Start by marking “Dragonforge (Dragon Age, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dragonforge (Dragon Age, #2)

Dragonforge (Dragon Age #2)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  342 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
After the death of King Albekizan, Shandrazel and his allies struggle to keep the kingdom intact as the radical human prophet, Ragnar gathers forces to launch a full scale rebellion against the dragons. When all out war erupts, legendary dragon hunter, Bitterwood, must face his own personal daemons and choose where his loyalty really lies
Published June 24th 2008 by Solaris (first published 2008)

Jason Garman
Jul 03, 2011 Jason Garman rated it really liked it
Warning: This review contains major spoilers for Bitterwood (Book 1 of the Bitterwood Trilogy).
Stop reading now if you don’t want to know what happened in Bitterwood

What It’s About

The old dragon king is dead, and his dream of human genocide is dead with him. The new king dreams of a better world where all the sentient races can live together in a just society, but this dream is not without opponents. A prominent human prophet sees the old king’s death as the perfect time to start an uprising to
Marcus
Jul 16, 2012 Marcus rated it really liked it
Despite problems, I couldn't help but like this book. First, let me get my main gripe out of the way.

In this sequel to Bitterwood where intelligent dragons rule the world there are two humans named Jandra & Pet. Pet, cloistered as a dragon's pet for many years desires Jandra in a big way. Jandra alternates between attraction/repulsion of Pet but privately desires him as well. Pretty routine as far as storybook romances go and nothing shocking in this passage:
"He (Pet) drifted into a fantasy
Garrett
May 13, 2009 Garrett rated it it was amazing
I finished this one last month but just haven't gotten around to writing the review.

I liked this one about as much as the previous book.

Setting: We get to see a little more of the world. The lair of the goddess and the Nest were both kind of cool and fun. The whole dimensional travel and stuff just felt a bit weird and out of place (even though this is supposed to be far future) though. Maybe even a bit too convenient.

Plot: There were 2-3 main storylines here. And a couple sub-plots. Nothing too
Loren
Jan 07, 2010 Loren rated it really liked it
From ISawLightningFall.com

Middle installments of trilogies are tough going. Trapped between initial exposition and the ultimate conclusion, the author must entice his audience without the aid of novelty or resolution. No wonder that so many feel muddled and meandering, a detour from the story's destination rather than a stop along the way. But occasionally you'll happen upon one that consolidates the best parts of its predecessor, dumps its flaws and transforms into a standout novel in its own r
Erin
Sep 09, 2008 Erin rated it liked it
This book had the unfortunate position of being the fifth fantasy book I read during a fantasy binge that I was on. I'm normally not a big fantasy reader, so by this one, I was burned out on fantasy. The point being that I might have liked it more if I wasn't in a hurry to get it over and done with.

You could argue that this book isn't even fantasy (more like science fiction) since it takes place in the future and involves very unfantasy-like plot lines with nano technology and genetic modificati
Snufkin
Oct 09, 2014 Snufkin rated it really liked it
A gripping novel from start to finish!
Following 'Bitterwood', the ideal world envisioned by Shandrazel is harder to put into practice than at first imagined. A very real account of the struggles of peace, war and diplomacy in a magical context!
Kevin
Jul 05, 2012 Kevin rated it liked it
The sequel to Bitterwood, this novel follows Jandra, Bitterwood, and the other characters as they continue to try and create equality between dragons and humans. As I started the book, I realized that I only remember bits and chucks of the first one, and I spent some time on Google trying to see if I could reconstruct the plot. I couldn't. However, I did find out that the author is a fairly devout atheist. Thankfully, this new information didn't affect my enjoyment of the book. Maxey's plot is s ...more
Claire
Mar 25, 2010 Claire rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
This is a follow on from book 1, "Bitterwood". I felt that this one was a lot better - the timeline was more consistent and less confusing, and it explained in further detail about the history of the humans and dragons which I found really interesting. I also enjoyed the dragons (though maybe not so much the Romeo and Juliet love story!).

I did wonder, though, that if all the females have to live together in the Nest, why is the Queen allowed to live in the palace? Why is she different?

I will def
Beth A.
Nov 23, 2008 Beth A. rated it really liked it
Recommended to Beth A. by: OSC
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
This book took me forever to read, not because it wasn’t good, I just didn’t have any time to read. It made it a little difficult to keep some of the minor characters straight.

I really enjoyed this story! I almost don’t know who to root for, especially when it’s told from Jandra’s point of view. Like real life, there are good guys on both sides. Like real life, characters change.

A middle books in a series, this book has a lot of untied ends, and I just can’t wait to find out what happens next.
Cindy
Jul 31, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2009
What I like about James Maxey is that he grows as a writer. Not many people can admit that something is wrong with the book and change it like he did. I was a little unprepared for the whole sci-fi world jumping that was brought into this series but then again that just made it even better.

I do have to admit it got a little crazy but in the end it made a lot of sense. I was a little confused about the whole prophets thing and sorta wished there was a middle ground were people did believe in god
Victoria
Aug 17, 2013 Victoria rated it really liked it
A sequel to Bitterwood, this book is far better than it's predecessor by miles. Not that Bitterwood was bad, it was just average.
Dragonforge was captivating and creative. Though I guessed a few of the plot twists, there were an equal number that were a shock. Maxey also does a fantastic exploration and elaboration of the world of The Dragon Age. This is one of the strong points of the book. The imagination and description of how the world came to be is simply fantastic.

Also, Blasphet is awesome
Kathy Bowman
Nov 18, 2008 Kathy Bowman rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
You may wonder why, after reading my review of Bitterwood, I would bother to read the sequel. I ran out of books and it was just sitting there looking unread, so I read it.

