-described “free spirit” Izzie has a little bit of an easier time of it. For Maddie the move is made almost unbearable when her husband unexpectedly dies leaving her not only alone, but facing a mountain of debt she knew nothing about.

A good story always involves a little bit of happenstance. In this case it is the discovery of a secret skin cream recipe in an old book belonging t
Anita
Nov 11, 2014 Anita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it a bit unclear what the focus of the story was for a lot of the book (I think it's hard for two writers to create a single narrative). I didn't invest in the characters for a long time. But the denouement was interesting.
Prue
Aug 16, 2014 Prue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the characters but it felt long. It kinda got stuck in no mans land for a while but redeemed itself towards the end. A little bit deeper than the usual chick-lit and journals the development of a beautiful friendship.
Alex G.
Jun 29, 2014 Alex G. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very predictable, unrealistic and not very original, with an epilogue that will make you cringe. The whole French part of the plot was utterly ridiculous - and this comes from a native to Southern France- the French "dialogues" even contained *grammatical* mistakes.
Paulette Gauthier
Very boring book. Everything was so far fetched and all their deadlines stressed me out. Many of the British words or sayings were very unfamiliar to me. The French translations however were very well done.
Karen Peterson
I truly enjoyed this book. It was light enough but had great characters. Some times I just want to read a book that I don't have to think too much about. This was it and I loved it.
Susan Banner
A fun summer romp. The only complaint I have is that the climax was drawn out too long, making it a bit redundant. Lovely story of friendship and creative energy.
  • Accidental It Girl
  • The Best Day of Someone Else's Life
  • Fashionistas
  • Gucci Gucci Coo
  • The Baby Trail
  • The Thin Pink Line (Jane Taylor, #1)
  • Tales of a Drama Queen (Drama Queen, #1)
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • Momzillas
  • Three Bedrooms In Chelsea
  • The Yummy Mummy
  • Frenemies
  • Single White E-Mail
  • Honeycote (Honeycote, #1)
  • The Wag's Diary (WAGs Diary, #1)
  • The Right Address
  • Dog Handling
  • Because She Can
Annie Ashworth and Meg Sanders met at ante–natal classes and bonded as they learnt the benefits of raspberry leaf tea and relaxation breathing. Neither remedy worked but a friendship was born.

Annie's background is in advertising copywriting and journalism. She cut her teeth on a great little magazine called Southside, and put in the journo donkey work at Essentials, editing knitting patterns, and
More about Annie Sanders...