Start by marking “Ben Hogan: An American Life” as Want to Read:
Ben Hogan: An American Life

Ben Hogan: An American Life

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Authorized, intimate, and definitive, Ben Hogan: A Life is the long-awaited biography of one of golf’s greatest, most enigmatic legends, narrated with the unique eloquence that has made author James Dodson a critically acclaimed national bestseller.

One man is often credited with shaping the landscape of modern golf. Ben Hogan was a short, trim, impeccably dressed Texan wh
Published May 3rd 2005 by Three Rivers Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Ben Hogan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ben Hogan

Robert Strandquist
Dodson's comprehensive and well researched narrative of golf's most compelling star keenly glosses over the rougher edges of Hogan's life without ignoring them. Most telling in this regard is Dodson's insistence that Hogan's socially cold shoulder is a psychological defense barrier protecting a dark secret. Dodson skillfully weaves Ben's dark secret, the death of his father, into the dark thread of personal tragedy throughout the entire work. Dodson creates a cocoon of sympathy around Ben as he ...more
Mahlon
Sep 01, 2009 Mahlon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Golf fans, fans of great Biography
Recommended to Mahlon by: Amazon
Shelves: read-2009
James Dobson's An American Life is the definitive Biography of Ben Hogan, who won 9 Majors in his career and dominated the sport in his era. Hogan was one of the most beloved sports figures of his day, but was notoriously shy off the course, preferring the company of a few close friends to the prying eyes of an adoring public, because of this he was unfairly saddled with the nickname "The Wee Ice Man" Dobson has managed to penetrate the curtain of silence that has always surrounded Hogan, talkin ...more
J.C.
Dec 13, 2007 J.C. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cinderella boys
fantastic. I didn't know much about the man except that he came was a great player who was victim of a car accident but returned to continue his remarkable career, this was the story that I heard, it didn't seem like much.

Early in his career many thought he would never win a tournament. having two separate tries at making it as a tour player, he failed miserably and limped home broke. on what was his "final" attempt, he finally learned to win and that led to a few more tournament wins. He had f
Meg
A fascinating, well-written, and thoroughly researched book about an amazing man. I am a golf fan, but this book is so expansive from a historical and human standpoint that golf knowledge is not required. Two of many examples that stand out to me: Jack Fleck's epiphany from a bathroom mirror and the melancholy (my emotion) yet uplifting (go figure) last days of Hogan's life. I can't wait to read this again, and that's my barometer to measure what makes a book great.
Ben Matteson
I'm in the middle of re-reading this a second time. I really like this book and not because of golf, but because of the careful research and description of Ben Hogan the human being.
Randy
This biography is a fascinating story of a man who had to overcome so many obstacles to achieve greatness, and is an inspiring reminder that greatness usually doesn’t come easily.

Mr. Dodson comes as close as possible to accurately portraying a very complex man, a man who will always be an enigma to many. My only criticism of this book is its length. I wonder if so many details are necessary. I guess to some readers they are. To me, however, it slowed the book down.

If I could I've give this book
Kirk
Feb 28, 2008 Kirk rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any one that loves golf
Recommended to Kirk by: Mike gave it to me for Xmas
Great book, even for those of you that don't appreciate the game (and if you don't, what good are you?) Anyway, good read. Hogan was, in many ways, a combination of Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson.
Brian123
Loved this book, if your a fan of golf history or sports in my opinion it has to include obtaining knowledge and understanding of the importance of Ben Hogan. This is the book!!
Amani
What a true life story about resilience, perseverance and just practicing your craft. So many ups and downs Ben Hogan went through. He was an amazing golfer in his day. Wow.
Shannon
If you have a passion for golf, this is the book for you. I just haven't acquired a knack for the sport quite yet. Pretty inspiring read though.
Mark
Best biography of any type/genre that I have read. It reads easily and you cannot put it down. It may sound cliched, but it is true.
Greg
Excellent biography on Ben Hogan. Spends a lot of time on his golf life but also adds his personal side.
Murray Sullivan
If you love golf you will love this story. An amazing life centered on excellent golf.
Mark
dude should have died in car wreck instead he became a legend
Craig
Great portrait of the somewhat reclusive life of Mr. Hogan.
Glenn M
Dodson glorifys Hogan
Dick
Excellent.
Clemente Torres
Clemente Torres marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Patrick Delaney
Patrick Delaney marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Kevin Moos
Kevin Moos marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Matthew Stetz
Matthew Stetz marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
  • The Grand Slam: Bobby Jones, America, and the Story of Golf
  • Caddy for Life: The Bruce Edwards Story
  • Three Months in the Southern States: April-June 1863
  • Cinderella Story: My Life in Golf
  • Tommy's Honor: The Story of Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris, Golf's Founding Father and Son
  • Payne Stewart: The Authorized Biography
  • Arnie and Jack: Palmer, Nicklaus, and Golf's Greatest Rivalry
  • Golf Is a Game of Confidence
  • Johnny U: The Life and Times of John Unitas
  • Chocolate Chocolate: The True Story of Two Sisters, Tons of Treats, and the Little Shop That Could
  • While They're at War: The True Story of American Families on the Homefront
  • A Course Called Ireland: A Long Walk in Search of a Country, a Pint, and the Next Tee
  • The Card: Collectors, Con Men, and the True Story of History's Most Desired Baseball Card
  • Beyond Glory: Joe Louis vs. Max Schmeling, and a World on the Brink
  • The Ultimate Battle: Okinawa, 1945: The Last Epic Struggle of World War II
  • No Better Place to Die: Ste. Mere-Eglise, June 1944: The Battle for La Fiere Bridge
  • Scum of the Earth
  • Letters of a Nation
James Dodson is the author of seven books, including Final Rounds and Ben Hogan: An American Life. He lives with his family in Southern Pines, North Carolina."
More about James Dodson...
Final Rounds: A Father, a Son, the Golf Journey of a Lifetime American Triumvirate: Sam Snead, Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan, and the Modern Age of Golf The Dewsweepers Faithful Travelers A Son of the Game: A Story of Golf, Going Home, and Sharing Life's Lessons