Start by marking “The Talbot Odyssey” as Want to Read:
The Talbot Odyssey

The Talbot Odyssey

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  3,596 ratings  ·  116 reviews
IT STARTED AS A SIMPLE SPY HUNT.

IT BECAME A DESPERATE BATTLE TO SAVE THE WEST.

For forty years Western intelligence agents have known a terrible secret: the Russians have a mole -- code-named Talbot -- inside the CIA. At first Talbot is suspected of killing European agents. Then a street-smart ex-cop uncovers a storm of espionage and murder on the streets of New York, while
Published July 1st 1991 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Talbot Odyssey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Talbot Odyssey

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownAngels & Demons by Dan BrownApostle of the Tyrants by Anthony HulseThe Eight by Katherine Neville
Best Thriller Books
103rd out of 126 books — 43 voters
Up Country by Nelson DeMilleThe Lion's Game by Nelson DeMilleThe Lion's Game by Nelson DeMille (Author)Wild Fire by Nelson DeMilleThe Lion by Nelson DeMille
Best of Nelson DeMille
21st out of 29 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda
It's funny, rating this. I would describe this book as "OK" but if I give it two stars it would give the wrong impression. This is "OK" for a Nelson DeMille book. But that just means it isn't his best - and, like pizza, even when it's not the best, "It's still pizza man! And who doesn't love pizza? Right?" My point is that Nelson DeMille is awesome and bits of his sarcasm and humor and wit and smarts and sly political statments and laughing at bureaucrats and such are on display here, but not en ...more
Brian Rueger
This is another one of those books for which I wish there was a fractional rating system. This is a great story but does not rate a "5" nor does it rate a "4" I would give it a 4.6.

This story starts out slow - in fact, I thought about discarding it through the first 100 or so pages. Then it really picked up and I could not stop.

Another great plot from Demille.
Chipper
I love Demille, but I didn't love this one.

Having essentially completed the Demille canon, I was disappointed with The Talbot Odyssey after my family promised me it was a "really good" one. The first 100 pages required two readings and I was still unsure what was going on and where the book was going. There are too many seemingly-unrelated incidents, story lines and characters that don't make a whole lot of sense until you're half way through the damn book. This hide-the ball approach does pay o
Marilyn
Toby Abrams, an ex-cop, has been with the O'Brien, Kimberly, and Rose law firm of New York for just a little over a year. Having the protection of a rather mundane, unobscure job, he suddenly finds himself in a swirl of intrigue, wondering who, when, where and how. Time seems to be of the essence as people start dying or disappearing rIght and left. The Russians seem to be out to destroy America, but the questions are how and when. With the help of Katherine Rose (lawyer), an acne pocked teenage ...more
John
I read the John Corey novels (Plumb Island, The Lion's Game, Night Fall and Wild Fire) first. I enjoyed them so much that I went back and started to read all of DeMille's other novels. Tony Abrams really reminds me of John Corey, with his witty smart-assed comments. The book was a bit uneven. There were parts that dragged, and other parts that I couldn't wait to turn the page. The agent, double agent, triple agent scenarios seemed a bit contrived. I never felt that I was bought in to the motives ...more
Alan
Revo
Well structured but dry as chalk dust in the desert. The gigantic cast gets overwhelming and requires a flow chart. If this was my first DeMille book, I doubt I'd have read more but a decent example of how a writer can grow and become far more entertaining...it just didn't happen yet for this example.
Perry Mowbray
I really like Nelson DeMille's sense of humour.

The credibility got a little stretched toward the end, but the plot was well worked and intricate: we thought about the ins-and-outs for days after finishing. If was refreshing having a book that tied up all the lose ends, but still left room for digging.
Michael
DeMille is so good that even his so-so books are highly readable. I'm not a fan of stories that involve fictional presidents of the United States or ordinary schnooks who find themselves in save-the-world-from-catastrophe situations but DeMille makes it work as well as anyone could.
Garrett
Talbot Odyssey was my second to last DeMille I have yet to read, I'm unfortunately winding down on his catalog, and I definitely enjoyed this one.

I began with The Lion's Game, and what drew to DeMille's style was his strength in dialogue. Whether it be Corey's comedically sharp delivery, or the grandiose style of conversation offered up at a dinner table of CIA spies and double agents, DeMille does it seamlessly.

Growing up an athlete, I often find myself smiling at DeMille's characters disciplin
Peter
Lots of intrigue. Double and triple agents. Torture, mayhem. gotta' love it.
Bev
Good read. Set in Russia. I could see all of it happening before me.
Russell Olson
My first "potboiler." It was ok. Not fantastic, but ok.
Amanda "Freckles"
My favorite of his books. I've read it many times.
Brett
pick any this is were i started

A real page turner.
Marianne
An enjoyable read!
Alex Gherzo
Nelson DeMille's The Talbot Odyssey is a really good Cold War era spy novel that was close to being great but, due to a few narrative missteps falls just short. All the ingredients are there but the mixture went slightly wrong at certain points.

