Start by marking “Bell, Book, and Murder: The Bast Mysteries ” as Want to Read:
Bell, Book, and Murder: The Bast Mysteries

Bell, Book, and Murder: The Bast Mysteries (Bast Mystery omnibus)

Rosemary Edghill cast a keenly observant, friendly, yet faintly amused eye on an intriguing American micro-culture. The Bast novels offer a very new view of the practitioners of a very old faith. Edghill allows that there's still magic in the air.

Rosemary Edghill's Bast novels are a real treat. Bell, Book, and Murder contains all three Bast novels, Speak Daggers to Her, Bo
Published August 15th 1998 by Forge Books

Kitty
Mar 22, 2010 Kitty rated it liked it
I actually picked up this book a few years ago, but for some reason, it got buried on my bookshelf, forgotten until late last year. It's actually three books in one: Speak Daggers to her, Book of Moons and The Bowl of the Night. I read the first two late last year, and just now finally finished the third.

The characters are interesting, and the mysteries are decent. It's not the most gripping, but there were moments. However, this is most definitely a "Pagan/Wiccan" book series. I really can't i
Geri Hoekzema
May 29, 2013 Geri Hoekzema rated it liked it
It's always unfortunate when speechifying gets in the way of a story. As I remember, back in the early 1990s, editorializing - stuffing an otherwise solid murder mystery with author opinions on social, religious or political issues - was fairly common. I first read the Bast mysteries about 12-13 years ago, and the editorializing didn't stick out like a sore thumb. This time it did.

Thankfully, that time seems to be pretty much over. If Edghill were writing her Bast mysteries in 2013, she wouldn'
Lise
Sep 09, 2016 Lise rated it it was amazing
I will speak daggers to her, but use none. (Hamlet: III,ii)

More than twenty years ago Rosemary Edghill was caught by the mystery of the sudden death of a healthy young woman in her 20’s. Add to that the ethical violations within the New Age Community that were not taken seriously and Speak Daggers to Her was born. (FM Writers)

“Miriam’s dead.”

It was Lace on the phone, which meant that Miriam was Miriam Seabrook, and Miriam was my age. People in their middle thirties don’t just up and die.

“Ba
Tracy Terry
Dec 01, 2016 Tracy Terry rated it it was ok
One of those books I came to with no preconceived ideas whatsoever. Would the book(s) concentrate more on Bast's lifestyle as a modern day Witch and if so would they be stereotypical of what people think a modern Witch is? Would they concentrate more on the mysteries and if so would they be well plotted or would the twists be predictable and easily spotted?

Overall a book I'd rate as 'OK'. However ...

If asked to rate the Wiccan/Neo-Pagan element of the story alone I'd have to go with three stars
Azra
Jul 17, 2014 Azra rated it really liked it
I remember reading the first two of the Bast mysteries when they first came out way back when but I had never read the third one. The first two were as good as I remembered but it had been so long since I read them, I didn't remember how they ended.

The third book was also good except for one thing: I can't stand it when it's fairly early in a story and I say, "He/She/It did it!" I hold out hope against hope that I'm wrong and there will be a fantastic twist annnnndddd...nope. It was all there in
Sian Jones
Good, solid mysteries with more-than-usual thoughtfulness about the real-world impact of all the violence that so casually inhabits this genre. I love a tough, intelligent female lead, and the Wiccan world Bast inhabits is both realistically mundane and mysterious, everyday dreary and ecstatic. Bast's independent thinking leads her away from the societal center again and again, and the books don't shy from the repercussions of that, the sadness, the loneliness. Instead of Jessica Fletcher, happi ...more
Mary
Sep 16, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
1) "Speak Daggers to her" 3 stars
2) "Book of Moons" 4 stars
3) "The Bowl of Night" 3.5 stars

Aus Books & Reading
molly
Mar 19, 2013 molly rated it did not like it
I was looking for some good Wiccan fiction, and this was a real let down. The description and premise were so promising, yet the contents were incredibly disappointing. The characters were one-dimensional and the plot "twists" were visible from a mile away. Not what you want in a mystery novel! The editing was atrocious -- filled with grammatical mistakes, typographical errors, obvious timeline issues and an embarrassing amount of unnecessary repetition. I read a first edition omnibus, so hopefu ...more
Sandy
This is a collection of 3 mysteries, all featuring Bast and the NY Wiccan community. Between the first and the second, I read an introductory book about Wicca, which helped to make these books more understandable - so probably at least a little background would be useful.

Each of the 3 books is a standalone, but reading them in order does help to establish a context for the characters (since many of the same characters are in all 3 books).

