Start by marking “Laura's Early Years Collection (Little House, #1, #2, #4)” as Want to Read:
Laura's Early Years Collection (Little House, #1, #2, #4)

Laura's Early Years Collection (Little House #1-2, 4)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  1,086 ratings  ·  86 reviews
Three treasured novels in paperback--"Little House in the Big Woods, Little House on the Prairie", and "On the Banks of Plum Creek"--shrink-wrapped together in a beautifully designed package.
Published (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Laura's Early Years Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Laura's Early Years Collection

Rory
Apr 18, 2008 Rory rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: you, silly, if you haven't read them
Shelves: kids
I'm re-reading several of the Little House books to prepare for a Laura Ingalls Wilder party that Shelley H. and I are doing at work next week.

These books NEVER get old. I mean, they're old, sure, but they never lose their immersive magic.

Even knowing that Laura wasn't actually old enough to experience the Big Woods first-hand and that the Little House on the Prairie was kind of a bust and that the Banks of Plum Creek probably weren't as enchanting as she made them out to be...well, it doesn't
Jeremiah
Pa is a grizzly & wonderful guy and Ma is sweet. One of my favorite parts of the book tells of a time when the girls were bored, so for fun Pa blew up a pig's bladder and gave it to the girls. The played with it for days! My other favorite part is when Laura receives for Christmas one shiny penny, a piece of a tasty honeycomb, & her own tin cup-and she was thrilled to have her own tin cup. This book is great but I didn't read the whole series because as a young boy I became bored as Laur ...more
Mary
When I was in first grade I discovered the Little House series and my love of reading was born. My friend Holly and I used to be obsessed with these books and we would read and act them out together. Santa Clause brought me the entire series for Christmas when I was 7 or 8 and I read these books more times than I can count. I still have all of the books (minus one that I ruined while I was trying to read it while taking a bath) and I am excited to pass them on to my daughter.
Amber
I read these books to my kids last year and they loved them. They are full of simple stories of a simpler time and simply delightful. (On the Banks of Plum Creek was our favorite - there are a couple of funny stories in there that we love.) It is intriguing for kids to read of how people used to work, bake, hunt, etc., etc. I was surprised how much I had forgotten since I had read them as a child.
Melinda
I spent the summer after kindergarten with my grandparents, and my grandmother used to read these to me at naptime (she'd usually fall asleep and so I would go to see what grandpa was up to). But, as long as she was reading I would stay put and listen as my imagination was filled with the fantastic images of being a girl in those days.
C
Jul 12, 2007 C added it
Shelves: childhood
I ENJOYED LEARNING ABOUT HER LIFE AND ENJOYING ALL OF THE TECHNOLOGY WE HAVE NOW COMPARED TO THEN. IT MADE ME APPRECIATE THINGS NOW
Ali
May 11, 2008 Ali rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ali by: Mom
I used to LOVE these! I read them all the time whenever I stayed home from school sick.
Miranda
Apr 27, 2008 Miranda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Miranda by: my mom
This is the best series of books!!!!I recomend it to everyone!
Tina Bryan
Apr 27, 2008 Tina Bryan is currently reading it
Visha
Jan 26, 2009 Visha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Visha by: Ms. Call, bless her!
A childhood pleasure revisited!

My fondest memories of elementary school were of Ms. Call, the librarian, and her bookish domain. My favorite times at grade school were those hours sitting at Ms. Call's feet while she read aloud to the class, then the ten minutes or so after "storytime" when we were allowed to pick out books for our personal reading. For some reason, I was a huge series fan - would pick one author and then read all of his/her books: Walter Farley's Black Stallion series, Judy Bl
Kellie
So apparently Little House in the Big Woods is a deep book. Or at least Megan thought so. When we finished it, she immediately started asking me why all kids have a mom and a dad and how it is that kids a long time ago had a mom and a dad, and who fed them (she determined that Jesus must have fed them).

We finally figured out that she was referring to Adam and Even and how they were able to grow up without a mom and dad.

It was an interesting conversation, all sprung from Laura Ingalls Wilder refl
Allyson
Always love Laura Ingalls Wilder. I hadn't read On the Banks of Plum Creek so that was a new one.
Cabracrazy18
I love these books. It's wonderful to read about the simpler life that the pioneers lived. It makes you appreciate the ease of life these days, but also fills you with almost a nostalgia over something that you may have never even had. I great read for kids and adults alike.
Holly  S.
We finally finished reading these after many prolonged months. Not to say we did not enjoy them, we did. It just took us a long time reading them aloud here and there. I am pleased as punch that Annelise has been exposed to the goodness of Little House on the Prairie and that she enjoyed listening to the adventures of Laura and her family. We decided to take a break from the prairie for a while, but hope to read more. As Annelise gets older she can relate to an older Laura as well.
weehen Ito
I adore these books, I just keep coming back to them again and again.... particularly 'Little House in the Big Woods'. They capture an era so beautifully, a time that is lost forever, when pioneers struggled to survive, but maple syrup flowed sweet, meats were smoked with hickory chips and wolves bayed outside your door. These stories are absolute magic, and firmly planted in many of my childhood dreams.
Audra
I read this to my kids at night. I loved it the first time I read it last year, and enjoyed reading it to my kids. But I did censor some of it for the kids, ie. some of the hunting/butchering stuff, and the comments of how Laura thought her brown hair was ugly. Didn't want my 4 year old to get that kind of talk stuck in her head. But the kids enjoyed the book and want to read the next one.
Claire
While Anne of Green Gables beat out Little House on tv, the Laura Ingalls Wilder books beat out Anne in print. The early years were my favorite out of all the collections. On the Shores of Silver Creek, which come in the next box set has this chapter about Jack that made me really think about Buster. With Buster dying, all I could think of was Jack and how it was time.
Samia
I really used to enjoy reading Laura Ignalls Wilder's books when i was younger..

