Start by marking “Laura's Early Years Collection (Little House, #1, #2, #4)” as Want to Read:
Laura's Early Years Collection (Little House, #1, #2, #4)

Laura's Early Years Collection (Little House #1-2, 4)

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  1,104 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
Three treasured novels in paperback--"Little House in the Big Woods, Little House on the Prairie", and "On the Banks of Plum Creek"--shrink-wrapped together in a beautifully designed package.
Published (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Laura's Early Years Collection, please sign up.

Barbara Haunton The originals (all but the first were completely illustrated by Mildred Boyle) were sold on Amazon, but their increasing value puts them in the rare…moreThe originals (all but the first were completely illustrated by Mildred Boyle) were sold on Amazon, but their increasing value puts them in the rare book category. You can give your ID to rare booksellers or search the web to find them.

The non-first edition copies aren't worth thousands of dollars but are becoming harder to find. The Little House books, illustrated by my husband's lovely aunt, have become an international phenomenon.

Mildred also created art for other books (also collectibles), Jack and Jill magazine, etc. She traveled the world with her sister, an honored Brooklyn kindergarten teacher. She often took my husband to museums and tourist sites when he was a boy. The sisters moved from Brooklyn to Leisure Village (NJ) where they remained active into their eighties.(less)

Rory
Apr 18, 2008 Rory rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: you, silly, if you haven't read them
Shelves: kids
I'm re-reading several of the Little House books to prepare for a Laura Ingalls Wilder party that Shelley H. and I are doing at work next week.

These books NEVER get old. I mean, they're old, sure, but they never lose their immersive magic.

Even knowing that Laura wasn't actually old enough to experience the Big Woods first-hand and that the Little House on the Prairie was kind of a bust and that the Banks of Plum Creek probably weren't as enchanting as she made them out to be...well, it doesn't
Jeremiah
Mar 01, 2008 Jeremiah rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Pa is a grizzly & wonderful guy and Ma is sweet. One of my favorite parts of the book tells of a time when the girls were bored, so for fun Pa blew up a pig's bladder and gave it to the girls. The played with it for days! My other favorite part is when Laura receives for Christmas one shiny penny, a piece of a tasty honeycomb, & her own tin cup-and she was thrilled to have her own tin cup. This book is great but I didn't read the whole series because as a young boy I became bored as Laur ...more
Amber
Mar 04, 2008 Amber rated it really liked it
I read these books to my kids last year and they loved them. They are full of simple stories of a simpler time and simply delightful. (On the Banks of Plum Creek was our favorite - there are a couple of funny stories in there that we love.) It is intriguing for kids to read of how people used to work, bake, hunt, etc., etc. I was surprised how much I had forgotten since I had read them as a child.
Mary
Apr 22, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing
When I was in first grade I discovered the Little House series and my love of reading was born. My friend Holly and I used to be obsessed with these books and we would read and act them out together. Santa Clause brought me the entire series for Christmas when I was 7 or 8 and I read these books more times than I can count. I still have all of the books (minus one that I ruined while I was trying to read it while taking a bath) and I am excited to pass them on to my daughter.
Melinda
Mar 15, 2008 Melinda rated it it was amazing
I spent the summer after kindergarten with my grandparents, and my grandmother used to read these to me at naptime (she'd usually fall asleep and so I would go to see what grandpa was up to). But, as long as she was reading I would stay put and listen as my imagination was filled with the fantastic images of being a girl in those days.
Ali
May 11, 2008 Ali rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ali by: Mom
I used to LOVE these! I read them all the time whenever I stayed home from school sick.
Tina Bryan
Apr 27, 2008 Tina Bryan is currently reading it
C
Jul 12, 2007 C added it
Shelves: childhood
I ENJOYED LEARNING ABOUT HER LIFE AND ENJOYING ALL OF THE TECHNOLOGY WE HAVE NOW COMPARED TO THEN. IT MADE ME APPRECIATE THINGS NOW
Miranda
Apr 27, 2008 Miranda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Miranda by: my mom
This is the best series of books!!!!I recomend it to everyone!
Visha
Jan 26, 2009 Visha rated it really liked it
Recommended to Visha by: Ms. Call, bless her!
A childhood pleasure revisited!

