Start by marking “Made Flesh” as Want to Read:
Made Flesh

Made Flesh

4.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  104 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
"Few... could have predicted the delayed depth-charge of this explosive second book, motored by vividly earthly language and disguised philosophical sophistication." —Publishers Weekly, starred review

"Throughout Made Flesh, one of the most powerful poetry books this year, Arnold gets at both the contradictions and timelessness of love." —Time Out New York

"The readers delig
Published September 1st 2008 by Ausable Press

To ask other readers questions about Made Flesh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Made Flesh

Gilly
May 08, 2009 Gilly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
The best poems here are ones that examine mythical couplings, and show something about human relationships in a new way. The predicament of Hades and Persephone, for example, illustrates the sense some couples have — or maybe all couples sometimes have — of being trapped together in despair. Because the imagery of dank earth and airlessness works not only as a symbol but also as a fitting description of life as the lord of the underworld, it made me actually experience what it would be like to h ...more
Julene
Jan 21, 2010 Julene rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I learned about Craig Arnold when news started coming through Wompo, the Women's Poetry Listserv, that he was missing from a hike in Japan. They posted his poems and we wrote letters to keep the search going to find him. He is no longer with us, a huge loss. This book is a testament to our loss. This book full of poems on relationship through the lens of Persephone is insightful and thought provoking.

This is a 65 page book with 7 poems, he wrote long. This book is full of stories, metaphors, an
Mark
Sep 16, 2010 Mark rated it really liked it
Love the last page:

"Fall creeps like a slow flame
over a maple limb by limb
leaves that once fanned their hands
open wanting to put themselves
all over everything begin to glow
brave vermilion and lively yellow
let at last their fingers curl
into the palm and let go

The same fire is touching us
around the edges licking wrinkles
into the corners of our eyes
making the skin inside our elbows
silky as old coins
And when we lie
together and I feel your bones
blaze and the rose of your face unfolds
and the incandes
Daniel Klawitter
Feb 08, 2014 Daniel Klawitter rated it it was amazing
Romantic, lucid, and beautifully embodied language. This is a brilliant collection. The long sequence "A Couple In Hell" brilliantly explores the relationship between Hades and Persephone and the ability of Arnold to hold the reader's attention throughout these long, lyrical and narrative pieces is magical. Made Flesh is haunting in the best sense of the word...a book of poems that linger in the memory and that you will want and need to return to again and again.

from "Hymn To Persephone":

He sang
Steve
Feb 07, 2016 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, books-of-2016
Craig Arnolds "made flesh" reads with clarity and a starkness that makes his poetry stand out, in my opinion.

My favourite, which is not in this volume unfortunately, is titled "on a grapefruit".
Craig
Jun 10, 2010 Craig rated it liked it
As I said in my review of How Things Are, I am typically not a big fan of long poems. Chalk it up to my poor attention span, but I struggle to make it through them often.

This collection is made up of only seven poems. While I made it through each of them, they primarily felt uneven to me. I very much liked parts of some, but the title poem was the only piece that I liked through and through.

I sound more critical than I feel on this one (and as I said, much of the failure is on the reader and no
Katie
Mar 13, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing
A really smart collection of poems that are also sexy and fun to read.
I found myself constantly in wonder at small phrases and images. I am impressed by how well each part of the long poems work with the other sections in that series of scenes. And Craig Arnold writes about the experience of travelling abroad in a way that felt more like my own experience than I have ever read. It might even have jarred those feelings enough for me to finally write some Prague poems!
Peter
Jul 18, 2009 Peter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Alas the second and last book of poetry from Craig. Personal, edgy, sensual, earthy and extremely well written. Edgy emotionally and also edgy in other ways, at the limit of expressing certain feelings. And to complete it, he evidently died falling over the edge of a cliff on a Japanese volcanic island earlier this year. He disappeared.
Mark
Feb 04, 2010 Mark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
One of the best volumes of poetry I've read in some time. These poems are intense and intellectually engaging, while at the same time extremely lyrical and beautiful. It's very sad that Arnold's early passing means we only have two slim volumes of poetry from his lifetime to appreciate.
Daryoung
Nov 05, 2013 Daryoung rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I'll read some of these over and over. I love how Arnold can be so narrative without leaving any doubt that this is poetry. I'll never forget "A Place of First Permission" for its description of loneliness in the first section. Amazing stuff.
M
Nov 25, 2012 M added it
I may need several weeks to read this book, if my reaction to the first poem is any predictor. Poet male or female, I've never read anything that so evokes and captures the essence of woman-as-conduit for subverted male emotional experience.
Janey
Feb 06, 2012 Janey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, read-2012
(4.5)

Significantly less showy than Shells, but no less assured and confident of its own awesomeness. That makes it sound cocky, but it's just damned good. Stories in stories made more stinging in poetic form.
Courtney Johnston
Nov 06, 2012 Courtney Johnston rated it it was amazing
Craig Arnold's poetry is too beautiful for me to write about. All I can say is - borrow this from me, or better yet, buy your own. Your life will be sadder, sexier, and more exquisite for it.
Melissa
Mar 14, 2009 Melissa rated it liked it
Recommended to Melissa by: Zach
Shelves: poetry
I admired and enjoyed the formal invention and the workings of narrative in these poems, but ultimately the diction sort of let me down.
Jayme
Jun 11, 2012 Jayme rated it really liked it
the title poem is one of the most beautiful love poems i've read. period. what a tragic loss. i wish i'd known of him earlier.
MK
Apr 25, 2012 MK rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I am going to say this as sentimentally as I can: this is the book that made me want to write poetry. I can't believe he's gone.
John
Nov 16, 2008 John rated it really liked it
A powerful and memorable book that demands to be read more than once.
Katie Schmid
May 07, 2009 Katie Schmid rated it it was amazing
Really, quite the loveliest book of poems I've read in a long time.
Lauren
Aug 18, 2010 Lauren rated it it was amazing
My favorite book of all time.
Joshua Whiting
Joshua Whiting marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Zoë Ruiz
Zoë Ruiz marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Cassie
Cassie added it
Feb 27, 2016
Lin
Lin rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Meritt Salathe
Meritt Salathe is currently reading it
Feb 22, 2016
Russel
Russel rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2016
Paulina
Paulina marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
  • Human Wishes
  • Sea Garden
  • Mysteries of Small Houses
  • The Light the Dead See: Selected Poems
Craig Arnold was a professor at the University of Wyoming. He cited Ani DiFranco as a muse and claimed he was more interested in art made in moments of happiness than art made to be beautiful. On April 26, 2009 Craig Arnold went missing on the island of Kuchino-erabu. He was in Japan to work on a lyric book about volcanoes. May 8, 2009 a search and rescue team concluded he suffered a leg injury an ...more
More about Craig Arnold...