Start by marking “Blood Debt (Vicki Nelson, #5)” as Want to Read:
Blood Debt (Vicki Nelson, #5)

Blood Debt (Vicki Nelson #5)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  2,975 ratings  ·  85 reviews
This volume is the fifth book in a series of supernatural thrillers.
Published December 2nd 2004 by Little, Brown (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Debt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Debt

Storm Front by Jim ButcherDead Witch Walking by Kim HarrisonMagic Bites by Ilona AndrewsDead Beat by Jim ButcherDeath Masks by Jim Butcher
Best Occult Detective Novel Fiction
39th out of 166 books — 169 voters
Storm Front by Jim ButcherRelics by Maer WilsonPortals by Maer WilsonDead Witch Walking by Kim HarrisonTurn Coat by Jim Butcher
Best Fantasy-Mystery/Detective
60th out of 172 books — 230 voters

More lists with this book...

Casey
This is the last of the "Victory" Nelson books and the one I liked least. Vicky was always a bit argumentative but it just got annoying in this book. Even though there was an excuse for her and Henry to lock horns as much as they did, it was exhausting.

I finished it because I read the others but I don't know if I'm going to go on to read the spin-off series.

I didn't really hate the book, it was ok (an option not offered by goodreads), but I know I've read far better fanfic.
Amanda
This is the fifth and last book in the series by Tanya Huff about Vicki Nelson, Henry Fitzroy and Mike Celluci. We pick up the tale as Henry finds himself haunted by a tormented ghost and realises he needs the specialist help of Vicki.

It is hard to review this book completely without spoiling the events at the end of Blood Pact, but I shall attempt it!

Although there is a ghost involved, the mystery itself is the most mundane out of the five books - concerning an organisation set up to profit fro...more
Angela
Inspired by the recent starting up of the TV show Blood Ties, I've gone and plowed through all five of the Blood books by Tanya Huff. These are all re-reads, but it's been long enough since I read them all that it was almost like reading them all over again. And it was a pleasure, especially after reading a lot more current urban fantasy--in her rather understated kind of way, Huff did her part to contribute to what you see in the more recent run of books.

First and foremost: as vampires go, Henr...more
mlady_rebecca
Carina
This is the last book in the series that I own and was, I believed the last in the series. I mentioned in my review of the previous book, Blood Pact, that this feels a bit like a filler novel - Blood Pacts ending is definitely the more emotive one but Blood Debt does still have the necessary tones of finality about it.

This book ties off a number of the looser ends, we see that the characters have evolved from Blood Price - Tony even makes the point of mentioning it to Celluci - from book to boo...more
Liz
As sad as I am not to have any more of the Blood series to read, I appreciate that Tanya Huff chose to end it while the characters and stories still felt fresh and exciting. I was a bit nervous about this installment in the series since events in the previous book were bound to shake up the team dynamic that I adored so much. However, the author kept hold of what makes the series and the characters and their relationships with one another so special. I enjoyed seeing how they separately and as a...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Oct 13, 2011 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Urban Fantasy
You certainly shouldn't start with this book--it's the fifth and currently the last in a series involving private investigator Vicki Nelson, her friend and lover Toronto cop Mike Celluci and 450-year old vampire Henry Fitzroy--who was born the illegitimate son of Henry VIII of England. Read first Blood Price, Blood Trail, Blood Lines and Blood Pact. The various books deal with classic supernatural monsters. The first deals with a demon, the second werewolves, the third an Egyptian mummy and the...more
Deb
The plot of this book was pretty thin. Henry wakes up one night and there is a ghost at the foot of his bed with missing hands. Henry was allowed to ask one question of the ghost each night. If the answer was yes, the ghost simply faded away. If the answer was no, an innocent person would die. Henry then calls Vicky to help him figure out who the ghost is and what he wants from Henry. Vicky and Henry are not supposed to be able to work together and be in the same territory now that they are both...more
Roberta
***Attenzione spoiler libri precedenti!!!***

Sono passati ormai tre anni dalla trasformazione di Vicky Nelson, Ex Detective della Polizia di Toronto e Investigatore Privato. Sono quindi due anni che non vede Henry Fitzroy, figlio illegittimo di Enrico VIII, vampiro e scrittore di romanzi rosa, trasferitosi a Vancouver con il compagno Tony onde evitare problemi di territorialità.