Don't get me wrong, i still like them, it's just that, i think i read all of her books in the series already...

They really seemed to calm me down and i loved the different plots that the family had to deal with.

It gave me the feeling of living in a world back then.. =)
Mary
My very favorite childhood memory is Mom reading these books to us on the porch swing. Also, she would cry every time we got to the Christmas part where Laura and Mary are so thrilled to get a penny and an orange...I think that's when I first learned you can cry when you are touched about something, not just when you're sad.
Emily
Eh. It definetly gave me a view on what pioneer life was. It wasn't one of my favorite books, but I'm sure some historian people would like it. It couldn't hold me to the edge of my seat, but I can stand to read. it. i'm not saying that most people would have a problem with this book, but it's very simple.
CC
I first read these books when I was seven. I loved them. I enjoyed reading them to my children. The only thing I didn't care for was Laura's negative attitude about church. Not wanting my children to adopt the negative views of church I grew up with, I just skipped those portions of the book.
Allie
I loved the Laura Ingalls story and her childhood memories, with out the stress of growing up on the prairie. Her day to day life is so different and interesting, the things that she looks forward to, the things that entertain and excite her, it is so entiging.
Derek
Reading these books to my daughter each night, 30 years after I originally read them, has been very rewarding. So much detail that I didn't remember, a pleasure to read out loud, and my daughter looks forward to continuing the story every day.
Kelly
I read this aloud to Logan. I had always loved all the Little House books. I read them often as a child. Re-reading now, with my five year old (Laura is also five in this book), was a very fun experience.
Always a wonderful read!
Jessica
this is a good book so far and I still like reading her books their are many other laura ingalls wilder books and they are really really easy to read this one is good so far only because I havn't finished it yet.
Kristal
A classic read aloud. All children should have the Little House series read to them - even boys! My boys are enjoying Little House in the Big Woods being read to them, now. They are almost 7 and 9 years old.
Wendy Roberts
My kids read this book for their library book club...I enjoyed hearing them reading out loud to one another. These books never lose their joy for me and I absolutely love that my kids are reading and loving them too.
Shimmywith4
I've actually only read the first two so far, but I love them so far. I love how much detail she puts into describing everything. It makes me thing that perhaps I should re-work how I keep a journal.
Lisa
Such a wonderful reminder of my childhood! These books are classics that every little child should read. They make me smile thinking about some of the wonderful stories and places that Laura lived in.
Katie-Lee
Laura Ingalls Wilder was one of my favorite childhood authors. I would highly recommend her stories no matter your age. I have read them over and over again, finding them wonderfully interesting.
  • Prairie Girl: The Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Little Polar Bear Finds a Friend
  • Pioneer Girl: The Story of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Nancy Drew: #1-6 [Box Set]
  • The Four Seasons of Brambly Hedge
  • Bachelor Girl (Little House: The Rose Years, #8)
  • Barbapapa
  • Heaven to Betsy & Betsy in Spite of Herself
  • The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures
  • Painted Pages: Fueling Creativity with Sketchbooks and Mixed Media
  • Wolf Story
  • Bus Station Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #18)
  • Winter Cottage
  • Ed Emberley's Great Thumbprint Drawing Book
  • The Giant Rat of Sumatra: or Pirates Galore
  • The Adventures of Peter Cottontail
  • Wayside School Boxed Set (Wayside School #1-3)
  • Horton Hears a Who and Other Sounds of Dr. Seuss: Horton Hears a Who; Horton Hatches the Egg; Thidwick, the Big-Hearted Moose
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.
More about Laura Ingalls Wilder...

Little House (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1)
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2)
  • Farmer Boy (Little House, #3)
  • On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4)
  • By the Shores of Silver Lake  (Little House, #5)
  • The Long Winter (Little House, #6)
  • Little Town on the Prairie  (Little House, #7)
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)
  • The First Four Years  (Little House, #9)
  • On the Way Home: The Diary of a Trip from South Dakota to Mansfield, Missouri, in 1894  (Little House #10)
Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2) Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1) The Little House Collection (Little House, #1-9) On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4) Little Town on the Prairie  (Little House, #7)