Start by marking “Silent Witness (Witness Series, #2)” as Want to Read:
Silent Witness (Witness Series, #2)

Silent Witness (Witness Series, #2)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,059 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
From the USA Today bestselling author of Hostile Witness comes this second legal thriller featuring defense attorney Josie Baylor-Bates. Determined to defend her lover from the charge of murdering his own disabled stepson, Josie must prove someone is framing the man she loves. Original.
Published February 1st 2005 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Silent Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Witness

Lewis Weinstein
Sep 21, 2012 Lewis Weinstein rated it really liked it
Now two books into the series, I have become a fan of Rebecca Forster and Josie Bates. Forster continues in Silent Witness to develop the characters from Hostile Witness (Josie, Archer, Hannah) while adding Jude Getts, who I suspect from the attention given him will not be forgotten in future stories.

Forster has total command of her appropriately complicated plot. There is tension, surprise, disappointment, the opportunity to root, and the opportunity to hate. No character is perfectly good or e
Robin Webster
Mar 15, 2014 Robin Webster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This e-book is the second legal thriller in Rebecca Foster’s Witness series. Our heroine, Josie Baylor Bates was previously a hotshot lawyer, who moved to the Californian coastline and a small law-firm in an effort to escape the stresses of dealing with high profile cases. However, she is now left with the responsibility of looking after a teenager with multiple problems, and to make matters worse she is again embroiled in a high profile case when her lover, an ex-policeman, is charged with murd ...more
Melanie Adkins
May 07, 2013 Melanie Adkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Things seemed to be going well for Archer and Josie after her big trial. She took Hannah into her home and though Archer wasn't thrilled with it, he was adjusting. Out of the blue, Archer is arrested for the murder of his step-son. To say Josie is thrown for a loop is an understatement. She hadn't known about the boy or the death. Now she was trying to defend him and understand the situation. It's almost too much for Josie to deal with. Can she defend Archer and remain his lover?

This is a fan
Carla
Jul 11, 2011 Carla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Los Angeles author, Rebecca Forster, has created yet another well-crafted legal thriller in `Silent Witness - (The Witness Series).

This title is the second of three in The Witness Series. Protagonist, Josie Baylor-Bates is still living at beachside Hermosa Beach and is now guardian to troubled teen, Hannah Sheraton, introduced to readers in the series' first title: Hostile Witness. Hannah's presence is creating tension in the relationship between Archer and Josie when the novel opens, but this i
Anna
Jan 18, 2016 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
More train/bus reading. OK-ish, but didn't pass the Agatha Christie test. In other words: I could figure out at the 25% mark whodunnit, even if the characters in-novel remained clueless. Unlike the first novel, it was super obvious what had happened.
Spam-Boy
Mar 14, 2012 Spam-Boy rated it it was amazing
If I ever find myself on trial, I am calling Josie Baylor-Bates from Rebecca Forster's Witness series to defend me. Ms. Forster is a genius and her character development is impeccable and you will find yourself reeling between tears and cheers throughout the whole book. The hours of research jump off the page at you and it is obvious that she knows her stuff! Just save yourself the trouble and get the whole series because if you read one, you'll read them all. "6 out of 5 STARS"
Susannah Carleton
Gritty and intriguing. When Archer is arrested for the murder of his stepson--a child Josie Baylor-Bates had never heard him mention--Josie is stunned. That doesn't stop her from doing what she perceives as her duty, which is presenting him. His bail is posted by a man Archer cannot stand, Archer's late wife's (Lexi) ex-husband, who walked away from Lexi and their mentally and physically handicapped son when the boy was three.

But things are not as they seem. The ex-husband didn't post Archer's
Joann
Mar 29, 2016 Joann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book of the series featuring Jose Baylor-Bates a lawyer. Josie is back defending her boyfriend, Archer, who is accused of killing his handicapped step-son. There are a lot of characters added to this plot about the murder but not so many that you can't stay with the plot. On the home front, Jose is having mother/daughter issues because Hannah, the troubled teen from her first book that has been placed in her care. It is a well written book with a lot of twists and turns. I wil ...more
Quillracer
This second book in the series was as engaging as the first even though it had a much darker tone than that one as the main character’s lover, Archer, is accused of killing his handicapped stepson several years earlier.

Forster still hasn’t given Archer a first name, something I found distancing for one of the primary characters in these books. And we still aren’t sure how Josie and Archer became lovers. As in the first book, she doesn’t reveal how it happened, just that it is.