Ma quando Henry comincia a svegliarsi ogni mattina in compagnia di un fantasma che esige vendetta e - non ricevendola...more
Text Addict
I went for many years without reading anything by Tanya Huff, a fact that I now regret, because her books are excellent.

I actually read the 1997 DAW edition, which has a much better cover than this one and which I picked up in a used bookstore. I've seen the Blood series recently re-printed in omnibus volumes, so if urban fantasy that hits most of the major subgenre tropes (in Huff's inimitable style) is of interest to you, consider picking them up!

This concluding volume of the series wraps up...more
Amy *Waitforit*
Jul 26, 2011 Amy *Waitforit* rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who have read the rest of the series, Vampire lovers,
Shelves: murder, series, vampires
A struggle but worth it

It began when Henry woke to the twilight -- and the discovery that a ghost had invaded his inner sanctum. This was the start of a dangerous nightly game. Henry was allowed to ask one question of his mysterious visitor. If the answer was no, someone -- innocent and unsuspecting -- would die. It soon became clear that what this wraith -- and the others who eventually joined it -- wanted was revenge on those responsible for killing them.

So if you are reading this I assume yo...more
Debora
- Per me tu eri Mistero... - mormorò Vicky, il ricordo che affiorava dalla sua vita mortale.
- Allora sii Mistero per lui.

Eccoci con la conclusione di questa fantastica saga fantasy thriller di Tanya Huff. So per certo che ci sarà un nuovo libro, una raccolta di spinn off di Tony e Herny ma per me, l'avventura con la saga Blood Books finisce qua, e finisce anche splendidamente.

Molti si aspettavano un libro forzato, noioso... insomma un contentino concesso alle fan scocciate dalla separazione def...more
Kathy
Vicki, vampire... Mike Celluci... cop... and they love, and Mike needs Vicki enough that he accepts her...It's been a year, since her year with Henry... and she keeps in contact with Henry via phone & email...

and Henry is haunted by a ghost with no hands, who comes to him as he awakens... and if Henry asks a question like illicits a yes answer, the ghost quietly leaves, but if he the answer is no, or if his first comments are not a question, the ghost screams, and an inocent dies...

So Henry...more
Jun 05, 2010 Jennifer rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: diehard fans of the first 4
Recommended to Jennifer by: my own curiousity
Shelves: read-2010
LJ
BLOOD DEBT - Ex
Huff, Tanya - 5th in Victory Nelson series

Henry Fitzroy, vampire, writer, and bastard son of Henry VIII, had survived for centuries by obeying the vampires' code. He did not slaughter needlessly, did not draw attention to himself, and never invaded another vampire's territory. But now Henry was about to do the unthinkable. He was going to break the code.

It began when Henry woke to the twilight--and the discovery that a ghost had invaded his inner sanctum. This was the start of a d...more
Punk
Supernatural/Mystery. Wow, was Huff hitting the Vampire hard in this book. "Vampire! Nightwalker! Prince of Man!" It's on every other page. Oh, am I reading a book with Vampires? I must be very dumb to have forgotten that. Also, we know Henry's the bastard son of Henry VIII, once Duke of Richmond and Somerset, there's no reason he needs to tell us that every time it's his turn to talk.

Despite the endless repetition (and occasionally wonky POV, standard on any Huff novel), this book is probably...more
Yvensong
3 1/2 Stars

This was my least favorite of the Victoria Nelson books, though I really liked the ending, so I find it difficult to only give it 3 stars. If I jumped this to 4 stars, though, I'd have to give the others 5 stars, which that rating is not warranted, in my opinion. They were fun, but not awe-inspiring, life-changing, or so perfectly written that I felt bowled over.

Trying to figure why I feel this way about this book, the only conclusion I can come to was that I got bored with the inter...more
Heather Dalgarno
I was, overall, very pleasently surprised by this book. A while ago I read the first in the series, "Blood Price" and didn't think much of it, in fact I remember it as quite a dissapointment. I then watched the Blood Ties TV series, which I loved, and intrigued to find out how the whole Viki/Mike/Henry triangle would play out I decided to give the series another go and got this one in a charity shop.

I was very quickly annoyed to have jumped in to such a late book, since a hell of a lot must have...more
Rachel
Nov 09, 2007 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: detective fiction fans, supernatural fiction fans
Shelves: supernatural
Okay, Huff covered vampires, werewolves, mummies, and zombies in the first four books. She finishes up the series with ghosts. Henry wakes every morning to discover a ghost (and then more) by his bedside, apparently wanting revenge. He calls Vicki, who tries to discover who they are and why they want Henry, uncovering a larger plot along the way. This is a bit of a departure, in that the ghosts aren't actually the focus of this one -- the relationship between Henry and Vicki is. Huff uses this b...more
Lani Hannah
Of the series, I think this one was my favorite. I'm reading these books because they're by Becca's favorite author. But she herself admits they're not the best by the author.