My fondest memories of elementary school were of Ms. Call, the librarian, and her bookish domain. My favorite times at grade school were those hours sitting at Ms. Call's feet while she read aloud to the class, then the ten minutes or so after "storytime" when we were allowed to pick out books for our personal reading. For some reason, I was a huge series fan - would pick one author and then read all of his/her books: Walter Farley's Black Stallion series, Judy Bl
Kellie
May 03, 2010 Kellie rated it it was ok
So apparently Little House in the Big Woods is a deep book. Or at least Megan thought so. When we finished it, she immediately started asking me why all kids have a mom and a dad and how it is that kids a long time ago had a mom and a dad, and who fed them (she determined that Jesus must have fed them).

We finally figured out that she was referring to Adam and Even and how they were able to grow up without a mom and dad.

It was an interesting conversation, all sprung from Laura Ingalls Wilder refl
Ann L.
Nov 26, 2016 Ann L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: children
I read these stories as a kid, but I'm so glad I read it a second time as an adult. It really opened my eyes! First of all, life back then was soooo different than it is now.

Kids got excited over peppermint sticks as Christmas gifts from Santa Claus. Tin cups, red mittens, things of this nature were gifts kids received at Christmas, and they were very happy to receive them. Living was all about survival, about building your own home, shooting animals for food, growing your own vegetables. Cloth
Holly S.
Feb 23, 2008 Holly S. rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
We finally finished reading these after many prolonged months. Not to say we did not enjoy them, we did. It just took us a long time reading them aloud here and there. I am pleased as punch that Annelise has been exposed to the goodness of Little House on the Prairie and that she enjoyed listening to the adventures of Laura and her family. We decided to take a break from the prairie for a while, but hope to read more. As Annelise gets older she can relate to an older Laura as well.
weehen Ito
Sep 18, 2008 weehen Ito rated it it was amazing
I adore these books, I just keep coming back to them again and again.... particularly 'Little House in the Big Woods'. They capture an era so beautifully, a time that is lost forever, when pioneers struggled to survive, but maple syrup flowed sweet, meats were smoked with hickory chips and wolves bayed outside your door. These stories are absolute magic, and firmly planted in many of my childhood dreams.
Claire
Aug 24, 2008 Claire rated it it was amazing
While Anne of Green Gables beat out Little House on tv, the Laura Ingalls Wilder books beat out Anne in print. The early years were my favorite out of all the collections. On the Shores of Silver Creek, which come in the next box set has this chapter about Jack that made me really think about Buster. With Buster dying, all I could think of was Jack and how it was time.
Emily
Eh. It definetly gave me a view on what pioneer life was. It wasn't one of my favorite books, but I'm sure some historian people would like it. It couldn't hold me to the edge of my seat, but I can stand to read. it. i'm not saying that most people would have a problem with this book, but it's very simple.
Samia
Nov 27, 2009 Samia rated it liked it
I really used to enjoy reading Laura Ignalls Wilder's books when i was younger..

Don't get me wrong, i still like them, it's just that, i think i read all of her books in the series already...

They really seemed to calm me down and i loved the different plots that the family had to deal with.

