Start by marking “Star Trek: The New Voyages, 2 (Star Trek Adventures, #6)” as Want to Read:
Star Trek: The New Voyages, 2 (Star Trek Adventures, #6)

Star Trek: The New Voyages, 2 (Star Trek Adventures #6)

This is an original 1977 paperback featuring the Original Star Trek characters.
Mass Market Paperback, 252 pages
Published January 1978 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek

Michael
Dec 16, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
One of the earliest collection of fan-written Star Trek stories, with a contribution from Nichelle Nichols, too. There are some hits and near-misses here, but a few of the adventures are solid and page-turning. "Cave-in," showcases Spock's very dry humor and veiled irritation with Kirk. "In the Maze," could easily be made into a first-rate episode. The best of this compilation has to be "The Sleeping God," dealing with a faceless and silent enemy with flashbacks on a Dune-epic timeline.
Mike McDevitt
Oct 26, 2011 Mike McDevitt rated it it was ok
"Surprise!"- Uhura sees Kirk naked! Tee hee!

"Snake Pit"- Christine Chapel saves Kirk by fighting snakes. Naked! Tee hee!

"The Patient Parasites"- Ever read a script too uninspired to be an episode of the animated series? I have now.

"In the Maze"- Kirk, Spock, & McCoy as lab rats for an advanced telepathic alien not advanced or telepathic enough to recognize them as sentient all that quickly.

"Cave-In"- a poem about a cave-in. I think. No nudity.

"Marginal Existence"- Trapped by the addictive p
Joel
Nov 02, 2016 Joel rated it liked it
These were hit and miss, too. Probably more misses than hits.
Ed Wyrd
Oct 07, 2016 Ed Wyrd rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
More interesting fan fiction.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
I once saw an editor for the later published Strange New Worlds express contempt for the New Voyages anthologies. These stories, after all, have a fanzine feel, several in the first volume were first published in fanzines, as you might know seeing the titles mentioned in Star Trek Lives! the book about Trek fandom co-authored by Sondra Marshak. Strange New Worlds in contrast was a "writing contest" for those with less than three published stories, and saw itself as much more professional--they d ...more
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1983:]. The ladies strike again! Although, in fact, two of the stories this time around are by men, the dominant sensibility of this volume is - even more strikingly than the last - that peculiar insistence on personal emotion which reaches its absurdest (and most gratifying) extension in "K/S". Here, this being a commercially published work, we have no such physical absurdity (and gratification), but there can be no doubt that a good many of the author(esse)s are ...more
James Sorensen
Sep 11, 2014 James Sorensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book of Fan Fiction edited by Sondra Marshak and Myrna Culbreath. This book was published by Bantam in 1978.

I think this volume had a better mix of stories than the previous "New Voyages" edition.

"Surprise" is a tongue and cheek story about trying to throw a surprise party for Captain Kirk's Birthday and the chaos that ensues. This story was written by the book's editors with help from Nichelle Nichols.

"Snake Pit" gives the reader a unique view of Nurse Chapel as she puts lif
Cory
I have a pretty big soft spot for "tie-in" type novels -- have had since I was a kid and I voraciously read Dr Who and X-Files tie-ins -- and this one is sort of a tie-in, sort of an official book-version of a fanzine. As with these kinds of things, it's patchy; some great moments, some that induce second-hand embarrassment like crazy. I have never seen a good poem about a TV show or film, and the streak is not broken by the poems in this book. There's some nice moments in this one, too, but the ...more
Betsy
Jul 14, 2012 Betsy rated it liked it
This was the very first book I ever bought myself, brand new. I was a relatively new ST fan (I was in middle school, and had "discovered" the show in reruns on a local TV channel in the afternoons, and I was instantly head-over-heels for the whole thing). Imagine how excited I was to find a whole book full of NEW adventures with my favorite characters!

Not as good as the first collection, which I immediately began combing second-hand bookstores for, but still, important for what it meant to me a
Dovile
Jul 10, 2012 Dovile rated it it was ok
The only story worth reading in this collection is Nichelle Nichol's 'Surprise!' which is fun and even more interesting if you have seen the 2009 Star Trek movie. All the others are so-so, the poems a bit better than the stories. The Sleeping God is so similar to ST I: The Motion Picture that it makes me wander if it might have been an inspiration for the script writer.

