Start by marking “Return of the Emerald Skull (Barnaby Grimes, #2)” as Want to Read:
Return of the Emerald Skull (Barnaby Grimes, #2)

Return of the Emerald Skull (Barnaby Grimes #2)

Barnaby Grimes isa tick-tock lad, running errands in his city, day and night, and high-stacking around the rooftops in search of new mysteries to solve. This is a fantastic romp through a Dickensian-style city, with a wonderful new hero in the guise of Barnaby.

After collecting a strange parcel from a deserted ship in the fog of the docks, and delivering it to the local sch
Published February 10th 2009 by David Fickling Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Return of the Emerald Skull, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return of the Emerald Skull

MadameMelli
War wieder so gut wie der erste Band. Ich mag Barnaby Grimes als Charakter und auch die anderen Charaktere waren gut. Vor allem wegen dem einen freu ich mich auf den nächsten.
Yami
Dec 15, 2014 Yami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars and a half.

there is one thing wrong with this series and that it is ONLY 4 books, MORE NEED TO BE WRITTEN, I am starving for more Grimes's Adventure.

as usual it is a delicious macabre, very original , simple yet brilliant in its imagination, though being the first book it had a glimpse of some other stories , or so it felt to me , which was NOT in the following books at all, they were more unique, but this one had a hint of "lord of the flies, and maybe a tinier hint of "Indiana Jones"
Liz Brooks
May 25, 2017 Greeny Onie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
spooky
Thobe
Nov 28, 2016 Thobe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this in our basement and now I want to read the rest. It was a pleasant surprise.
An Odd1
Apr 15, 2012 An Odd1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
"Return of the Emerald Skull" (Barnaby Grimes) by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell brings Aztec cruelty on the eclipse. Barnaby, lanky Victorian London tick-tock delivery boy starts narration with scariest highlight, raising stone knife commanded by evil whisper to cut out the beating heart, deleting whose, then backtracks. First Barnaby picks up what should be a stuffed catincatapetl bird "the emerald messenger of darkness - named after the Toltec demon god Catincatepetl, Master of the Underworld ...more
alissa
Nov 05, 2015 alissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual I loved the illustrations and the deep sense of place evoked in the narration. I found it a little gruesome for a children's book, and yet a little simple for a preteen or teenage reader. It seems to fall somewhere in between, not really hitting a sweet spot. I wished the side characters were included a little more in the main action. At the same time, the quick-moving and simple plot works to draw the reader into an eyewitness account of horrible happenings. I reckon it works in its ow ...more
Sherrie
Another great addition to this fast paced and atmospheric series. This time I chose the audiobook edition which is narrated by Paul Panting and he does a fabulous job breathing life into these characters. I think his voice for Barnaby is a perfect fit and makes for an even deeper connection with the character. In this volume, Barnaby lends a hand when a once top notch boarding school comes under the control of outside evil forces. Once again Barnaby comes up against unbelievable peril and harrow ...more
FrumpBurger
From the beginning, awkward and irritating. Trying too hard and it's abundantly clear. Plus, I felt like the emerald skull was a little racist, as it's evil but mimics Aztec religious rituals. I dunno. Maybe if I were a 12 yr old boy, this would have done more for me, but I'm not and I just read it because I had to review it. I'd stick to Harry Potter or other, better-written young adult novels, though, I think.
Andrew
Sep 04, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the next in the series i read - (see Nightwolf) and as such does make passing reference to it however reading it you could almost see these books in any order as there is no hard and fast chronology. The same gaslight smog ridden magical and horrifying London comes through and even with such a small book and simple read it still managed to purvey the feel on London from that era which i think is as much a character as any you are likely to meet in these books
Teen Department Homewood Library
Mar 10, 2009 Teen Department Homewood Library rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the supernatural, adventure and action.
Barnaby Grimes is back with another hair-raising adventure. Something evil has taken over Grassington Hall, an all-boys school on the outskirts of London. It's up to Barnaby to find out what's going on and put a stop to the evil force at work there.

This was an excellent quick-read. The authors pull you immediately into the story and don't stop until it's over. New characters are introduced in this second book, and hopefully they'll stick around for subsequent titles. Highly recommended!
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
2.5

This is a pretty fun action-adventure series, with dark tones. It's a quick and easy read, pure brain candy.