It gave me the feeling of living in a world back then.. =)
Audra
May 28, 2009 Audra rated it liked it
I read this to my kids at night. I loved it the first time I read it last year, and enjoyed reading it to my kids. But I did censor some of it for the kids, ie. some of the hunting/butchering stuff, and the comments of how Laura thought her brown hair was ugly. Didn't want my 4 year old to get that kind of talk stuck in her head. But the kids enjoyed the book and want to read the next one.
Lisa
Nov 20, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
Such a wonderful reminder of my childhood! These books are classics that every little child should read. They make me smile thinking about some of the wonderful stories and places that Laura lived in.
Derek
Feb 28, 2010 Derek rated it really liked it
Reading these books to my daughter each night, 30 years after I originally read them, has been very rewarding. So much detail that I didn't remember, a pleasure to read out loud, and my daughter looks forward to continuing the story every day.
CC
Feb 26, 2009 CC rated it liked it
I first read these books when I was seven. I loved them. I enjoyed reading them to my children. The only thing I didn't care for was Laura's negative attitude about church. Not wanting my children to adopt the negative views of church I grew up with, I just skipped those portions of the book.
Kelly
Oct 04, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I read this aloud to Logan. I had always loved all the Little House books. I read them often as a child. Re-reading now, with my five year old (Laura is also five in this book), was a very fun experience.
Always a wonderful read!
Allie
Nov 06, 2008 Allie rated it really liked it
I loved the Laura Ingalls story and her childhood memories, with out the stress of growing up on the prairie. Her day to day life is so different and interesting, the things that she looks forward to, the things that entertain and excite her, it is so entiging.
Kristal
Jan 17, 2010 Kristal rated it really liked it
A classic read aloud. All children should have the Little House series read to them - even boys! My boys are enjoying Little House in the Big Woods being read to them, now. They are almost 7 and 9 years old.
Shimmywith4
Sep 15, 2009 Shimmywith4 rated it really liked it
I've actually only read the first two so far, but I love them so far. I love how much detail she puts into describing everything. It makes me thing that perhaps I should re-work how I keep a journal.
Jessica
Apr 21, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing
this is a good book so far and I still like reading her books their are many other laura ingalls wilder books and they are really really easy to read this one is good so far only because I havn't finished it yet.
Cabracrazy18
Jan 14, 2015 Cabracrazy18 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books. It's wonderful to read about the simpler life that the pioneers lived. It makes you appreciate the ease of life these days, but also fills you with almost a nostalgia over something that you may have never even had. I great read for kids and adults alike.
Wendy Roberts
Dec 22, 2009 Wendy Roberts rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-non-fiction
My kids read this book for their library book club...I enjoyed hearing them reading out loud to one another. These books never lose their joy for me and I absolutely love that my kids are reading and loving them too.
Merritt
Aug 14, 2008 Merritt rated it really liked it
So cute! Little stories about a little girl. So realistic: which I guess, is reasonable, since this is a sort of autobiography.
Hannah
Jan 15, 2010 Hannah rated it really liked it
it was a cute book.
  • Oh, What A Busy Day!
  • Little Polar Bear Finds a Friend
  • What Katy Did at School and What Katy Did Next (Wordsworth Classics) (Wordsworth Children's Classics)
  • Nancy Drew: #1-6 [Box Set]
  • Pioneer Girl: The Story of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • I Can Be Anything!
  • The Four Seasons of Brambly Hedge
  • The Invisible Kingdom
  • Bachelor Girl (Little House: The Rose Years, #8)
  • Village Diary (Chronicles of Fairacre, #2)
  • Painted Pages: Fueling Creativity with Sketchbooks and Mixed Media
  • The Tree in the Courtyard: Looking Through Anne Frank's Window
  • Before I Was Born (God’s Design for Sex #2)
  • The Giant Rat of Sumatra: or Pirates Galore
  • Winter Cottage
  • Bus Station Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #18)
  • When the Moon Forgot
  • The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.
More about Laura Ingalls Wilder...

Little House (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1)
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2)
  • Farmer Boy (Little House, #3)
  • On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4)
  • By the Shores of Silver Lake  (Little House, #5)
  • The Long Winter (Little House, #6)
  • Little Town on the Prairie  (Little House, #7)
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)
  • The First Four Years  (Little House, #9)
  • On the Way Home: The Diary of a Trip from South Dakota to Mansfield, Missouri, in 1894  (Little House #10)