I don't actually read a lot of supernatural-y, vampires and werewolves and mummies and zombies. So it's been interesting. I'm not sure that it's my type.

I've been pretty pleased with the dynamics between the three main characters and the handling of open relationships. Generally.

But what I liked about this one was just- th...more
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
I really wish now that I would have finished the last book. I got bored with the mummies and gave up on it. Obviously, I missed the whole Vickie becomes a vampire. Even though this is the last book, I have faith that Vickie and Henry will get over their territory issues and eventually be together. I really don't like Celluci. Farewell good series. Too bad the show wasn't on longer. It was great.
Jenn
Kim
2.5 stars Didn't enjoy it as much as the others. Would have been interested to hear more about Henry's and Vicki's time together when she was first made a vampire. There is definitely the possibility of a sixth book in the telling of her first year as a vampire.
Debbie Heaton
In Huff’s fantasy novel, Henry Fitzroy was many things: vampire, graphic novelist, and bastard son of Henry VIII. He has survived for centuries by obeying to the letter the vampire’s code. Keeping to himself he stayes out of the limelight, never slaughteres needlessly and respects other vampire’s territory. But now unwanted guests have invaded his inner sanctum. The ghost’s of murder victims demand his assistance, forcing him to break the code he lives by to help them. Unable to accomplish this...more
Ward Bond

SUMMARY:
Tanya Huff's Victoria Nelson series has won her countless devoted readers with its masterful blending of contemporary fantasy and the supernatural. These novels offer up an irresistible team of terror busters: Vicki, a female private eye who was until recently human; Mike, a Toronto homicide detective who is her ex-partner and current lover; and Henry, a vampire who writes bodice rippers.In "Blood Debt", Henry, despite his better judgement, calls upon Vicki and Mike to help him lay to re

Miranda
I'm so glad Tanya Huff decided to add another installment to the series. The story could have easily been wrapped up in Blood Pact, but another novel added so much more insight into the characters and the vampire elements. Though the supernatural aspect (the ghosts) in this case seemed a bit strained and off-handed, like it was added in simply for tradition's sake, it was supplemented well with Huff's final plot twist that really makes this last book. The Blood Books all held up to the standard...more
Amelia May

I was disappointed by the ghosts - they don't do much and there isn't much supernatural in the book.

I didn't really like the conflict between Vicki and Henry. It felt like too much of a sudden change in their relationship from the last book, even if there is a reason given for it. It's like the relationship between Mike and Henry from the previous books has suddenly been transferred to Vicki and Henry.

My favourite part of the book was Tony. I've liked him since the very first book so I was happy...more
Samantha
The last in the Vicki and Henry vampire series, I wanted to find out how it ended. I was very disappointed that the TV series only last 1 season as I felt with some better scripts and sometimes acting from the supporting actors it could have lasted a lot longer as it had some excellent ideas and the dynamic of Henry, Celluci and Vicki was very good. I did like the last novel, however, it did become irritating at times the constant ooh I can't stand to be in the same room as you ooh I wanna kill...more
Lisa
So I started reading this series just cause I really enjoyed the Tv show. Aside from the first two books that were really quite exciting this last one was just kind of annoying especially the way that Vicki acted. And she was way to augmentative. I mean I'm all for a strong female character and it's usually quite alright but I'm not sure why but in this book it was just plain annoying. And I was really bored reading through it as well. This is definitely not my series!

You can find more reviews...more
Anna
  • Lifeblood (Vampire Files, #2)
  • Jinx High (Diana Tregarde, #3)
  • Of Masques and Martyrs (Shadow Saga #3)
  • Shattered Glass (Austra Family, #1)
  • Touch of Madness (Thrall #2)
  • A Matter of Taste (Dracula Series, #6)
  • Poison Sleep (Marla Mason, #2)
1967
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s...more
More about Tanya Huff...
Blood Price (Vicki Nelson, #1) Blood Trail (Vicki Nelson, #2) Valor's Choice (Confederation #1) Blood Lines (Vicki Nelson, #3) Summon the Keeper (Keeper Chronicles #1)