Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories
Preview

The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  499 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The first major collection of new and classic haunted-house tales by masters of the form. Vengeful ghosts and kind ones, violent poltergeists and innocent shades, phantasmal victims and evil specters with intentions ranging from the horrific to the erotic - spirits of every sort haunt the houses in this anthology of tales by such distinguished writers as Joan Aiken, Robert ...more
Published November 30th 2000 by Carroll & Graf Publishers (first published November 12th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I found this volume to be very good reading. Pretty much all of these stories were thrilling, and some were extremely scary, necessitating a brief break before I could continue reading. Some were more sad than anything, with spirits who had no where left to go, so they lingered on the earthly plane in a limbo. It took several months to finish reading this book, but this is the kind of book you read in sessions anyway. Definitely makes me glad that I live in a brand new house. One of my favorites ...more
Amy
I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of this book. I have been reading ghost stories for so many years that many stories feel formulaic to me. I am also delighted when I find a large collection of stories that are not repeats for me and that I have a hard time predicting how the stories will end. Plus, the authors represented here are very talented. I really enjoyed a lot of the language and description that they provided. Several of the stories are instant classics with me and I'm glad tat I ...more
France-Andrée
It took me a while to read this because I tended to read a short story or two between books, but I really enjoyed most of the stories. It is quite uneven though some stories are really good, others just make you say : "bah". I think my favorite part of the book is the last section where the favorite haunted house short stories of the stars of horror movies are presented; I especially liked the favorite of Vincent Price The Waxwork by A.M. Burrage. I also really enjoyed Boris Karloff's favorite T ...more
Linda
I love "horror" stories! None of them really frighten me, but I like to see if I can figure out the endings. This one has many, many interesting stories from Victorian to Stephen King. Some are by well-known writers - Gaston Leroux (Phantom of the Opera), Bram Stoker (Dracula), H. G. Well (this one is REALLY funny!!!!), and Stephen King. Most are by authors you probably don't know unless you follow this genre and have read many of the old classic authors like M. R. James.

My absolute favorite in
William Light
Feb 03, 2009 William Light is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid collection of ghost tales. I was surprised to learn that even Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote supernatural stories!
Priyanka Haldar
Mammoth book of Haunted House Stories by Peter Haining is a collection of real life and fictional of haunted house stories by writers around the world.

I was really terror stricken while reading some of the hardcore horror stories in this book. That is what horror stories do to you. I read many horror stories till date but mammoth book is the ultimate book where you will get all the greatest horror stories of all times in one place. This book has a wide variety of horror to offer you, ranging fr
Matt
I think most importantly, if you are going to put together a collection of stories under the banner "Haunted House Stories" you might want to make sure that all the stories are about haunted houses. While this is somewhat not the case here, I still enjoyed the bulk of it. I should also mention that the number of stories written before 1930 vastly outnumbered those that were more modern. I guess I had expected a book of modern stories about haunted houses. Not necessarily a book containing quite ...more
Kaethe
I really like to read ghost stories, even though I don't read much short fiction these days. Ghost stories and Christmas stories, though, I still enjoy.
angela
read it before it was ok
Angel
I love ghost stories! There were only maybe 3 or 4 short stories that I didn't care for. I really like the section they added at the end that has the favorite stories of Vincent Price, Robert Englund, Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney, Peter Cushing and Christoper Lee. That was awesome.
Rachel
Lots of wonderful spooky stories that (for the most part) lack the cheesiness that pervades the vast majority of ghost story anthologies. The selection of authors is great, and although I own a ton of ghosty anthologies, there were tons in here that I hadn't read before.
Jeanine
What a fascinating collection of haunted house stories. It includes authors from Bram Stoker to Stephen King. The stories are from the 1880's through the 1970's and each is just plain creepy and starling in its own way. I highly recommend this book - its definitely five star.
Sian Jones
As tends to be the case with these big collections, some stories are dull, some are good, some are better. This particular anthology leans heavily towards the 19th century, but I tended to like the stories from the 20th century for their slightly less canonical flavor.
Amy Corwin
Although I had read a number of stories from this collection before, about half were previously unknown to me. I enjoyed them all--it was a perfect collection of eerie haunted house stories. None were overly graphic (which is often a problem with horror stories).
Jimmie
Spooky stories for October. My favorite section of stories were the favorite of past horror stars like Lon Chaney, Vincent Price and Bela Lugosi. And Bram Stoker, Stephen King, McKnight Malmar and A. M. Burrage stories were creepy!
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
I must say that if I read a book blurb and a house and ghost are mentioned there is a 99.8% chance that I will read said book, so this collection was a little slice of heaven for me.
peaseblossom
A decent anthology with some hits and some misses and quite a few stories I'd read before. Most of them even manage to be about haunted houses.
Brandi
These were some great stories however it took FOREVER to read. If you like short ghost stories these are the ones for you.
Kimberly
seriously "MAMMOTH". Loved most of the stories. Lots of old fashioned haunted manor house stories.
Kristin
didn't read full book it's too long. Read first 2 stories
Kent
How do I read it is this free was wondering
Crickett
its ok,not the best ever in my opinion
Ginny Goldberg
So far it is interesting.
☯Bettie☯
Holly Straub
Holly Straub marked it as to-read
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Dolna
Dolna marked it as to-read
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
  • 100 Ghastly Little Ghost Stories
  • Ghost Stories
  • Haunted Heartland
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • Best New Horror (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, Best Of)
  • The Haunted: One Family's Nightmare
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
  • Grave's End: A True Ghost Story
Peter Alexander Haining (April 2, 1940 – November 19, 2007) was a British journalist, author and anthologist who lived and worked in Suffolk. Born in Enfield, Middlesex, he began his career as a reporter in Essex and then moved to London where he worked on a trade magazine before joining the publishing house of New English Library.

Haining achieved the position of Editorial Director before becoming
More about Peter Haining...
The Flying Sorcerers: More Comic Tales of Fantasy The Wizards of Odd The Mammoth Book of Modern Ghost Stories Knights Of Madness Doctor Who: A Celebration; Two Decades Through Time and Space