Start by marking “Made Flesh” as Want to Read:
Made Flesh

Made Flesh

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  18 reviews
"Few... could have predicted the delayed depth-charge of this explosive second book, motored by vividly earthly language and disguised philosophical sophistication." —Publishers Weekly, starred review

"Throughout Made Flesh, one of the most powerful poetry books this year, Arnold gets at both the contradictions and timelessness of love." —Time Out New York

"The readers delig
Published September 1st 2008 by Ausable Press

To ask other readers questions about Made Flesh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Made Flesh

Gilly
The best poems here are ones that examine mythical couplings, and show something about human relationships in a new way. The predicament of Hades and Persephone, for example, illustrates the sense some couples have — or maybe all couples sometimes have — of being trapped together in despair. Because the imagery of dank earth and airlessness works not only as a symbol but also as a fitting description of life as the lord of the underworld, it made me actually experience what it would be like to h ...more
Julene
I learned about Craig Arnold when news started coming through Wompo, the Women's Poetry Listserv, that he was missing from a hike in Japan. They posted his poems and we wrote letters to keep the search going to find him. He is no longer with us, a huge loss. This book is a testament to our loss. This book full of poems on relationship through the lens of Persephone is insightful and thought provoking.

This is a 65 page book with 7 poems, he wrote long. This book is full of stories, metaphors, an
Mark
Love the last page:

"Fall creeps like a slow flame
over a maple limb by limb
leaves that once fanned their hands
open wanting to put themselves
all over everything begin to glow
brave vermilion and lively yellow
let at last their fingers curl
into the palm and let go

The same fire is touching us
around the edges licking wrinkles
into the corners of our eyes
making the skin inside our elbows
silky as old coins
And when we lie
together and I feel your bones
blaze and the rose of your face unfolds
and the incandes
Daniel Klawitter
Romantic, lucid, and beautifully embodied language. This is a brilliant collection. The long sequence "A Couple In Hell" brilliantly explores the relationship between Hades and Persephone and the ability of Arnold to hold the reader's attention throughout these long, lyrical and narrative pieces is magical. Made Flesh is haunting in the best sense of the word...a book of poems that linger in the memory and that you will want and need to return to again and again.

from "Hymn To Persephone":

He sang
Craig
As I said in my review of How Things Are, I am typically not a big fan of long poems. Chalk it up to my poor attention span, but I struggle to make it through them often.

This collection is made up of only seven poems. While I made it through each of them, they primarily felt uneven to me. I very much liked parts of some, but the title poem was the only piece that I liked through and through.

I sound more critical than I feel on this one (and as I said, much of the failure is on the reader and no
Katie
A really smart collection of poems that are also sexy and fun to read.
I found myself constantly in wonder at small phrases and images. I am impressed by how well each part of the long poems work with the other sections in that series of scenes. And Craig Arnold writes about the experience of travelling abroad in a way that felt more like my own experience than I have ever read. It might even have jarred those feelings enough for me to finally write some Prague poems!
Peter
Alas the second and last book of poetry from Craig. Personal, edgy, sensual, earthy and extremely well written. Edgy emotionally and also edgy in other ways, at the limit of expressing certain feelings. And to complete it, he evidently died falling over the edge of a cliff on a Japanese volcanic island earlier this year. He disappeared.
Mark
Feb 04, 2010 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
One of the best volumes of poetry I've read in some time. These poems are intense and intellectually engaging, while at the same time extremely lyrical and beautiful. It's very sad that Arnold's early passing means we only have two slim volumes of poetry from his lifetime to appreciate.
Daryoung
I'll read some of these over and over. I love how Arnold can be so narrative without leaving any doubt that this is poetry. I'll never forget "A Place of First Permission" for its description of loneliness in the first section. Amazing stuff.
M
Nov 25, 2012 M added it
I may need several weeks to read this book, if my reaction to the first poem is any predictor. Poet male or female, I've never read anything that so evokes and captures the essence of woman-as-conduit for subverted male emotional experience.
Janey
(4.5)

Significantly less showy than Shells, but no less assured and confident of its own awesomeness. That makes it sound cocky, but it's just damned good. Stories in stories made more stinging in poetic form.
Courtney Johnston
Craig Arnold's poetry is too beautiful for me to write about. All I can say is - borrow this from me, or better yet, buy your own. Your life will be sadder, sexier, and more exquisite for it.
Melissa
Mar 14, 2009 Melissa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Melissa by: Zach
Shelves: poetry
I admired and enjoyed the formal invention and the workings of narrative in these poems, but ultimately the diction sort of let me down.
Jayme
the title poem is one of the most beautiful love poems i've read. period. what a tragic loss. i wish i'd known of him earlier.
Madeleine
I am going to say this as sentimentally as I can: this is the book that made me want to write poetry. I can't believe he's gone.
John
A powerful and memorable book that demands to be read more than once.
Katie
Really, quite the loveliest book of poems I've read in a long time.
Lauren
My favorite book of all time.
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Heather Reyes
Heather Reyes marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Debbra
Debbra marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Seth Fiegerman
Seth Fiegerman marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Devon
Devon marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Nate Gearhart
Nate Gearhart marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Kate
Kate is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Craig Arnold was a professor at the University of Wyoming. He cited Ani DiFranco as a muse and claimed he was more interested in art made in moments of happiness than art made to be beautiful. On April 26, 2009 Craig Arnold went missing on the island of Kuchino-erabu. He was in Japan to work on a lyric book about volcanoes. May 8, 2009 a search and rescue team concluded he suffered a leg injury an ...more
More about Craig Arnold...
Shells Salaries 97 Success Secrets - 97 Most Asked Questions on Salaries - What You Need to Know Euterpe: Diaries, Letters and Logs of the "Star of India" As a British Emigrant Ship Fair and Healthy Land Use "Medea": The classic steam yacht