Start by marking “The Case of the Runaway Corpse (Perry Mason Series)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Runaway Corpse (Perry Mason Series)

The Case of the Runaway Corpse (Perry Mason #44)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  785 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews

DEAD MAN'S DRIVE

Her husband was stealing her money, while accusing her of a plot to poison him -- or so claims the frightened young Mrs. Myrna Davenport. She wants Perry Mason to find the incriminating note her husband left for the authorities accusing her of murder -- especially now that Davenport is dying.

Perry finds the envelope, but it's filled with blank paper. Then

Mass Market Paperback, 210 pages
Published March 13th 1990 by Fawcett (first published March 13th 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Runaway Corpse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Runaway Corpse

Becky
Jul 14, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it
The Case of the Runaway Corpse is my first Perry Mason novel, and I was definitely happy with it! In this detective novel, Perry Mason is hired by an unhappily married woman with a dying husband. The husband has been talking badly about her, telling others that his wife is trying to kill him, hinting that his wife has killed before. His wife, Myrna Davenport, knows that her husband has allegedly written a letter that will be delivered to the authorities if/when he dies. A letter that supposedly ...more
Lelyana

Read it 20 years ago, before Goodreads, so, marked.
I read this book when I still loved detective stories back then. Still am, but I need a bit or more romance in my books that is.
Ed
Aug 29, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it
Shelves: legal, mystery
#44 in the Perry Mason series. Perry gains an introverted client with an extroverted aunt. The client is accused of murdering her husband and the aunt wants to dominate the case. Perry is kept hopping trying to determine when and if the husband was murdered, what was the murder weapon and how was the murder done, oh! and who did it. Good fun.

Perry Mason series - Her husband was stealing her money, while accusing her of a plot to poison him -- or so claims the frightened young Mrs. Myrna Davenpor
Helena
Oct 12, 2009 Helena rated it it was amazing
I LOVE PERRY MASON BOOKS! I found my dads collection when I was 12, and I read every one I could get my hands on. Its great if you want to step back into a time when girls were "dames" and the craziest schemes were the perfect way to win court cases and solve crimes. Think Casablanca meets Nancy Drew
Abbas
Oct 06, 2012 Abbas rated it liked it
One of my earliest Perry Mason stories...read it as a teenager in Karachi and was hooked to legal fiction!!! No way near Scott Turow of course but what a help he was in my spoken fencing skills!!!
Dani Noviandi
Buku pertama Perry mason yang saya baca. Sempat sangta tergiur dengan embel-embel “Penulis Kisah Misteri Terlaris di Dunia”, ternyata Erle Stanley Gardner, si penulis buku ini membuat saya agak kecewa. Entah, saya yang kurang cocok membaca buku sejenis ini, atau memang ceritanya yang membosankan. Untuk sekedar meraba, mungkin benar salah satu ucapan teman saya bahwa Perry Mason sejenis dengan karya-karya John Grisham, walau setahu saya Grisham lebih intens mengangkat masalah tentang hukum dan pe ...more
Mukesh Kumar
Hmm,did I detect some chemistry between Mr Mason and Ms Street ? Very interesting and dare I say, charming, especially for characters that were supposed to be cardboard caricatures...
And the story...well another cold, brutally logical one, with such a sugary ending, that it should be repulsive, but I actually found it sweet...probably because of the general pleasant settings of the novel and the simpler times in which the story is set.
And the denouement was well worth the wait.
What more does on
Royce Ratterman
Feb 24, 2016 Royce Ratterman rated it it was amazing

Perry Mason proved to be the best of the 'olden days' crime fiction.
I spent my train to work trips reading 1-2 books per week and found this book to be a gem of the vintage crime genre.
Rupesh Goenka
Oct 29, 2014 Rupesh Goenka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Perry Mason is tricky, shrewd, crooked, intimating & diabolically clever lawyer.. Brilliant!!
Michele bookloverforever
Perry Mason does it again. good characters, good plot. 1 corpse...how many poisons?
Keerthana
Jul 22, 2014 Keerthana rated it really liked it
As brilliant a read as any other Perry Mason book.
Les Anderson
Feb 22, 2016 Les Anderson rated it it was amazing
One of the better Perry Mason stories, even if I had figured out the first step at about the same time Perry did. Glad to see a good D.A. finally portrayed.
Steve
Jan 21, 2016 Steve rated it really liked it
Good read. Story moves along well. Not as dated as you wood think.
Doug Dams
Oct 15, 2011 Doug Dams rated it really liked it
This starts out with a client afraid he will be murdered by his wife. But when his murder is reported the corpse can not be found. Mason locates it in a motel room, but it disappears from there before he can report it to police. Mason of course has a client accused of the murder and he has to solve the crime and why someone keeps moving the corpse. A pretty good mystery.
Nags
One of the most fast-paced murder mysteries I have ever read. Perry Mason is quick, witty, charming, and outright brilliant. The ending was a bit of a wet mop on the whole pace of the book but I really don't see how else it could have gone. It did keep me guessing until almost the end though.

A quick and easy read, try it!
Carissa Norris
Jan 14, 2013 Carissa Norris rated it really liked it
Good mystery. I stopped to think about the solution several times and got one part of it right, but not the details. Laughed at some fun banter between Perry and Della. I really liked the DA in this one. I would have liked to have seen less courtroom, more action, but still a good story nonetheless.
James Vest
Dec 10, 2012 James Vest rated it really liked it
A great mystery, lots of twists, the biggest one being the DA and Mason's mutual cooperation to see the right person behind bars. The courtroom revelation is electric, easing into a nice toast, "To crime."
Mike Jensen
May 17, 2009 Mike Jensen rated it liked it
I've probably read about 10 Perry Mason books over the years, and they run from "really fun" to "crappy." This is pretty good, but best of it being the intelligence displayed by the characters.
Kavita
Jul 05, 2012 Kavita rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
An excellent book! The one I desperately wanted to be the murderer wasn't the murderer, so a little disappointed. But that's hardly the author's fault. :D
Rijo John
Dec 28, 2013 Rijo John rated it really liked it
Very good mystery and well thought out plot!
Michele
Apr 18, 2012 Michele rated it really liked it
I love living in the Perry Mason time period vicariously through these novels. Fun to read
Vincent Darlage
Dec 09, 2010 Vincent Darlage rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Interesting conclusion. I wondered how everything was going to tie in, but everything did.
Nellysa
Feb 27, 2014 Nellysa rated it really liked it
interesting!!
Meri
Jan 03, 2009 Meri added it
Shelves: novel
novel terjemahan
Sarah Thomas
Sarah Thomas rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Venkata Subrahmanyam
Venkata Subrahmanyam marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Vandana Manish
Vandana Manish rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
Sundar
Sundar marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Shri
Shri added it
May 16, 2016
  • Cat Of Many Tails
  • Please Pass the Guilt (Nero Wolfe, #45)
  • The Past Never Ends
  • The R Document
  • The Secret Heart
  • The Bigger They Come
  • The Mating Season (Kansas, Americana, #16)

More about Erle Stanley Gardner...

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason Mysteries)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (Perry Mason #9)
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager (Perry Mason Mystery)