I'm glad I did, because the author seems to have developed his writing voice a little more. I enjoyed this one much more. It is a quirky view into a fantasy world with glimpses of how our world today became the world described in the book. It's entertaining enough, yet doesn't stand out above its peers in the fantasy genre.
Brian
Feb 07, 2013 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Better than most middle books of trilogies I've read. Maxey delivers fast-paced hijinks with dragons and massive battles and (view spoiler), but also depicts a society coming apart at the seams at the same time it's trying to remake itself, and the pain and hate and suffering that such conflicts can cause (leaving our protagonists in a (view spoiler). Fun and thought-provoking, quite an achieve ...more
Geno Kludt
Oct 16, 2008 Geno Kludt rated it really liked it
I found it even better than the first one, as it explains some of the magic in the book better, mostly through the use of one of the more amusing characters in the first one (aka: the human girl who was raised by dragons)
One of the antongonists in the book kind of annoyed me a bit with how they were written compared to the rest of the characters, but it leaves me waiting for the next one to come out, mostly just to figure out what happens to all the people.
Aroura
Oct 04, 2011 Aroura rated it really liked it
Still just as intricately done as "Bitterwood!" Characters make major changes or stay the same, but it always feels right. Maxey unerringly builds the story so when things happen that you didn't see coming, you feel like, maybe not that you should have known, but that there really wasn't any other way it was going to happen.
Have you seriously not read the Dragon Age novels? Hi! Go get "Bitterwood" right NOW! These are NOT your typical dragon stories!
Shayna
Feb 12, 2012 Shayna rated it really liked it
I started this series with this book, the second one. I found the Scifi/fantasy crossover really interesting. The story comes together well and makes a convincing world that is easy to immerse yourself in. I loved the way dragons were portrayed in this novel, with a lot of thought given to the way they move, think and interact with others.
Kat Philipp
Feb 25, 2015 Kat Philipp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book

I am so glad I found this set of books I can not wait for the next book I know it will be as great if not better
Enya
Sep 15, 2010 Enya rated it really liked it
This was the book after Bitterwood, and it was equally captivating. It was really fun and I went through it quickly. However, even though some series still work if one reads them out of order, this one wouldn't have made any sense at all if I had read it before Bitterwood. Read in order! It'll be more fun that way.
Cobar B
Mar 17, 2012 Cobar B rated it really liked it

Dragonforge is a cross fiction novel, filled to the brim with action and character development that has gripped me to the end. Science fiction and fantasy, its story is woven tightly with firm plausibility, I just couldn't find faults to doubt its world. I love the punchy prose as well.
David
Jun 28, 2013 David rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Decent enough book, I did grow wearisome of the religion bashing after a point, and some of the reveals I smelled a mile away given the things that went on in Bitterwood. I'm hoping the third book washes away some of the disappointment this one left me with.
S.L. Finley
Jul 08, 2015 S.L. Finley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am completely obsessed with this series. Wow, what an ending! I'll be starting the next one as soon as possible!
Patty
Jul 12, 2009 Patty rated it really liked it
The second book showed more of the science-fiction aspect of this interesting fantasy world this author created...as well as raising more questions about the world and its organisims living in it.
Ben
Oct 23, 2013 Ben rated it liked it
Was a bit weird at the end. The inclusion of Jax made little sense, and the end was a bit anti-climatic if you ask me. Overall was a decent book and I like the take on dragons and humans.
Christina
Aug 22, 2012 Christina rated it liked it
As good as the first book. Love all the plot twist that make a book fun and interesting. Philosophical discussion and a nice mixture of humor make this book a fun read.
Zach
Dec 23, 2015 Zach rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable but long book. I love how the author managed to fit fantasy, sci-fi, history, and religion all into one book without ruining it.
Meagan
Aug 04, 2011 Meagan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad, if there's a third I'd like to see how it goes.
Chad Wicker
Chad Wicker is currently reading it
Feb 11, 2016
Nina
Nina added it
Feb 09, 2016
JoAnne
JoAnne marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
  • Dragon's Teeth (Stonefort, #2)
  • Sword of Fire and Sea (The Chaos Knight, #1)
  • Legends of the Dragonrealm, Vol. II
  • Dragon Mage
  • Dragon Rule (Age of Fire, #5)
  • Wizard of the Winds (Tales of the Timuras, #1)
  • The Prince of Dreams (Seven Brothers, #2)
  • Chaosbound (Runelords, #8)
  • Bringer of Storms (Binding of the Blade #2)
  • The Sea Hag
  • Act of Will
  • Servant of a Dark God
  • The Dragon Nimbus Novels: Volume I
  • Midwinter
  • The Sea Change (The Chronicles of Josan, #2)
  • From Embers (A Dragonswarm Short Story, #1)
  • Blood of the Emperor (The Annals of Drakis, #3)
  • The Dragon Done It
I've been an avid reader since I first picked up a book. Luckily, I was within biking distance of three different libraries growing up. I was a skinny kid. If only I had maintained that link between biking and reading, I might be a skinny adult.

I'm also a writer. I wrote my first book as a kid, an adventure about pirates and ghosts. When I was a teenager, I used to write superhero adventures. The
More about James Maxey...

Dragon Age (5 books)
  • Tornado of Sparks (Bitterwood Trilogy)
  • Dawn of Dragons
  • Bitterwood (Dragon Age, #1)
  • Dragonseed (Dragon Age, #3)

“I decided long ago that life's absurd. If you don't develop a sense of humor, it will drive you mad.” 12 likes
“watching the sky, contemplating the restorative power of unexpected kindness.” 0 likes