Return of the Emerald Skull (Barnaby Grimes)

Return of the Emerald Skull (Barnaby Grimes #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Barnaby Grimes isa tick-tock lad, running errands in his city, day and night, and high-stacking around the rooftops in search of new mysteries to solve. This is a fantastic romp through a Dickensian-style city, with a wonderful new hero in the guise of Barnaby.

After collecting a strange parcel from a deserted ship in the fog of the docks, and delivering it to the local sch...more
Published February 10th 2009 by David Fickling Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Return of the Emerald Skull, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return of the Emerald Skull

An Odd1
"Return of the Emerald Skull" (Barnaby Grimes) by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell brings Aztec cruelty on the eclipse. Barnaby, lanky Victorian London tick-tock delivery boy starts narration with scariest highlight, raising stone knife commanded by evil whisper to cut out the beating heart, deleting whose, then backtracks. First Barnaby picks up what should be a stuffed catincatapetl bird "the emerald messenger of darkness - named after the Toltec demon god Catincatepetl, Master of the Underworld...more
Teen Department Homewood Library
Mar 10, 2009 Teen Department Homewood Library rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the supernatural, adventure and action.
Barnaby Grimes is back with another hair-raising adventure. Something evil has taken over Grassington Hall, an all-boys school on the outskirts of London. It's up to Barnaby to find out what's going on and put a stop to the evil force at work there.

This was an excellent quick-read. The authors pull you immediately into the story and don't stop until it's over. New characters are introduced in this second book, and hopefully they'll stick around for subsequent titles. Highly recommended!
Andrew
This was the next in the series i read - (see Nightwolf) and as such does make passing reference to it however reading it you could almost see these books in any order as there is no hard and fast chronology. The same gaslight smog ridden magical and horrifying London comes through and even with such a small book and simple read it still managed to purvey the feel on London from that era which i think is as much a character as any you are likely to meet in these books
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
2.5

This is a pretty fun action-adventure series, with dark tones. It's a quick and easy read, pure brain candy.

Only a 2.5 because while it's fun enough, it's still just a little over ok for me. I'm going to have to resign myself to the fact that there's just not going to be much in the way of character depth or development - but I keep hoping for something more than a serviceable adventure type thing.
FrumpBurger
From the beginning, awkward and irritating. Trying too hard and it's abundantly clear. Plus, I felt like the emerald skull was a little racist, as it's evil but mimics Aztec religious rituals. I dunno. Maybe if I were a 12 yr old boy, this would have done more for me, but I'm not and I just read it because I had to review it. I'd stick to Harry Potter or other, better-written young adult novels, though, I think.
Janie Hepler
I really liked this one. It seems like anything these authors comes out with is simply amazing. The plots are original and fun, the characters are real and likable, and the books are impossible to put down! I hadn't read the first one, and this did an excellent job of catching me up where needed, and I wasn't lost at all.
Kell
When it comes to tales that will grab youngsters and really keep them gripped to the end, you’d be hard pushed to find another writer/illustrator team that can match up to these guys. Return of the Emerald Skull is dark and dangerous and just gruesome enough to appeal to young lads!
MJ
My eight-year-old insisted I needed to read the book since he loved it. It's a quick read and pretty interesting: While it's clearly designed for the young reader crowd, it's interesting enough to make it worth reading if you have a few hours.
Chelsy
Oh, my gosh! This one was so creepy!...
(view spoiler)
Ahh! I love this one!
Abdulel

Neville Ridley-smith
I found this a fun read but often lacking in believability.
I know that sounds silly but even fantasy has to have internal consistency and sometimes I feel this series lacks that.
Antonia
nice. very enjoyable short read about tick-tock lad barnaby grimes and some evil in a school. features the ancient art of using gaps and special pies.
lots of sweet ideas.
Paula Lyle
This book should appeal to boys, in particular, who like an adventure story with a bit of a historical twist. Obviously a popular series and would get kids reading.
Henry
This was a disappointing follow-up to the commendable "Curse of the Night Wolf". I'm a little worried the rest of the series won't live up to the first book.
Sophie
Like the first in the series, it's a quick, fun read. More enjoyable than the first actually, in my opinion, as the story is less predictable.
Maria
Loved this one as well! Very intriguing & frightening story!!
Lizzy
A very, very quick read, more so than the first book in this series. Quite enjoyable.
Floyd
A good children's book if you want to read something scary and adventurous.
Benna
very scary. see Curse of the Night Wolf for review.
Wyntrnoire
Another fun read--and five stars for the artwork.
Aubrey
This was my favorite of the series!!!!
McKaelle
McKaelle marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Molly Alshamar
Molly Alshamar marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Spencer
Spencer marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Bluestockingirl
Bluestockingirl marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Cinnamon Swirl
Cinnamon Swirl marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat
  • Misty Gordon and the Mystery of the Ghost Pirates
  • The Eyeball Collector (Tales From The Sinister City, #3)
  • The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #4)
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • Scary Godmother: Omnibus
  • Edgar Allan's Official Crime Investigation Notebook
  • Doomraga's Revenge (Merlin's Dragon trilogy, #2)
  • Cheesie Mack Is Not a Genius or Anything
  • The Hollow Bettle (Poisons of Caux, #1)
  • The Dragon's Eye: The Dragonology Chronicles, Volume One
  • The Palace of Laughter (The Wednesday Tales, #1)
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)
  • The Secret of Castle Cant: Being an Account of the Remarkable Adventures of Lucy Wickwright, Maidservant and Spy
  • Rise of the Darklings (The Invisible Order, #1)
  • The Paragon Prison (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #3)
  • Never the Bride (Brenda and Effie Mystery #1)
Paul Stewart is a writer of children's books, best known for the bestselling The Edge Chronicles, the Free Lance novels and the Far Flung Adventures series among others. Many of his books are illustrated by Chris Riddell. Paul Stewart lives in the Seaside town Brighton with his wife and children.
-----------------------------------
From Wikipedia: Paul Stewart (writer). (2008, September 18). In Wiki...more
More about Paul Stewart...
Beyond the Deepwoods (Edge Chronicles, #1) Stormchaser (The Edge Chronicles, #2) The Curse of the Gloamglozer (The Edge Chronicles, #4) The Last of the Sky Pirates (Edge Chronicles, #5) Midnight Over Sanctaphrax (Edge Chronicles, #3)