The main character,
Feb 26, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Loved it. Loved it. I am so enthralled with this series I can't get enough. I love the plots, the characters and everything about the books.
I enjoyed learning more about Archer in this book and I really felt for him in the end. I can honestly say I felt his pain when I read the last thing he said in this book and it takes a special talent to make that kind of impression on me. I do hope we see more of Jude in more books for some reason I really like that character. Great book and I can
Kat Collins
Jul 07, 2012 Kat Collins rated it really liked it
Silent Witness is Rebecca Forster's send novel in the Witness Series. This was a deeply moving follow-up to her first novel, Hostile Witness.

Josie Baylor-Bates had given up her lucrative criminal defense practice some years ago, after a former client, one she successfully defended on a murder charge, turned around and killed her own children. She retreated to the small community of Hermosa Beach and a nice and quiet little law practice. Then a former college roommate asked her to defend her daug
Gayla Nelson
Jun 03, 2012 Gayla Nelson rated it really liked it
The second book in the witness series that I am reading by Rebecca Forster and it was also a page turner, just like the first! It can be read in isolation and make fine sense, but it picks up right where the first book left off and knowing the back story to so many of her references makes this book all the better. She writes amazing lawyer stories for someone who is not a lawyer - even though she is married to a district court judge and he helps her out with some of the legal terminology. Her im ...more
Linda Brueggeman
SILENT WITNESS

This is a fantastic book!! Read HOSTILE WITNESS first. It is great, too. SILENT WITNESS is a romance, suspense, and mystery novel all rolled into one. The characters are well developed, and the storyline is solid. You don't know who the romantic couple is going to be. It keeps you guessing, and it's hard to put down. I highly recommend it. The author is very talented.
Lavinia Thompson
Jan 20, 2012 Lavinia Thompson rated it really liked it
Just like in "Hostile Witness" Rebecca Forster weaves a mysterious thriller that keeps the reader guessing until the end. I am loving the "Witness" series!

In this suspenseful sequel, Josie Bates is back and Archer is in trouble. She and Archer must weave through the murder accusations against Archer all while Josie tries to make a normal home for Hannah, the teenage defendant from Josie's previous case in "Hostile Witness."

I didn't find this one as exciting as the first book, but that being sa
Linda Wise
Jul 16, 2014 Linda Wise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twists and turns

Twists and turns

I liked this story because the suspicion moved around so much. I didn't even figure it out until 3/4 of the way through. Even then it surprised me. I have a very deep loathing of lawyers. Josie and Jude are not your typical lawyers. I like reading about lawyers with integrity even if it is total fantasy.
Rayne
Jun 24, 2015 Rayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two books into the series and I have become a fan. I didn't think I would enjoy a courtroom drama style book but this is delivered in such a way that I just want to know how it all turns out. Josie has grown on me and I actually have started to like her character. Jude was another great addition. The story line was strong and the 'case' was intriguing.
Dee Cash
Oct 02, 2015 Dee Cash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good But Not Good Enough

I like Silent Witness by Rebecca Forster but I don't like this.trend of writting books that never seem to end. Authors write one then they write ten more about the same people. It gets old. I like a good mystery you.can enjoy and be done with it.
Donald L Clendaniel
Keeps you guessing to the end

Forster picks up where the first in the series leaves off bringing back the favorite cast and several new faces I hope we see again. the stage is set for several new roads for Josie as the series continues and the story keeps you guessing who did it and why. Surprises even after the crime is solved all the way until the final paragraph. if you enjoyed Hostile Witness you should find this a great read.
DE ANN ALLEN
Aug 12, 2014 DE ANN ALLEN rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another shocking novel by Forester

Another shocking novel by Forester

I have become a fan of Forester. This novel has some riveting surprises with the characters becoming more and more interesting.A must read for anyone who likes thrillers.
Vanessa G. Gray
May 20, 2016 Vanessa G. Gray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful mystery