Only a 2.5 because while it's fun enough, it's still just a little over ok for me. I'm going to have to resign myself to the fact that there's just not going to be much in the way of character depth or development - but I keep hoping for something more than a serviceable adventure type thing.
Connor
May 08, 2015 Connor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
While I totally love this pair's Edge Chronicles, I don't think this series lives up to that standard. They're quick, enjoyable reads, but they lack in the character growth department and I don't find myself invested in the story. This one also has pretty much nothing to do with the first, so you probably don't have to read these books in any type of order. I'm going to put this series on hold, read all the edge chronicle books that I have left, and then decide if I want to continue or not.
Carterkempgmail.Com
Mar 06, 2016 Carterkempgmail.Com rated it liked it
Shelves: action, adventure
These guys write odd books. This one is set in an almost-London and features a messenger who heroically solves a mystery and rescues a school that's been taken over by an ancient malevolent force. Part mystery, part fantasy, part horror, and part swashbuckling action adventure (heavy on the fight scenes), this not-too-hard-to-read book will grab the occasional kid but the general weirdness will leave most puzzled when they put it down halfway.
Janie
Jul 21, 2009 Janie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I really liked this one. It seems like anything these authors comes out with is simply amazing. The plots are original and fun, the characters are real and likable, and the books are impossible to put down! I hadn't read the first one, and this did an excellent job of catching me up where needed, and I wasn't lost at all.
Abdulel

MJ
Jun 26, 2010 MJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My eight-year-old insisted I needed to read the book since he loved it. It's a quick read and pretty interesting: While it's clearly designed for the young reader crowd, it's interesting enough to make it worth reading if you have a few hours.
Chelsy
Oh, my gosh! This one was so creepy!...
(view spoiler)
Ahh! I love this one!
Owlboyle
Mar 11, 2016 Owlboyle rated it liked it
Barnaby's adventures continue and they are as interesting as his first. The story line is fast paced and keeps you involved all the way through the story. Can't wait for the next installment of his adventures.
Kell
Jan 11, 2012 Kell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
When it comes to tales that will grab youngsters and really keep them gripped to the end, you’d be hard pushed to find another writer/illustrator team that can match up to these guys. Return of the Emerald Skull is dark and dangerous and just gruesome enough to appeal to young lads!
Sophie
Jun 17, 2009 Sophie rated it liked it
Like the first in the series, it's a quick, fun read. More enjoyable than the first actually, in my opinion, as the story is less predictable.
Maria
May 06, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one as well! Very intriguing & frightening story!!
Paula Lyle
Aug 08, 2011 Paula Lyle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This book should appeal to boys, in particular, who like an adventure story with a bit of a historical twist. Obviously a popular series and would get kids reading.
Karen
Jan 27, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I flew through this book. Seriously, this story was a romp from start to finish. And now I want more.
Henry
Feb 23, 2009 Henry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a disappointing follow-up to the commendable "Curse of the Night Wolf". I'm a little worried the rest of the series won't live up to the first book.
William Sarson
Nov 06, 2015 William Sarson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very good story, by one of my personally favorite authors. One seiries he wrote that I enjoyed was the Edge Chronicles.
Aubrey Hinchman
Jul 15, 2013 Aubrey Hinchman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite of the series!!!!
Neville Ridley-smith
I found this a fun read but often lacking in believability.
I know that sounds silly but even fantasy has to have internal consistency and sometimes I feel this series lacks that.
Wyntrnoire
Another fun read--and five stars for the artwork.
Lizzy
Apr 30, 2010 Lizzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-adventure
A very, very quick read, more so than the first book in this series. Quite enjoyable.
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)
  • The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan (Enola Holmes, #4)
  • Misty Gordon and the Mystery of the Ghost Pirates
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline, #1)
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • Ennara and the Book of Shadows (Ennara, #2)
  • The Rat Brain Fiasco (Splurch Academy for Disruptive Boys, #1)
  • Black Dragon Codex (Dragon Codices, #3)
  • Scary Godmother: Omnibus
  • Oddly Normal
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • Edgar Allan's Official Crime Investigation Notebook
  • The Spook's Bestiary (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles)
  • Cheesie Mack Is Not a Genius or Anything
  • The Eyeball Collector (Tales From The Sinister City, #3)
  • Sea Monsters and Other Delicacies (An Awfully Beastly Business, #2)
  • The Shepherd of Weeds (Poisons of Caux, #3)
  • Doomraga's Revenge (Merlin Saga, #7)
Paul Stewart is a highly regarded author of books for young readers – from picture books to football stories, fantasy and horror. Together with Chris Riddell he is co-creator of the bestselling Edge Chronicles, which has sold more than three million copies and is available in over twenty languages. They have also collaborated together on lots of other exciting books for children of all ages. The F ...more
More about Paul Stewart...

Barnaby Grimes (4 books)
  • Curse of the Night Wolf (Barnaby Grimes, #1)
  • Legion of the Dead (Barnaby Grimes, # 3)
  • Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)