I enjoyed them.
Wendy
Dec 06, 2011 Wendy rated it it was ok
This series came recommended to me years ago. It was very hard to find for me. Well, all I can say is it is Wicca and I was (sob) disappointed. I did not care for the protagonist, storyline or anything really. I read the trilogy because I kept desperately hoping the books would get better for me. I waited SO LONG to find and complete the series.
That does not mean anyone else will dislike it. After all, Edghill is a great author. Just not for me...
Heather
Aug 19, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who enjoy mysteries and are interested in Paganism.
Recommended to Heather by: This site
I really enjoyed reading this. It is a collection of three mystery books. I am glad that I read it now rather than when they were written. These books were written in the '90s when I had just graduated high school and I would not have understood much of the paganism in the books. Also I would not have understood much of the science fiction references that she made. But after watching reruns and studing Paganism I really appreciate these books. I would love to read more like these.
Alexandra Chauran
Jun 24, 2013 Alexandra Chauran rated it it was amazing
This book was so engaging that it made me envy her skill as an author. It is the type of book that you can open up to any random page, read a paragraph and be entertained. The perfect companion to a day when you might have to pick up the book, set it down again, and then pick it up to find some peace. I thoroughly enjoyed the mysteries and I wish that the author would take up this old series again.
Carolina Dean
Jan 08, 2017 Carolina Dean rated it liked it
I finished the first of three stories in the trilogy while sick in bed with a cold and found it a light read, but also engaging enough that I wasn't bored. If you were a Wiccan in the 90's you'll find this interesting, but if you you are looking for magical fiction this book is not for you. It's basically Silver Ravenwolf solves a murder mystery using her knowledge of and connections in the Pagan community but not magic.
Terje Fokstuen
Aug 17, 2016 Terje Fokstuen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good books

These are enjoyable mysteries without much gore with a seriously likeable heroine. All three stories in this collection take place in the pagan new age community of greater NYC. The plots are not strong but the world building and the characters are terrific. Highly recommended.
Nicole Diamond
Nov 08, 2011 Nicole Diamond rated it liked it
If it has one star I liked it a lot
If it has two stars I liked it a lot and would recommend it
If it has three stars I really really liked it a lot
If it has four stars I insist you read it
If it has five stars it was life changing
Althea Flame
Jul 13, 2013 Althea Flame rated it really liked it
l did not get into it as much as I thought I would. It did not keep me on edge and therefore it was not the fast read I expect of a mystery. I enjoyed the main character though and the way she describes being Wiccan in the 90s in New York City.
Todd R
Jul 24, 2015 Todd R rated it really liked it
Perhaps my favorite real world witchy book. When I read these in the 90's it was refreshingly real in it's portrayal of the Magic community and still a book I like to revisit. I will say that the original artwork for the series of books was much better..
kvon
Oct 19, 2008 kvon rated it it was amazing
A trilogy of mysteries. I'd read the first two years ago and remembered really enjoying them. I still love the writing. The mysteries themselves seemed somewhat obvious, but the real point of these stories is more exploring the Pagan/Wicca community of NYC. Great characterizations.
Carol
Jan 26, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
New York witch and her community-I really enjoyed this book.
Renee Petersen
It's a romp.
Kathleen Cobcroft
Feb 21, 2012 Kathleen Cobcroft rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
An excellent read, though I didn't like all of the books equally. As of Sept 2012 there is a new book out with Bast short stories (Kindle edition only) - Failure of Moonlight.
Kathrin
Jan 30, 2016 Kathrin rated it liked it
Book no. 14 in 2011.
Patricia Mick
Apr 04, 2013 Patricia Mick rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
good main character funny ,not really sure of the path for her life.kind of an old fashioned murder mystery with a new paranormal twist
Rosalie
Apr 09, 2010 Rosalie rated it it was amazing
I always wanted more of this series. Still hope there will be.
Sara
Mar 12, 2014 Sara rated it liked it
Interesting mysteries with the added twist of the Wiccan culture since the main character belongs to it in NYC. I admit to skimming through parts of those explanations though.
Michelle Wardhaugh
A very unique set of myteries, the last being the most worthy of attention. You also get introduced into a less vocal sub-set of society - neo-paganism.
Nelly
Mar 20, 2008 Nelly rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable mix of New Age Traditions very respectfully done. Well combined with a murder mystery thaty kept me reading long past the time I needed to go to bed.
Darien
Aug 10, 2012 Darien rated it it was amazing
Excellent trilogy of murder mystery stories, along with an insightful look into pagan & wiccan traditions.
Kate
Mar 18, 2008 Kate rated it liked it
A collection of three entertaining mysteries set in the NYC wicca community (originally published separately). Edghill's wry portray of the various wiccan personalities and types are spot-on.
Bryan
Dec 28, 2012 Bryan rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this series very much!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Harm None (A Rowan Gant Investigation #1)
  • Circle Of Five (A Cass Shipton Mystery, #1)
  • Making the Saint (Circle of Three, #10)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Pisces Rising (Elizabeth Chase, #4)
  • I Try Not to Drive Past Cemeteries (Brianna Sullivan Mysteries, #1)
  • Restless Spirit (Sam Casey Mystery, #3)
  • The Goat-Foot God
Rosemary Edghill is a pen-name of Eluki Bes Shahar.

She was born long enough ago to have seen Classic Trek on its first outing and to remember that she once thought Spock Must Die! to be great literature. As she aged, she put aside her fond dreams of taking over for Batman when he retired, and returned to her first love, writing. Her first SF sale (as eluki bes shahar) was the Hellflower series, i
More about Rosemary Edghill...

Bast Mystery (3 books)
  • Speak Daggers to Her (Bast Mystery, #1)
  • Book of Moons (Bast Mystery, #2)
  • The Bowl of Night (Bast Mystery, #3)