Really enjoyed this story it kept my interest throughout the whole book. I was 80% through the book before I thought I knew who the murder was. This is the second book of Rebecca Forster and both I have not wanted to put down.
Isis Ray-sisco
Mar 06, 2015 Isis Ray-sisco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-reads
I liked it but not as much as the first book. I debated rating it a 4 or a 5 and initially went ahead and rated a 5. Now I am on the third book and it is better than this one as well. So I am re-rating it a 4. I hope all the rest of the books in the series are just as good as book 1 and 3.
Kim Hammond-beyer
Oct 20, 2014 Kim Hammond-beyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intense

great series. I usually like more humor in my mysteries but the complexities of the characters make up the lack of humor. even though I knew what probably happened fairly early, it still made me stay up until 1am reading it.
Beth Lechman
Jan 09, 2015 Beth Lechman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how she does it but Rebecca Forster keeps you coming back for more. This is the second in the series and I loved it. Between romance suspense and intrique she keeps you on the edge of your seat until the end. Definitely brings her characters to life.
James Jackson
Apr 25, 2013 James Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Hostile Witness, the first in the Witness series, I picked up this, the second. The writing was perhaps a bit stronger than her first, and I suspect it will continue to improve as the series progresses.

The issue that cost a star was motivation of the character who was mainly responsible for triggering the story. While most of the motivations in the book felt plausible (even when they were surprising) that particular one felt contrived, a stretch I wished I did not have to make. Not
Linda
Jan 25, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you read [[ASIN:B002Z7G0QO HOSTILE WITNESS (The Witness Series)]], then you are familiar with Josie Baylor-Bates, Archer & Hannah. Hannah has moved in with Josie, creating some tension between Archer and both women, but life goes on.

Unfortunately, Archer is suddenly accused of killing his challenged Step-Son, 2 yrs previously. Josie is thrown for a loop, because she knew nothing about a Step-Son. We have the real Dad stirring the mix, to boot.

Rebecca Forster is a mistress of suspense and
Tiffany
Aug 12, 2016 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me sad and angry because of how Archer is portrayed. I wondered to myself if I could be with someone like him or rather, if his character is realistic. Maybe... I mean, you respect him but don't.
Patricia J Plumb
Good read

Awesome and fun read. Full of twists and turns and I really like the build up of characters. I didn't like the audio though. The reader we too weak. I am looking forward to the next book.
Scott Babcock
Feb 11, 2014 Scott Babcock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful read

The book captures your attention from the beginning and holds it until the end. As it states in the book, the pieces of the puzzle comes together to with one revelation.
Tammy Cannon
Oct 30, 2015 Tammy Cannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series

Great as usual
Interesting characters, archer not as likeable but overall an interesting read..iook forward to reading the next book.
Diane
Jun 19, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good. Not great.

You will keep reading well into the night, though. And maybe pick it up first thing in the morning. Easy, entertaining read.
  • Executive Lunch (A Sedona O'Hala Mystery #1)
  • In Dog We Trust (Golden Retriever Mystery #1)
  • State of Rebellion (Pug Connor, #1)
  • Wet Desert: Tracking Down a Terrorist on the Colorado River
  • Death by Killer Mop Doll (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery, #2)
  • Running of the Bulls (Fifth Avenue #2)
  • Paydirt
  • Terminal Ambition, A Maggie Mahoney Novel
  • The Covert Element (James Becker, #3)
  • The Lethal Effect
  • Black Daffodil
  • The Puzzle (Samantha Jamison Mystery #1)
  • Death Benefits (Southern Fraud Thriller, #2)
  • Jimmy the Racing Frog
  • Murder In Half Moon Bay (A Jillian Bradley Mystery #1)
  • Fire-Heart (Tales of Alterra, The World That Is #2)
  • Convictions
  • Vengeance (Jet, #3)
On a crazy dare. Now, with over 33 books to my name including the bestselling Witness Series featuring Josie Bates and the USA Today Best Seller KEEPING COUNSEL, writing is my passion.

Before I began my creative career, I earned my B.A. and MBA and worked as an advertising executive. I have taught at the UCLA Writers Program, SEAK conference and other writing venues. I also volunteer with the Youn
More about Rebecca Forster...

Witness Series, (7 books)
  • Hostile Witness (Witness Series, #1)
  • Privileged Witness (Witness Series, #3)
  • Expert Witness (Witness Series, #4)
  • Eyewitness (Witness Series, #5)
  • Forgotten Witness (Witness Series #6)
  • Dark Witness (Witness Series #7)

“He hadn't actually lied to her about anything; she had erred in her assumptions about his life. What Archer knew about Josie was what she chose for him to know; what she knew about him was what he decided to tell her. They had reveled in their independence and now she knew that was a mistake. Understanding that made her feel lost. It was natural for a lover to believe she knew everything - intuitively, instinctively and intimately - about the man she had committed to. Wasn't it?” 1 likes
“work” 0 likes