Overall, I recommend this book as a history of Star Trek, not as a piece of literature.
Thomas Arvanitis
Jan 02, 2015 Thomas Arvanitis rated it did not like it
As a fan of science fiction, short stories, and Star Trek, I thought this book would be perfect for me. Perhaps it was because of my great expectations that I didn't get to enjoy this collection. I tried starting three different stories and I couldn't finish any of them. they didn't arouse my interest at all. Now, I don;t exclude the fact that there might be some gems hidden in the stories I didn't get to read, but, the ones I randomly tried fell flat.
Jim Morrison
Feb 13, 2012 Jim Morrison rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Good. If you like the original series of Star Trek, maybe even great. The first seven stories kept me interested. The seventh, The Sleeping God, was, as Spock would say, "facinating". Jesco von Puttkamer (doesn't exactly roll of the tounge, does it?)presents two amazing stories that come together in a climax at the end. Good (typical of Star Trek) philosophy of logic and science and even a bit of a twist in the end.
Feb 20, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Goofy, rompy fun--published fanfictional short stories, including what is, as far as I can tell, one of the first genderswap Star Trek stories out there. Not exactly quality, but a lot of fun--and the story by Nichelle Nichols is very much worth the price of admission.
Bob Holt
Apr 12, 2015 Bob Holt rated it liked it
Most of these shorts were far superior to the longer "good" Trek novels I've read so far. It does serve as a warning to editors from adding stories they wrote to their own anthology. Their story was by far the weakest of the bunch.
Phillip
Nov 29, 2012 Phillip rated it liked it
For a collection of fanfic ... this is pretty good. I wouldn't say I liked all the stories, but they are just as good as any Star Trek novel. Though, I admit the Original Series is not my favorite (TNG, VOY, TOS, DS9, ENT), so a TOS fan may like this more.
Rich Meyer
Dec 11, 2013 Rich Meyer rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
The second collection of "New Voyages" short stories isn't quite as good as the first, but does have a few gems worth reading, especially for Trek fans. There's a lot more filler-quality stories this time around, so be warned.
Charles
Mar 28, 2009 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Another fine collection of new stories about Star Trek. Again, not all the writers are pros but the stories still have a lot of energy and verve. I didn't think it was quite as good as the first volume in this series, but still worth the reading.
Mikael Kuoppala
Jun 09, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it it was ok
A very unprofessional collection of weak short stories. All of them feel forced and lack depth and meaning.
Zuzana
Apart from two short stories: the deliciously trippy gender-swap and the AI alternate universe, this collection was really bad.
Dorothy
Apr 06, 2014 Dorothy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: star trek fans, especially of the k/s persuasion
Recommended to Dorothy by: my mom
Contains "Surprise!", "Snake Pit", "The Patient Parasites", "In the Maze", "Cave-In", "Marginal Existence", "The Procrustean Petard", "The Sleeping God", "Elegy for Charlie", and "Soliloquy".
Bebo
Bebo rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2014
Armand
Armand rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2013
John Holstein
John Holstein rated it really liked it
May 13, 2015
Alison
Alison rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2009
Dave Bara
Dave Bara rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014
David
David rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2012
Phil Geusz
Phil Geusz rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2014
BlueGryphon
BlueGryphon rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Akeel
Akeel rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Star Trek 12
  • Vulcan! (Star Trek Adventures, #7)
  • Spock, Messiah! (Star Trek Adventures, #3)
  • The World of Star Trek
  • Trek To Madworld (Star Trek Adventures, #9)
  • Planet of Judgment (Star Trek Adventures, #5)
  • Killing Time
  • The Abode of Life
  • Ghost-Walker
  • Timetrap
  • Mindshadow
  • Devil World (Star Trek Adventures, #12)
  • The Fearful Summons

Star Trek Adventures (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Spock Must Die! (Star Trek Adventures, #1)
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages (Star Trek Adventures, #2)
  • Spock, Messiah! (Star Trek Adventures, #3)
  • The Price of the Phoenix (Star Trek Adventures, #4)
  • Planet of Judgment (Star Trek Adventures, #5)
  • Vulcan! (Star Trek Adventures, #7)
  • The Starless World (Star Trek Adventures, #8)
  • Trek To Madworld (Star Trek Adventures, #9)
  • World Without End (Star Trek Adventures, #10)
  • The Fate Of The Phoenix (Star Trek Adventures, #11)