With the Heart of a King: Elizabeth I of England, Philip II of Spain, and the Fight for a Nation's Soul and Crown

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Philip II of Spain, the most powerful monarch in sixteenth-century Europe and a ferocious empire-builder, was matched against the dauntless queen of England, Elizabeth I, determined to defend her country and thwart Philip's ambitions. Philip had been king of England while married to Elizabeth's half-sister, Bloody Mary Tudor, a devout Catholic. After Mary's untimely death,...more
Published February 6th 2007 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about With the Heart of a King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With the Heart of a King

Traci
This was excellent, simply put. Elizabeth's resistance of Philip was always one of the more interesting aspects of her reign to me. It was interesting to see how these two strong-willed sovereigns butted heads. The details of the Armada and its battle with the English were well written (go Fire Ships!). As always, I learned a few new tidbits about Elizabeth along the way and I enjoyed learning more about Philip as well.
Karen E.
Wonderful book about Philip of Spain and Elizabeth I of England. It had not registered with me before that Philip had been married to Elizabeth's sister, "Bloody" Mary, and must take part of the blame for the persecution of Catholics that Mary practiced during her reign. Why weren't history books this interesting when we had to read them in school?
Bill  Kerwin

An entertaining narrative history of the Armada and the events leading up to it, centered on the two towering personalities of Elizabeth I of England and Philip II of Spain.
Louise
Contained information on the Armada which I had never seen before.
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
East Wind
East Wind marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Melita Thomas
Melita Thomas marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Joy C.
Joy C. marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Abigail Hartman
Abigail Hartman is currently reading it
May 12, 2014
Linda Lipko
Linda Lipko marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Blake
Blake marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Princess
Princess marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Kathy Young
Kathy Young marked it as to-read
Mellu
Mellu marked it as to-read
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Amberger
Amberger marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2013
mirquee233
mirquee233 marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
Inna Shpitzberg
Inna Shpitzberg marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Lisa Levine
Lisa Levine marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2013
Dean Hamilton
Dean Hamilton marked it as to-read
May 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Harold and William: The Battle for England, A.D. 1064-1066 The Editor in Chief: A Management Guide for Magazine Editors The Great American Steamboat Race: The Natchez and the Robert E. Lee and the Climax of an Era Washington and Cornwallis: The Battle for America, 1775-1783 The Editor In Chief: A Practical Management Guide For Magazine Editors