Tony Abrams, a former NYPD detective, is hired by O'Brien, Kimberly and Rose, a law firm run by former OSS officers who've been running counterintelligence against the Russians since World War II ended. Abrams believes he's being groomed as a lawyer, but
Will
Apr 30, 2014 Will rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: adventure, gatsby-ny
Benjamin Thomas
The Talbot Odyssey by Nelson DeMille was the final book I had selected for my trip to South Africa. I know I can always count on a DeMille novel in case any of the others weren't keeping me going. This is also the one I read in two parts, the first 3/4ths on the 18 hour plane ride back home (plus connection times and airport waiting times), and the last 1/4th after completing the prior novel. If that isn't clear as mud then you haven't been paying attention.

Nelson DeMille novels, as I mentioned,
Ralph
Jun 27, 2014 Ralph rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: audio
4.5 out of 5
Nelson DeMille is one of my favorite authors and I always look forward to reading his works. As always, Scott Brick brings DeMille's words and characters to life in a most satisfying manner. The Talbot Odyssey was written in 1984 before the collapse of the USSR and involves former OSS officers, spies, double-agents, moles, and a plot by Moscow that will result in the end of the United States. Captivating and well researched.
Dave Wooldridge
Nelson DeMille is a great author and although I've loved every book of his I've read so far (and I've read several of them), this one was my least favorite. It started off with an intriguing premise, but I found the second half of the book a tad drawn out, making the climactic ending feel a bit tedious. If you're new to DeMille, then start with one of his better known bestsellers, such as the The Gold Coast.
Ed
Feb 27, 2014 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: spy story fans
While not one of his best, this early spy story is a good one. It is very complicated at the start but things begin to resolve themselves after about 100 pages.

The protagonist, Tony Abrams, a retired NYC Detective is hired by a law firm owned by a few retired OSS officers. As people start turning up dead, Abrams postulates that one or more of the partners has turned rogue and is working for the Soviets. The Russian plan is to destroy all U.S. electronics by launching a an EMP nuclear explosion
Razvan Banciu
I love DeMille and his magnificent "Word of honor" and "Plum Island", but The Oddyssey is far behind. An unrealistic plot, too many dull characters (excepting Abrams), too much blood and violence in the final. Besides, I don't understand teenagers who play in russian embassy garden and people running in cemeteries.
J. Ewbank
DeMille knows how to write. The plot is very different and exciting as well as interesting. The characters are well drawn up and you know some of them. What a finish! I really enjoyed it.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" and "To Whom It May Concern"
Andrea
I normally really enjoy reading DeMille, but this one was a bit hard to read. Too many characters with not quite enough clarity. It was also a little bit predictable. I knew who one if the Talbots was much sooner than I think I was supposed to know. That was kind of disappointing. An okay read, but other of DeMille's books are better.
LeRay
Talbot Odysseus, great read.

DeMille does it again. Thought not his most intriguing work, it does have the requisite twists and turns to enthrall the reader. I had a personal interest in this subject as a close family member had served in the original OSS in Britain in WW2.
Kathy
I found this book to be very confusing and difficult to follow. There were so many characters, spies, counter-spies, CIA, NSA, Russians and others. Who could I trust? People were killed off for reasons that escaped my understanding. I couldn't honestly recommend this book.
Jim Boyd
Well..... what a departure from the other DeMille thrillers I've read. Usually his books start with a bang and keep banging. This book began so slowly that I kept putting it off to the side. I was really thinking of giving up on it and starting on a different book. Boy am I glad I persevered. One problem was that there were so many characters it was difficult to keep them all separated. Overall, a great read and a terrific ending.
Cookie
My first Nelson Demille book. This one got me hooked, and it carried through to the very end. The suspense kept me on edge till the last page. Thoroughly enjoyed it, I've added him to my short list of authors I intend to continue following.
  • The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton, #6)
  • Private Sector (Sean Drummond, #4)
  • Assumed Identity
  • Firefox Down! (Mitchell Gant, #2)
  • Blow the House Down: A Novel
  • Undersea Prison (Stratton, #4)
  • Stallion Gate
  • Spandau Phoenix (World War Two #2)
  • Requiem For a Glass Heart
  • Avenger
  • The First Billion
  • By Stealth (Tweed & Co. #9)
  • The Mark of the Assassin (Michael Osbourne, #1)
  • The Passage (Dan Lenson, #4)
  • The Third Option (Mitch Rapp #4)
  • Total Control
  • Warning Signs (Alan Gregory, #10)
Nelson Richard DeMille was born in New York City on August 23, 1943 to Huron and Antonia (Panzera) DeMille. He moved as a child with his family to Long Island. In high school, he played football and ran track.

DeMille spent three years at Hofstra University, then joined the Army and attended Officer Candidate School. He was a First Lieutenant in the United States Army (1966-69) and saw action as an
More about Nelson DeMille...
The General's Daughter Plum Island The Charm School The Lion's Game (John Corey, #2) The Lion (John Corey, #5)